New type of ATM skimmer found in Phuket

webfact

New type of ATM skimmer found in Phuket
Suthicha Sirirat

1401248894_1-org.jpg
The device fits over the existing card slot.

PHUKET: -- Police have warned ATM users to be on the lookout for a new type of skimming device discovered this week in Patong.

The warning comes after police received a call alerting them to a suspicious device attached to the card slot of a Siam Commercial Bank ATM.

The ATM is a fairly new one with a hemispherical card slot designed to deter skimming. The skimming device, however, was also hemispherical and fitted over the original. It was made of green plastic that precisely matched the colour of the original slot underneath.

Police say this is the first time this sort of skimming device has been detected on Phuket and are working on the theory that it was installed by an international skimmer gang.

The gang members would probably send the stolen card information over the Internet to another country where depositors’ accounts would be robbed using cloned cards.

Anybody who comes across a suspicious device attached to an ATM is urged to call police immediately. Police believe that the criminals are probably loitering not far from the suspect ATM, and a stake-out of the ATM could result in arrests.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/new-type-of-atm-skimmer-found-in-phuket-46509.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-28

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket Police warn over ‘new’ ATM skim device
Phuket Gazette

1_20145281200140_iHyooMhlWrEwGZAthmLyQOX
Lt Col Sutthichai Thianpho of Patong Police (pictured) found the device fitted to an ATM outside a 7-Eleven in Patong. Photo: Patong Police

PHUKET: -- Police are warning all ATM users to beware of fake covers fitted to the card-insert slots of cash machines after finding a “new” form of card skimmer fitted to an ATM in Patong yesterday evening.

The new device was fitted to a Siam Commercial Bank ATM in front of a 7-Eleven convenience store at Malin Plaza, on Prachanukrh Road, at the south end of Patong.

“We received a report from a local resident who said the card insert slot looked odd,” Lt Col Sutthichai Thianpho of Patong Police told the Phuket Gazette.

Officers inspected the machine at about 6:30pm and found that a cover had been fitted over the card slot. Attached to the fake cover was some form of electronic chip.

“It was obviously a skimming device that copies the electronic information from every card inserted in the machine,” Col Sutthichai said.

“We haven’t seen anything like this before. The bank staff that officers spoke to also confirmed this was a new device.”

Col Sutthichai urged people to contact police with any information they have about suspected ATM skimmers.

“If you see anything suspicious, please call the police at 191 or report it in person at Patong Police Station,” he said.

“We have notified all police stations in Phuket, as we don’t know how many of these devices have been installed, or where.

“Please be cautious and check the ATM before using it. To be safe, please use one inside a bank.”

— Chutharat Plerin

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Police-warn-new-ATM-skim-device/29596#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-28

I wonder if bank managers or some bank staff / local area bank managers or officials are trained in this matter and whether they are required by bank standing orders to regularly inspect ATMs or ATMs in more at risk areas for any tampering.

In fact IMHO banks should have a legal responsibility to be checking ATMs for any interference.

Hate them as we do, you've got to admire their ingenuity! This one looks out of the top draw to me. unfortunately, it's not always possible to use the ATM's inside banks, but I agree that that is the sensible thing to do if possible.

Oh this is one of those new Anti-ATM overcharge skimmer for foreign withdraws. Siam is the first one to up their ATM charge to 180 baht per transaction. The attachment is to make sure you do not get charge at all... it deceives the machine and makes it think that you are using a local card. 555

I wonder if bank managers or some bank staff / local area bank managers or officials are trained in this matter and whether they are required by bank standing orders to regularly inspect ATMs or ATMs in more at risk areas for any tampering.

In fact IMHO banks should have a legal responsibility to be checking ATMs for any interference.

Yea right.

Last year my card was skimmed at Swampy arrivals, Siam Commercial Bank. I gave them the exact time, date, amount I withdrew, they could not give a t***.

