Thai coup leader disbands Senate, assumes law-making power

george

Hmmm. Not many on here defending the coup now are there?

I don't understand why the general has taken over the senate but I trust he is doing what has to be done for the good of the country and the people.

Well when he left them in I instantly dismissed it as another move in the yellow direction since we all know the senate is yellow so now he gets a bit more credit from me althoug I dont agree with the coup but now he has removed the remaining yellows i am happy. Kinda

It's known he likes army-green.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Comparing the situation here now to Egypt, Russia (Putin), Myamar, etc. is not reasonable. Let us see what exactly emerges from this coup and when, and make comparisons at that point. Before the coup Thailand's politics, and maybe the country as a result, was in uncontrolled death spiral. Did anyone see things getting better as they were? Sometimes a swift kick to the ars is needed, and that is what some people, political parties, and overly influential families have again received. As for myself I will give due course and due diligence time to happen, and then make judgement and comparison.

• Like 1

When was the election due before Suthep started his carry on? Next year? The families and businesses backing Abhisit have plenty of money (far more than Thaksin), and had all the time in the world to spend some of it mounting a proper election campaign. They had a good chance of winning too, with Yinglucks dysfunctional administration on the ropes over the rice scheme, the car scheme, and all the other gimmicky stuff coming badly unstuck right before the scheduled election.

Did they take the chance being offered them? No, they bottled it. So now Thailand is back to square one, when it could have been on its way to being a proper repeating democracy. Quite how the country will move on from here is anyone's guess. But for those who think that a military dictatorship is a step in the right direction - it's been tried before. Not once, but lots of times. And every single time it's ended in tears. They say that the definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over expecting a different result. By that measure, the country and half the posters on these boards are not right in the head.

It needn't have been this way at all if certain people had just done their bloody duty. And that's what's so saddening.

• Like 1

"corruption is not a problem as long as it is done quietly behind closed doors ohmy.png"

That is only part of the corruption in Thailand, it existed before Thaksin ever arrived. As one yellow leader put it.... it was not corruption it was that he published his price list and made it obvious - corruption is not a problem as long as it is done quietly behind closed doors ohmy.png

Wrong. there is the direct cost - %age of the take - then there is the fact that many projects don't get done because the 20 / 30 / 35% can't be factored in, e.g. doing business with a foreign co that abides by FCPA. More likely to be a higher quality project.

Then there is the fact that there is little comeback against the corrupt contractor for shitty construction, as he can blow the whistle on the public servant on the take. Look at the q of some of the major public infrastructure projects - you can tell how far away the contractor came from.

• Like 1

Suthep was heard screaming 'It should be me, IT SHOULD BE ME!"

If I understand correctly there was a warrant for his arrest

Is he now under arrest?

I didn't think he'd been released after the coup was announced.

Well it least he is beginning to look at paying the farmers. This is a priority that should give him some kudos. The General needs to be seen neutral in this approach. By abolishing the senate and the constitution he can act in a way that can't have much come back on him.

And just where exactly will the Army get the cash to pay the farmers? If the elected government couldn't scrape the cash together, what makes you think that the Army will be able to?

They will be able to borrow it in the same way the government could have done before they dissolved parliament but forgot.

• Like 1

This coup has few similarities to "last time."

What happened to the Senate after the 2006 coup?

After the 2006 coup the Senate got changed from fully elected to half appointed. But even having it half packed with their pals, the Generals couldn't control Thailand. That's why they and Suthep are having another go in 2014. In the next constitution I'd guess there'll be a fully appointed Senate with veto powers over the lower house. And the lower house will be only partly elected, and those citizens who get to vote will have to prove they have a certain income and educational level. That's what they did in Rhodesia and in 19th century Britain, and for a while it was quite effective in keeping the working class under control.

• Like 1

When was the election due before Suthep started his carry on? Next year? The families and businesses backing Abhisit have plenty of money (far more than Thaksin), and had all the time in the world to spend some of it mounting a proper election campaign. They had a good chance of winning too, with Yinglucks dysfunctional administration on the ropes over the rice scheme, the car scheme, and all the other gimmicky stuff coming badly unstuck right before the scheduled election.

Did they take the chance being offered them? No, they bottled it. So now Thailand is back to square one, when it could have been on its way to being a proper repeating democracy. Quite how the country will move on from here is anyone's guess. But for those who think that a military dictatorship is a step in the right direction - it's been tried before. Not once, but lots of times. And every single time it's ended in tears. They say that the definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over expecting a different result. By that measure, the country and half the posters on these boards are not right in the head.

