Military Coup - Chiang Mai

kjhbigv

Sone ones having a karaoke party round my way; bloody racket and can't sing at all. Not sure it's with a live band or just a noisey machine but it's times like this I wish the curfew was permanent and strictly enforced!

Joking about the curfew.

But not about the karaoke.

I know what you mean about the quality of some karaoke singing. But don't worry. Give Prayuth a couple of years (he's told the EC there won't be elections for quite a while) and he may get around to levying a tax on it. All depends on how power grabs him. I'm told it's a heady brew.

Edited by 15Peter20
  • Like 1

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some off topic political commentary has been removed. This topic is about what is going on specifically around Chiang Mai to keep members informed. Political discussion can be taken over to the News section.

• Like 1

Sone ones having a karaoke party round my way; bloody racket and can't sing at all. Not sure it's with a live band or just a noisey machine but it's times like this I wish the curfew was permanent and strictly enforced!

Joking about the curfew.

It is not a violation of the curfew to hold parties at home or on any premises or that everyone has to be in their own homes after curfew time.

It clearly states that people, excluding shift workers, those working in essential services, the emergency services, those requiring urgent medical treatment and medical emergencies, are not permitted on the streets and roads after curfew time.

Make no mistake, curfew time is 22.00 until 5.00, this was made clear from the start, there are no ifs, buts or maybes about it. Anyone who ventures out after 22.00 does so at their own risk and discretion.

I personally do not agree with the curfew and being practically under house arrest during the late hours, but the above mentioned is for those who are maybe not quite sure of what is the situation.

• Like 1

So, current situation: Not much of an enforcement of a curfew yesterday. Was actually a very fun night out; seemed more people out than usual in the bars, or at least more at an earlier hour. (Trying to make the most of it I guess). Either way I was there until around midnight. Some bars put shutters down but carried on as usual inside. One of the better nights so far this year for me actually.

So you are advocating breaking the curfew ?

I'm saying I had a fun night out yesterday, and that it went on well past 10 pm, and .. ah heck, it's all right there in that very paragraph you already quoted. wink.png

Responsibility no, <removed> instead, as usual from Winnie. Reminder. We are Foreigners living in someone elses Country, Winnie. On occasions like this, a bit of maturity and common sense would be much better for all of us rather than the "ha ha I broke the law" type of attitude you so frequently offer. Are you a mature person or a ten year old child??

Edited by onthedarkside
insult removed
  • Like 2

Joking about the curfew.

It is not a violation of the curfew to hold parties at home or on any premises or that everyone has to be in their own homes after curfew time.

It clearly states that people, excluding shift workers, those working in essential services, the emergency services, those requiring urgent medical treatment and medical emergencies, are not permitted on the streets and roads after curfew time.

Make no mistake, curfew time is 22.00 until 5.00, this was made clear from the start, there are no ifs, buts or maybes about it. Anyone who ventures out after 22.00 does so at their own risk and discretion.

I personally do not agree with the curfew and being practically under house arrest during the late hours, but the above mentioned is for those who are maybe not quite sure of what is the situation.

I just wonder how many more days this curfew will last. It's very damaging to my and countless other businesses as we all know... And even IF you can go out until 10 pm - nobody likes to walk a street with hundreds of heavily armed soldiers hanging around... Chang Phuak felt like a military zone yesterday...xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0.png

It will undoubtedly last until people stop gathering at places like Chang Phuak gate to protest the situation, even if the gatherings occur before the curfew. Remember people are not suppose to gather in public in groups of more than 5. That restriction was put in place to prevent what happened last evening, which easily could have escalated had it not been broken up so quickly.

Note: I'm not expressing an opinion on whether either side is justified in doing what they're doing, just pointing out that from our perspective it means we can't go across town in the early evening to enjoy dinner in the Night Bazaar area with plans to return home before the curfew because of possible traffic snarls or road blocks at the gates around the moat.

That, unfortunately, is very bad for business when even local residents can't patronize businesses that are trying to remain open before the curfew.

• Like 1

It will undoubtedly last until people stop gathering at places like Chang Phuak gate to protest the situation, even if the gatherings occur before the curfew. Remember people are not suppose to gather in public in groups of more than 5. That restriction was put in place to prevent what happened last evening, which easily could have escalated had it not been broken up so quickly.

