Australia: Calls for drinking age to be raised to 21

webfact

Calls for drinking age to be raised to 21
Julia Medew
Health Editor

SYDNEY: -- Pressure is mounting for Australian governments to raise the legal drinking age to 21 to protect the health of young people whose brains are still vulnerable to the toxicity of alcohol at 18, leading health experts say.

Four professors of mental health and public health have joined a growing list of influential Australians to call for a new legal drinking age that would bring Australia in line with the US where people cannot buy alcohol until they are 21.

They say raising the age limit would protect young people from the brain damage that can be caused by too much alcohol and the harms associated with being drunk, such as car accidents and violence.

Writing in the Medical Journal of Australia, John Toumbourou of Deakin University’s School of Psychology, Ian Hickie of the Brain & Mind Research Institute, Kypros Kypri of the School of Medicine and Public Health at the University of Newcastle, and Sandra Jones from the Centre for Health Initiatives at the University of Wollongong, said there was increasing evidence that the accessibility of alcohol from the age of 18 was causing great harm to young people.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/national/calls-for-drinking-age-to-be-raised-to-21-20140512-zraj6.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-05-12

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first seen the headlines I thought it was going to be about the coward punches that have been going on.

Us old blokes know them as king hits.

To much big brother stuff these days.

Yep mate your right you can die for your country but you can't have a bloody drink!

If they get their way that is.

Can't see it happening.

• Like 1

Gawd, soon people in Oz will just be packed into cotton wool and everything remotely fun will be illegal. They can still join the army at 18 though I guess.

So they are allowed to die for their country, but they can't buy a glass of beer? w00t.gif

I think 16 in Austria......Some places in Germany I think 14...a 7 year difference w00t.gif

Gawd, soon people in Oz will just be packed into cotton wool and everything remotely fun will be illegal. They can still join the army at 18 though I guess.

So they are allowed to die for their country, but they can't buy a glass of beer? w00t.gif

I think 16 in Austria......Some places in Germany I think 14...a 7 year difference w00t.gif

14 in Germany for beer and wine as long as they are accompanied by a legal guardian.

• Like 1

Oh come on neverdie, what makes you such an expert? Yes, I agree that some people can't hold their alcohol. Some are just going to cause trouble no matter what happens. That is just a small portion of the population. Yes, I understand what you are trying to say, in your narrow viewpoint, but not everyone who drinks at a young age is going to rape or beat up on people. I have seen older guys get intoxicated and take out their frustrations on a nearby passerby as well.

• Like 1

All the drug dealers are waiting for this age increase to happen - it will boost their sales several hundreds of percents.

The problem with these limits is the same as for prohibition in the 1930's, it will only boost the demand. If the youths do not get alcophol, they WILL find other substances to mess their head with.

• Like 1

Of cause Hanno, I should point out, not all children are the same but there's DEFINATELY a problem with young idiots, drinking. A few extra years to grow up couldn't be such a bad thing.

Alcohol is the most destructive drug out there. It actually costs on society is HUGE. Assaults, violence, injuries, deaths, motor vehicle accidents, malicious damage, child abuse and many more and that's all before we address the health related costs of it. I don't see why the statistics that relate to alcohol related problems are so accepted by society.

Is it the case that people are happy to let the Police constantly wipe up the mess left behind by alcohol, just so they can maintain their nightly binge pattern?

Have you even any iota of an idea of what my two eyes have seen as a result of alcohol abuse. Ask any Australian Police Officer, they soon tell you, not withstanding that many of them also hit the bottle to deal with what they've seen.

It's always interesting to see what peoples ideas of 'alcohol abuse' actually are.

Personally, I don't understand why it's so accepted within the community, but who cares what I think, I was only one of the poor bastards moping up the mess left behind by alcohol, day in, day out. It never ends. I've seen the brains of a three month old baby exploded all over a cars interior and the child's mother after a drunk ran his car through the side of hers. I've seen women beaten to a pulp and crippled by drunk men. Alcohol related assaults galore. I've seen young ladies raped and witnessed the horror of what they face following the rape, many of which might not occurred had alcohol not been involved. I've been spat on, kicked, punched and abused by drunk idiots. Just one of these incidents might be enough to turn people off alcohol for life, you almost get numb when dealing with it daily for a couple of decades.