It needn't have been this way at all if certain people had just done their bloody duty. And that's what's so saddening.

But isn't that the point, that those families backing the "Democrats" find it appalling that they have to win an election before they can maintain their God-given rightful power over everything and everyone in Thailand? I have no other explanation for their behavior.

• Like 1

Well it least he is beginning to look at paying the farmers. This is a priority that should give him some kudos. The General needs to be seen neutral in this approach. By abolishing the senate and the constitution he can act in a way that can't have much come back on him.

And just where exactly will the Army get the cash to pay the farmers? If the elected government couldn't scrape the cash together, what makes you think that the Army will be able to?

They will be able to borrow it in the same way the government could have done before they dissolved parliament but forgot.

Common sense is not that common amongst PTP supporters.

Even when the army honor the debt the farmers have inherited from the PTP due to PTP incompetence the PTP supporters will still demonize the army even though it is against martial law.

Ready to see it? Watch this space…..

I hope they don't as I love TVF and the privileges it allows us.

Edited by djjamie

Wow...... things are really moving apace compared to the last coup and today two questions are being asked up here in CM by foreigners and Thais alike.

The first is whether General Prayuth is really 'Captain Thailand' and the nations savior or just another fruit salad covered despot.

The second cannot be discussed on this forum.

I second your second regarding the second.

• Like 1

This is a very strange move (coup) as Thailand relies on the rest of the world for trade, tourism, loans etc. yet this will destroy this FAST.

Unless they figure this is the fastest way to learn English is to beat Thailand back to the caveman days before third-world-nation status, give them all clubs and start from scratch? This way the Army can set up schools in caves and teach them that it is Not "aig" it is "ugh" and go from there?

I do feel Thailand was/is in need of change but the biggest problem is Police corruption and this will just NEVER end!

If a countries population is 80% rural farmers and there is an election then it just stands that 80% of the votes will go to the candidate they like right? If the rest of the voters (Elite) don't like it then they should move to another country as they are the "Elite' and can obviously ALL speak English well so..........

The best that could happen would be for a new constitution and legislation to be made, passed via his Majesty and then have an election but still have the army taking the place of; Any police found guilty of corruption in ANY way should be given a life sentence and all his/her family assets seized.

The problem is that no matter what color gets in, the opposition will always protest against them. These protesters must also be found guilty or treason.

This coup has few similarities to "last time."

What happened to the Senate after the 2006 coup?

After the 2006 coup the Senate got changed from fully elected to half appointed. But even having it half packed with their pals, the Generals couldn't control Thailand. That's why they and Suthep are having another go in 2014. In the next constitution I'd guess there'll be a fully appointed Senate with veto powers over the lower house. And the lower house will be only partly elected, and those citizens who get to vote will have to prove they have a certain income and educational level. That's what they did in Rhodesia and in 19th century Britain, and for a while it was quite effective in keeping the working class under control.

That's exactly what I think will happen. They brought it up last time (60 % of the parliament seats were supposed to be appointed). So the yellow clad "Herrenmenschen" will give something to the "Untermenschen" to play with. "Here you are, have your funny little elections and haggle out who can sit in the remaining parliament seats. Now go and play somewhere else."

Wow 2 years? That's a long time. He will surely put in place a non partisan government for the interim period.

Like to take bet on it. Long time in the planning. Each step is well mapped out. All top positions are taken by military, remind you of anywhere?

All positions taken by military is better than all positions taken by corrupt family!!

The difference is that the corrupt family could have been voted out if enough people had wanted it! The Dems have a lot to answer for

It's not the ones who were voted in that were the real problem as they had a democratic right to their position. It was the undemocratic actions of someone not voted in that caused the problems. I don't know how many Dems or PTP wanted a coup but I'm pretty certain Abhisit didn't.

• Like 1

This can be very good or very bad. If he choose to use his absolute power for the betterment of Thailand, then it's a good thing. If it's only to preserve the old elite and family, then it will fail. Something needs to be done on Thailand, and the country needs HONEST men to rule with an iron fist for a few years, uprooting corruption and feudal warlords. Is this the time? Has finally the moment for REAL reforms arrived? I hope so. The general has the chance to become a real hero, and maybe the father of a modern and progressive Thailand. Will it happen? I pray it will. It didn't happen in the other 18 coups, but I hope this will be different.

All that said, i hope the criminals in the police force are weeded out first. They are truly a joke.

