World War II bomb found at Bangkok MRT project site

webfact

Was Bangkok 'bombed' during WWII ?

Not a piss take, I didn't know.

What was the history?

Wikipedia is your friend! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Bangkok_in_World_War_II

"Allied bombing raids on the Thai capital city of Bangkok began even before Thailand had declared war, since the Empire of Japan was using the country as a staging area for its invasions of both Malaya and Burma, with the agreement of the Thai government after Japan's successful invasion of the southeast Asian country. The first raid came on January 7, 1942, when Royal Air Force (RAF) aircraft flying fromRangoon, attacked military targets in the city.[1][2] The American Volunteer Group, together with seven No. 113 Squadron RAF and three No. 45 Squadron RAFBlenheim bombers, were involved in the first raid.[3] No. 113 Squadron's planes were piloted by No. 60 Squadron's air crew. The second night raid was carried out with 8 Blenheims on 24-25 January and included No. 60 Squadron RAF aircrew.[4] A final raid was made three days later by four Blenheims. This was the last raid by Blenheims until May or June 1945."

Fact check: Thailand was not involved in WW2.

SIAM was.

This enables Thais to say Thailand has never been invaded.

Do you just make up your own history to support your preconceived notions? Siam was renamed Thailand in 1939

We shouldn't be too hard on the Thais for their piss poor efforts against the Axis powers. They were hardly alone. Lots of countries saw the war either as an opportunity to enrich themselves by staying neutral or choosing to sit on the fence waiting to see who was winning before taking sides.

It certainly was a moment in history which separated the good from the bad and the brave from the gutless.

edit typo

Edited by bigbamboo

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Fact check: Thailand was not involved in WW2."

Fact check check; Thailand was involved in WW2, Siam was not.

Thailand was invaded by the Japanese, then by the Allies.

Could have been a Seppo or a Pommy bomb.

Double slur !!! Nice one. God I love Aussies......

• Like 1

I doubt if there are many WW2 veterans left today. Even those who were the minimum age of 18 and joined the war in 1945 would now be 87 years old.

And I very much doubt that there could be any WW1 vets alive and well now. Those who joined that war in 1918 and were 16 years old would be 112 today. My guess is that WW1 is now out of living memory.

I believe I saw some news stories perhaps two or three years ago about the deaths of the last surviving World War I veterans. One of the very last was a woman who had volunteered as a nurse as a teenager.

There were so many men & women deployed during WW2 that there are tens of thousands of them still alive.

WW2 bomb found at Bangkok MRT results in silver-surfing, old farts bickering about origins of bomb and history on a news forum site.

Love it. wai2.gif

Yep me too !!! Nice to see older men with some knowledge of history passing it on.

Guess the young guys on TV that proclaim they get Thai bar girls for free, would

have limited knowledge of history due to extensive time spent on video games....wai2.gif

And yes, I suspect that Thailand would be perfectly happy to forget WW2 ever

happened to them, as it did not go well for them. Always a bad move to pick

the losing side.....In fact, I'll bet you do not even know about the woman who saved

Thailand from the British at the end of the war, Betty McKenzie.

http://home.comcast.net/~dmckroot/thailand.htm

""About two or three months, I can't remember exactly how long but I think it was about two or three months, after the war ended low and behold over our ticker tape came a most horrifying piece of news information. That the United States, Britain, and Thailand had signed a treaty. Because of the puppet government that the Japanese set up in Thailand, Thailand was being ceded to the British Empire. This free country, for a thousand years, being ceded to the British Empire."

Sorry to piss on your fire gramps but read all this before and guess what, I still didn't need a review today either ... 'in fact I bet you didn't even know that.'

Guess the young guys on TV that proclaim they get Thai bar girls for free, would

have limited knowledge of history due to extensive time spent on video games

Bar girls for free..video games, what on earth are you on about? You know nothing about me yet you insinuate that 'my type' are whoring and playing video games? Too many words from your 'history teaching' mouth I fear. I'm a working father with a family to support and certainly no time for video games or whores!

