strange situation

hello on the road

came across this situation.

so what to do in a situation like this officially ?

as it goes now the biggest or the one that doesn't stop goes first .

post-117955-0-67057800-1400224571_thumb.post-117955-0-67057800-1400224571_thumb.

This question comes up on the driving licence theory test.

if I remember correctly you're supposed to give way to the vehicle on the left

which just seems totally wrong to me..... maybe thats why I failed the theory test.... twice facepalm.gif

Edited by johng

Yep give way to the left seems to be the law. See Title 6 Section 71 at http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/36634-Traffic-Laws-in-Thailand-A-translation-(from-www-bkkriders-com)

Officially what to do does not count for much in LOS as most will ignore the traffic law. Each vehicle will probably creep forward until someone gives way, last one to give way goes first.

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1

OMG ... facepalm.gif ... the answer is ... who ever has stopped first has the right of way (legally).

There is no way everyone stops at the same time.

But, this being Thailand, the BIGGEST vehicle has right of way.

According to local theory, the one with the most Police badges, McDonalds membership sticker, Paratrooper medallion and Secret Batman Mobile Members badge has right of way.....Unless Terdsak, going opposite traffic flow and making a u-turn in his samlor, (with chicken corpses dangling, spice jars and fish sauce flying all over) shows up and squeezes by....then he has right of way! An exception, to the rule, is.....if farang, never have right of way.

• Like 1

Title 6: Driving through Junctions or Circles

Section 71 (500B)

[if, when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first.

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there's a designation of "principle roadway" in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way.]

but at roundabouts aka circle (rotary)

If there's no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle (rotary), a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right. (500B)

I will continue to give way to vehicles from the right at all junctions as its served me well for 25 years.

I have found that the one turning across your path usually goes first, especially if you are going straight through.

Of course you haven't added a stack of motorcycles in front but to the side of each car. Neither is there a kid selling jasmine necklaces or lotto results. So I believe that intersection is only hypothetical and does not exist in Thailand.

• Like 2

If four cars arrive at a four-way stop simultaneously, drivers going straight should proceed first. If all four are turning left, they may all proceed simultaneously. These aside, there is no distinguishable way to see who should go first, so the intersection is at a standstill until one driver gets up the nerve and begins to inch forward, alerting the other drivers of his or her intentions, and proceeds through the intersection (thus starting the clockwise rotation from that driver).

• Like 1

Why bother asking? If anything happens, the Farang pays, that's all you need to know.

Not in my case, full class A insurance off-course, so let the insurance deal with it.

I get way more room in my truck than I did in my ex Honda City.

Why bother asking? If anything happens, the Farang pays, that's all you need to know.

Not in my case, full class A insurance off-course, so let the insurance deal with it.

I have had sedan cars for 12 years in Thailand, and would get on average 5 accident a year, but was in 99% of the cases not at fault.

For the past 5 years I drive a pickup, and haven't had a single accident since biggrin.png

I have had sedan cars for 12 years in Thailand, and would get on average 5 accident a year, but was in 99% of the cases not at fault.

For the past 5 years I drive a pickup, and haven't had a single accident since biggrin.png

I drove a battered old pickup for a year before I got a family car. It seemed to get me through traffic n Bangkokthan the nice new car I have now. They know you don't want to scratch your new car.

By the way, driving 100Km a day over allsorts of roads for two years now, no accident YET.

Edited by cooked

I think this confusion is the reason that roundabouts aka circle (rotary) dont work very well in Thailand

If the rule is really 'give way to your left', that is the opposite of Australia, where we would give way to the right. So that would explain why cars shoot onto roundabouts. The are taking right of way. In Australia, the rule is to give way to cars already on the roundabout (actually i think that's the rule here, but Thais treat it like an intersection. Fortunately I don't come across many intersections with no lights, and when I do it's just push and shove anyway lol

I think this confusion is the reason that roundabouts aka circle (rotary) dont work very well in Thailand

If the rule is really 'give way to your left', that is the opposite of Australia, where we would give way to the right. So that would explain why cars shoot onto roundabouts. The are taking right of way. In Australia, the rule is to give way to cars already on the roundabout (actually i think that's the rule here, but Thais treat it like an intersection. Fortunately I don't come across many intersections with no lights, and when I do it's just push and shove anyway lol

If aproach a toundabout and there is a vehicle coming from the left they have forgotten wich country they are in , thus better let em go first the driver is a tourist , police , or just drunk

if all arrived at exactly same time, no one has the right of way due to the "guy on your left" goes first rule. However, in reality, as we all know, the largest and fastest vehicle goes first with large but slow trucks having Benz pulling in front and little cheap cars wait to last. Motorcycles trump all other vehicles.

My only accident was lightly rear-ended by Camry on Sukhumvit. I did not move my truck but jumped out and began taking pictures of the whole scene including the other driver and her insurance window stickers. I reported it to my insurance co and they fixed me no charge. I will never know about the other person.

Dunno but repurposing it as a roundabout might help

I was a traffic engineer once upon a time. In an ideal world, all these U turns would be replaced by roundabouts, as well as many sets of traffic lights. We considered traffic lights as an admission of defeat.

However, in an ideal world, Thai drivers would respect the law, common sense and each other. You get used to it.