Mormons proselytizing in Thailand

turgid

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right up front, I am not interested in the Mormon Religion but I've interviewed a number of them on Television in the past, and found them to be very polite and not anything like what was described above.

I also tend to question the veracity of the alleged conversation, based on what I have heard them say many times in the past. They seem to work from a "tried and trusted SCRIPT."

Opening up with, "Do you want to come to our church on Sunday?" I can't imagine that as an opener to a conversation.

"Church of latter day saints." I've always heard them say. "Church of Jesus Christ, of latter day saints."

Just those two lines make me wonder if you are telling us exactly what was said?

While living abroad, Mormons and various others knocked on our door and when my wife said politely, that she is a Buddhist and not interested in "converting," they were in turn very polite, wished her well and departed.

When we arrived back in Thailand a couple of people from a Christian Centre in our village left some advertising in our letter box. I phoned them and requested that they remove our house from their "mailing list." We've never been bothered by them again but I have to admit, they all look very decent and we are pleased to have them as neighbours.

Reckon there is more than enough hate and bigotry in the world, so just let them be.

and the poster is asking the same of them: "just let me be"

• Like 2

Old Stud = justjoined?

With my first post last November I got so beat up by trolls and I was done with TV forever. I came back a few months ago with a new avatar

and attitude. Now I'm having fun.

re: subject: No matter how innocent their little mission boys look, this cult is up to no good. Talk to some ex-Mormons who recovered their minds.

A teaching based on LOVE does not need to fight wars to defend it, or send brain-washed drones out into the world to spread it.

Personally I think any teaching (not matter what it is) that is truly based on love for others should be spread as widely as possible.
Actually, while embracing the love of Jesus they build their entire faith on a predicate that every other Christian is totally wrong, leaves little room for brotherly dialog. The premise: there was not just an apostasy of faith but an apostasy of the church itself- the sacraments, everything was returned to the Christian heaven by the fist few centuries AD, and that only when an itinerant treasure hunter names Joseph Smith got visited by God, Jesus, And John the Baptist at the same time were the keys to the proper church returned to the earth. Only through them is anyone even remotely saved. Gosh, even Moses didn't get all three, nor... Anyone! Even Jesus didn't get God when he screamed on the cross lama lama sambThtani or such. But the boy who used to be a bookbinder in Philadelphia for a spell, working for a man named Spaulding who, coincidentally wrote a novel about the earlier peoples of the Americas built upon the assumption of one of the tribes of the Jews fleeing at 1st temple destruction- to America, not to Babylon-and later filed a police report because it was stolen- (Book of Mormon)- he got visited by the great Host of Creation in a sunny vale one day.

So, sure, while most Mormons are quite sweet and thoughtful there is a self righteousness that is similR to other faiths that hold "other" as beneath. If I had to pick my neighbors I would rather Mormons than many others. I know my property value would increase. They are industrious, self reliant, fairly moral and upright, helpful and basically ok people, but like most other humans, I think they have an archaic and intellectually bankrupt view of the cosmos.

Edited by arjunadawn
  • Like 1

A teaching based on LOVE does not need to fight wars to defend it, or send brain-washed drones out into the world to spread it.

Personally I think any teaching (not matter what it is) that is truly based on love for others should be spread as widely as possible.
Actually, while embracing the love of Jesus they build their entire faith on a predicate that every other Christian is totally wrong, leaves little room for brotherly dialog. The premise: there was not just an apostasy of faith but an apostasy of the church itself- the sacraments, everything was returned to the Christian heaven by the fist few centuries AD, and that only when an itinerant treasure hunter names Joseph Smith got visited by God, Jesus, And John the Baptist at the same time were the keys to the proper church returned to the earth. Only through them is anyone even remotely saved. Gosh, even Moses didn't get all three, nor... Anyone! Even Jesus didn't get God when he screamed on the cross lama lama sambThtani or such. But the boy who used to be a bookbinder in Philadelphia for a spell, working for a man named Spaulding who, coincidentally wrote a novel about the earlier peoples of the Americas built upon the assumption of one of the tribes of the Jews fleeing at 1st temple destruction- to America, not to Babylon-and later filed a police report because it was stolen- (Book of Mormon)- he got visited by the great Host of Creation in a sunny vale one day.

