Syria conflict: US citizen carried out suicide attack

Lite Beer

Syria conflict: US citizen carried out suicide attack

A US citizen carried out a suicide bombing against Syrian troops on Sunday, the US state department says.

The rebel al-Nusra Front said the man conducted the bombing on their behalf. It was one of four attacks carried out in the northern city of Idlib that day.

It is thought to be the first suicide attack by a US citizen in the conflict.

More than 100,000 people have been killed in the battle between forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and those opposed to his rule.

"I can confirm that this individual was a US citizen involved in a suicide bombing in Syria," state department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27646185

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-05-31

I wonder how many of these apparent suicide bombings are carried out by unwilling participants. I. not just saying that because it involves a US citizen, I've often wondered it after any such attack ?

I wonder how many of these apparent suicide bombings are carried out by unwilling participants. I. not just saying that because it involves a US citizen, I've often wondered it after any such attack ?

How do you mean "unwilling"?

a.) You get kidnapped and strapped to a bomb and told if you deliver a package successfully and return it won't be detonated.

b.) You are,tricked into carrying or wearing something that doesn't look like a bomb but is.

Year ago there was a case where a guy broke into a home in Sydney and put a neck collar bomb on a young teenage girl. He told her all sorts of things and she would of virtually done anything to be spared from that.

Imagine if someone did that to you & you had no idea what you were up against. I bet many people would just do exactly what they were told hoping they would be spared.

Anyway, its something I've wondered nearly evertime I see someone blow up with a bomb on them.

• Like 1

Without going into Assad - Bad!, Syria - Bad!, Let's Bomb the Shiite out of them! routine,

I am interested what the Nationality of a suicide bomber has to do with anything in question?

Any man/woman/child can be 'flashed out of brains'.

Nationality, Religion, Ethnicity have nothing to do with this.

Besides, as mentioned above you can be on a suicide mission not even knowing it.

Besides, the USA let in so much trash lately they might even have Aliens as Citizens.

A pointless post.

• Like 1

a.) You get kidnapped and strapped to a bomb and told if you deliver a package successfully and return it won't be detonated.

b.) You are,tricked into carrying or wearing something that doesn't look like a bomb but is.

Year ago there was a case where a guy broke into a home in Sydney and put a neck collar bomb on a young teenage girl. He told her all sorts of things and she would of virtually done anything to be spared from that.

Imagine if someone did that to you & you had no idea what you were up against. I bet many people would just do exactly what they were told hoping they would be spared.

Anyway, its something I've wondered nearly evertime I see someone blow up with a bomb on them.

Well, sort of doubt anyone would fall for it in the Middle East. Blackmail against the bomber's own person wouldn't be very believable, a more likely course of action will be threats against family (but them most organizations take care of suicide bombers family members anyway). Someone who isn't self-motivated to do this stands more of a chance to expose himself,and as far as the operators go - greater chances of something going wrong. Probably more effective to go with true and tried religious brainwashing.

Hard to see how one could be tricked into wearing a bomb. Carrying one unknowingly been done, but again - running more risks of detection or ending up in the wrong place/time. And if unknowingly, it would exactly be a suicide, no intent on part of the bomber.

The case cited was a hoax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosman_bomb_hoax

If I was a teenage girl in AUS threatened by a burglar, might have fallen for it. Otherwise, pretty much NOT.

Well, sort of doubt anyone would fall for it in the Middle East. Blackmail against the bomber's own person wouldn't be very believable, a more likely course of action will be threats against family (but them most organizations take care of suicide bombers family members anyway). Someone who isn't self-motivated to do this stands more of a chance to expose himself,

and as far as the operators go - greater chances of something going wrong.

Probably more effective to go with true and tried religious brainwashing.

Hard to see how one could be tricked into wearing a bomb. Carrying one unknowingly been done, but again - running more

risks of detection or ending up in the wrong place/time. And if unknowingly, it would exactly be a suicide, no intent on part of

the bomber.

If I was a teenage girl in AUS threatened by a burglar, might have fallen for it. Otherwise, pretty much NOT.

Yes I am aware it was a hoax but let me tell you, it took experienced bomb techs considerable time to examine and determine it was a hoax.

The family threat situation may be another possibility. there's many different scenarios that could be played out.

I understand how the extremist works, I'm just throwing another idea out there. Obviously somebody would be investigating, hopefully competently. Cheers

Great stuff, I am more than happy that these jihadists go off to foreign shores to blow themselves up, much better they do it over wherever than do it in the West.

Perhaps the USAF/RAF could lay on free flights, somehow I doubt if we will see Hookmans freeloading family volunteering.

• Like 1

Did you catch his name? The US is a nation of immigrants. Unwilling, who knows. There seem to be a lot of muslim suicide bombers. Is it a move of desperation; like the monks in Vietnam who used to self-immolate? It appears they believe in what they are doing. Were they convinced to die for allah and receive their rewards; like the Japanese were convinced to become kamikazis in the name of honor and the emperor. Is it peer pressure which makes it more acceptable? Is there some drug which induces this desire? No, it's probably religious psychological manipulation.