Regardless of your attempts to educate the masses, some of us just wanted to read about the bomb found at the MRT site yet instead SOME wished to hijack the thread with their 'knowlegde' .... sound like anyone we know??? whistling.gif

My late grandfather served in Burma so I have always had an interest in the conflict from this part of the world, probably more than most do .. bet you didn't know that did ya??? wink.png

Well I certainly stand in awe of the knowledge you must be carrying inside your head, by the fact your grandfather served in Burma..... Wait a minute. My uncle served in the Pacific theater in WW2. Does that make me an expert there as well ?? As far as the gramps crack, that is somewhat amusing as I have a three year old daughter. Epic fail for the insult scoreboard.... As far as this story, it could be succinctly summed up in one one sentence. Not sure how much more discussion you feel the fact a bomb was found would justify. But as conversations tend to move in ripples by associated facts, yes a bomb from WW2 would tend to bring that topic up. If that is annoying or confusing to you, just step back from the keyboard....

See, the Stuttering Parrot enjoyed the bit of knowledge passed on. :-)

Well thanks for the enlightenment gramps clap2.gif

The gramps crack was more justified following your assumptions. And BTW, I couldn't give a monkeys .... about you or your supposed uncle! You insinuated my type do this and that therefore deserving some sort of retort or is that too much for your brain and mouth to comprehend?

'I have 3 year old' and??? Many an old codger here with kids they won't see grow old gramps.

I know that most Thais don't acknowledge WWII, but some years ago there was a Thai soap opera about the WWII days showing Japanese troops in the streets and airplanes dropping bombs. As usual poorly done special effects and the airplanes couldn't be identified. I bet on allied. I also saw part of a Thai movie on tv that showed underground operations against the Japanese during WWII. There was an underground movement here and I believe, yea no proof and I'm too lazy to go looking, that the OSS was involved like it was in Vietnam. My wife's grandfather, a walking history book born in 1920 or 21, was part of the underground. He is quite proud of the fact he never stopped fighting the Japanese as well he should be. Uncle Ho lived up here at one time. I believe that at least in part the underground was, gasp, heaven help us, the godless commies. The Thai declaration was never official as it was never delivered by the Thai Ambassador to the US. The Railroad man is an excellent film, have to recommend it to all.

Yep me too !!! Nice to see older men with some knowledge of history passing it on.

have limited knowledge of history due to extensive time spent on video games....wai2.gif

And yes, I suspect that Thailand would be perfectly happy to forget WW2 ever

happened to them, as it did not go well for them. Always a bad move to pick

the losing side.....In fact, I'll bet you do not even know about the woman who saved

Thailand from the British at the end of the war, Betty McKenzie.

http://home.comcast.net/~dmckroot/thailand.htm

""About two or three months, I can't remember exactly how long but I think it was about two or three months, after the war ended low and behold over our ticker tape came a most horrifying piece of news information. That the United States, Britain, and Thailand had signed a treaty. Because of the puppet government that the Japanese set up in Thailand, Thailand was being ceded to the British Empire. This free country, for a thousand years, being ceded to the British Empire."

Sorry to piss on your fire gramps but read all this before and guess what, I still didn't need a review today either ... 'in fact I bet you didn't even know that.'

have limited knowledge of history due to extensive time spent on video games

Bar girls for free..video games, what on earth are you on about? You know nothing about me yet you insinuate that 'my type' are whoring and playing video games? Too many words from your 'history teaching' mouth I fear. I'm a working father with a family to support and certainly no time for video games or whores!

Regardless of your attempts to educate the masses, some of us just wanted to read about the bomb found at the MRT site yet instead SOME wished to hijack the thread with their 'knowlegde' .... sound like anyone we know??? whistling.gif

My late grandfather served in Burma so I have always had an interest in the conflict from this part of the world, probably more than most do .. bet you didn't know that did ya??? wink.png

Well I certainly stand in awe of the knowledge you must be carrying inside your head, by the fact your grandfather served in Burma..... Wait a minute. My uncle served in the Pacific theater in WW2. Does that make me an expert there as well ?? As far as the gramps crack, that is somewhat amusing as I have a three year old daughter. Epic fail for the insult scoreboard.... As far as this story, it could be succinctly summed up in one one sentence. Not sure how much more discussion you feel the fact a bomb was found would justify. But as conversations tend to move in ripples by associated facts, yes a bomb from WW2 would tend to bring that topic up. If that is annoying or confusing to you, just step back from the keyboard....

See, the Stuttering Parrot enjoyed the bit of knowledge passed on. :-)

Well thanks for the enlightenment gramps clap2.gif

The gramps crack was more justified following your assumptions. And BTW, I couldn't give a monkeys .... about you or your supposed uncle! You insinuated my type do this and that therefore deserving some sort of retort or is that too much for your brain and mouth to comprehend?

