Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Retirement visa confusion

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but I cannot find anything that relates to it.

Since I wish to apply for a retirement visa, I have checked on the requirements etc.

Firstly, I believe I have to have 800,000 baht in a bank account for over two months. I understand that this needs to be in a Thai bank, can someone confirm this is true or can it be in a UK bank ? And if this is the case, how do I open a Thai bank account, since the banks I have visited all tell me that I cannot open one without a visa ( not a 30 day waiver ) and in some cases a resident certificate.

Secondly, there is mention of an income of 65000 baht per month, but is this not necessary if I have the 800,000 baht in an account.

Are you from a country whose citizens can get "visa on arrival? (actually not a visa but a 30 day visa exempt permission.)

Yes the 800k has to be in a Thai bank.

I'll tell you what I did about 3 years ago, but you either need the visa exempt status or get a visa in your country.

I arrived on visa exempt for 30 days, rented a place and went straight to immigration to convert to a non-o visa. That gave me 90 days and the right to open a bank account. You would immediately do that and deposit the 800k. There were some hoops to jump through such as getting a medical (at that time for that immigration officer) but getting the non-o was easy with the complete docs.

With the non-o I had to wait until not more that 30 days but not less than 15 days was left on my visa. Then I went to immigration and got my multi-entry extension of stay for retirement purposes.

I believe that using this process the seasoning time for the money is less. Check it out. There's enough time if you go that way.

Others will be along to tell you what's current.

If you plan to apply at your local Thai embassy or consulate for the non-O/A (long stay) visa you should consult the website of the consulate for details of their requirements, as they often vary from one consulate to another. Your mention of a UK bank seems to indicate that you are in the UK, where you will have to apply for the non-O/A visa at the embassy in London. Their requirements for the non-O/A visa are here: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51. The equivalent of THB 800,000 does not have to be in a bank in Thailand. If you have monthly income equivalent to THB 65,000 you not not need the equivalent of THB 800,000 in the bank, as indicated by the word "or" in that sentence.

There is no such thing as a multiply entry extension of stay for retirement. You will receive a one year extension of stay based on retirement, either the 800,000baht in the bank for 2 months the first time 3 months after that or based on 65,000baht a month income statement from you local Embassy. After you get the extension of stay you may want to get a re-entry permit either single or multiply if you plan on a trip outside of the country

Are you from a country whose citizens can get "visa on arrival? (actually not a visa but a 30 day visa exempt permission.)

I'll tell you what I did about 3 years ago, but you either need the visa exempt status or get a visa in your country.

I arrived on visa exempt for 30 days, rented a place and went straight to immigration to convert to a non-o visa. That gave me 90 days and the right to open a bank account. You would immediately do that and deposit the 800k. There were some hoops to jump through such as getting a medical (at that time for that immigration officer) but getting the non-o was easy with the complete docs.

With the non-o I had to wait until not more that 30 days but not less than 15 days was left on my visa. Then I went to immigration and got my multi-entry extension of stay for retirement purposes.

I believe that using this process the seasoning time for the money is less. Check it out. There's enough time if you go that way.

Despite what others may say, it is fairly obvious that you mean an extension of stay and a re-entry permit.

Despite what others may say, it is fairly obvious that you mean an extension of stay and a re-entry permit.

In that case you would have been better off slamming the OP for not using the correct terminology instead of slamming the rest of us for not being mind-readers!

• Like 1

In that case you would have been better off slamming the OP for not using the correct terminology instead of slamming the rest of us for not being mind-readers!

I can only assume that when you ring the consulate for an appointment and the lady on the other end asks if you want a marriage visa or retirement visa then you say neither and proceed to tell her she has it all wrong.

I can only assume that when you ring the consulate for an appointment and the lady on the other end asks if you want a marriage visa or retirement visa then you say neither and proceed to tell her she has it all wrong.

With what Thai consulate did you have the experience that a consular employee asked you about marriage visa or retirement visa even though these terms are not used on the consulate's website?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

you need to learn the correct terminology, as without it you will more likely get the wrong answer, and I believe MOST consulate do know the correct terminology, it seem you do not know the correct terminology you need to learn, it will help people here to understand better, and give the correct answer rather than trying to guess,

• Like 1

you need to learn the correct terminology, as without it you will more likely get the wrong answer, and I believe MOST consulate do know the correct terminology, it seem you do not know the correct terminology you need to learn, it will help people here to understand better, and give the correct answer rather than trying to guess,

he done the same last week when I said don't call it a visa its not.its an extension,seems he has a communication problem.