• Like 1

What option has this General got. if he goes this way or that way, he is going to have people that will not agree, BUT as I say what option has he got after the last 8 years we have all had here in Thailand. Reds don't want,,, Yellow don't want,,,, Lets see how it goes with him, doing what he is doing, I do hope it is for the right reason for the Thai people as well as us all. Only time will tell BUT we need to give it time to know if for all or not. When someone is put in a corner they have to fight hard to get out and I see that is what he is having to do.

Genearal P is a manager by exception. When he saw that his 'company' was going the wrong way, he had to intervene.

Take this in a relative way please.

You may be right BUT let's give it time to judge. I hope it is his country and not his company as you say.

Why is everyone talking about the past. Lets see what the future will bring,,, we all know about the past and hopefully it will not be repeated, lets move on... If we don't then this problem we all have will be with us until we do... Learn from the past BUT move on,,,

This can be very good or very bad. If he choose to use his absolute power for the betterment of Thailand, then it's a good thing. If it's only to preserve the old elite and family, then it will fail. Something needs to be done on Thailand, and the country needs HONEST men to rule with an iron fist for a few years, uprooting corruption and feudal warlords. Is this the time? Has finally the moment for REAL reforms arrived? I hope so. The general has the chance to become a real hero, and maybe the father of a modern and progressive Thailand. Will it happen? I pray it will. It didn't happen in the other 18 coups, but I hope this will be different.

All that said, i hope the criminals in the police force are weeded out first. They are truly a joke.

Preserving the power for the small elite is how it is done in the whole of Asia. The problem with Thailand is that there is an old elite and the nouveau rich, also called the Shinawatra clan, and that they can't look each other in the eyes.

Edited by JesseFrank

Link to scan of order signed by the new police chief, Vatcharapol, transferring the following policemen to inactive posts as of 9.00 am Saturday 24 May:

Kamonrit - Metropolitan Police Chief

Naret - Commander of Police Region 1

Kawee - Commander of Police Region 2

Anuchai - Commander of Police Region 4

Suthep - Commander of Police Region 5

Hanaphol - Commander of Police Region 7

Phanu - Commander of Immigration

Saritchai - Commander of Special Branch

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ThaiCoup?src=hash

Guess the performance of the commanders of Police Regions 3 and 6 was satisfactory!

• Like 2

And, I thought "Games of Thrones" was worth watching. This is much better!

If only you realised, how close your statement is to the truth......

Another poster hinted and provided a link to The Economist. Check it.

Or you could read in "the other English BKK newspaper": "Thaksin's real war" by Voranai. (in the opinion section).

What happens now / in the past 6 months has NOTHING to do with corruption, democracy, reform.

Red and Yellow sympathisers are both being lied to.

Game of Throne, indeed.

Precisely, several times in the last 3 months I have tried hinting. A few saw a link to a link I posted, which was removed. When all becomes clear, the Suthep followers are probably going to feel a bit foolish, the pro government supporters will be dismayed. If members know someone connected to the PDRC demonstrations, it is not hard to find out the real reason for all of this crap.

I have no idea what link your talking about…

I hope you can accept the military rule as a good thing because it will restore the 15 principles of democracy the PTP thieved the Thai people of since 2011.

The below are the ones that need to be educated. I truly respect them, but they need to understand that democracy only flourishes under an educated populous. They don;t understand that yet. That is why reform is needed.

I love them. I respect them. I am married to one of them. I taught her democracy and she appreciates it. She learnt that the PTP are 1 principle supporters now. I want the red shirts to be educated, but alas the UDD would prefer to put a gun in their hands and send them onto a dictatorial battlefield. That is a Maoist theory the UDD leadership have learnt and will pass onto the gullible. I pity them.

I hope Thailand restores democracy as you do…But please don't forget there is more than one principle to democracy.

post-140765-0-29034100-1400954410_thumb.

The disbanding of the Senate has obviously come as a surprise to many.

A possible reason being that a majority of the Senate would not fall in to line with the Juntas vision for the country.

Easier to get rid of the lot of them!

Since starting this Putsch the Army have been very keen to muzzle all dissenting voices.

As the days go by increasing numbers of organisations and individuals are being brought in for questioning.

We are seeing threats made to tv, radio, press and social media not to broadcast anything critical and to specifically not give airtime to any political discussion by intellectuals or academics.

I find it particularly hypocritical that many posting here were claiming that the ousted government were limiting free speech but now bizarrely fully support the Juntas complete suppression of it.

Dark days indeed.