Now, I send money to my Kasikorn bank when I visit and go to the teller to make a withdrawal.

wwell if th bank has just installed new readers and there on the case already with new looking skimmers looks a bit of an inside job to me, cant just knock something up in 2 minutes to match the ones they are using,

• Like 1

on the theory that it was installed by an international skimmer gang.

oh really ? does it mean Thai gangs cannot have the mind to do that ?

Regardless of the national orgin of the crooks, I appreciate the warning.

One can often pick apart the nature of any warning. The prudent person takes it for what it's worth.

looks appropriately phallic for phuket, though possibly more suited to pattaya.

I didn't notice the resemblance. Then again, I try to look at things in a different light.

wwell if th bank has just installed new readers and there on the case already with new looking skimmers looks a bit of an inside job to me, cant just knock something up in 2 minutes to match the ones they are using,

I don't think this device was knocked up specially for this particular ATM.

I would give credence to the 'international scammers' opinion because it is more likely to have been prepared for the new type of ATM which is likely not quite new overseas.

It's a pretty sophisticated piece of work - very likely imported.

Edited by khunken

Police believe that the criminals are probably loitering not far from the suspect ATM, and a stake-out of the ATM could result in arrests.

THET WHERE !!!

Geez I hope they dont read Thai Forum it will be their tip off to the stake-out

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

on the theory that it was installed by an international skimmer gang.

oh really ? does it mean Thai gangs cannot have the mind to do that ?

There are no thai criminals in Thailand. Thai people do not commit crimes. This is a well established rule that thai people religiously follow just as they also graciously give monetarily to their temples and monks. Only foreigners are criminals. Foreigners have lots of money because they have stolen it from Thai people. This is why it is also necessary to collect money under the table at immigration....after all....this money used to belong to the Thai people.

• Like 2

I always jiggle it to see of it can come off easily. Not sure how good of a check that is but im guessing with a subtle force these skimmers should be able to come off easily no?

Not sure if it works but I think I'll be doing the same. D4mn that device looks identical. How the hell do we know?

• Like 1

Had my account emptied twice here in Thailand via card scams.....I only use the tellers now....no more ATMs........

Incidentlly, it was an Aussie bank and they repaid all the missing funds

Go Aussie banks! They don't want the bad press I guess. They also probably have it covered by an insurance policy of some sort.

There are no thai criminals in Thailand. Thai people do not commit crimes. This is a well established rule that thai people religiously follow just as they also graciously give monetarily to their temples and monks. Only foreigners are criminals. Foreigners have lots of money because they have stolen it from Thai people. This is why it is also necessary to collect money under the table at immigration....after all....this money used to belong to the Thai people.

You are prety disappointed "farang" like us namely thai people...

If thai people go in abroad (ex. in Europe) How should us called them?

A: the same FARANG :-)

Two years ago my Kasikorn bank book was retained when the bank book update machine jammed.

As it was a Saturday and the bank was closed I had to wait until after the weekend to go and get my book back from the branch that the machine was outside.

I went back on the following Tuesday and asked for my book, but was told that the machines outside the bank *Do Not* belong to the bank.

They are installed and operated by a 3rd party company, with staff who are not bank staff. So rather than my book being recovered by a trusted person from the bank who would simply keep it in the bank for the customer (me) to collect, instead it is collected by some maintenance guy.

The bank told me I had to make a report to the Police.

Personally I find this totally ridiculous but this is Thailand....

I'm pretty sure ATMs are "restocked" and checked on a regular schedule. They wouldn't just be plunked in place and left to fend for themselves for weeks or months on end. But presumably the skimmers are aware of this and quite capable of installing their equipment just after a routine inspection has been made.

On the other hand, it's all the more important for ATM users to choose locations where fiddling with an ATM would be less likely to occur. Nothing is 100% safe, but if it's attached to a bank building or inside a mall with some security patrols, it's probably going to be a bit safer than choosing an ATM on some dimly lit vacant street or one standing along a usually deserted stretch of highway.

Do you think that people are smart enough to understand that ? They don't even understand that it's safer to have a helmet on motorcycles !

• Like 1