'I have 3 year old' and??? Many an old codger here with kids they won't see grow old gramps.

You are most welcome for the enlightenment. My " supposed uncle" was awarded the bronze star by General MacArthur, the correct grammar as put forth in my post was " I have a three year old....", and I offer special congratulations for getting the words gramps three times in a single post . Made somewhat ludicrous by the fact that you probably are closer to being a gramps than me... Ok enough time spent trading barbs with a moron, time to move on....coffee1.gif

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Had to be brits who dropped that one US hit most of there targets Think that one said this is for you Hitler your chicken sucks.

No mate, pretty accurate bomb drop if done by the RAF even pretty close for USAAF considering altitude.

MRT Station is very close to SRT railyards & shops.

post-9891-0-16264400-1401799630_thumb.jp

I doubt if there are many WW2 veterans left today. Even those who were the minimum age of 18 and joined the war in 1945 would now be 87 years old.

And I very much doubt that there could be any WW1 vets alive and well now. Those who joined that war in 1918 and were 16 years old would be 112 today. My guess is that WW1 is now out of living memory.

I believe I saw some news stories perhaps two or three years ago about the deaths of the last surviving World War I veterans. One of the very last was a woman who had volunteered as a nurse as a teenager.

There were so many men & women deployed during WW2 that there are tens of thousands of them still alive.

The comfort women enslaved by Japan in WW2 are certainly still alive and angry....

Don't worry folks unless MRT stands for Mentally Retarded Thais it's perfectly safe to travel in the areawai2.gif

This person should be really proud of his superior status - it shows beautifully in his writings.

The world needs more of these to solve all it's unpleasant problems.

I guess Thailand should feel privileged to have him (if he is there) and his home country must be sure missing him.

Should not he tour all such countries having MR citizens to improve them?

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

I think this thread has been blown out of all proportion !

That being said I quite enjoyed the read and the history lesson.

Thanks for your input!

"I think this thread has been blown out of all proportion !"

Probably caused by a 500 lb bomb.

The comfort women enslaved by Japan in WW2 are certainly still alive and angry....

... and apparently some are working in Pattaya and they're still younger than most of their local farang customers...! smile.png

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

I know that most Thais don't acknowledge WWII, but some years ago there was a Thai soap opera about the WWII days showing Japanese troops in the streets and airplanes dropping bombs. As usual poorly done special effects and the airplanes couldn't be identified. I bet on allied. I also saw part of a Thai movie on tv that showed underground operations against the Japanese during WWII. There was an underground movement here and I believe, yea no proof and I'm too lazy to go looking, that the OSS was involved like it was in Vietnam. My wife's grandfather, a walking history book born in 1920 or 21, was part of the underground. He is quite proud of the fact he never stopped fighting the Japanese as well he should be. Uncle Ho lived up here at one time. I believe that at least in part the underground was, gasp, heaven help us, the godless commies. The Thai declaration was never official as it was never delivered by the Thai Ambassador to the US. The Railroad man is an excellent film, have to recommend it to all.

The Railroad man is an excellent film, have to recommend it to all. *****

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2058107/?ref_=fn_al_tt_8

• Like 2

@ eyeswideopen

Glad you said 'ludicrous' and not ironic gramps, cos you don't get irony right?

You are twenty years older than me so it really isn't ironic or ludicrous that I called you that at all :P

You're right about something though Mr mouth wide open, enough time for me bickering with a silver surfer, time for you to crack on and research some more historical or any old toosh facts for that matter that you can then attempt to impress the other old codgers with, that's the ones that wish to listen to your tripe that is.

Peace gramps ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by lostmebike

Don't blow it open with a hammer now, do not leave it to the ignorant wannabe authorities who are too worried about saving face

Maybe they should call in the resident TV Bomb Scrapping (BS) experts like you who are obsessed with fabricating some face worth trying to save.

I prefer to omit the words "like you". It discredits the post, but yet, does not attack the poster.

Just a thought my friend.

What was the history?

The allies bombed it at the start of ww2 because Thailand sympathised with the Axis, particularly Japan. Then things started to get a bit hot and the Japs started to lose, so Thailand kinda changed sides later in the war, and just about denied everything, as they do. It's called 'pragmatism' - subai subai.

Actually sounds like they acted in their interest of their own people and country and did it successfully staying out as much as possible of a war they wanted no part of.

