Non-o Multientry & Current Crackdown

I hope they don't start getting tougher on people staying here with their families.

It fluctuates. When I came here in 2007, the marriage extension didn't have the 400k in the bank option. It was (re)-introduced in 2008. Can happen the other way around too. It's likely to be those financial requirements that will get tougher.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supporting a Thai wife and children is a legitimate reason under Thai Immigration rules for a farang to remain residing in Thailand.

That is shown thru the availability of 1-year extensions of stay based on marriage done here in country via Immigration, or Non-O visas based on marriage done at Thai consulates in other countries. Not to mention the single time 60-day, single entry permission for visiting one's wife that also can be done here by Immigration.

• Like 1

If i travel to Thailand from the UK 6-7 times a year to see my son and holiday should i have a non O? I am not married

will i now not be allowed in using the monthly tourist visas,i stay 14-16 days then return home for a month.

If i travel to Thailand from the UK 6-7 times a year to see my son and holiday should i have a non O? I am not married

will i now not be allowed in using the monthly tourist visas,i stay 14-16 days then return home for a month.

I believe that you will be fine. You are not "back to backing"

Also it is probably clear that you are not working and your passport stamps show your pattern of visits.

Hi, If you are married to a Thai National then apply for a Marriage Visa! You can find all the information, documents and photos you need to supply upon application at Thaivisa.com

You need to reapply every year at your local Immigration Office with a cost of 1,900 baht and then report every 90 days to the same office to varify where you are living, no requirement to leave the country at all.

If you need to leave the country you will need to go back to the Immigration Office to advise them before you leave and they will suspend your marriage visa and give you a re entry visa.

Once you return to Thailand the immigration at your point of entry will give you back your marriage visa, just make sure that it hasnt expired!

Hope this helps and good luck.

Hi, If you are married to a Thai National then apply for a Marriage Visa! You can find all the information, documents and photos you need to supply upon application at Thaivisa.com

You need to reapply every year at your local Immigration Office with a cost of 1,900 baht and then report every 90 days to the same office to varify where you are living, no requirement to leave the country at all.

If you need to leave the country you will need to go back to the Immigration Office to advise them before you leave and they will suspend your marriage visa and give you a re entry visa.

Once you return to Thailand the immigration at your point of entry will give you back your marriage visa, just make sure that it hasnt expired!

Getting a re-entry permit does not suspend your extension. You can get one and have it for months and use it when needed to make a trip.

When you use it to enter they stamp a permit to stay date that is the same as your extension of stay date.

This is incorrect

1 There is no such thing as a Marriage visa you can get an extension of stay based on marriage It is Not a visa

2 Immigration do not suspend you extension based on marriage if you leave the country but you need to apply for a re-entry permit.

3once you return to Thailand immigration will stamp you back in If you have a re-entry permit with a permission to stay stamp, immigration at the airport does not give visa's

this poster I am afraid does not know anything about extensions nor visa's please disregard above post.

• Like 1

you have misunderstood the 'çrackdown'.

If you have a visa you will have no problem going to the border - it is the visa not required, 30 days at a time, that this is aimed at.

You're going to be in for a shock one day when you arrive at the airport and find out that all visas where the foreigner doesn't hold a work permit are now inluded in this crackdown.

It's already 'creeped' over into Tourist visas for example.

my friend went to thaialnd on visa on arrrival he is 60 years old married to a thai..he got the 30 days..

he extended it at immigration for 60 days...he went to a border crossing in cambodia yesterday...got 30 days..no problem..

he will go back to sisaket immigration and get another 60 days...then do a border crossing for another 30 days..

this will continue...he thinks..

he has no visa at all only extensions...

is this correct

my friend went to thaialnd on visa on arrrival he is 60 years old married to a thai..he got the 30 days..

he extended it at immigration for 60 days...he went to a border crossing in cambodia yesterday...got 30 days..no problem..

he will go back to sisaket immigration and get another 60 days...then do a border crossing for another 30 days..

this will continue...he thinks..

he has no visa at all only extensions...

is this correct

Looks correct, section 2.24: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_en.pdf . No visa is needed. Your friend is likely on visa exemption, not VoA. They are two different things.

Hotrod, hard to say about what will become of that kind of situation...

Except, ideally, Thai Immigration would probably suggest he ought to be staying here on an annual extension of stay based on either marriage or retirement -- not alternating visa exempt entries combined with 60-day visiting wife permissions.

I guess that would have been OK in the past. But whether it will remain OK for the future, as Immigration starts cracking down on out/in visa exempt entries and your friend continues piling up a lot of them, remains to be seen.