Ban the crap, most the morons that engage in the substance are already stupid, they don't need this substance to increase their stupidity, but for some reason they feel they do.

I use to enjoy a glass of wine with a meal once upon a time, but no more, the smell of the crap and the mess it leaves behind has killed any joy off.

Anyway, no doubt some of the crowd here will have a ball with this one and without a doubt some of them are the very problem I talk about.

neverdie, i agree that you make valid points. Having said that, my Dad took me out for drinks when I was fourteen. He gave me his wallet and told me to order whatever I wanted. Pf course I got hammered and the next morning I did not want to wake up. He made me go on the school bus anyway, and the Squash lessons that afternoon were brutal. I have stuck to beer ever since and whilst I do get shit faced once in a while, I have never showed up late for work, I never become violent when drunk, and I wouldn't even dream of taking my car drunk. Probation has never worked, it is all about attitude.

Of cause Hanno, I should point out, not all children are the same but there's DEFINATELY a problem with young idiots, drinking. A few extra years to grow up couldn't be such a bad thing.

Alcohol is the most destructive drug out there. It actually costs on society is HUGE. Assaults, violence, injuries, deaths, motor vehicle accidents, malicious damage, child abuse and many more and that's all before we address the health related costs of it. I don't see why the statistics that relate to alcohol related problems are so accepted by society.

Is it the case that people are happy to let the Police constantly wipe up the mess left behind by alcohol, just so they can maintain their nightly binge pattern?

Have you even any iota of an idea of what my two eyes have seen as a result of alcohol abuse. Ask any Australian Police Officer, they soon tell you, not withstanding that many of them also hit the bottle to deal with what they've seen.

It's always interesting to see what peoples ideas of 'alcohol abuse' actually are.

Personally, I don't understand why it's so accepted within the community, but who cares what I think, I was only one of the poor bastards moping up the mess left behind by alcohol, day in, day out. It never ends. I've seen the brains of a three month old baby exploded all over a cars interior and the child's mother after a drunk ran his car through the side of hers. I've seen women beaten to a pulp and crippled by drunk men. Alcohol related assaults galore. I've seen young ladies raped and witnessed the horror of what they face following the rape, many of which might not occurred had alcohol not been involved. I've been spat on, kicked, punched and abused by drunk idiots. Just one of these incidents might be enough to turn people off alcohol for life, you almost get numb when dealing with it daily for a couple of decades.

Ban the crap, most the morons that engage in the substance are already stupid, they don't need this substance to increase their stupidity, but for some reason they feel they do.

I use to enjoy a glass of wine with a meal once upon a time, but no more, the smell of the crap and the mess it leaves behind has killed any joy off.

Anyway, no doubt some of the crowd here will have a ball with this one and without a doubt some of them are the very problem I talk about.

neverdie, i agree that you make valid points. Having said that, my Dad took me out for drinks when I was fourteen. He gave me his wallet and told me to order whatever I wanted. Pf course I got hammered and the next morning I did not want to wake up. He made me go on the school bus anyway, and the Squash lessons that afternoon were brutal. I have stuck to beer ever since and whilst I do get shit faced once in a while, I have never showed up late for work, I never become violent when drunk, and I wouldn't even dream of taking my car drunk. Probation has never worked, it is all about attitude.

Here's the thing. I am completely on Neverdie's side even though I am an old villian myself. When I was young you would never give any lip to a copper, especially a sarge. However, neverdie perhaps forgets what happened after those days. The reason why these kids get such soft treatment these days is a repercussion of an interim period, when the sarge had discretion and could see that the right thing was done, and the following period when a whole lot of young coppers became as arrogant as hell and seemed to take the law into their own hands whenever they liked. It became so bad in the end that Joe Public and the courts had to bring them into check. THAT SAID.....Australia is uniquely different from Europe, for some reason a definitive SKINHEAD mentality has taken over the young men and women. Gone is the word STAUNCH and all that it used to mean. Australia was once and could still be the greatest country in the world but the wild west attitude has to be controlled.

