Advice needed for vehicle window Tint?

Steps

Hi all,

I want to tint my truck windows black. I want something that you cant see in but i also want something that i can see out of, of a night time. The side windows can be rolled down during the night so they are not a problem. I am guessing though, that the front and maybe even the back will need a different shade?

Any and all advice welcome.

Thank you

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60 on the front and 80 on the rest is perfectly fine.

If you say so...............blink.png

Not all of are old people with failing vision.

Do you know the OP and his night vision capability...........NO..........You info is dangerous to him and others..........rolleyes.gif

It is not dangerous info . get a grip <deleted>.

You will also roll down the windows in the Rain ?

There are a lot of threads on this subject... Ultimately windows that impair night vision are downright dangerous.

Not that its followed, but its my understanding that 30% is the maximum tint according to Thai Law.

Op: Just go for a reasonable safe tint - In a truck not that many people will think you are important and invade your privacy with a passing glance through the windows.

I have 30% on My Wifes and my car - its difficult enough to see in to in the day time and blocks out heat well.

So I have some conflicting opinions on the topic here. I have 20, 30, 40 and 60% tint for the front and i have 40, 60 and 80% tint on the rest.

I am edging towards 40 on the front and 70 on the rest (70 is what i was advised by the guy at the garage with 40 on the rear? this advice was the reason for me posting the topic).

What do you think?

Only about three weeks ago there was this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724057-3m-crystalline-window-tint-bangkok-sukhumvit/ You need to understand what 40% 50% in fact means ... what are people talking about heat through, heat reflected, light through etc etc. Some very dark films actually don't keep the car all that cool.

It is not an easy subject to understand. Some films cost 3-4000Baht and some 20-30000+ Baht. Mirror films may be okay for you but a real 'pain in the eye' for others. Have fun.

All black drivers' windows are extremely dangerous. Other vehicle users, particularly motorbikes and cycles cannot see if you have seen them. That is why in law abiding countries there are rules about how much you can tint your windows. I would urge you, for the safety of all road users, not to darken the driver and passenger side windows.

So I have some conflicting opinions on the topic here. I have 20, 30, 40 and 60% tint for the front and i have 40, 60 and 80% tint on the rest.

I am edging towards 40 on the front and 70 on the rest (70 is what i was advised by the guy at the garage with 40 on the rear? this advice was the reason for me posting the topic).

What do you think?

You can put a reflective mirror tint instead of black or dark tint.

This way will allow you to see outside but not see inside.

The windscreen can be 40-60%, your preference.

The side and rear windows can be 60-80%.

I have this type of tint on my car and it's perfectly safe when driving at night,

i went with 40% on the windscreen and 60% for the rest.

Get the black ones, 3M brand. For the front windshield, there is a thai law that prohibits it being too dark. Max is 60 I think. I did the whole windshield, strip just looks ugly. As for the sides, I went with 95. Looks very good, keeps the car cool, keeps your skin feeling comfortable even with rays hitting on them. If you are not used to it at first, it may seem dark, but once you get used to it, it's perfectly fine. I'll do all my cars like this for life. Only obstacle is when parking in areas without light, then I must roll down my side windows. Personal choice, a little sacrifice for ALOT of gain. The main consideration is privacy so you can check out girls without them knowing and the heat. I have put my hand on the front windshield area and 60 really doesn't help enough, it is like UV ray burning. The reason I put 60 is only because of the law against the front windshield being too dark or else I would op for 75-80ish. Side 95, no matter how long the sun shines on your skin, it is still comfortable, no UV ray harm or pain at all. And saves air cond :D

Another advice, get QUALITY brands for front windshield, go cheap only for sides and so on. The reason is, if you get a cheap tint brand, at night, when you see any lights, it will become a blur, and trust me, it's so bad, your eyes will actually hurt and you get nausea. Everywhere, from brake lights, red lights, lamp posts, etc.

I recommend 3M as I have used them on my car and perfect sight at night.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have 30% on My Wifes and my car - its difficult enough to see in to in the day time and blocks out heat well.

40% on my front windshield is till a little too dark for night time (great in the day though). Get high quality 20/30% on the front, darker on the rest (40-60%)

As JAS21 says are the numbers quoted above the amount of light they let in or the amount of light they block?;

r_s237 - can I ask what brand you have as well?

