International alarm mounts over Thai coup

webfact

You make a flat out statement then completely disown and disavow it.

I did neither.

You did both.

Flat out statement:

Zooheekock, on 30 May 2014 - 13:02, said:snapback.png

Two the PDRC's main backers now have very central roles in the junta.

Disown and disavow it:

Zooheekock, Posted Today, 18:35

it's just fking stupid to expect people to incriminate themselves in public

If you don't want to answer directly, don't.

Just, next time, spare us your flat out statements, unless you're going to get Marshall to post for you. If not, spare us your ring around the posy nonsense.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clearly you don't like the choice the Thai people made in the 2011 election. Tough, democracy only works if the people who lose an election accept that they lost and try to make themselves more appealing in the next election. Someone should explain that to Suthep and the Democrats, it's not a democracy if there are no elections.

Look if you want to pretend Thaksin isn't corrupt or the rice scheme wasn't riddled with corruption, or see the amnesty bill farce for what it was then you just aren't worth talking too. Did you just arrive recently or are you sitting in a dimly lit boiler room somewhere?

Transparency International, Jezuz!

I feel so sorry for all you fellows so focused on Thaksin. Do you honestly believe he is the root of all problems in Thailand, that all corruption emanates from his mysterious desert lair? This is called projection by psychiatrists. You cannot justify in your own mind your support for violence and coups and so you strap on your blinders and repeat, over and over "Its Thaksin's fault". The Cambodians do that to when they say "Pol Pot killed my family" when actually it was a guy living down the street. Its a coping mechanism. At some point to get well you will have to admit there are other sources of problems in Thailand, and if Thaksin disappeared tomorrow, they would remain. The road to recovery begins with the first step.

By the way; by any objective measure Thaksin was the most effective and loved PM in the history of Thailand.

Thaksin's opponents may focussed on him but it was the government's obsession with Thaksin that caused all the problems for the PTP

I did neither.

You did both.

Flat out statement:

Disown and disavow it:

Just, next time, spare us your flat out statements, unless you're going to get Marshall to post for you. If not, spare us your ring around the posy nonsense.

Why are you so unwilling simply to do a little reading? If you're interested in finding out about this topic and you haven't already read zenjournalist, then why not do so? You're unlikely to find a more detailed collection of information on recent Thai politics (in English) and whilst you're obviously free to disagree with AMM's interpretations of what it all means, if you're having to ask me questions like this, you obviously have some serious gaps in your knowledge which need to be plugged. Or are you only interested in facts which confirm what you already believe? And if so, what is the point of posting at all?

Edited by Zooheekock

I did neither.

You did both.

Flat out statement:

Disown and disavow it:

Why are you so unwilling simply to do a little reading?

Gotcha.

You're unwilling to complete your posts. We'll wait for Marshall to post for you then. Please ring him up and inform him.

We're done.

coffee1.gif

Clearly you don't like the choice the Thai people made in the 2011 election. Tough, democracy only works if the people who lose an election accept that they lost and try to make themselves more appealing in the next election. Someone should explain that to Suthep and the Democrats, it's not a democracy if there are no elections.

Look if you want to pretend Thaksin isn't corrupt or the rice scheme wasn't riddled with corruption, or see the amnesty bill farce for what it was then you just aren't worth talking too. Did you just arrive recently or are you sitting in a dimly lit boiler room somewhere?

Transparency International, Jezuz!

I feel so sorry for all you fellows so focused on Thaksin. Do you honestly believe he is the root of all problems in Thailand, that all corruption emanates from his mysterious desert lair? This is called projection by psychiatrists. You cannot justify in your own mind your support for violence and coups and so you strap on your blinders and repeat, over and over "Its Thaksin's fault". The Cambodians do that to when they say "Pol Pot killed my family" when actually it was a guy living down the street. Its a coping mechanism. At some point to get well you will have to admit there are other sources of problems in Thailand, and if Thaksin disappeared tomorrow, they would remain. The road to recovery begins with the first step.

By the way; by any objective measure Thaksin was the most effective and loved PM in the history of Thailand.

Thaksin's opponents may focussed on him but it was the government's obsession with Thaksin that caused all the problems for the PTP

Its a lot more about something else thats going to happen... all about power and nothing to do with corruption of one whislt the rest are not... As if the other players arnt just as happy to feather thier own nest...its always been this way here, ridiculous for them to sit there and point a finger whilst sitting on their own pile of re appropriated funds.

You have a bunch of what are a lot of elite both old and next generation that owe their wealth to stealing as much as they could whilst in positions prior to Thaksin during and will again post.

It is amusing to see how easy it is to pull the wool over a lot here. There just isnt such a thing as innocence here not in politics and not in the military.

