Military Coup - Chiang Mai

kjhbigv

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NBA playoffs, Masterchef Australia finals week and the military jams EVERY channel on True Visions satellite service. Still now a poster screen for the "National Peace and Order Maintaining Council," is broadcast along with old patriotic songs.

It's really exasperating and frustrating. How long is this going to last, one wonders....

i'm sure those in command are deeply sorry for disrupting your TV watching schedule this weekend. buy a book.

who comes to live in a foreign country to sit around and watch television???

I came for the soapies. Only in Thailand can you get soapies like these. Now no soapies, how sad.

The soapies are definitely a plus.thumbsup.gif

Always take my rubber duck for both of us to play with.

NBA playoffs, Masterchef Australia finals week and the military jams EVERY channel on True Visions satellite service. Still now a poster screen for the "National Peace and Order Maintaining Council," is broadcast along with old patriotic songs.

It's really exasperating and frustrating. How long is this going to last, one wonders....

How long is this going to last, one wonders.... More to the point.... who cares ? Masterchef Australia !!! You've gotta be joking, right ???

Where do you get all these silly rumours from, internet still up. The army have stated that social media will be curtailed if people start posting inflamitory remarks and rumours, they didnt say they would shut down the internet.

i think i'm going to go to the ATM and get some cash now. could be a run on the banks in the morning and ATM's could be empty.

Can you enlighten us why you think that? Is your reasoning that the baht may weaken or what? Makes no difference to a Thai unless they convert it to another currency.

If the ATM is empty, just go in the bank.

I don't think any Thai's are thinking the same, why would they?

Run On the banks is the kind of mass hysteria that causes runs on banks

i think i'm going to go to the ATM and get some cash now. could be a run on the banks in the morning and ATM's could be empty.

Can you enlighten us why you think that? Is your reasoning that the baht may weaken or what? Makes no difference to a Thai unless they convert it to another currency.

If the ATM is empty, just go in the bank.

I don't think any Thai's are thinking the same, why would they?

Crazy talk this. Why not start the rumor jerk face and make the baht 100 to 1

No school tomorrow affects bangkok only or here as well? Kids are having a pre-celebratory dance so deciding to put them to sleep or not.

Putting them to sleep is a bit drastic isn't it. You might have a hard job finding a vet to do that here too.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Channel News Asia (184) on CTH is still showing mostly news about the coup but it's getting a bit repetitive. They say that Thai PBS is broadcasting via youtube. I assume that means they are just uploading video clips. All of the Thai stations are showing the same still logo and playing music.

Grin

My Channel News Asia is down... alt=bah.gif>

Yep, screen was frozen when I went back to the TV.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/tv/live

can watch the same live online

right they are asking for a password, which I'm sure you know about.

I looks like your promoting the use of this site to gain peoples info,

which is required to get a password.

Has my daily life been affected by the military coup? Only slightly as local and cable TV has been taken over by the military so all programming has been cancel. I have a satellite dish so I get TV from Viet Nam and Laos with all the western programs. Also there is a curfew from 10PM to 5AM which doesn’t affect me as I do not go to bars or pubs. In Chiang Mai where I live there are no military troops posted anywhere that I have seen and everything is normal and peaceful.

Tourists here are taking it all in stride doing their day time activities of visiting temples and markets, trekking and hiking and enjoy adventures. They go out in the evenings to have dinner then return to their guest house or hotel by 10PM with beer or wine purchased at the local stores. They are listening to music or watching movies provided by the establishment where they are staying.

I am not going to get into politics here as there are many others blogging about this and I don’t truly care. As mentioned I have been here and seen this several times and never once seen any tourist or visitor harmed. My advice is to just come and enjoy the warm and friendly people, great food and natural beauty of Chiang Mai.

As long as my travel insurance company won't issue a policy for Thailand, I won't be coming back..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

can watch the same live online

You do not need a password to view this so maybe you owe someone an apaology.

• Like 1

i'm sure those in command are deeply sorry for disrupting your TV watching schedule this weekend. buy a book.

Well oscar you live in a foreign country to sit around and read a book you got it right. We should all do the same as you.

