What to grow in shade under an awning?

It's a bit ironic that I am having trouble with not having enough direct sunlight in my garden here in Thailand, but that's the situation I am in. I have installed an awning made of polycarbonate covering the front yard of my small townhouse, where I park my car. It does a good job of protecting the car from rain and UV radiation, and it does provide nice shade in my front yard. In fact, it does too good a job of cutting out direct sunlight that whatever I plant fails to grow probably due to lack of sunlight.

I tried planting Thai holy basil and bird's eye chilies from seeds. They germinated and sprouted but failed to grow. I also tried planting red oak salad leaves but without much success. So I am wondering what I can grow in shade? I prefer growing vegetables that I can consume, but failing that I wouldn't mind planting small trees or flowers just for decorative purpose. Can anyone recommend me some vegetables or small trees that grow well in complete shade under an awning?

Basil and chilies really should grow well in little or no sunlight. Even the soil doesn't need to be great. Too much or not enough water or something else killing them? Colantro grows easily in shade, mustard greens, วอเตอร์เครส (this is the Thai for watercress, but it's not the water cress that I know. Look this up to see images, then get some. Grows so so easily in shade.) Lemon grass grows easily. ใบชะพลู is another but I don't know the English name. Careful how much you plant cuz it'll spread all over. You probably get some sunlight, and that helps. Pak wan (sweet leaf) should get some sunlight but does fine without tons of sunlight. This is all I can think of off the top of my head.

I went for basil and chilies because I love "Krapao" dish. biggrin.png Well, it could be me doing something wrong since it's my first time planting anything. I could have given them too much water in excitement. If I can have basil and chilies grown in my garden, it would be ideal since I love eating them. I am a little confused as some people tell me basil and chilies require tons of sunlight and some tell me they do well in little sunlight. I would appreciate any tip on growing Thai holy basil and chilies. I think I will give basil and chilies one more try before giving up on them.

I do get bit of sunlight on a corner of the garden for about two hours in the morning. Basically the awning is covering the whole of my front yard space from the above.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions so far. I am very new to growing vegetable so all those names sound new to me except the lemon grass, which I know is an important ingredient for "TomYam" dish. I will give them a study!

I'd say just give basil and chilies decent soil, doesn't even have to be terrific stuff. Keep the soil moist. Seriously, I've grown both in just these conditions. Little sunlight, decently fertile soil, kept moist by watering and by mulching. I don't know the variety, but you know, typical chilies. You buy basil at the market, take off the leaves, then put the stalk in the ground, right? Most common and easiest way to propogate it.

Wanna improve the appearance of your garden, and improve the soil at the same time? Get yourself some perennial peanut / brazil peanut. ถั่วลิสงเถา / ถั่วลิสงบราซิล Wikipedia has an entry for it. Pretty little yellow flower is the only edible part, so I've read. It's perennial so it'll last for years. Pretty drought hardy. When the flower is in bloom, and it covers the ground, all is yellow and is very very pretty. More than likely, it'll fix nitrogen to boot. I don't know where to buy it, but I see it all around. Chatuchak surely has it. Plant nurseries maybe.

This evening, I bought a basil seedling from a local market and planted it in my garden. Since my attempts to grow from the seeds hadn't been successful so far, I thought I would start from a seedling this time. Hopefully, I will be a bit luckier this time.

I just googled for "perennial peanut / brazil peanut ถั่วลิสงเถา / ถั่วลิสงบราซิล" and they look really pretty! I definitely want them in my garden if I can get hold of them.
Can I grow them along with my basil like "companion planting"?

Thanks again, troysantos!