If you have a visa you will have no problem going to the border - it is the visa not required, 30 days at a time, that this is aimed at.

You're going to be in for a shock one day when you arrive at the airport and find out that all visas where the foreigner doesn't hold a work permit are now inluded in this crackdown.

Please refrain from spreading rumors. Foreigners with tourist visas (and other types of visa) are passing through the airport -- and land borders -- just as always. The new policy is specific to visa-exempt entries.

There have in the past been episodic crack-downs on people getting back-to-back tourist visas, and some embassies/consultates still look askance on that, and a more systemic crackdown in future is certainly a possibility since, like the back-to-back visa exempt border runs, this is a means of skirting visa rtules by people who are nto in fact tourists but rather residing in Thailand.

But there is no earthly reason why Thailand would want to turn away tourists with visas (or for that matter, tourists newly entering on visa-exemption) -- and every reason not to.

Some of the recent comments and news reports quoting Immigration's commanding general have taken aim specifically at tourist visa holders. Not tourist visa holders who are legitimate tourists, but instead, tourist visa holders who are using repeated tourist visas as a means of making Thailand their de facto home and/or working illegally here.

That shouldn't be a problem for legitimate tourists holding tourist visas -- except, no one's quite sure as yet just how Immigration is going to differentiate between the two groups. One reference was made to Immigration checking tourists' travel details, including their intended accommodations. So presumably that means, looking at if a tourist has confirmed hotel reservations. But what if a repeat tourist doesn't pre-book their hotel? Or what if a repeat tourist is staying with friends or rents an apartment or condo instead?

Based on the recent comments by Immigration's commanding general, even legitimate tourists with tourist visas -- if they have a pattern of repeated entries -- probably are going to need to be mindful of being able to show the required 20,000 baht in cash and some proof/details of their intended tourism itinerary. Because if challenged and unable to provide those kinds of things, the person could potentially find themselves denied entry. And that's not me saying so. That's what the Immigration commanding general was quoted recently as saying here in another thread.

• Like 2

Please refrain from spreading rumors. Foreigners with tourist visas (and other types of visa) are passing through the airport -- and land borders -- just as always. The new policy is specific to visa-exempt entries.

The boss of immigration has stated this will apply to visa exempt entries and tourist visas and people who are residing in Thailand on those classes of visas should not plan on it being available to them.

That isnt rumor, thats the boss of immigration !!

• Like 2

The boss of immigration has stated this will apply to visa exempt entries and tourist visas and people who are residing in Thailand on those classes of visas should not plan on it being available to them.

That isnt rumor, thats the boss of immigration !!

Another scaremonger!

Visas issued by the Royal Thai embassy or a Thai consulate come with RIGHTS. Conform to the terms of issue and you will not have a problem.

This is a border crackdown - aimed primarly at abuses of the system whereby people are working illegally. It will act against all Visa Not Required tourists who try to say beyond 60 days (30 + 30) - in which case they should, quite rightly, apply for the appropriate class of visa.

If immigration were that concerned about about people abusing the right to stay, they would not be so liberal granting extensions to married men on tourist visas.

With a non-O multiple visa you will not have any problems. You are supposed to arrive several times within the year the visa lasts. That's the purpose of that visa. And if you qualify for that visa you will NOT have problems at the borders or airport immigration.

Another scaremonger!

Visas issued by the Royal Thai embassy or a Thai consulate come with RIGHTS. Conform to the terms of issue and you will not have a problem.

This is a border crackdown - aimed primarly at abuses of the system whereby people are working illegally. It will act against all Visa Not Required tourists who try to say beyond 60 days (30 + 30) - in which case they should, quite rightly, apply for the appropriate class of visa.

If immigration were that concerned about about people abusing the right to stay, they would not be so liberal granting extensions to married men on tourist visas.

Keep saying it.. But you better go tell it to immigration.

Pol Lt Gen Pharnu said it did not matter how a tourist entered Thailand — whether it be with 15-, 30- or 90-day visa exemptions — if they exited a border checkpoint and tried to reenter at the same point they would have to satisfy border control officials that their reason for travel is tourism. He also added that it did not matter what country the visitor came from.

This same scrutiny would apply to multiple-entry tourist visas issued by the Thai embassy in an individual’s home country.

If you can read.. That says exactly what I posted.. If you dont agree with it, take it up with them not me. I am simply repeating clarity and correcting your miss information based on immigration's statements.

Call that scare mongering ??

Pol Lt Gen Pharnu said immigration police would allow the cross-border visa runs to continue until Aug 12. We will still let those with tourist visas cross the border and come right back in from now until Aug 12. We will take time until then to publicise the law, he said. I'm sure it will take a lot of time to adjust, but this will be good for our country in the long term.