• Like 1

Try Sharia in Knob Hil see how it goes at smoko down the mozko.

In a country full of vineyards adults drinking everywgere seems out of balance.

Total prohibition must be the way except Punchbowl of course.

The Germans lead the world in many ways, interesting economy and I've only ever encountered good manners from their children. Perhaps their parents guide and advise them and supervise and teach their children the meaning of respect.

It has been about a decade since I was last in Germany, perhaps things have changed.

In Australia there seems to be no shortage of children roaming the streets, the parents don't discipline them anymore, the teachers can't whack the and when they come to the notice of Police Officers they are put through no end of soft option actions before anything forceful eventuates. Even at that time, poorly behaved little bastards strut all around the courts and all the poor option magistrates & judges flip flop around worrying more about offender rights than what these little breathing turds have done. The language, the behaviour and lack of respect is on a never ending decline. It seems the do gooders really have achieved so much.

Maybe the real problem isn't the actual physical process of the drinking but rather the lack of intellect and self control of the people engaging in the act.

Despite that all, the problem is there and as blatantly obvious as the nose on your face.

I'm not sure "leading the world" is the right expression. But several years ago I was in a German town near Cologne with some German friends, early evening. A group of teenagers were drinking bottles of beer and one put is empty bottle on a small wall. (Not throw it or smash it but quite carefully). As he walked away a police car appeared from out of now where. He was put in the back and after a chat the policeman was on the phone. Next another car arrived with a man I assume was the father. He also sat in the police car. After some time the teenager was taken away by father.

The German's IME take the responsibility of parenthood and of teaching good citizenship skills seriously and approach it as a partnership with family, schools, and local authorities.

Of course this is a broad generalization and but reflects my experience having worked 3 times in Germany.

• Like 1

Australia has a problem with drinking. There's a nasty drunk, punch happy culture developing. There's huge problems with young people drinking and assaulting each other. Young Adults are dying in the streets.

I'm an Aussie, I split my time between OZ and Thailand.

Also, I'm not saying that that I agree or disagree with the 'push' to raise the legal drinking age to 21 but neverdie nailed it with his opening line ...

Australia has a problem with drinking. There's a nasty drunk, punch happy culture developing. There's huge problems with young people drinking and assaulting each other. Young Adults are dying in the streets.

I hang my head in same as a proud aussie that every word above rings true.

Plus, it's crossed the gender line with often the females being amongst the worst offenders.

Sad fact that it is.

• Like 2

Its not all that bad. You can still have a baby at 16, get the unmarried mothers pension (plus keep knocking the kids out) and apply for public housing because you now fall into the most vulnerable group in the country. To boost you right to the top of the housing list you can go to the GP say you feel depressed; now you have a mental health issue.coffee1.gifthumbsup.gif

Had a heated discussion in a Motel bar in Florida quite a few years back with couple US guys in their late 40s about this I said I think it is an insult to these guys you call up into the armed forces when you need them to go and fight and kill for your country but you consider them to be to young to have a drink, they could not see around that.

The under 21 in Aussie will still get the booze if they want it.

When I first seen the headlines I thought it was going to be about the coward punches that have been going on.

Us old blokes know them as king hits.

To much big brother stuff these days.

Yep mate your right you can die for your country but you can't have a bloody drink!

If they get their way that is.

Can't see it happening.

As I recall a king hit was thrown, after the fight was already in progress. It meant down from one punch, in an altercation. A king hit was not a coward punch thrown without warning form the side or behind.

Anyway, when I was younger, you never saw someone break a glass and use it as a weapon either. People had a decent punch up, like Gyngell and Packer and usually walked away.

Raising the drinking age saves lives. Its a fact. It would never have stopped me getting a drink when I was that age.