Bees and Honey but not much money

Another potential problem is contaminants: Pesticide residues and antibiotics. Many of which do not affect the taste of the honey.

Honey maybe produced in a rural location or is "wild" honey, that's no guarantee of purity. Some Thai farmers in all locations use these agricultural chemicals. Not all agricultural chemicals are fatal to bees ( and the bees don't discriminate), but that doesn't stop the residues passing along the food chain.

These comments are not a criticism of the majority of apiarists, but a recognition of the foraging habits of bees.

And ..............Thailand has very lax food safety regulation ( read: non-existant ) .

Edited by attento

Another potential problem is contaminants: Pesticide residues and antibiotics. Many of which do not affect the taste of the honey.

Honey maybe produced in a rural location or is "wild" honey, that's no guarantee of purity. Some Thai farmers in all locations use these agricultural chemicals. Not all agricultural chemicals are fatal to bees ( and the bees don't discriminate), but that doesn't stop the residues passing along the food chain.

Thailand has very lax food safety regulation ( read: non-existant ) .

Only negative impact of this is to the Sukhumvit farmers and their Organic marketing.

Ask a stupid question ~ Get a stupid answer

Only negative impact of this is to the Sukhumvit farmers and their Organic marketing.

Yes, who instructs the bees to select only "organically grown" flowers. An "Organic Honey" label is at best a joke.

But, on a more serious note, there is some concern world-wide about contaminants in honey, or why would the USDA et al., spend resources monitoring.

Yes, who instructs the bees to select only "organically grown" flowers. An "Organic Honey" label is at best a joke.

But, on a more serious note, there is some concern world-wide about contaminants in honey, or why would the USDA et al., spend resources monitoring.

They're monitoring imported honey (from China) shipped in old PVA glue barrels, where (harmless) traces of clue..the kind kindergarten kids eat ever day, were found. The world police do what the world police do best.

Jotham,

Thanks for the info. There is a label on the honey, but I think its their own effort and its all in Thai. I will go to the market next weekend and talk to them further. I didn't think about the wild V hive produced difference. We are near Nakhon Sawan and at this time of year there are many flowering trees and shrubs, especially Mimosa and the large tree with the brilliant small red flowers, as well as Frangipani and many other flowers. This honey looks too clear to be wild honey, but they may just have filtered it very well. It certainly tastes fantastic. I now have a better understanding of Winnie the Poo!

Firstly, here is a couple of simple questions; how did you as a westerner manage to own a 4 rai plot of land in Thailand? And under Thai law how would you manage to become a bee keeper and then produce and sell your honey?

These situations of farangs claiming to own vast amounts of land and running agricultural type businesses seems to appear regularly on Thai visa and I am only curious as to how they manage to do this?

Jotham,

Thanks for the info. There is a label on the honey, but I think its their own effort and its all in Thai. I will go to the market next weekend and talk to them further. I didn't think about the wild V hive produced difference. We are near Nakhon Sawan and at this time of year there are many flowering trees and shrubs, especially Mimosa and the large tree with the brilliant small red flowers, as well as Frangipani and many other flowers. This honey looks too clear to be wild honey, but they may just have filtered it very well. It certainly tastes fantastic. I now have a better understanding of Winnie the Poo!

Firstly, here is a couple of simple questions; how did you as a westerner manage to own a 4 rai plot of land in Thailand? And under Thai law how would you manage to become a bee keeper and then produce and sell your honey?

These situations of farangs claiming to own vast amounts of land and running agricultural type businesses seems to appear regularly on Thai visa and I am only curious as to how they manage to do this?

Family secret..

Jotham,

Family secret..

I bet it is.

If the ownership of the said land in the OP and the advocating of any sorts of agricultural businesses regarding farangs is not legally conducted, than in fact this thread is promoting the breaking of the laws and the abuse of the systems here in Thailand.

I have a genuine inquiry that pertains to the theme of this thread, how does a westerner manage to own vast amounts of land and run an agricultural business legally here in Thailand? As this information maybe useful to any newbies considering doing the same.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Jotham,

Family secret..

I bet it is.

If the ownership of the said land in the OP and the advocating of any sorts of agricultural businesses regarding farangs is not legally conducted, than in fact this thread is promoting the breaking of the laws and the abuse of the systems here in Thailand.

I have a genuine inquiry that pertains to the theme of this thread, how does a westerner manage to own vast amounts of land and run an agricultural business legally here in Thailand? As this information maybe useful to any newbies considering doing the same.

I'm sure the OP was referring to his families land & was looking a way for his family to utilize their land.

I'm sure the OP was referring to his families land & was looking a way for his family to utilize their land.

Or how about, tell the truth and shame the devil?

OR how about just get on with life!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All, just watched, "More Than Honey", if you get a chance, well worth

the effort.

The problem of bee's world wide is not a one sided problem.