After the grace period finishes, those working here illegally on tourist visas will have to apply for the right kind of visa.

I would like to let everyone know that we fully support tourism in Thailand, but we will no longer allow people to abuse the law and use the tourist visa for the wrong purpose, Pol Lt Gen Pharnu said.

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1

Anyone who feels that they have the RIGHT to enter any country once they have been granted a visa is due for a big shock one day...

A visa entitles one to travel to the issuing country, where you present yourself to the border official. This official has absolute power and can deny you access if he feels it can be justified. Most countries in the world are so, if not all?

All persons arriving at a border point, no matter what passport/visa circumstances, are subject to the same scrutiny. If you are on a multi-entry non-o you could be asked questions if you are residing in Thailand the full 90 days after which an out-in run is happening. Be prepared to be accused of working too!

For a married man (with Thai spouse) who is living but not working in Thailand, the only safe option is to get the marriage extension.

If you are 50+ and do not intend finding work then the retirement extension is even better. If you have 800k that is.

A re-entry permit is the trump card when you re-enter this country.

• Like 2

Anyone who feels that they have the RIGHT to enter any country once they have been granted a visa is due for a big shock one day...

A visa entitles one to travel to the issuing country, where you present yourself to the border official. This official has absolute power and can deny you access if he feels it can be justified. Most countries in the world are so, if not all?

All persons arriving at a border point, no matter what passport/visa circumstances, are subject to the same scrutiny. If you are on a multi-entry non-o you could be asked questions if you are residing in Thailand the full 90 days after which an out-in run is happening. Be prepared to be accused of working too!

For a married man (with Thai spouse) who is living but not working in Thailand, the only safe option is to get the marriage extension.

If you are 50+ and do not intend finding work then the retirement extension is even better. If you have 800k that is.

Just a scare monger :) You are allowed to stay the full 90 days and then go out and come back with the visa you describe. And no one have to be prepered to be accused of working if not doing that. Anybody that qualifies for a non-O visa and follow the rules and laws have nothing to fear.

• Like 1

Just a scare monger smile.png You are allowed to stay the full 90 days and then go out and come back with the visa you describe. And no one have to be prepered to be accused of working if not doing that. Anybody that qualifies for a non-O visa and follow the rules and laws have nothing to fear.

Hmm, I have been using no-o, visa exempt and marriage exemptions for 10 years - I don't know what gives you the right to be so dismissive, unless you have specific knowledge no-one else is privy to smile.png?

For the past few years I used a multi-entry non-o. which Penang consulate would only issue as I have a WP for Malaysia. Every time I cross at Sadao I still have to show money, explain what I am doing in Thailand, and whether I am working in this country. Prior to working in Malaysia I was on the extension for 3 years.

Perhaps this seems like I am exaggerating, or scare mongering but ask yourself why would I bother - I am sorted... I do get extra attention as I am on a South African passport, but now it seems everyone will be treated the same - guilty until proven innocent, and just how do you go about proving you are not working in the country?

Good luck with your approach of not bothering. You are so brave clap2.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A friend is asking if people with a Non-O multiple entries visa can legally stay in Thailand or return to Thailand as long as their visa is valid (if they go out every 3 months) ? Are they ask what they are doing in Thailand ? Can you do nothing when you are on non immigrant o visa for Thai wife or Thai kids ?

I am not sure that my question is clear but this is what he asked. Thank you.

Yes, during the validity of the visa you cna come and go as you said.

You can only work when you have a work permit for that job, with that employer on that location. On a non-O based on marriage a WP will be issued if the job meets the criteria.

• 1 month later...

Any report of people coming back to Thailand for 3 months after few days out of the country with non-immigrant O for Thai wife or kids, since the crackdown ? Cheers.

There is not even a single report of anyone being given even the smallest trouble with a non-immigrant O.

I have a friend, late 60s. He had so many tourist visas, never exempt entry, Kota Bahru embassy said no more tourist visas. In September he will go for his 3rd or 4th back to back 90 day non O, 3 days out. He does not qualify for extension due to small pension and no cash assets. In the past has it been possible to stay in Thailand for decades on 90 day non O visas? His 48 page passport full of Thai tourist visas and several 90 day non O. Will he be able to get repeat 90 day non O for many years to come based on retirement. Could he be refused the 90 day non O? Every time he has used letter from embassy stating he has pension of around 30,000 baht a month. They told him this letter was necessary and good for the life of passport. He is very worried and always broke. He is single, no girlfriend, no wife, no kids. He gets non-o based on retirement. The letter from embassy essential.

Edited by ilocos