So, sure, while most Mormons are quite sweet and thoughtful there is a self righteousness that is similR to other faiths that hold "other" as beneath. If I had to pick my neighbors I would rather Mormons than many others. I know my property value would increase. They are industrious, self reliant, fairly moral and upright, helpful and basically ok people.

that sounds almost as interesting as an unemployed carpenter claiming to have been sired by a god!

• Like 2

You really don't need to give any sort of reason or excuse, just a firm "Sorry, not interested" and walk away will do the trick.

Both my wife and I are soft-hearted dealing with people who talk nice. We can't say the words that you say.

We have had Christian people visiting us at our home in the moobaan. They are of different nationalities - British, Australian, German, Canadian, and even Chinese.

It's all ok with us having casual conversation and let them spread what they spread. We even invited them inside the house for coffee. They have never pushed us to go to their church. But, all in all, talking nicely with the religious people makes no harm! No need to insult them!

• Like 2

Yes, seems some of these posters have a chip on their shoulders of rather enormous proportions. I can't help but wonder if this is what attracts/holds the missionaries interest....they can sense there is not indifference there. Because when one really is indifferent, it is very easy to politely and convincingly say so and in my experience they quickly move on.

As some posters have pointed out, these young men are required to do this, it is mandatory (unlike some religions where missionaries are a self-selected group). Their only option would be to leave their church, and likely break with their families, which is a lot to ask of someone so young. So cut them some slack.

So if you belong to a crazy cult, it's ok to harass other people ? Because it's mandatory to do it :) what kind of logic is that?

• Like 2

Yes, seems some of these posters have a chip on their shoulders of rather enormous proportions. I can't help but wonder if this is what attracts/holds the missionaries interest....they can sense there is not indifference there. Because when one really is indifferent, it is very easy to politely and convincingly say so and in my experience they quickly move on.

As some posters have pointed out, these young men are required to do this, it is mandatory (unlike some religions where missionaries are a self-selected group). Their only option would be to leave their church, and likely break with their families, which is a lot to ask of someone so young. So cut them some slack.

So if you belong to a crazy cult, it's ok to harass other people ? Because it's mandatory to do it smile.png what kind of logic is that?

its no different than any other street hawker.

• Like 1

Old Stud = justjoined?

With my first post last November I got so beat up by trolls and I was done with TV forever. I came back a few months ago with a new avatar

and attitude. Now I'm having fun.

re: subject: No matter how innocent their little mission boys look, this cult is up to no good. Talk to some ex-Mormons who recovered their minds.

I too would be concerned about any cult, or quite frankly any faith which is trying to convert you to their way of thinking. As I keep saying there is simply no divine being- this is what is so refreshing about Bhuddism- no God.

Bit off topic- the members on here are pussycats compared to another forum - generally are informative, can be funny and witty.

Take no notice of those with thousands of posts who put down newbies.

Of course be very scared of the mods- only kidding.

• Like 1

So if you belong to a crazy cult, it's ok to harass other people ? Because it's mandatory to do it smile.png what kind of logic is that?

it is ,sometimes a street hawker may have something useful to buy

there is nothing useful in people trying to convert your religion

tell them the last time you went to church you got kicked out for masterbating......

it is ,sometimes a street hawker may have something useful to buy

there is nothing useful in people trying to convert your religion

tell them the last time you went to church you got kicked out for masterbating......

sometimes the person might find what theyre selling useful too. its the same. and like all street hawkers i just shake my head and walk on by.

• Like 1

My Mom always lets them in for a chat and does them a coffee. They havent robbed her yet!

Worse people in the world than Mormons.....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your Mom sounds very lonely. Maybe you should visit her more?

• Like 1

She just likes a good chat.

Shes 84. For some reason she doesnt mind the Mormons, but has no time for Muslims.

