Foodland Opening on Thepprasit

JimSiam

Starbucks would be cool for sure. And you can throw in a Royal Garden type mall and food court, and a gas station too!

And MacDonalds. There must about 12 in Pattaya but zero in Jomtien.

Easy explanation. Jomtien is dead after 6pm. Those kind of businesses can't survive on a clientèle that only exists for 10 hours a day

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy explanation. Jomtien is dead after 6pm. Those kind of businesses can't survive on a clientèle that only exists for 10 hours a day

That isnt so. Lots of people at the night market in Theprasit and also at the one way down Beach Rd, and no shortage anywhere along Beach Rd in the evening, even in low season.

I would have thought that MacDonalds/Starbucks places would do better somewhere along Beach Rd rather than up on the hill near the court where people seem to go past on their way somewhere else. The same applies to that Pomme place which I think is also badly located.

That isnt so. Lots of people at the night market in Theprasit and also at the one way down Beach Rd, and no shortage anywhere along Beach Rd in the evening, even in low season.

I would have thought that MacDonalds/Starbucks places would do better somewhere along Beach Rd rather than up on the hill near the court where people seem to go past on their way somewhere else. The same applies to that Pomme place which I think is also badly located.

I recall many years ago there was a KFC on the corner from Beach road. Is that still there or has moved due to not enough business ?

I recall many years ago there was a KFC on the corner from Beach road. Is that still there or has moved due to not enough business ?

It closed long ago. Maybe it was just mismanaged. Chains such as KFC are usually attached to malls and there are none here. Not even a Big C. Jingthing wondered about Starbucks and it too is usually only found inside malls in Pattaya and Bangkok. Shoppers wiho can spend 2000 baht for a pair of 200 Baht Crock shoes can certainly afford the minimum charge of 70 Baht for a coffee at Starbucks.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Foodland is my No. 1 supermarket. I've said this before that I've compared prices with Big C and Villa on a basket of common products and Foodland was cheaper. Big C was the most expensive. Foodland also has very good specials on the kinds of things you would buy regularly.

I also agree with others the service at Foodland is far superior to anything in Pattaya/Jomtien. Looks like they have a good training program and pretty good inventory control too, unlike the laughable Big C and Tesco.

It closed long ago. Maybe it was just mismanaged. Chains such as KFC are usually attached to malls and there are none here. Not even a Big C. Jingthing wondered about Starbucks and it too is usually only found inside malls in Pattaya and Bangkok. Shoppers wiho can spend 2000 baht for a pair of 200 Baht Crock shoes can certainly afford the minimum charge of 70 Baht for a coffee at Starbucks.

Fast food chains are not dependent on malls. There is a McD opposite Alcazar, on beach road near walking street and next to mini siam, all without a mall nearby and going strong for years.In Bangkok are several Starbucks not attached to a mall.

The reason that KFC jomtien closed is because they ran out of customers after 6PM.

Answering JessefFrank above.

true enough, though they are often found in malls. Starbucks is found in rich neighborhoods in Bangkok or ones visited by tourists such as NaNa. There was one Starbucks in Pattaya near walking St. that failed a few years ago so they are probably just ebing cautious about opening in a new area.

KFC would probably survive here now as there are far more people than there were then. Look at the Continental bakery. McDonalds can set up shop just about anywhere due to their price point. There is one on Sukimvit close to Thappraya Rd. Not sure how well that one does.

The reason that KFC jomtien closed is because they ran out of customers after 6PM.

That may be because the vast bulk of KFC customers here are Thai and not farang. From what I've seen farangs are much more likely to be in Starbucks or McD. And those Thais who might go to KFC in the evening are simply not to be found in Jomtien at that time.

Personally I dont frequent any international fast-food/coffee chains here at all as the food is tasteless rubbish and the coffee is way overpriced, but I can easily imagine a Starbucks and a McD somewhere along Jomtien Beach Rd, in the style of the ones at The Avenue. There are at least two independent and fairly expensive coffee shops along there already and they seem to do well enough.

That particular piece of property had long standing legal and permit issues. I ate at KFC there and it was popular. When KFC got the boot the plot was vacant for many years. Only when Kaffa expanded has the land been used. KFC I bet would pay big baht to get that location back.

Took a photo this morning:

attachicon.gif20140517_093540.jpg

I could see this being popular with lawyers and their clients during court hours, but in the evening or at weekends? I dont see it at all.

I would tend to agree. The one in Naklua is always packed at all times of the day, mainly with hi-so Thais. The place must turn over a fortune what with their prices.

I bet Foodmart won't be happy with Foodland opening up.

Off the top of my head its close to being opposite the new market

These types of posts kill me, why would you assume he knows where the new market is?

I actually saw the sign yesterday while riding the songtaew back from the weekend market. It's pretty visible and it caught me by surprise. I was trying to find a landmark and all I good see was a big orange sign on the other side of the street mixed in a row of shop houses with something like Pattaya Elephant Park. Not really across the street from what I thought maybe the OP was describing the new market next to the ladyboy coliseum. Like I said it's a decent size sign proclaiming "Foodland coming soon".

Edited by jwdub

Took a photo this morning:

attachicon.gif20140517_093540.jpg

I could see this being popular with lawyers and their clients during court hours, but in the evening or at weekends? I dont see it at all.

I bet Foodmart won't be happy with Foodland opening up.

Although I live close to Foodmart, i go almost every day to Foodland.

It's about time that they get a competitor.

I found the sign with this description;

It is opposite the Decorum furniture store or about 150 meters west of the Colleseum. Baht bus service has greatly improved on Thepprasit but I don't consider the location walking distance from the 2nd Rd. intersection (not with groceries anyway).

post-65047-0-95638600-1400312939_thumb.j

post-65047-0-93171100-1400312968_thumb.j

Edited by alocacoc

Yea, Let's stay on topic ! Note that the opening of Foodland will I of course cator not just to Jonmtien residents but is well timed

to serve all the new condos opening in Na Jomtien and Bang Saray in the next couple of years.

Yes! Too, will keep all that Jomtien riffraff out of the Central Foodland and reduce overcrowding there. Narrow aisles!

OK, so where's the new market on Thepprasit?

Coming from Thappraya Rd

The new market is about 400mts on the right.

The new Foodland site is about 100mts past VT1B on the same side.

Coming from Thappraya Rd

You meant to say "on the left".

Coming from Thappraya Rd

Coming from Thappraya Rd

OK, so trying to decode these directions..... you come down the hill on Thappraya Road, turn left into Thepprasit and the new Foodland will be on the left just past the last VT building, just around the corner from Food Mart.

Food Mart will be in trouble, that's for sure. They may have to start charging reasonable prices.

Edited by tropo