Thai tourists warned against robbery in Switzerland

webfact

I dont believe this for a second.

I do. Switzerland has a hard core group of pickpockets and petty thieves, OSAC has a nice summary. It looks like the Thais copied the US State department report.

Pickpockets, while not usually violent, continue to operate in the downtown areas of Geneva and on trains, and non-violent residential break-ins still occur. The State Department rates non-residential street crime for Geneva as “Medium.” Petty crime such as pickpockets or the stealing of unattended bags is a concern. Hotels have reported patrons’ bags being stolen at the check in desk, and the trams and buses are regular areas for pickpockets. According to 2011 crime statistics for Geneva, there was also a dramatic increase in overall numbers of reported burglaries and pickpockets. The number of reported burglaries increased from 6,799 in 2010 to 8,008. Reported pick-pocketing or theft without violence increased from 698 in 2010 to 895 in 2011. The number of thefts from vehicles was reportedly 4,687 for 2011.

Visitors to Geneva are reminded that they should remain particularly alert for pickpockets, confidence scams, and other attempts to obtain a wallet or purse in public areas, including Lake Geneva's promenade; the vicinity of the "Jardin Anglais"/Mont Blanc Bridge; large shopping areas (such as Rue de Rive); Plainpalais area (open market); the Cornavin Train Station; Geneva's International Airport, including the train station at the airport; Les Paquis area; public transportation (trams, trains, buses); while checking into or out of hotels; and in restaurants

I guarantee there are more pick pockets and shysters on the streets of Bangkok near the BTS and Asoke to name a few. then you will ever encounter at the train stations in Switzerland.

There, unlike Thailand, the police actully do their job, for EVERYONE, not just Swiss, and their cameras are always rolling

Maybe the Thai's have never walked on a clean street before without trash everywhere, so, maybe they look up a lot instead of down to make sure they dont walk into an open sewer, or a live electrical wire?

No Thai can ever be robbed in Switzerland for the amount that legitimate over charging in Thailand of foreigners can over come,

they even charge u 20% more in their whore houses, and still stick their hand out for a tip

I've traveled in pretty much every country in Asia. And almost every country in Europe. I've had one problem with a pickpocket in Asia (Manila). I've had one scam pulled on me (Queen's holiday, but actually worked out great as I got a free tuk tuk ride to many sights just for walking into a jewelry store). During my travels in Europe, I've had numerous pickpocket attempts and one purse theft. I have had numerous scams attempted. And seen in action the pickpocket "teams".

IMHO, Bangkok, for a tourist, is a very safe destination. But I have read there are starting to be some pickpockets on the BTS. The ones they've seen here in Pattaya are foreigners. Other than the ladyboys, of course.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are Swiss. Unfortunately the above article is true. It all started with the Schengen agreement. The article below (copy/paste it) explains the whole problem. Max und Ruth Richard

http://www.nation.com.pk/columns/19-Feb-2014/welcome-back-fortress-switzerland (copy/paste)

Yes, thank you. This seems to be the info I recalled about the vote recently. EU was not pleased! (I also saw their fortress system whereby the mountain passes are linked with tunnels and explosives to blow the passes if invaded; shame such effort to prevent external threats only to invite threat in under the guise of Treaty or Agreement).

It would take a long time for me to list all the pickpocket attempts and scams I've either been involved with or seen during my travels to the big tourist areas in Europe. We had a guidebook that listed the main scams in Paris. We saw every one and had the "gold ring" scam tried on us. I had the book in my hand, and showed her that section. She just shrugged her shoulders and walked over to her partner in crime who was standing nearby. Didn't faze her one bit.

Yep I was with a tour group gazing at the Coliseum in Rome. Two young girls approached one of the guys in our group and tried to sell him flowers. While he was distracted a young man picked his pocket and immediately handed the wallet to a guy on a Vespa. I was just quick enough to tackle the guy on the Vespa who dropped the wallet and ran.

They were definitely Romanians.

So, at least you got his Vespa, :-)

Seems there is a crime wave going on there. I know we were victims in Portugal. Purse stolen by a Romanian. Couldn't prove it as he passed it off and I couldn't stay with both, but stayed with one and the police knew him very well. Eventually caught the other (as he was well known), but no purse. Wasn't anything in it anyway! The police told us they were having major problems with immigrants. And were extremely polite to us.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss_news/Whos_to_blame_for_the_Swiss_crime_wave.html?cid=35594462

http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/2012/07/switzerland-preferred-destination-for.html

http://safety.worldnomads.com/Switzerland/75198/Scams-and-Crime-in-Switzerland#axzz31pcOy9w7

Happens in Italy also a lot , mostly by Romanians.

I know of one Thai guy that was locked in by 2 girls and a third girl approached him from the front and opened his bag which he was holding in front of him.

He thought they where making a joke until the girls ran of with his wallet.

He and the many bystanders couldn't believe the shameless robbery in plain sight.

They are not Romanians. They are gypsies with Romanian passport

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Exactly. The Roma' looked down upon in Romania and Bulgaria, have been allowed to swarm all over Europe by the wonderful EU. Now they're headed towards Britain. They don't integrate, are a filthy race of thieves and whores. The only thing Hitler got right was his intended extermination of them. Please don't compare them to even the worst of Thais.

• Like 1

What goes around comes around ?

Over the years I've known many Thais who wanted to visit Switzerland because of the association with the King but I've never met a Thai who has been there or could afford to go.

Well, NongKhaiKid, in 1996 there were some 50'000 Thais travelling to Switzerland and accounted then for the highest spenders from Asia overrunning the Japanese, Indians and Chinese. 9 out of 10 visited the Villa Vadhana, a lovely secluded villa in Lausanne where the King, His siblings and the Princess Mother lived for many years. 50'000 from a population of then approx. 65 million is nothing - I agree but distribution of wealth in Thailand is ....... a Thai issue.