• Like 2

With what Thai consulate did you have the experience that a consular employee asked you about marriage visa or retirement visa even though these terms are not used on the consulate's website?

Been a regular visitor to Hull over the last 10 years. When you ring for appointment they ask which visa, tourist or Non Immigrant. If Non Immigrant they then ask which Category. If Category O they then ask is that for a marriage visa or retirement visa. They then tell you what to bring to the appointment.

I have not been since last July so with the changes the dialogue may have changed slightly.

It seems a bit strange that the people that live here on extension of stay can be so knowledgeable on consulate procedures.

I would never comment on Thai Immigration. I have only been twice in 15 years and the last time must have been 10 years ago. I have only lived here 5 years and only brought one container in, so probably not so well versed as the majority on the board.

Been a regular visitor to Hull over the last 10 years. When you ring for appointment they ask which visa, tourist or Non Immigrant. If Non Immigrant they then ask which Category. If Category O they then ask is that for a marriage visa or retirement visa. They then tell you what to bring to the appointment.

I have not been since last July so with the changes the dialogue may have changed slightly.

It seems a bit strange that the people that live here on extension of stay can be so knowledgeable on consulate procedures.

I would never comment on Thai Immigration. I have only been twice in 15 years and the last time must have been 10 years ago. I have only lived here 5 years and only brought one container in, so probably not so well versed as the majority on the board.

So precisely what has led you to the confident conclusion, on the basis of your comment in post #5, that the OP lives in Thailand and not in the UK?

To underline the importance of using the correct terminology: just as an apple is an apple and not an orange, so an extension of stay is an extension of stay and not a visa!

Edited by OJAS

So precisely what has led you to the confident conclusion, on the basis of your comment in post #5, that the OP lives in Thailand and not in the UK?

I was not referring to the OP, i was referring to the following: "Then I went to immigration and got my multi-entry extension of stay for retirement purposes."

To underline the importance of using the correct terminology: just as an apple is an apple and not an orange, so an extension of stay is an extension of stay and not a visa!

I have never referred to an extension of stay as a visa. I have never commented on an extension of stay, I never had an extension of stay so I have no practical experience.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Cannot convert to OA Visa in Udon. They said flat out that you have to do it in your home country. This might be new...or just unique to Udon Immigration. I tried today, and was politely told everyone else that is doing it is wrong....

true...

Cannot convert to OA Visa in Udon. They said flat out that you have to do it in your home country. This might be new...or just unique to Udon Immigration. I tried today, and was politely told everyone else that is doing it is wrong....

true...

You cannot covert to an OA visa at any immigration office.

You convert to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then do the extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the entry.

I don't think there is any immigration office up here in Isann that does the conversion. Most of the immigration offices here will tell you to go to Vientiane or Savannakhet for a non-o visa.

true...

You convert to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then do the extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the entry.

I don't think there is any immigration office up here in Isann that does the conversion. Most of the immigration offices here will tell you to go to Vientiane or Savannakhet for a non-o visa.

I had the tourist visa...and no way could I get that converted in Udon. That was today. I asked if I could get an OA Visa in Vientiane or Manila...the girl said flat out no. (Even though I know some people who did exactly that). On the Immigration website, it does say you must apply for an OA in your home country/country of residence.

I do not dispute that people are getting it elsewhere...it is just what I was told in Udon Immigration.

Next I will try Savannakhet for a non oA visa..90 days.. if I do get turned down, I still have another entry on my tourist visa.

Edited by slipperylobster

true...

I had the tourist visa...and no way could I get that converted in Udon. That was today. I asked if I could get an OA Visa in Vientiane or Manila...the girl said flat out no. (Even though I know some people who did exactly that). On the Immigration website, it does say you must apply for an OA in your home country/country of residence.

I do not dispute that people are getting it elsewhere...it is just what I was told in Udon Immigration.

Next I will try Savannakhet for a non oA visa..90 days.. if I do get turned down, I still have another entry on my tourist visa.

You will not get a OA visa anywhere but your home country. A OA visa gives a one year entry. You are confusing OA visas with non-o visas.

You will get a single entry non-o visa in Savannakhet. They will want to see financial proof to get it.

You would have to go to Bangkok to do a change of visa status for a tourist visa entry to a non immigrant visa entry.

• Like 1

You will not get a OA visa anywhere but your home country. A OA visa gives a one year entry. You are confusing OA visas with non-o visas.

You will get a single entry non-o visa in Savannakhet. They will want to see financial proof to get it.

You would have to go to Bangkok to do a change of visa status for a tourist visa entry to a non immigrant visa entry.

you are right...I did confuse the two. ok thanks

Edited by slipperylobster