Be careful she has not signed over the inheritance to them, with thier sweet little chats, very easy to find Jesus at 84yolaugh.pngsmile.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Their mission is to spread what they sincerely believe to be the truth, and if they have been at it more than a day they certainly know that only a small minority of people are at all receptive to what they have to say.

It's that small minority that they are after. They have nothing at all to gain by wasting their time with the rest.

They approach everyone initially because they don't know which ones will prove receptive until they try.

All one has to do is make it very clear you are not receptive and they will move on. Engaging them in conversation - even in the form of hostile questions -- doesn't convey that, however. Quite the opposite.

Again, really no different than the dynamics of dealing with salespeop

"It's that small minority that they are after. They have nothing at all to gain by wasting their time with the rest."

Nothing to gain unless they can brain wash you and take control of your assets! or at least 10% of your wages Ah, religion...sublime isn't it?

She just likes a good chat.

Shes 84. For some reason she doesnt mind the Mormons, but has no time for Muslims.

Be careful she has not signed over the inheritance to them, with thier sweet little chats, very easy to find Jesus at 84yolaugh.pngsmile.png

Shes seen it all and read it all at 84.

Sends them out of the door tongue tied.

Ive no time for it.

our security guards would never let them in so i dont hve to worry about them ever knocking on the door

if i see them its usually around bts stations and its easy to discourage them

just stare at them as if your about to rip their faces off as they approach and they will normally choose aother victim IME

our security guards would never let them in so i dont hve to worry about them ever knocking on the door

if i see them its usually around bts stations and its easy to discourage them

just stare at them as if your about to rip their faces off as they approach and they will normally choose aother victim IME

if you simply shake your head and walk past them, how can you become a victim?

• Like 1

Read on another thread that these Mormon guys were only approaching hot young girls. Good to see that they are harassing all peoples in equal proportion.

Yes indeed.

Ask the brethren if they're getting ministered to.

Apparently there is a lot of ministration going on among young Hilltribe girls and boys.

It just never gets reported.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

Are these people allowed to do this ? I saw the scientologists pitching in Lumphini park a year or so ago promising all sorts of things.

This country has enough problems without these nutters wandering the streets spreading this nonsense.

Yes they are allowed to do it. Thailand even has a special Non Immigrant R visa for people studying religion or doing missionary work. Missionaries register with the Department of Religious Affairs and are approved to preach their religion in Thailand.

As for being nutters spreading nonsense, I'm not a Mormon, or even religious at all, but I think these polite young men and women are a infinitely preferable to the drunks hanging out everyday in Nana, Soi Cowboy, and Walking Street.

• Like 2

The Stickman article mentioned them and that is probably the main source of the outrage. He said they were mostly talking to young pretty Thai girls and the Thai girls were getting aroused because the young men were handsome and spoke Thai. I bet that hit a nerve for many.

Edited by farang000999
  • Like 1

When I was a crazy kid before I was a crazy adult, I had this thing with my friends when approached by scientologists. We would start yelling really loud SCIENTOLOGISTS! and start running away as if being violently assaulted. Too bad we didn't have youtube back then.

I appreciate Mormons more since they didn't make a stink about the wonderful broadway comedy, The Book of Mormon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsQGJK6wjZo

Ah, wonderful stuff, I am on my way to the US I hope they leave me alone!!

The reality is that many of these people are really good hard working and moral people. Whilst I do not share their views, I am at least happy that they are not out there stealing and bashing people.

Personally, I am firm and say "not interested". If they do not pay attention, I ignore them.

Absolutely loved "hello", great stuff, taking the piss works for me. Well done Jingthing

First, when I was younger, I had the pleasure of teaching a young Mormon girl the joys of the missionary position (pun intended) and a few others as well. She never tried to convert me but did make me promise to be nice to the missionaries I might run into. I continue to keep that promise........................

Obviously not a Mormon. The Mormon religion fobids sex prior to marriagewai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif

And of course they would never think of doing something they are forbidden to do like catholics??

I also had the pleasure etc. etc.