Edited by topt

mine is the amount of light let in.

I Just got a call from the dealer asking what tint I want on my new car, they tried to convince me of 40 on the screen and 60 on the sides and back...... dumbasses.

i run a tint business (for 15 years now) but as theres too many experts here already (all quoting the wrong numbers) i doubt my advice is needed.

Please, for those of us non-experts, we would be interested (or at least I would be) in reading your point of view if you can be bothered.........wink.png

And as long as it is related to tinting in Thailand?

mine is the amount of light let in.

I Just got a call from the dealer asking what tint I want on my new car, they tried to convince me of 40 on the screen and 60 on the sides and back...... dumbasses.

Spoonman in your original post then your windscreen lets in less light than the rest of the windows (60/80) - that seems counter intuitive to me - or am I confused?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

40% on my front windshield is till a little too dark for night time (great in the day though). Get high quality 20/30% on the front, darker on the rest (40-60%)

As JAS21 says are the numbers quoted above the amount of light they let in or the amount of light they block?;

3M on one car, Lamina on another..

Within each brand there is quite a range.

Ask a rep to bring a range of films.

Strong advice would be to not impact your night vision at all. If you need to be rolling down windows in low light areas you won't see hazards while driving in low light areas...

In Malaysia dark tints are banned. They at least have a bit of sense.

But the ban is not enforced any more than any ban is enforced in Thailand!!

I have just purchased a new car and on the advice of salesman opted for the tint to be 60 for the windscreen and 80 elsewhere. I believe now that this is dangerous and picking up motorbikes without lights in the rear view mirrors at night is virtually impossible. I am getting it changed to 40 and 60 which was what I had on my previous car.

In Malaysia dark tints are banned. They at least have a bit of sense.

But the ban is not enforced any more than any ban is enforced in Thailand!!

I have just purchased a new car and on the advice of salesman opted for the tint to be 60 for the windscreen and 80 elsewhere. I believe now that this is dangerous and picking up motorbikes without lights in the rear view mirrors at night is virtually impossible. I am getting it changed to 40 and 60 which was what I had on my previous car.

3M on one car, Lamina on another..

Within each brand there is quite a range.

Ask a rep to bring a range of films.

Strong advice would be to not impact your night vision at all. If you need to be rolling down windows in low light areas you won't see hazards while driving in low light areas...

Thanks but is that 30% allowed in or blocked?

Unless you want to drive to a neighboring country sometime.

Unless you want to avoid to run over elephants or motorbikes without proper lights at night.

Unless...

sad.png

Good thinking that you want something that you can see out of your windows at night time....might have been difficult to drive at night otherwise.......................Sorry, just trying to be funny.

Edited by dotpoom

I sometimes find myself cursing people with blacked out windows when I'm behind them on my scooter and the vehicle in front is forced to stop/start or at least go very slowly because of other obstacles that would cause a responsible driver to go slow, but are not an issue for the scooter (which is why I use the scooter around town and have gone months without using the truck. Reason being is I can't see through the car to know what the issue is I'm dealing with.

When I was in UK the front windscreen had some kind of tint built into the front windscreen which looked 'sort of' like iridium or something to that effect. It was great for keeping heat and glare out, and stop people from staring in, but didn't compromise vision at all from the inside. Never seen it here though, and don't know the name to ask for it. They we're however a lot more expensive than standard screens.

You will also roll down the windows in the Rain ?

There are a lot of threads on this subject... Ultimately windows that impair night vision are downright dangerous.

Not that its followed, but its my understanding that 30% is the maximum tint according to Thai Law.

Op: Just go for a reasonable safe tint - In a truck not that many people will think you are important and invade your privacy with a passing glance through the windows.

30% is not a lot, which brand ? Can we see photos of your windows ? I guess that they are not black at all. Is it to be seen in your BMW ? :-) (joking)

i run a tint business (for 15 years now) but as theres too many experts here already (all quoting the wrong numbers) i doubt my advice is needed.

Please tell us real facts.

It's boring to keep searching wrong info in this forum.

Whick brands are the best and what about mirror film ?

Thanks a lot.