PS i wonder how much human trafficking will continue now theres no one watching... great time for the boys at sea to pick up on lost revenue.

Who?

Andrew Marshall is a good English-language source for this kind of stuff.

You answer a question not asked and don't answer the question asked.

He should be a politician. smile.png

Initially appointed PM and interim government much as Suthep wanted but then full elections within 1 year after reforms are in place,not quite what Suthep wanted as elections were not an option.

Edited by Thailand

No coup ever made democracy better. Not anywhere, not anytime, not in any way(s). Yet these groundhog (coup) day generals keep trying and are determined to keep trying until they get it right, which will never happen because the coup d'état has never caused democracy to improve, not anywhere, not any time, not in any way(s).

Fahlang who came here to bask in a feudal preserve have shown they will advocate fiercely for it and defend it forcefully. And this coup is different but only because it intends to be forceful in the defense of the ancient regime of the Bangkok ammarts. So all criticisms of the former government are invalid in the many instances when the criticisms advocated a military mutiny coup d'état as the cure, because the cure is worse than the disease.

Yes, this "veto" coup is radically different than all previous "guardian" coups and the world knows it, which is why we see some of the global MSM already going straight to the top in their criticisms. The more you make noises in support of martial law militarism, the greater and the unprecedentedly tougher the global reaction is that you invite against it

No coup ever made democracy better. Not anywhere, not anytime, not in any way(s).

How did Thailand move from absolute monarchy to a (flawed) democratic system?

Then of course, it's the 1974 coup in Portugal that reinstated Democracy in the country, so your premise is wrong.

The 1974 "Carnation Revolution" in Portugal deposed a long time fascist military dictator, Antonio Salazar, which made it the only coup of record in the 20th century to install democracy rather than to destroy it.

I remember it well as my many Portuguese American friends back home rejoiced over it.

The coup was literally a coup, i.e., a swift action. It was conducted by low level Army officers, captains and lieutenants who went over the heads of the military's geriatric high command and deposed them too. Tens of thousands of Portuguese citizens took to the streets to join the junior Army officers in ejecting the fascist militarist government they'd long ago grown to hate.

The only time the 1974 Carnation Revolution in Portugal is referred to as a "coup" it is called "The World's Coolest Coup" by the people of Portugal and by interested others globally.

It's the one single exception that makes the rule that a military mutiny coup d'état is horrible, reprehensible, must be rejected.

Kindly read the facts.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/europe/portugal-honors-april-25-revolution-worlds-coolest-coup-n89666

In short, your categorical "No coup ever made democracy better. Not anywhere, not anytime, not in any way" is not true.

You are wrong.

My statement is true. My statement always was true. My statement remains true.

I'll reiterate my statement with my own emphasis added, that, "No coup ever made democracy better. Not anywhere, not anytime, not in any way(s)."

The 1974 "Carnation Revolution" in Portugal removed a fascist military dictator and installed democracy where democracy had not existed. There had been no democracy in 1974 Portugal. None. Zero. Zilch. Oogats. There was no democracy in 1974 Portugal to make better.

The pretense and pretext in Thailand is that the military coup will make Thai democracy a real democracy, that the coup will make Thai democracy a true democracy, that the coup will improve Thai democracy, will make existing Thai democracy better. No coup ever made democracy better. Not anywhere, not any time, not in any way(s).

My statement was true, is true, continues to be true.

It's like Alice in Wonderland. Before you can have more, you must first have some. In 1974 Portugal, there was no democracy to make better. Before one can have better democracy, one must first have some democracy.

Either you can read and recognize the obvious meanings of the English language or you can't.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/europe/portugal-honors-april-25-revolution-worlds-coolest-coup-n89666

No coup ever made democracy better. Not anywhere, not anytime, not in any way(s).

How did Thailand move from absolute monarchy to a (flawed) democratic system?

Then of course, it's the 1974 coup in Portugal that reinstated Democracy in the country, so your premise is wrong.

The 1974 "Carnation Revolution" in Portugal deposed a long time fascist military dictator, Antonio Salazar, which made it the only coup of record in the 20th century to install democracy rather than to destroy it.

I remember it well as my many Portuguese American friends back home rejoiced over it.

The coup was literally a coup, i.e., a swift action. It was conducted by low level Army officers, captains and lieutenants who went over the heads of the military's geriatric high command and deposed them too. Tens of thousands of Portuguese citizens took to the streets to join the junior Army officers in ejecting the fascist militarist government they'd long ago grown to hate.

The only time the 1974 Carnation Revolution in Portugal is referred to as a "coup" it is called "The World's Coolest Coup" by the people of Portugal and by interested others globally.

It's the one single exception that makes the rule that a military mutiny coup d'état is horrible, reprehensible, must be rejected.