Note: I'm not expressing an opinion on whether either side is justified in doing what they're doing, just pointing out that from our perspective it means we can't go across town in the early evening to enjoy dinner in the Night Bazaar area with plans to return home before the curfew because of possible traffic snarls or road blocks at the gates around the moat.

That, unfortunately, is very bad for business when even local residents can't patronize businesses that are trying to remain open before the curfew.

If you are correct we could have curfews for the next few months or so. I'm afraid, people won't stop gathering that easily...

All the international TV stations are shut down. Is the Internet next?

In New York power break in July 1977, in Thailand military coup end of May 2014, no TV, curfew.

The same result: 9 month later - more babies born as usual.

No. Can't shut down the internet, It would affect the economy, banking and also the army. No way they have intentions to shut it down.

No. Can't shut down the internet, It would affect the economy, banking and also the army. No way they have intentions to shut it down.

Good. It would really suck to be in the middle of a big mess and have no idea of what was going on all over the country. In 2010, I don't remember them shutting down the international new networks.

I took a walk round town today... good to see all was calm and under control.....

post-153732-0-72595300-1401002163_thumb.

The real troops were looking pretty relaxed, and were getting many donations of food from passers-by. Let's hope calm can prevail.

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 1

Good. It would really suck to be in the middle of a big mess and have no idea of what was going on all over the country. In 2010, I don't remember them shutting down the international new networks.

There was NO coup in 10. In 2006 September 19th there was and as it happened CNN and BBC were both cut off the air. It was UBC back then about 48 hours no CNN or BBC. Interesting WETV never skipped a beat BBC stayed on.

• Like 1

4:30 PM.. drove by chang puek (north, or elephant gate).. around 100+ armed military gathering, some with riot shields...

heard there was a good sized demonstration there last night.

supposed to be some demonstrations at thae pae gate this evening. only empty troop trucks there and a group of

officers sitting and eating when i went there. no troops did i see.

A friend of mine just sent me an American Embassy email stating that there were demonstrations that could turn violent in the Chang Puak and Tapae Gate areas--not sure whether this is of note--but might be worth avoiding these areas.

Maybe @Dave2 could truck on down so we can see the photos.

Edited by haybilly

A friend of mine just sent me an American Embassy email stating that there were demonstrations that could turn violent in the Chang Puak and Tapae Gate areas--not sure whether this is of note--but might be worth avoiding these areas.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728318-military-coup-chiang-mai/page-8#entry7878499

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728318-military-coup-chiang-mai/page-8#entry7878499

Your link is to this thread?

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by marsipan

Oh well--I like to keep abreast of the times--and up-to-date--as you can see.

• Like 1

Your link is to this thread?

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No--not my link--that would be stupid, eh.

He was kindly pointing out that my information was slightly out of date.

• Like 1

Dave is a photo hobbyist who kindly posts pictures on TVF, he's not a war correspondent!

• Like 2

Hello nicksal37, the Mail Online app on my tablet is working just fine. The article was good to read yesterday, and an interesting insight into attitudes and priorities in some minds!!

There is no doubt that there will be some rocky days ahead, just as there have been rocky days for years past. This is the price paid in a society in transformation. A disruptive and sometimes brutal experience as the entrenched try to protect what they have, pitted against those who have a right and desire to improve their lot. So you had better accept that tension and disruption is the norm for decades to come.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Not quite right. The 'INTERNET' as you mention it is an all embracing term covering all forms of 'computer' connections etc. Any goverment or ISP can block, or allow, any service as they see fit. This means that social internet can be blocked but commercial connections (banking etc) can still be maintained.

Dave is a photo hobbyist who kindly posts pictures on TVF, he's not a war correspondent!

The Changpuak demo, soldiers being confronted and snatching people for arrests, etc is all on utube in abundance. Seems to be happening every day.

Not quite right. The 'INTERNET' as you mention it is an all embracing term covering all forms of 'computer' connections etc. Any goverment or ISP can block, or allow, any service as they see fit. This means that social internet can be blocked but commercial connections (banking etc) can still be maintained.

True, and it looks like that is effectively what is happening. Some outside news sites have been blocked via technical means, and places like TV are self-censoring.