Thai army imposes night-time curfew across country

Lite Beer

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10pm curfew? I don't like my freedom restricted; time to leave ASAP!

On Canadian news, the said it isn't really a curfew as anyone can walk around after hours and do what they want as long as they have a legal ID (passport) and papers with them.

The Thai Ambassador to Canada will say anything that can save his country's face.

What happens live Thailand is another story. He sweet talks the situation, hoping he can hold on to his job.

Bkk now = zzzzzzz

Second night now of in at ten.

Thursday not so bad, workday and all

Friday, reluctantly left as favourite spots closed at 2130

Tomorrow it will start to really kick in, as that means another weeks wait anyway.

Go get a physical tomorrow I guess lol, nothing better to and about time anyway

i am sure some of you are enjoying every minuite of your well earned holiday, whilst others are raising ridiculas scenarios. HAVE YOU NEVER HEARD OF ESSENTIAL SERVICES.to say the shops will be empty and what about night workers is just childish stupidity <deleted> grow up

i am sure some of you are enjoying every minuite of your well earned holiday, whilst others are raising ridiculas scenarios. HAVE YOU NEVER HEARD OF ESSENTIAL SERVICES.to say the shops will be empty and what about night workers is just childish stupidity <deleted> grow up

The military already announced that perishible food workers (abbatoir/wholesale markets), food distribution and logistics services will NOT be affected by the curfew.

They are not stupid. What needs to keep running will keep running, curfew or not.

I believe they are actually applying a measure of common sense here which is good.

• Like 1

I think it's a list of the provinces and not the cities.

It is a province list and appears to be heavily concentrated on 'red shirt' home provinces.

Is there any more news or confirmation on this list and where it came from ? If this is the case then maybe it's early confirmation that curfew restrictions are going to be lifted throughout most of the Kingdom....

7-11, Lotus and Burger King closed in Chiang Mai. However, McDonalds stayed up during the curfew, right in front of the main check point with the army. A few bar stayed open, as did massage shops and plenty of mom and pop convenient stores. Decent amount of traffic out. I rode around with no problems at all during the middle of it. Police and army were very relaxed on night #2 of the curfew here. It is more like a suggested curfew than a real one.

Just sitting in my condo having a beer or two, and thinking which ever way you dress this up, its all because of one man, all this disruption over the last few years, all the deaths and hardship, all the words written and life's affected.

One man his ambitions and his money his family.

Flame away, I don't care its my opinion

Be more specific... which man?

Got to hotel (majestic suites) at 9pm, rushed round to Nana which was more or less closed so hit Hillary's 2 (open to 11pm) then some bars further down Soi4, leaving at 2am (bar was still open [emoji106])

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All those who were celebrating Martial Law on another thread, and the down fall of the Shinawatras - welcome to the real world. And next time, be a little more careful what it is you wish for!

Still celebrating Martial law and the down fall of the Shinawatras...curfew will soon pass...as Martial law...to get rid of the Shinawatras family...worth every bit of it...

You don't think they will get elected again once the military allows a new election?

No...I really do not...most of the country has had its fill of the Shinawatras family and cronies corrupt politics...

You may be correct, the rice pledging scheme scam may be the final nail in the coffin.

A post suggesting illegal and dangerous activity (ignoring the curfew) has been removed.

It takes only one cop or soldier to spot you and suspect you're up to no good to land you in a world of hurt.

Not worth it.

• Like 2

Can somebody please provide this in a larger file size? I can't read Thai unless I can see the letters clearly, and this is too small. I tried saving it and expanding it uses photo software, but the resolution is too small, the letters are still unreadable.

I posted a translation (link below) but also I sharpened the original & reattached it

Size is the same though as it is not possible to enlarge & maintain clarity

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728298-thai-army-imposes-night-time-curfew-across-country/page-31#entry7875367

• Like 2

Got to hotel (majestic suites) at 9pm, rushed round to Nana which was more or less closed so hit Hillary's 2 (open to 11pm) then some bars further down Soi4, leaving at 2am (bar was still open [emoji106])

Did Hilary 2 actually close at 11PM?. The word was they would be open until 5am......

No reason for curfew at all .If the military is in control then they are in control 24 hours.Its nothing more than "to prove they have power"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kingalfred

A curfew is a practical device. Soldiers are not trained to be police. They are trained killers. It is hard enough for them to keep the peace in the daylight, but at night there is far too great a chance that a nervous soldier will shoot someone coming out of the darkness. Keeping everyone indoors allows the troops to maintain control with less tension and use of personnel.

The last thing you want are tired, jumpy soldiers carrying loaded Tavor assault rifles patrolling your street.

• Like 1

But if there is a curfew then there are soldiers around at night with arms enforcing it.

Edited by kingalfred

No reason for curfew at all .If the military is in control then they are in control 24 hours.Its nothing more than "to prove they have power"

I agree. It's to get peoples attention and to reinforce the state of martial law in everyone's minds. Most of the closures AFAIC are unnecessary except as attention-getters. After all, what if martial law was declared and then a coup and everyone was too busy on their smart phones and TV to notice (which they are anyway for the most part). So some overreach was the order of the day (week?, month? year?, decade?). This martial law and curfew has got to be really crippling the Thai economy even more so than the protests.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

A curfew is a practical device. Soldiers are not trained to be police. They are trained killers. It is hard enough for them to keep the peace in the daylight, but at night there is far too great a chance that a nervous soldier will shoot someone coming out of the darkness. Keeping everyone indoors allows the troops to maintain control with less tension and use of personnel.

The last thing you want are tired, jumpy soldiers carrying loaded Tavor assault rifles patrolling your street.

The curfew is only for 7 hours out of 24 (less that 1/3 of the day). Using your logic, what is going to prevent a "jumpy soldier" from overreacting between 0500 and 2200 when there are plenty of collateral damage prospects on the street (innocent bystanders)? Also, the people they're trying to catch or suppress can simply stay in at night and then be on the street/travel in daytime. If the army were looking for me, that's what I'd be doing - hiding in plain sight or traveling at night off the roads (if that's possible).

Both the martial law invocation and the coup are untoward overreactions ... or are they? I'd do both if I were preparing for a real iron-fisted cleanup of Thai politics and 'extremists'. I know it's done wonders for the noisy (modified exhaust system) motorbikes on my main street.

Ahhhh it's so nice out there after 2200 these days. But in the morning the next cycle of the monk motorcade (monkcade?) with the 1 KW amplifier and the mad on the street retaliate.

Edited by MaxYakov

The curfew is only for 7 hours out of 24 (less that 1/3 of the day). Using your logic, what is going to prevent a "jumpy soldier" from overreacting between 0500 and 2200 when there are plenty of collateral damage prospects on the street (innocent bystanders)? Also, the people they're trying to catch or suppress can simply stay in at night and then be on the street/travel in daytime. If the army were looking for me, that's what I'd be doing - hiding in plain sight or traveling at night off the roads (if that's possible).

Both the martial law invocation and the coup are untoward overreactions ... or are they? I'd do both if I were preparing for a real iron-fisted cleanup of Thai politics and 'extremists'. I know it's done wonders for the noisy (modified exhaust system) motorbikes on my main street.

Ahhhh it's so nice out there after 2200 these days. But in the morning the next cycle of the monk motorcade (monkcade?) with the 1 KW amplifier and the mad on the street retaliate.

Jesus wept!

"Collateral Damage Prospects on the street"

What have we become ?