Did you catch his name? The US is a nation of immigrants. Unwilling, who knows. There seem to be a lot of muslim suicide bombers. Is it a move of desperation; like the monks in Vietnam who used to self-immolate? It appears they believe in what they are doing. Were they convinced to die for allah and receive their rewards; like the Japanese were convinced to become kamikazis in the name of honor and the emperor. Is it peer pressure which makes it more acceptable? Is there some drug which induces this desire? No, it's probably religious psychological manipulation.

yeah I did, I was just throwing it out there.

I'm always suspicious....they use to pay me to be that way.

of course it's different when you can't see the evidence and rely on the crap media for information.

so many spastics out there these days. just sayin ;)

American citizen in a pig,s ear ! I,ll bet a case of beer he was of raghead origin. Any takers ?

Weeeeeeeeeeeell, it is rather unfortunate for me that folk who do this stuff are also called British. I can tell you that many are not happy with the "British" term where l come from in England............sad.png

• Like 2

American citizen in a pig,s ear ! I,ll bet a case of beer he was of raghead origin. Any takers ?

Weeeeeeeeeeeell, it is rather unfortunate for me that folk who do this stuff are also called British. I can tell you that many are not happy with the "British" term where l come from in England............sad.png

Hisses me off to when they say xxxxxxxx a British national born in cukkoo land killed ???

Yes ,clearly an "american"

“When his turn came up” to carry out a suicide bombing, he “was very happy, because he will meet his God after that,” Abu Abdulrahman, the fighter, said via Facebook.

It will be a shock to him when he finds out that the god is "Zhu Bajie"(look at his head)Sorry picture was not allowed.

Speaking of American Nationals I am wondering at the origins of some of their best.

Any ideas about origins and distinctive qualities of a name Psaki?

If derivative (repeat - IF) is from slavic languages - there is something of a barking dog in it...

But, then again, what's in a name? biggrin.png

Well, sort of doubt anyone would fall for it in the Middle East. Blackmail against the bomber's own person wouldn't be very believable, a more likely course of action will be threats against family (but them most organizations take care of suicide bombers family members anyway). Someone who isn't self-motivated to do this stands more of a chance to expose himself,and as far as the operators go - greater chances of something going wrong. Probably more effective to go with true and tried religious brainwashing.

Hard to see how one could be tricked into wearing a bomb. Carrying one unknowingly been done, but again - running more risks of detection or ending up in the wrong place/time. And if unknowingly, it would exactly be a suicide, no intent on part of the bomber.

It may have been a hoax in Australia, but it did happen in the US in 2003. A pizza delivery guy was captured and a collar bomb attached to his neck. He was instructed to rob a bank, which he did. Unfortunately the police caught and surrounded him on the street before he could return to his captors. Despite his pleas to the police, he eventually exploded in front of a large crowd and news cameras.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11098058

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It may have been a hoax in Australia, but it did happen in the US in 2003. A pizza delivery guy was captured and a collar bomb attached to his neck. He was instructed to rob a bank, which he did. Unfortunately the police caught and surrounded him on the street before he could return to his captors. Despite his pleas to the police, he eventually exploded in front of a large crowd and news cameras.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11098058

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeah that's what I was talking about. Not nice. Could happen to other people in other ways, especially if a mans family was being threatened.

Anyway, obviously this guy (in the Syria bombing )was an a.hole. Sad to be him.

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 2

if you dont know the technique they use :

they take a boy, rape him (against homosexuals in their religion), film it and tell him he has a choice... they will show the video to his family / authorities or he goes becomming a martire for the cause

He was an American of Arab origin, apparently he tried to speak classical Arabic but spoke with an accent-suggesting US born.

On arriving in Syria he promptly tore up his US passport, sparking surprise amongst the Syrian anti Assad fighters who remarked most people do all they can to get a US passport.

A previous poster should not compare Muslim suicide murderer bombers to the Vietnamese monks who self immolated themselves in protest against the corrupt government of South Vietnam. The latter killed no one else, only themselves, the former kill as many people as possible.

• Like 1

they take a boy, rape him (against homosexuals in their religion), film it and tell him he has a choice... they will show the video to his family / authorities or he goes becomming a martire for the cause

I am assuming that you something to back up this statement?

At least Brian Wells - the pizza delivery guy - he did not feel anything. Live Leak has the actual video and when the bomb went off, it blew him to smithreens.

Well a bit off topic, but in Northern Ireland the Catholic fighters would do a home invasion and hold a taxi drivers family at gunpoint, and instruct him to deliver a bomb to a target.

What is very different about the conflict in Syria is these young men, are being radicalised in western countries, and this time it is very different, I repeat very different, they post martyr videos in English, on the Internet.

It is no longer the videos of before, a Pushtin or Arabic language he did not understand.

This is his mates talking, a teenager born in our own country, is following a new doctrine.

The Irish did not want to die for their cause, these new Jihadists youngsters are very different.

I am assuming that you something to back up this statement?

There are reports about this, Scott, although not sure any are verifiable or from credible (or at least, halfway objective)

sources (The Sun ran a story about it a few years back).

As for the straight version, there was some on this as well (again, not sure it can be verified as such):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7869570.stm

I would guess motivation and recruitment are somewhat different with locality, organization and opportunity.

Some relying on radical religious devotion, some on rewards for family, some on coercion.

• Like 1