Has my daily life been affected by the military coup? Only slightly as local and cable TV has been taken over by the military so all programming has been cancel. I have a satellite dish so I get TV from Viet Nam and Laos with all the western programs. Also there is a curfew from 10PM to 5AM which doesn’t affect me as I do not go to bars or pubs. In Chiang Mai where I live there are no military troops posted anywhere that I have seen and everything is normal and peaceful.

Tourists here are taking it all in stride doing their day time activities of visiting temples and markets, trekking and hiking and enjoy adventures. They go out in the evenings to have dinner then return to their guest house or hotel by 10PM with beer or wine purchased at the local stores. They are listening to music or watching movies provided by the establishment where they are staying.

I am not going to get into politics here as there are many others blogging about this and I don’t truly care. As mentioned I have been here and seen this several times and never once seen any tourist or visitor harmed. My advice is to just come and enjoy the warm and friendly people, great food and natural beauty of Chiang Mai.

As long as my travel insurance company won't issue a policy for Thailand, I won't be coming back..

Sounds like you need a new travel insurer.Its absolute nonsense that any tourist or Thai citizen faces any danger going about their normal lives...total over reaction.

• Like 2

Saw 4 soldiers on the side of the Canal road on my way into work to CMU. One of them was in a tree dropping fruit down to another. So be careful out there, looks dangerous as you could poke an eye out with one of those. biggrin.png

Looks like there was no point coming into work as the parking lot was pretty empty and maybe 10-15% of the staff were there and one of our research buildings completely shuttered up. So guess I will get my shopping done after all. wink.png

• Like 1

You do not need a password to view this so maybe you owe someone an apology.

Yes I am not sure what he is on about smile.png

Could be his computer has a virus & is re-directing him.

It is just a regular internet news site live feed

Still working fine

Edited by mania

Sounds like you need a new travel insurer.Its absolute nonsense that any tourist or Thai citizen faces any danger going about their normal lives...total over reaction.

You don't understand- if your policy is void, you won't be covered for ANY mishap, coup related or not, which might befall you on holiday. Having spent one night in ICU in Bangkok a few years ago, I was glad I wasn't paying the $2,000+ bill myself..

• Like 1

Ok it seems that it is an issue with what operating system you have as on my apple mac using safari the site asks for a username and password and on my other windows based computer using chrome or firefox you can view the site no problem

Hope this helps ?

Well, I never would have guessed this, but you are indeed correct. I am using a Mac and when I access the site with Firefox, no login credentials required. When I try to access it with Safari, a pop-up comes up and asks for login credentials.

Strange.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

I know a lot of expats who sit around and watch TV at pubs. Does that count? burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

I like Masterchef because I cook some myself. The reason I am miffed is that it's a three-month competition and it's now in the final week with the final three contestants. Sure, life won't end because I will have missed it, but it still seems churlish to cut off pure entertainment channels. And the live broadcast of the NBA playoffs is something I can't get back (the live part, that is).

I would think there would be massive hell to pay if this had cut off key matches in the World Cup.

And what about all those Distance Learning channels? Those poor kids in remote parts of Issan can't get their education now!

Anyway....

Commandeering the TV stations seems like nothing short of bullying to me.

By the way, the music channels on the audio side of True Visions is still working as before.

I know a lot of expats who sit around and watch TV at pubs. Does that count? burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

I like Masterchef because I cook some myself. The reason I am miffed is that it's a three-month competition and it's now in the final week with the final three contestants. Sure, life won't end because I will have missed it, but it still seems churlish to cut off pure entertainment channels. And the live broadcast of the NBA playoffs is something I can't get back (the live part, that is).

I would think there would be massive hell to pay if this had cut off key matches in the World Cup.

And what about all those Distance Learning channels? Those poor kids in remote parts of Issan can't get their education now!

Anyway....

By the way, the music channels on the audio side of True Visions is still working as before.

Yup and this is only kindergarten bullying, just to let you know they can do as they choose.

Looks like it's PM P - self elected.

Passed the airport could only see one soldier and one military vehicle but that was from the road, seemed like business as normal.

Four or five soldiers outside the car license office on HangDong road and a couple more going for lunch at Big C.

Anyway....

i was only joking with you. don't take it too seriously. wink.png i like Master Chef too.thumbsup.gif