Military Coup - Chiang Mai

kjhbigv

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, current situation: Not much of an enforcement of a curfew yesterday. Was actually a very fun night out; seemed more people out than usual in the bars, or at least more at an earlier hour. (Trying to make the most of it I guess). Either way I was there until around midnight. Some bars put shutters down but carried on as usual inside. One of the better nights so far this year for me actually.

So you are advocating breaking the curfew ?

I thought he was saying he got lucky.

people have been gathering in the centre of the moat at chang puak gate of an evening for about the last week or more, usually have some projector screen setup and some seats. The curfew hasnt stopped them as they have been out there at night since it began, however i didnt see the projection screen recently. Last night was probably 80-100 people there, apparently the moat by chang puak has been diverted tonight i guess to stop the people congregating there or brake them up if they do

post-172407-0-20578500-1400939947_thumb.

Edited by willfreeman

The next few days will be crucial. Just widen your perspective further than ThaiVisa, do some reading and switch on the brain cells. Kudos to those who come out and fight for democracy but not too sure that the next week is the time to do it, way too much tension out there.

Have heard a few sirens, and 4 trucks of reinforcements were unloaded at Tapae gate about 8pm.

• Like 1

100 people or so is not many compared to the 10s or it 100s of thousands living in this city.

Seeing this is meant to be red shirt heart land it's quite encouraging that the numbers are so small and easily dealt with.

How reds carry on we're supposed to think that there was a mass uprising going to occurs in case of a coup. Thankfully no such thing is happening and by the numbers it looks like they hardly have any serious support now actually.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My Thai wife says the Sunday walking street market will not open tomorrow.Many Thai people make their money after 10 pm,food sellers,tuk tuks and many other people.There is going to come a time when they will revolt against this military take over and start making problems.We know the political situation cannot be resolved so what is next? We were in a large Big C yesterday and it was so empty.The staff were just sitting around with nothing to do. I do feel this is only the tip of the iceberg and there are going to be more problems in the future.It seems one side hates the other side and if that is fueled up we know what will happen.This is a super country and I for one want to live here until they burn me at the local Wat !

• Like 2

Just got this email:

Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2014 5:01 PM
To: [redacted]
Subject: Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Confrontations in Chiang Mai City Center

There are protests occurring in the center of Chiang Mai near Chang Puak gate on the north side of the moat, with the potential to expand to other areas near the moat, including Tha Pae Gate (east side). Protesters are confronting Thai police and military forces in those locations. You should avoid walking or driving in areas near the moat. Please see the updated Travel Alert from May 24, on the U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai website http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service.html.

Edited by mesquite

Good also to see that the military and police are well organized and working effectively TOGETHER.

The biggest and most serious risk I could see was that armed different government agencies/ unit in various "red" supporting provinces stated fighting each other. Thankfully that hasn't happened.

The leader of the coup has disbanded the Senate. I am told that is a very big deal.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728866-thai-coup-leader-disbands-senate-assumes-law-making-power/?p=7877789

AND

RT@tulsathit: Social media circulating what's said to be pic of Thaksin's son Panthongtae being detained by troops. via @ktnews

RT@Lerlaforever My Goodness even this guy got caught. pic.twitter.com/NTHGV9XrtB

xBoaDpvfIcAEh9W9.jpg.pagespeed.ic.18KQym

Classic; smiling people taking pictures with the smiling soldiers in middle of a coup. Only in Thailand?

I remember the same last time. And this time now too. Thais giving flowers and food to support their armies forces.

I imagine a good few of the "protesters" might be night market people complaining at the curfew loosing them business rather than actual political protesters.

Either way; numbers are low.

I expect if nothing serious kicks off over the weekend then the curfew will be lifted some time next week.

• Like 1

The police were in loi kroh 10 minutes ago. Every bar shut down. Its not 11pm

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

.because the curfew is 22:00 to 05:00. ............ or do you really believe rumours spread on Thaivisa? coffee1.gif

.because the curfew is 22:00 to 05:00. ............ or do you really believe rumours spread on Thaivisa? coffee1.gif

It's good to see someone with real information. I thought that maybe in view of the troubles at Chang Puak and Thapae gate then maybe they decided that 10pm was better. But then again, I don't have inside information, as you obviously do.

It's good to see someone with real information. I thought that maybe in view of the troubles at Chang Puak and Thapae gate then maybe they decided that 10pm was better. But then again, I don't have inside information, as you obviously do.

If you call reading official announcements in TV, or getting the Mrs to translate them from the telly, "inside information", then so be it...... but it still was never 23:00!

If you call reading official announcements in TV, or getting the Mrs to translate them from the telly, "inside information", then so be it...... but it still was never 23:00!

I just wanted you to know that its not 23.00, but still 22.00..

The announcement in Thai posted here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728318-military-coup-chiang-mai/page-7#entry7876367

States May 23rd & 24th is 23:00 till 4:00

Also states on May 25 thru 28 the curfew is 24:00 till 4:00

For the provinces listed in the announcement

Was that announcement false?

Edited by mania

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/728318-military-coup-chiang-mai/page-7#entry7876367

To be honest im not really sure whats right.. my thai friends (and TV) said the curfew starts 23.00 today, but the police came 22.00 and said that everyone had to go home..

But I guess it was a fake and they did not change from 22 to 23

Edited by marsipan
  • Like 1

To be honest im not really sure whats right.. my thai friends (and TV) said the curfew starts 23.00 today, but the police came 22.00 and said that everyone had to go home..

Still plenty of people around the night bazaar. Stalls still packing up. Plenty of Thais there seem to think it was 11 pm. Who knows for sure? As always, rules are open to interpretation. I doubt if the army are that bothered about a few stragglers.

So, current situation: Not much of an enforcement of a curfew yesterday. Was actually a very fun night out; seemed more people out than usual in the bars, or at least more at an earlier hour. (Trying to make the most of it I guess). Either way I was there until around midnight. Some bars put shutters down but carried on as usual inside. One of the better nights so far this year for me actually.

So you are advocating breaking the curfew ?

I'm saying I had a fun night out yesterday, and that it went on well past 10 pm, and .. ah heck, it's all right there in that very paragraph you already quoted. ;)

• Like 1

Sone ones having a karaoke party round my way; bloody racket and can't sing at all. Not sure it's with a live band or just a noisey machine but it's times like this I wish the curfew was permanent and strictly enforced!

Joking about the curfew.

But not about the karaoke.

I think it means that the curfew is whatever the police say it is when they show up at your door. It would be nice to know in advance, but I think there will be some winging it for a while.