Military Coup - Chiang Mai

kjhbigv

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here on the rarest of visits to the forum in the hope of reading something either interesting or informative. I should have known better. All this thread needs now is a bit of fuss about how the coup is messing up the best 99 Baht all-you-can-eat pizza deal somewhere.

It's early yet. biggrin.png

Here on the rarest of visits to the forum in the hope of reading something either interesting or informative. I should have known better. All this thread needs now is a bit of fuss about how the coup is messing up the best 99 Baht all-you-can-eat pizza deal somewhere.

Gosh, I'd be interested in that 99 baht pizza deal. Can you tell me where it is?

• Like 1

Gosh, I'd be interested in that 99 baht pizza deal. Can you tell me where it is?

The Wine place near the main entrance to Central Festival is doing Pizza + coke for 149bht, if that helps.

But remember, they are closing a bit earlier in the evening at the moment.

Khaosod reports a candlelight anti-coup procession around the moat, apparently last night. Anyone see this?

Reteurs report a small anti coup protest in chiang Mai yesterday; around only a hundred people they said. Passed off peacefully apparently. Not heard anything of it at all though here.

It's early yet. biggrin.png

They cannot put both the red sauce and the yellow cheese on the same pizza now.

Rumour has it that the curfew is now 11pm ; my wife says so and I think I saw it somewhere on the internet, any confirmation?

My thai friends says 11. But Im not 100% sure

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Rumour has it that the curfew is now 11pm ; my wife says so and I think I saw it somewhere on the internet, any confirmation?

that rumour was doing the rounds of the bars last night, 11pm friday and saturday nights, curfew changed to midnight on sunday etc. seems to be based on nothing but hearsay from some facebook post. nothing official.

I have seen a similar thing but cannot guarantee its authenticity.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here are those provinces in English for anyone interested

PS: the bottom of your lists states

Penalty for violation of curfew is 2 years in jail or 40,000 baht fine

or combination of both

1- Nonthaburi

2- Ayutthaya

3- Pathum thani

4- Makhon Pathom

5-Chiang Mai

6- Chiang Rai

7- Ubon Ratchathani

8- Mahasarakham

9- Roi-et

10-Nong Bua Lamphu

11- Sakon Nakhon

12- Kalasin

13- Mukdahan

14- Udon Thani

15- Nan

16- Lampang

17- Sisaket

18- Nakorn Ratchasima

19- Chaiyapoon

20- Nakhorn Sawan

21- Khon Kaen

22- Chonburi

23-Samut Prakan

Edited by mania

Probably a bit early for any noticeable change. I would imagine the curfew is fairly loose, unlike the curfew we had in Los Angeles in 1992 when the police said "anyone caught out on the streets after curfew will be shot on sight. Shoot now, ask questions later." They were serious about it.

I was born in and lived on and off in L.A. for many years, including time during the `65 Watts riots as well as the `92 riots.

In either case, NEVER did the city issue orders to the police (LAPD follows emergency orders and doesn't make them) or did the police or National Guard issue any separate order to "sight on sight" curfew breakers. Martial law in most countries does give the police and legitimate armed units the right to shoot looters. Yes, they all carried live ammo but did not chamber a shell ON ORDERS.

Look for any archival documentation validating your Los Angeles "Shoot now, ask questions later" statement. You won't find it.

• Like 1

Probably a bit early for any noticeable change. I would imagine the curfew is fairly loose, unlike the curfew we had in Los Angeles in 1992 when the police said "anyone caught out on the streets after curfew will be shot on sight. Shoot now, ask questions later." They were serious about it.

I was born in and lived on and off in L.A. for many years, including time during the `65 Watts riots as well as the `92 riots.

In either case, NEVER did the city issue orders to the police (LAPD follows emergency orders and doesn't make them) or did the police or National Guard issue any separate order to "sight on sight" curfew breakers. Martial law in most countries does give the police and legitimate armed units the right to shoot looters. Yes, they all carried live ammo but did not chamber a shell ON ORDERS.

Look for any archival documentation validating your Los Angeles "Shoot now, ask questions later" statement. You won't find it.

I was living in LA during the 92 riots. The curfew was taken seriously, I remember rushing through a date to beat it, but cops weren't shooting people on sight. Most people didn't want to be out on the streets at night during that time anyway since everything was closed and there was nothing but trouble waiting for you.

Was out yesterday on my motorbike yesterday, from 1 to 5 PM. I saw two military check points on Chiang Mai - Lampun Road and one on RT 1001 before Mae Jo (Southbound lane, heading towards CM) They didn't seem to be stopping any one but were armed with M16s and sub machine guns...

Is this happening now? Photos of riot police at Tha Pae?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewnarit/14256552374/

To be clear, they are army and not police.

wonder what they think might happen tonight in the city? any red shirt sightings? i was out yesterday and today and found it to be amazingly quiet, kinda like C.M. about 8 or 9 years ago. i passed Thaphae but it was much earlier in the day. didn't see any soldiers.

So, current situation: Not much of an enforcement of a curfew yesterday. Was actually a very fun night out; seemed more people out than usual in the bars, or at least more at an earlier hour. (Trying to make the most of it I guess). Either way I was there until around midnight. Some bars put shutters down but carried on as usual inside. One of the better nights so far this year for me actually.

it was very tense a few minutes ago at the moat, people tried to tip a car and the soldiers had to bust out the riot shields; lots of yelling. Someone assaulted a soldier and some people were throwing rocks

Edited by Cheesekraft

So, current situation: Not much of an enforcement of a curfew yesterday. Was actually a very fun night out; seemed more people out than usual in the bars, or at least more at an earlier hour. (Trying to make the most of it I guess). Either way I was there until around midnight. Some bars put shutters down but carried on as usual inside. One of the better nights so far this year for me actually.

So you are advocating breaking the curfew ?