In addition, most Thais do not speak anything but Thai, don't want to eat anything but Thai food and are complex to cope with things like fixed pricing (I saw Thai tourists trying to bargain at flower stalls). They cannot understand if a timetable reads 7h19 pm it means 19 minutes after 7 and not before or after. Yet isn't it like the German tourists here ..... who want pork knuckle and sauerkraut?

So, while the situation changed meanwhile (most Asian tourists in Switzerland are Chinese and Indians) Thais were and are always welcome as nice, rule-abiding guests.

In general the pickpocketing takes, regrettably, place everywhere. But if bashing is to be done then maybe Thailand would start to clean up the scams around the Grand Palace on "last promotion day" at the non-existing "Export Centre". Look up the "scan city" programme series of National Geographic and pick Bangkok. These are the real scams where tuktuk drivers make upto THB 30'000 on commissions for "jewellery" apart from gas vouchers; hookers creaming off six digits amounts from five, six "lover boys" and so on and so forth ........

The kettle calling the pot black!

• Like 1

Yea it is all those Kosovars and Albanians and other refugees who are the criminals (not a joke). Of course here in Pattaya I always live my belongings unattended in a resaurant when I go to the toilet. Especially the cash I leave on the table LOL. I hear that there are illegal Thai girls in Switzerland and they may specialize on wealthy Thai tourists.

Edited by BlueSkyCowboy
  • Like 1

I wonder if the Thais in Switzerland rent jet skis and have their gold snatched off their necks.

Taste of your own medicine so get over it.

The difference is that only rich Thais go to Switzerland and mostly the Swiss trash comes to Pattaya

• Like 2

Seems there is a crime wave going on there. I know we were victims in Portugal. Purse stolen by a Romanian. Couldn't prove it as he passed it off and I couldn't stay with both, but stayed with one and the police knew him very well. Eventually caught the other (as he was well known), but no purse. Wasn't anything in it anyway! The police told us they were having major problems with immigrants. And were extremely polite to us.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss_news/Whos_to_blame_for_the_Swiss_crime_wave.html?cid=35594462

http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/2012/07/switzerland-preferred-destination-for.html

http://safety.worldnomads.com/Switzerland/75198/Scams-and-Crime-in-Switzerland#axzz31pcOy9w7

The problem clearly rests with the Swiss Justice system. It appears that they are afraid of the criminals. Prisons in Switzerland are too expensive and the liberals are morons. Now let me enlighten the fools. Kim Jung ON or whatever his name is, the North Korean "president" haha went to school in Switzerland. The Swiss could make a deal with him, solve many problems and the fat boy would be happy because he needs the money. So the only thing missing are Swiss with balls/courage. Case closed.

"Meanwhile there are ongoing efforts in Switzerland to solve the problem and arrest the criminals."

Wonder if the Swiss can export that attitude. Must feel nice to have that approach to crime from the authorities.

What are you refering to export? The lip service?? The Swiss police are experts in setting up speed traps with cameras. Thats the way to catch the hard core criminals hahaha The rest is BS

First thoughts on reading title were, 'yeah, go get some of that moody W2II gold back off them Swiss folk'. How wrong was I! whistling.gif

Oh not another one! The Swiss accepted a lot more Jews than the Americans.... blah, blah, blah... any more misinformed preconceptions?

Thanks Captain Obvious... America is across an ocean and Switzerland is directly next-door to Germany. What else should we expect?

And taking in more Jews than America during WWII somehow absolves Switzerland of being the private bank of the Nazis and all the wealth they stole from the various peoples they enslaved?

• Like 1

First thoughts on reading title were, 'yeah, go get some of that moody W2II gold back off them Swiss folk'. How wrong was I! whistling.gif

Oh not another one! The Swiss accepted a lot more Jews than the Americans.... blah, blah, blah... any more misinformed preconceptions?

Thanks Captain Obvious... America is across an ocean and Switzerland is directly next-door to Germany. What else should we expect?

And taking in more Jews than America during WWII somehow absolves Switzerland of being the private bank of the Nazis and all the wealth they stole from the various peoples they enslaved?

The Swiss were the Bank "rollers" of the Nazi's

Below contempt. The USA did very well and protected many Nazis after the war. Do some reading.

i believe the carelessness part. i can see it now.... thais travelling .....lol... well.. i travel.

this is one of those preemptive strikes. i bet a ton of swiss got robbed in thailand. ....PERIOD... which sounds more likely?

What goes around comes around ?

Over the years I've known many Thais who wanted to visit Switzerland because of the association with the King but I've never met a Thai who has been there or could afford to go.

I saw a number of Thai tour groups there two years ago but nothing compared to the numbers of Chinese tourists swarming all over the place. All the expensive shops selling watches and brand name goods now have to have Chinese staff to relieve them of their cash.

A COMPLETE LOAD OF BALLS! Thais being robbed by farangs???

Clearly you don't know anything about organised crime in major European cities and the behaviour of some Thai tourists.

I personally know of cases where Thai people were "relieved" of their high-end, brand-name designer goods they carelessly flaunted in public while being occupied otherwise in exactly these places.

Edited by Morakot

Lots and lots of tourists (Thais and others) are robbed on a daily basis in Europe, particularly in major cities like Paris, Zurich, Rome etc. These robberies occur on the metro, in front of tourist attractions, in hotel lobbies, even in hotel breakfast areas. These thieves sometimes even get on board the coach and run off with bags left on the front seats. There are even cases of the coach being stolen with all the luggage onboard.

I feel safer in Thailand than I do in Europe.