When to just let it go when a Thai tries to make you look stupid

happysanook

Seriously, after 7 years, I know the answer to this already unless I want to end up dead in a ditch, but today at the market I was walking along minding my business in the little town I live in for the last 3.5 years, and one of the market sellers started talking loudly directly at me about a girl friend of mine. I'm not sure what exactly he said, but it he was speaking extremely loudly and wanting to be heard by everyone and talking about my personal life and this girl.

Do you guys just let this go and move on?

Edited by happysanook

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...unless you want to end up dead in a ditch,

You know I hear this a lot, and usually when I ask the speaker to name one foreigner that has been killed over a verbal squabble, they can't. Or they name the American guy in Hiu Hin who got shot for complaining about the construction company- but fail to realize it was a rather smarmy Brit who arranged his hit.

• Like 2

One thing I have learned over the years, you will be judged not only by the way you dress, talk, act and speak, but also by the company you keep.

Maybe you should ask your mrs what she did to upset this guy, was she acting the mia farang? (like so many of them do, they seem to forget their roots and think they have now moved up in status).

Not enough info, how much Thai can you speak, he may well have been paying you a compliment.

For all you know he could have been telling you not to buy land or a house as she already has a pua luang.

• Like 2

@EBLair48 . So let's say it wasn't easy to 'suddenly disappear' or end up dead in Thailand, what would you do if you were being openly disrespected and it involved them talking rudely about you and a friend

@Ulysses, I may have misunderstood him it's true. But if I didn't, I surely did nothing to bring it on. I was walking along minding my own business.

@rgs, She is a non-Thai teacher who teaches 60km away from here. A friend who's been out and about this town perhaps 3 or 4 times with me.

Yes, perhaps I misunderstood.

Let me rephrase the question so there's no confusion or we pick apart the situation in 100 ways.

Assume for sure you know he's talking badly about you and a female friend. Maybe not terribly.....But where I come from we call it 'catching rec', or 'gaming on someone'. Basically jesting at someone else's expense and speaking loudly enough so that anyone within 50 meters can hear it. And this person is no friend of yours. What do you do?

You used the word "market" not me, its known as pasat talat.

The language you hear used you wont hear on the news or in formal speech.

Many times I have been to the market and the language and humour used is something my mrs gets embarrassed with, not with the language used, but she doesnt want me to repeat it for fear of another Thai hearing me and thinking my mrs taught me this language.

Examples include, tee lang ma kon diaw, chai krap ma gap mia mai sanook.

Another time I was wanting to buy matsam paste, the girl wasnt at her stall, I asked the girl at the next stall (who I knew and she knew me), tammai wan nee ee khao mai ma, bursts of hysterical laughter (the girl is as black as the ace of spades) from the girl I asked, some old yai was pissing herself cackling away ee khao arai wa, some young girl couldnt understand and once it was explained she also burst into laughter.

Unless you are fluent (I am not) best to forget it.

• Like 1

Thais will sometimes do this, in Thai, on the assumption you cannot understand what they are saying.

In that instance, stop, look directly at them and say , with an incredulous look on your face "Thamai mai supob?" (why so rude?)

And then pass on.

They are usually very embarassed to be caught out like that.

That is way too polite. "thammai mai soo paap"

It is very important for me to be "true to myself".

My wife used to be insulted, usually by motorcycle drivers in Bangkok, and I rarely let it go.

I can't let this behavior go. And never been in a fight for over 13 years because of it.

Often, I'll go up to the person and ask to repeat what they said as I thought I misheard it.

• Like 2

@EBLair48 . So let's say it wasn't easy to 'suddenly disappear' or end up dead in Thailand, what would you do if you were being openly disrespected and it involved them talking rudely about you and a friend

@Ulysses, I may have misunderstood him it's true. But if I didn't, I surely did nothing to bring it on. I was walking along minding my own business.

@rgs, She is a non-Thai teacher who teaches 60km away from here. A friend who's been out and about this town perhaps 3 or 4 times with me.

Yes, perhaps I misunderstood.

Let me rephrase the question so there's no confusion or we pick apart the situation in 100 ways.

Assume for sure you know he's talking badly about you and a female friend. Maybe not terribly.....But where I come from we call it 'catching rec', or 'gaming on someone'. Basically jesting at someone else's expense and speaking loudly enough so that anyone within 50 meters can hear it. And this person is no friend of yours. What do you do?

I would do nothing , because I believe everyone has a right to say whatever they want, whenever they want . If they were really annoying I might pick my nose, that seems to be how Thais demonstrate distaste with one another in a passive, disgusting way.

(I'd have to wash my hands first though. I really am convinced picking your nose with fingers leads to upper respiratory infections.)

Seriuosly - usually this kind of situation is about luring you into a violent situation- Can you kick ass , or not? Should you? Are you able to just walk away?

Edited by EBlair48

You stop and ask them what part of Lao their family came from, loudly. Seriously!

Not Lao... Kam-Poo-Cha.

:)

Anyway, OP, probably one of two things.

1) you didn't understand him correctly.

2) He was being a <deleted> due to resentment and jealousy issues, and highlighted them to everyone..... you win.

Either way, a shrug of the shoulders and spend what he makes in a day on a nice oil massage. :)

• Like 2

Considering that OP has no clue what was said, which OP confirmed, what is the point of this thread?blink.png

That many Thai men hate us and act like 12 year olds in front of their mates to put us down?

I thought it was all smiley happy people and Buddhist temples, so this is in fact a revelation.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

You stop and ask them what part of Lao their family came from, loudly. Seriously!

Not Lao... Kam-Poo-Cha.

smile.png

Anyway, OP, probably one of two things.

1) you didn't understand him correctly.

2) He was being a <deleted> due to resentment and jealousy issues, and highlighted them to everyone..... you win.

Either way, a shrug of the shoulders and spend what he makes in a day month on a oil special massage with a few ladies . smile.png

i'd smile right at him. i'd give him a little sign, possibly one suggesting he wasnt the most impressively endowed male.

i'd make sure he was the only one who saw the sign so he didnt lose face but knew i was onto him and i wasnt bothered.

in such situations i think to myself; look at your sh*tty little life and look at my life. who would i rather be?

Thais will sometimes do this, in Thai, on the assumption you cannot understand what they are saying.

In that instance, stop, look directly at them and say , with an incredulous look on your face "Thamai mai supob?" (why so rude?)

And then pass on.

That is way too polite. "thammai mai soo paap"

It is very important for me to be "true to myself".

My wife used to be insulted, usually by motorcycle drivers in Bangkok, and I rarely let it go.

I can't let this behavior go. And never been in a fight for over 13 years because of it.

Often, I'll go up to the person and ask to repeat what they said as I thought I misheard it.

Yes, good work and good for you.

You would catch them off guard with that and possibly next time they see you coming, they will get busy doing something.

Also my wife likes to confuse people like this with not so simple English. In the past we've continued along with them questioning her if she can speak Thai. It leaves them with many questions, Farang that speaks Thai, Thai looking Asian that seems not to speak Thai but english. Confused expressions on their face can normally be priceless.

• Like 1

Walk right up to him, smile and say, my thai is not too good but can you explain what you just said? Do you know this young lady? Can you explain to her so she can explain clearly to me ?

And remember, its not what you say, its the way you say it.

• Like 2

And then pass on.

Supab I think is the pronunciation.

Do you guys just let this go and move on?

If he was speaking in Thai I'd just think he is a prick and move on.

If he was speaking in English, I'd think he is a prick and move on.

Why not take your lady down and stand in front of him and tell your lady to ask what he said before, let's see if he clamps up.