Military Coup - Chiang Mai

kjhbigv

A friend of mine just sent me an American Embassy email stating that there were demonstrations that could turn violent in the Chang Puak and Tapae Gate areas--not sure whether this is of note--but might be worth avoiding these areas.

Maybe @Dave2 could truck on down so we can see the photos.

Dave is a photo hobbyist who kindly posts pictures on TVF, he's not a war correspondent!

The Changpuak demo, soldiers being confronted and snatching people for arrests, etc is all on utube in abundance. Seems to be happening every day.

What one arrest posted 50 times from different angles? I guess that would be an abundance of u tube video's with only one arrest.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is an excerpt from a piece off the reutures app. So I can not provide the link but you can google search I am sure.

""

Thaksin was a policeman before going into the telecommunications business.

"""

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So what. He was a school student before that. Does that mean all school students will rise up and march on Bangkok? Apathetic piece of journalism.

More the point I post the piece was the quoting of the Rak CM51 leader who was threatening taking over gov buildings and blocking roads and unilaterally declaring independence across the 71 provinces of the north. That's the bit I found interesting. As quoted by western media independently from a pre coup interview on May 8 this year. So no yellow or whatever propaganda trying to make reds look bad. Strait from the horses mouth. With talk like that and the increases violence in Bangkok and further weapons on the move (now being seized by the military thankfully), it's no wonder a coup took place to deal with such treason before it really got out of hand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A friend of mine just sent me an American Embassy email stating that there were demonstrations that could turn violent in the Chang Puak and Tapae Gate areas--not sure whether this is of note--but might be worth avoiding these areas.

Well isn't that interesting the Americans have not got a clue as to the happenings here in Thailand but the Embassy who did not even bother to listen to the coup leaders reasons just happen to know of two hot spots on a Saturday in a city about 500 miles away.

The stories are getting better and better.

Edit

Forgot to ask if your friend in the US embassy told you about the citizens feeding the troops.

Apparently they're using different news sources from the controlled/censored ones that you seem glued to.

Nothing really serious happened so far near Chang Phuak or Thapae yesterday, but the atmosphere was definitely tense.

So in a tense situation, doesn't it make sense for an embassy to recommend citizens not to be in places that have the potential of becoming a flashpoint?

Fortunately the the US embassy / consulate gathers information from more sources than just the mainstream Thai media's troupe of cheermonkeys. (It's not even that hard actually.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I'm reading reports of gunfire last night on facebook. Anyone hear this? Chang Puak gate?

It was reported that the soldiers fired warning shots in the air to disperse the crowd.

Who reported this? Any links?

I'm reading reports of gunfire last night on facebook. Anyone hear this? Chang Puak gate?

It was reported that the soldiers fired warning shots in the air to disperse the crowd.

Who reported this? Any links?

He said already.

Just face book heresay gossip rubbish

Was it Richard barrow who was claiming reds were unarmed in 2010 until Al-Jazzeria got footage of them with guns and shooting at police and soldiers. Sneeking about using the other unarmed reds as cover. After that report BBC etc had to change their tune.

Was it Richard barrow who was claiming reds were unarmed in 2010 until Al-Jazzeria got footage of them with guns and shooting at police and soldiers. Sneeking about using the other unarmed reds as cover. After that report BBC etc had to change their tune.

Also suthep was at least employing peaceful means through civil disobedience.

Not the same as violent insurrection; using M16, M79, explosives and the like.

I think we've been urged several times to keep the political debate in the news forum, and keep this about the goings on in Chiang Mai. Presumably that applies to all of us, unless I'm told otherwise.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thought Richard was covering things from bangkok.

So he's just reporting on Facebook hear say now is he?

Pictures don't show anything like shots being fired.

I'm not saying shots might not have been fired; but I'm also not trusting every word that comes out of journalists mouths. I don't think they are incorruptible either.

^ He's on Twitter 24/7 it seems. wink.png

And he coves the whole of Thailand, and doing an exceptional job. https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow

But to be clear- he wasn't there; he was in Bangkok.

How many times does heresay have to be re-reported before it becomes fact?

I just suggest everybody keeps a cool head and deal in evidenced facts only at a time like this.

Good idea to just keep tucked up safe in bed after 10pm for a few days though anyway.

If you really can't survive with out going drinking then just start early and stagger home shortly after lunch! Haha

Good idea to just keep tucked up safe in bed after 10pm for a few days though anyway.

If you really can't survive with out going drinking then just start early and stagger home shortly after lunch! Haha

Earlier this evening I was eating and enjoying drinks with an attractive young friend, while being well attended to by attractive and barely-adult young waitresses; the kind of evening I should have happily enjoyed until well past midnight. A little after 9 p.m. the bill was presented and we were politely asked to finish so the staff could go home.

I hate this curfew!

""permanent secretary for education Sutthasri Wongsamarn said all public and private schools across the country would resume classes today, after being ordered to close temporarily in the wake of Thursday’s coup.""

From the other news paper website.

Dave is a photo hobbyist who kindly posts pictures on TVF, he's not a war correspondent!

Yes, yes--I was being facetious--I certainly would not want anyone going to these flashpoints.

re

Posted Yesterday, 18:04

4:30 PM.. drove by chang puek (north, or elephant gate).. around 100+ armed military gathering, some with riot shields...

i went past there yesterday lunchtime and there were quite a few police cage wagons that they used to round up the ladyboys with there

also about 6 army trucks and some soldiers posted every few hundred yards along the moat towards wat pa pao but no sign of trouble or crowds of people doing anything !

thaphae gate

only empty troop trucks there and a group of

officers sitting and eating when i went there. no troops did i see.

hes about right but there were a lot more soldiers and police behind these trucks and fire engine at thaphae gate than there were a few days ago but no sign of crowds or trouble there either !

someone said earlier that this is hurting the shops bars etc !

a girl i knows boyfriend works nights in spicy and at the mo she says they are opening 5 pm to 9 pm and they are not happy sad.png

dave2

i'm sure...most Spicy patrons aren't even out of bed by 5 p,m.

• Like 1