Kindly read the facts.

In short, your categorical "No coup ever made democracy better. Not anywhere, not anytime, not in any way" is not true.

You are wrong.

I'll reiterate my statement with my own emphasis added, that, "No coup ever made democracy better. Not anywhere, not anytime, not in any way(s)."

The 1974 "Carnation Revolution" in Portugal removed a fascist military dictator and installed democracy where democracy had not existed. There had been no democracy in 1974 Portugal. None. Zero. Zilch. Oogats. There was no democracy in 1974 Portugal to make better.

The pretense and pretext in Thailand is that the military coup will make Thai democracy a real democracy, that the coup will make Thai democracy a true democracy, that the coup will improve Thai democracy, will make existing Thai democracy better. No coup ever made democracy better. Not anywhere, not any time, not in any way(s).

It's like Alice in Wonderland. Before you can have more, you must first have some. In 1974 Portugal, there was no democracy to make better. Before one can have better democracy, one must first have some democracy.

Either you can read and recognize the obvious meanings of the English language or you can't.

WOW. I am looking forward to the first time a coup returns democracy then.

I remember the statements just before the first man landed on the moon. "It never happened before so it will never happen"

I remember the statement just before color TV came out."It never happened before so it will never happen"

I remember the statement just before my ex wife in Australia went with another man."It never happened before so it will never happen"

Don't judge the future on history.

The General has so far paid rice farmers and stopped the deaths of all protestors and the injuries of further protestors.

Be patient. Don;t be frustrated that the regime is no more.

Take solace in the fact that no one is dead, no one is injured and that there is a future reds and yellows can embrace where democracy will prevail.

Don't fight, don't get angry, don't kill, don't denounce…

Wait. I waited for the PTP to see how they would do…Not good. Didn't work.

Now give the junta (Democracy restoration team) the same respect I gave the PTP.

Can you?

Gen P live on TV has just said a new government by 1st October 2014 but no mention of elections?

Initially appointed PM and interim government much as Suthep wanted but then full elections within 1 year after reforms are in place,not quite what Suthep wanted as elections were not an option.

Bangkok Post is reporting a different version of what General Prayuth stated in his address.

Edited by Luger2

You are wrong.

Wow, nice little tantrum.

If you are such a stickler for the Democracy-Coup-Better Democracy narrative then go read on the 1960s coup in Turkey.

Now back to the topic...

• Like 1

So this forum is still just an echo-chamber for piss-yellow <deleted> to tug each other off in public. Lovely. Whatever floats your boat but it's not my cup of tea so I shall leave you to it. Enjoy.

Actually the echo-chamber idiots are why I'm here. When I worked as a system test engineer my job required pissing off people with facts and analysis they wished weren't true. Of course then I had to work at it, since the people I was pissing off were pretty smart. Here in this fact free zone some referenced information and simple logic puts people into an uproar. It's an amusing way to pass the time.

• Like 2

rubl you consistently and persistently ask indiscrete questions and require politically sensitive answers during a highly volatile time.

Someone has to point this out to you so you can know what so many others over on this side well know.

So I speak to you as if I were someone's Dutch uncle to advise you, to request of you, to use your better judgement, to think twice before demanding of myself, as you have done, or of others, as you also do do, that they name names.

The constitution is vacated by the ruling military council. There are no standing laws in Thailand. The few and only laws that exist are ad hoc laws spun out arbitrarily and summarily by the ruling military council of absolute rulers. You know this. Now kindly connect the dots, thx.

Cheers. wai.gif

The Lese Majeste laws are in effect.

The others are on hold until reform and in turn democracy can be restored.

The PTP have been very naughty…It is time for their parents to give them a good spanking and change the rules to ensure they don't disrespect democracy again.

The PTP doesn't respect democracy? What about Suthep's thugs who disrupted an election, the anti-Democrats who didn't want elections, and the military that staged a coup? To use rabas' words--logic weeps!

I'm sure the knee-jerk response is to claim the elections were corrupt, so I'll jump one step ahead of you--show evidence that the 2011 election, which was monitored and declared legitimate, was not legitimate.

Edited by heybruce

Actually the echo-chamber idiots are why I'm here. When I worked as a system test engineer my job required pissing off people with facts and analysis they wished weren't true. Of course then I had to work at it, since the people I was pissing off were pretty smart. Here in this fact free zone some referenced information and simple logic puts people into an uproar. It's an amusing way to pass the time.

Your life is about pissing people off?

Thats a great achievement. :-(

• Like 2

rubl you consistently and persistently ask indiscrete questions and require politically sensitive answers during a highly volatile time.

Someone has to point this out to you so you can know what so many others over on this side well know.