Under the PTP the suppression of freedom of speech was to ensure a regime extended their dictatorial powers and allowed the regime to manipulate the gullible populous.

Under the DRT (Democracy Restoration Team) the suppression is to ensure the guys above don't attack, kill and maim anyone and looking at the weapons finds, the cache finds and the red shirt militia arrests I thank god for the military.

Remember it is illegal to disrespect the military and as I respect all TVF members, please be careful when replying. For you sake as well as TVF's sake.

• Like 1

And, I thought "Games of Thrones" was worth watching. This is much better!

If only you realised, how close your statement is to the truth......

Another poster hinted and provided a link to The Economist. Check it.

Or you could read in "the other English BKK newspaper": "Thaksin's real war" by Voranai. (in the opinion section).

What happens now / in the past 6 months has NOTHING to do with corruption, democracy, reform.

Red and Yellow sympathisers are both being lied to.

Game of Throne, indeed.

Precisely, several times in the last 3 months I have tried hinting. A few saw a link to a link I posted, which was removed. When all becomes clear, the Suthep followers are probably going to feel a bit foolish, the pro government supporters will be dismayed. If members know someone connected to the PDRC demonstrations, it is not hard to find out the real reason for all of this crap.

I hope you can accept the military rule as a good thing because it will restore the 15 principles of democracy the PTP thieved the Thai people of since 2011.

The below are the ones that need to be educated. I truly respect them, but they need to understand that democracy only flourishes under an educated populous. They don;t understand that yet. That is why reform is needed.

I love them. I respect them. I am married to one of them. I taught her democracy and she appreciates it. She learnt that the PTP are 1 principle supporters now. I want the red shirts to be educated, but alas the UDD would prefer to put a gun in their hands and send them onto a dictatorial battlefield. That is a Maoist theory the UDD leadership have learnt and will pass onto the gullible. I pity them.

I hope Thailand restores democracy as you do…But please don't forget there is more than one principle to democracy.

Are you able to define (or at least provide a link to) these 15 principles of democracy, and demonstrate how a military coup doesn't contradict any of them? I'm not saying the PTP didn't take advantage of or break any of them (since i don't know what they are yet), but your evangelism can only be justified if your own side hasn't fouled any of them itself.

• Like 1

I like this so much I had to post it.

Thaksin's son oak with a few mates about to jet off somewhere, upload this selfie on their f/book or twitter....

10300762_858743244141920_405898391652739

15 minutes later

xBoaDpvfIcAEh9W9.jpg.pagespeed.ic.b6YHw9

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

heheh not to smart guys...running by private plane....brainless.... Well, done!

Maybe Saffron robes might have helped in their escape.

post-140765-0-90547500-1400956336_thumb.

Edited by djjamie

Are you able to define (or at least provide a link to) these 15 principles of democracy, and demonstrate how a military coup doesn't contradict any of them? I'm not saying the PTP didn't take advantage of or break any of them (since i don't know what they are yet), but your evangelism can only be justified if your own side hasn't fouled any of them itself.

I asked the initial question 6 months and 3 days ago.

You tell me?

The UDD and PTP defend the democratic principles (well one anyway) so ask them.

Or as a comprimes tell me what principles you respect?

This general leads Thailand to poverty and miseria. Stupid generals are not able to run a country. Soon Thailand will arrive on the level of Myanmar, where the generals prooved what I say.

I rather see this as a way of trying to clean up the poverty and misery the previously elected government made!

Some of the rice farmers have even taken their lives because of the poverty and misery the last elected government brought to them! To much money have been spent without funding, accountability and with poor governance by the PTP government but sadly many people inside and outside of Thailand don't see or understand this!

The YL government introduced minimum wages and other measures that should take the people away from poverty and raise the living standard, instead it did leave the people with less money in their pockets, food and other living expenses getting more and more expensive and so on. The only people that did gain where those that could get more money in their pockets. For example YL how much did her bank accounts rise in value during her time as PM, was ít 1,10,20, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400 or 500 millions? With a salary of about 100 000 baht a month that is some serious work to manage to save so much money...

And should not a PM or president stay in his/her country so that they have time to WORK, YL visited 40 countries during about 60 trips in 38!

Could you really stand up and say that YL did a govern this country in a good way? I can't!

• Like 1

And our big boss daddy is still su su with the military.

A government in exile will be lead by the convicted criminal ownself-exile.

Finally they can openly admitted together. I feel happy for them.

I wonder which countries actually supported in this?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-24/former-thailand-pm-to-establish-government-in-exile-lawyer/5475648

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Smokemachine