Cash sent through post, seized by Thai customs

PDavies

I don't know if the situation is the same but here is what happened to us, several years ago my office in the UK sent me a new mobile phone (not a lap top but a phone is similar) via a courier. It was stopped by customs and I was told that the only way that I could take delivery of it was to apply for an import licence.

My wife and I (she is Thai) went of to the courier's office and they pointed us in the right direction, which government offices to go to etc. In my memory it seems like we filled out reams of paperwork and spent about two days on this project. Finally my wife was issued with a customs ID card and we had an import licence, off we went to collect the phone.

Only problem remaining............ where to go and get the damn thing unlocked!!!!!!!

Sorry I have no experience of receiving cash, so cannot help on that one.

DHL is the courier.

Not sure but DHL may like FedEx have a 40,000 baht limit on the value of a item for which they can act as customs agent. So if the laptop was valued at more than about 750 Pounds including shipping then....

If you know where the customs are holding the item and have sufficient documentation to prove ownership the main customs office is at the port on the corner of Kasem Rat and At Narong.

If you need customs help these guys do it for us http://www.ioniclogistics.com/customs.asp

You will probably have to do this

....It was stopped by customs and I was told that the only way that I could take delivery of it was to apply for an import licence.

My wife and I (she is Thai) went of to the courier's office and they pointed us in the right direction, which government offices to go to etc. In my memory it seems like we filled out reams of paperwork and spent about two days on this project. Finally my wife was issued with a customs ID card and we had an import licence, off we went to collect the phone.....

Based on 40,000 Please don't be surprised if the duty on the laptop is around 15,000 baht, could be less though depends on the value they attach to it. What happens to the imported cash is another story. That you wish to reclaim it does indicate you had prior knowledge and that might make you an accessory! If it turns out to be illegal to do so.

Edited by VocalNeal

Besrolleyes.gif t advice is stay home,with common sence like yours you wouldn't get out of airport carport,with your shirt on.

I agree but my girl friend needed the lap-top to keep in touch with me,and the money is for her parents who's buffalo has died.

• Like 1

From previous experience it appears the couriers and Thai customs work hand in hand. I had a hearing aid sent from the UK from an audiologist using his usual courier, it may have been Emery. On arrival the package was immediately intercepted by customs and an email from the courier said it was classified as medical equipment so they couldn't import it and that I had to. Their Bangkok office sent me a complicated form wanting to know my business name and registration number along with my US IRS details to get customs to release it and for me to pay fees! I also had a letter from customs saying it was ready for collection?! To cut a long story short after numerous emails I had it 'eventually' returned to the sender in England who was charged £50 by the courier for the privilege, having paid £35 to send it! A friend of mine brought it over in his pocket. The courier was both obstructive and unhelpful, claiming that it was difficult to deal with customs! I don't need to say what the courier wanted.

The audiologist told me he sends things world-wide and had never had a problem before. Furthermore it was the last business that courier would get from him and the last time he would send anything to Thailand.

As far as this OP is concerned it was not a surprise to see that the family buffalo had died!!

Edited by Anon999

21 st century allows banks to transfer funds within hours why use a mule to deliver cash !

Sending cash from one account to the other requires you have an account on each end. Not always that easy. I've mailed cash across borders. I've Fed-Exed cash across borders. I've carried cash across borders.

It's a business risk, not a moral dilemma.

Does anybody remember before EBay and Paypal when you'd order something from a mail order catalog and send them $8.24 by post office?

The coins would even jingle, but lo and behold- a few weeks later, you'd get an item worth $7.99 plus shipping. Never failed.

Don't panic, not a HUGE ISSUE here.

I usually just Contact Thai Customs, there will be a Case # on the letter or slip they have sent you ( or DHL has passed onto you ) and Claim it ALL..

You have no control over what people send to you , or how they declare it or choose to play games...

Forget what DHL's rules are , the Cash is here now, deal with Customs, and either they turn it over to you or not.. See what they have to say.

What I did last time Customs became belligerent over a package with about 7 Kilos of Silver Chains from Italy, which they said was undervalued and wanted more for Taxes than the Cost of the Chains, was to tell them and DHL to have the Package RETURNED TO SENDER...

At that point, they just handed over the package, taxes were fairly paid on the declared value, and Customs issued a letter that they could revisit the situation in the next 3 months. Never heard from them again.

You will be dealing with Individuals, not a bureaucracy, so be nice and stay calm.. You want what your dummy friend sent to you in the DHL...

I suggest that you have a courier , if ship items often , with a person on staff who is aware of incoming packages and allows you to see the paperwork before submitting it to customs.. UPS does this for me, for ages now, and we have a good relationship.. Just when we use Fedex, does life become frustrating, they seem to be in total control until everything turns to C**P and then they get me to fix it..

• Like 1

Why would anyone in their right mind send cash in the post? Why didn't they simply transfer via western union or bank/internet transfer? You can try to get your money back, but like someone has already suggested, your answer will be what money? Maybe this will be lesson learned.

• Like 1

Yes, was aware of prohibited items and sent regardless. We used a courier instead of post to prevent anybody stealing it. Obviously cannot declare as cash or laptop as more likely to be stolen. Customs has already confirmed exact amount and it matches what we sent.

At least they were honest smile.png . Ccwash aside, nothing to prevent you declaring the laptop as you could have had it covered for the full amount so the theft angle is hard to buy. Are we not talking about trying to evade import duties instead ? This is really up to the customs dept, as you obviously have made a totally false declaration as to the nature of the goods you can count yourself lucky if you do emerge with a fine and the goods.

-------------------

Once at least 20 years ago (closer to 30, I guess) I actually went through Thai customs and declared in the Red line 20 kilos of Prime Rib Beef packed in two waxed paper wrapped containers.

Amazingly the Thai customs let it in.

Don't think they would do that today, it was a simpler world back then.

The story is ... I was living in a Guesthouse then and the owner promised me a Prime Rib dinner for two with all the fixings if I brought him the Prime Rib from Singapore because he couldn't get good Prime Rib like that in Thailand at that time.

I was younger, and stupider then, so I gave it a try.

I still can recall them laughing about the crazy farang and his 20 kilos of meat coming through customs.

Was that for the Sri Guest House is Soi 38?

Hate say it but DHL ARE CROOKS and lucky it even got customs before it was taken. Delivery guy extorted money from my MIL for the remaining photographs minus some cash we had tucked inside for her.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app