So I speak to you as if I were someone's Dutch uncle to advise you, to request of you, to use your better judgement, to think twice before demanding of myself, as you have done, or of others, as you also do do, that they name names.

The constitution is vacated by the ruling military council. There are no standing laws in Thailand. The few and only laws that exist are ad hoc laws spun out arbitrarily and summarily by the ruling military council of absolute rulers. You know this. Now kindly connect the dots, thx.

Cheers. wai.gif

The PTP have been very naughty…It is time for their parents to give them a good spanking and change the rules to ensure they don't disrespect democracy again.

The PTP doesn't respect democracy? What about Suthep's thugs who disrupted an election, the anti-Democrats who didn't want elections, and the military that staged a coup? To use your own words--logic weeps!

I'm sure the knee-jerk response is to claim the elections were corrupt, so I'll jump one step ahead of you--show evidence that the 2011 election, which was monitored and declared legitimate, was not legitimate.

Democracy and PTP are not compatible.

It's an oxy

• Like 1

Your life is about pissing people off?

Thats a great achievement. :-(

I only piss off the arrogant fools, and it may have some beneficial side effects. There's a chance some people will consider a view based on analysis of information from reputable sources.

Cheers. wai.gif

The PTP doesn't respect democracy? What about Suthep's thugs who disrupted an election, the anti-Democrats who didn't want elections, and the military that staged a coup? To use your own words--logic weeps!

Democracy and PTP are not compatible.

It's an oxy

Make an absurd statement that is in complete contradiction to events then make no attempt to defend it. I call that the "throw a turd and run away" argument. It will impress the other children but not any intelligent adults.

• Like 1

You are wrong.

If you are such a stickler for the Democracy-Coup-Better Democracy narrative then go read on the 1960s coup in Turkey.

Now back to the topic...

Your introducing the 1974 Carnation Revolution in Portugal was a bust from the beginning so now you've been honed in on yet another coup d'état, this time some vague event that supposedly occurred in 1960s Turkey.

No offense intended to the countries, but all of this comes down to a turkey making posts on a wild goose run that has come to its end on a rather short lived trail. I hope turkeys can swim.

Your use of the word tantrum is incongruous with my plain and factual presentation in the post above. And if you think or believe someone you can access is a historian you'd need to think again.

Thank you for handing your sword over to me and, yes, now back to the topic you rather ungraciously disrupted.

So as I'd been saying, no coup ever made democracy better. Not anywhere, not anytime, not in any way(s).

Edited by Publicus

Now back to the topic...

Your introducing the 1974 Carnation Revolution in Portugal was a bust from the beginning so now you've been honed in on yet another coup d'état, this time some vague event that supposedly occurred in 1960s Turkey.

No offense intended to the countries, but all of this comes down to a turkey making posts on a wild goose run that has come to its end on a rather short lived trail. I hope turkeys can swim.

Your use of the word tantrum is incongruous with my plain and factual presentation in the post above. And if you think or believe someone you can access is a historian you'd need to think again.

Thank you for handing your sword over to me and, yes, now back to the topic you rather ungraciously disrupted.

Why don't you wait and see what the coup does to Democracy here in Thailand? Your arguments are based in demagogery (and strenous straw-clutching), nothing good will come out of it because you say so, not very convincing.

Neither are the insults or the unbecoming self congratulation.

• Like 1

'reputable sources'

Thaksin and the PTP propaganda machine are hardly considered 'reputable sources', let alone 'reputable'.

I've never referenced Thaksin or the PTP, I've referenced reputable new sources, primarily the Economist, and occasionally a World Bank report. Try to stay on subject and at least in the general vicinity of the facts.

Thailand is called the Kingdom of Thailand and is a Constitutional monarchy, not a democracy. So the coup cannot make democracy worse, there is no democracy to make worse.

All the recent constitutions say you don't know what you're talking about.

But the fact in general is familiar to a good number of us around here.

Thailand is a constitutional monarchy which includes principles and practices of democracy.

The UK is a constitutional monarchy. A constitutional monarchy that includes democratic principles, procedures, practices.

Same same in form, if very different different in content and substance.

Thailand practices representative democracy based on the one person one vote principle. True, that's history now, or at least since a week ago Thursday. As for yourself, you are simply all tangled up in formal titles and descriptive terms.

Which brings us back to where we started - you don't know what you're talking about..

• Like 1

The Economist is nothing but an opinion rag with anonymous writers, by their own definition.

The Economist is a serious and globally well respected journal and has been such for more than 150 years.

You're pissing into the wind.

This tactic of you guys to declare invalid anything you don't like regardless of facts or reality is a self-defeating approach. Yet you just continue to do it, repeatedly.

Groundhog day.

• Like 2