The use of chems is part, and the GMO finger pointers forget that it's more

than a few crops that bees gather pollen from. The movie starts up in The Alps,

no GMO's there! Almond orchards in CA. Some research with killer bees in AU.

Be informed, not just point fingers, and read both sides of an issue.

rice555

• 11 months later...

How would you go about gathering wild bees? every year we have several wild hives in the garden.

It appears there are several types of bees around.

A larger and more aggressive type, makes quite a large hive and smaller more docile ones.

post-14625-0-08839900-1431960079_thumb.j

post-14625-0-82131400-1431959931_thumb.j

post-14625-0-28734700-1431959861_thumb.j

Edited by soidog2

Soidog, you can learn about beekeeping online and you'll most likely get your bees from a beekeeper. For an amateur like you or me to wade into any wild hive trying to get the queen bee which we'd need, and some worker bees etc. would be a miracle especially without the right equipment. Colonies of bees divide when there is more than one queen and that's when we see them swarm, multiplying the number of colonies. Beekeepers go after those swarms once they land somewhere to establish a new hive and that's how they get some of their replacement colonies and growth colonies.

If you'd take your hives to a beekeeper and leave them, or buy a swarm and gently shake them into your properly prepared hive you'd have what you need. As a kid I saw this done over and over but I never did it myself. We had a neighbor who kept bees and who wanted anyone to call him if a swarm was spotted. He'd come and get it right away.

Cheers

• Like 1

whistling.gif Just for info; some years ago when I worked in Turkey the Turkish government had a forest reserve area with a lot or pine trees.

The local farmers near this forest reserve area used to sell Honey on the road just outside the reserve area in glass jars,

The Honey was a seasonal thing, from pine flowers on the pine trees that appeared in the spring. The honey was dark, almost black in color, and had a sweet taste, but also a noticeable slightly bitter tang to it from the pine flowers sap.

That dark but sweet tangy honey from the flowering pine trees was the best honey I've ever tasted, anywhere in the world.

You never found it in the local stores, but only sold by the local farmers stalls on the road.

Never seen anything like it except that area in Turkey.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Soidog, you can learn about beekeeping online and you'll most likely get your bees from a beekeeper. For an amateur like you or me to wade into any wild hive trying to get the queen bee which we'd need, and some worker bees etc. would be a miracle especially without the right equipment. Colonies of bees divide when there is more than one queen and that's when we see them swarm, multiplying the number of colonies. Beekeepers go after those swarms once they land somewhere to establish a new hive and that's how they get some of their replacement colonies and growth colonies.

If you'd take your hives to a beekeeper and leave them, or buy a swarm and gently shake them into your properly prepared hive you'd have what you need. As a kid I saw this done over and over but I never did it myself. We had a neighbor who kept bees and who wanted anyone to call him if a swarm was spotted. He'd come and get it right away.

Cheers

Thanks, I did not mean it for myself; we are happy to host the wild bees every year for pollination.

When in season, they go crazy over the date flowers and oranges; I really need them for the avocados but unfortunately they all flower in the same time.

If you take your time to observe, you will see the several bee species have separate time slots for collecting pollen.

Not much inter species mixing while collecting pollen.

I just was curious to see if you're up to collecting the queens!

• Like 1

Or how about, tell the truth and shame the devil?

IMHO, your approach is counter productive. It might be better to start your own thread on the topic rather than diluting what has a good thread with good contributions.

If anybody knows any bee keepers who will stock hives, pls let me know. The few people we've spoken want us to buy the hives of them.

How difficult if beekeeper? I was under the impression they can be left pretty much to themselves, but someone said they're a lot of work.

I buy mine from the local market and yes it comes in a whiskey bottle which seems almost a tradition.

You can get paranoid about all things Thai but it usually a mistake. I have since become friends with the family and visited

their operation. All looks kosher to me and the honey tastes great. The guy it appears is a well known producer locally. He apologised at the price of 175 Baht. Most of the older folk around here have no comprehension of business and the idea of ripping someone off with a dodgy mixture just would not occur to them. Their offspring having spent sometime in the big smoke may well have new ideas so maybe the secret is to buy from the old guys.

If you happen to be in Chiangmai and are interested, there is a big government apiary just outside town. I can't tell you exactly how to get there, but am sure hat you can find the way if you ask around. There is normally someone around the apiary that can speak a little English. If nothing else, it is an interesting place to visit.

• 6 months later...

If you happen to be in Chiangmai and are interested, there is a big government apiary just outside town. I can't tell you exactly how to get there, but am sure hat you can find the way if you ask around. There is normally someone around the apiary that can speak a little English. If nothing else, it is an interesting place to visit.

That's probably the place next door to the Night Safari ?

And there are at least two places in the Chiang Mai area, where you can buy beekeeping-equipment, they are Forabee on the Chiang Mai to Lampang road (about 10km south of the Super-highway) and SupaBee in Mae-Rim.

• 2 weeks later...