Not true; the Thai government declared war on the Allies pretty soon after after the Jap's invaded (although the Thai ambassador in Washington refused to hand the declaration to the Americans). Much later in the war having seen how the Japanese were enslaving Thai's, as well seeing the effect of Allied bombing, they sought to distance themselves from the Axis. They however remained within the Axis. At the end of the war the Thai government surrendered to the Allies and were briefly occupied by the British. Many Thai's remained loyal to the old King who had set up house in England (only to die shortly before Japanese hostilities) and actively resisted the Japanese.

• Like 1

What was the history?

The allies bombed it at the start of ww2 because Thailand sympathised with the Axis, particularly Japan. Then things started to get a bit hot and the Japs started to lose, so Thailand kinda changed sides later in the war, and just about denied everything, as they do. It's called 'pragmatism' - subai subai.

Actually sounds like they acted in their interest of their own people and country and did it successfully staying out as much as possible of a war they wanted no part of.

Not true; the Thai government declared war on the Allies pretty soon after after the Jap's invaded (although the Thai ambassador in Washington refused to hand the declaration to the Americans). Much later in the war having seen how the Japanese were enslaving Thai's, as well seeing the effect of Allied bombing, they sought to distance themselves from the Axis. They however remained within the Axis. At the end of the war the Thai government surrendered to the Allies and were briefly occupied by the British. Many Thai's remained loyal to the old King who had set up house in England (only to die shortly before Japanese hostilities) and actively resisted the Japanese.

No idea what you think is "not true" but Britain didn't occupy Thailand. The 7th Indian Infantry Division did enter Thailand after the war to disarm the Japanese. This is not an occupation. Nor did Thailand ever surrender or was there a need for them to do so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand_in_World_War_II#Post-war

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Where are the guys with the blow torches and the saws????

They are sadly no longer with us but have been blown into a million tiny pieces.

I am sad for the families of innocents killed by the bomb, but as for the half-witted blow-torcher, well, write that one off as improving the gene pool.

With regard to finding the UXB's, in Germany and in Britain they are examining old aerial reconnaissance photographs - usually post raid BDA stuff, as this helps them find UXB (to help prevent the deaths of construction workers, like the poor sod in Germany recently) - as I understand it, the bombs are let loose in strings of say 10, if you count 9 craters in a row, then you know that one ain't gone off, then you need to check to see if it has been found before., anyway a link here

Finally, in France and Belgium they are still clearing tonnes of WWI shells, bullets and mortar bombs etc every year (the iron harvest) some of these are of course chemical weapons (phosgene, mustard and chlorine gas etc) anyway see this link for a story about the Belgium EOD teams - link

Enlightening thread. Been on my mind for some time to look up about Thailand's WW2 involvement. Thanks to those who have provided wikipedia links & to KevinB.

My Dad (An RAF volunteer - aircraft mechanic) was served in WW2. In Italy & Egypt IIRC. Sadly I lost him when I was just 22. He used to tell me stories but of course at under age 22 most lads aren't very interested in that kind off stuff. Boy do I wish I'd listened more now 30+ years later.

The only thing about Siam/Thailand never having been colonized is probably white westerners would be treated with more respect as we/they are in the Philippines - assumed to be American until they know otherwise.

If you get the airport link train from Phaya Thai, sit on the left side & look out the window. Those rail yards & sheds cover a huge area. Lots & lots of old rolling stock completely grown over with ivory.

Some posters here should have more respect for their elders. Its not so many years back that the elders were the guys who fought in WW2.

Edited by Lancashirelad

What was the history?

Wikipedia is your friend! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Bangkok_in_World_War_II

"Allied bombing raids on the Thai capital city of Bangkok began even before Thailand had declared war, since the Empire of Japan was using the country as a staging area for its invasions of both Malaya and Burma, with the agreement of the Thai government after Japan's successful invasion of the southeast Asian country. The first raid came on January 7, 1942, when Royal Air Force (RAF) aircraft flying fromRangoon, attacked military targets in the city.[1][2] The American Volunteer Group, together with seven No. 113 Squadron RAF and three No. 45 Squadron RAFBlenheim bombers, were involved in the first raid.[3] No. 113 Squadron's planes were piloted by No. 60 Squadron's air crew. The second night raid was carried out with 8 Blenheims on 24-25 January and included No. 60 Squadron RAF aircrew.[4] A final raid was made three days later by four Blenheims. This was the last raid by Blenheims until May or June 1945."

SIAM was.

i thought the quote was something about never being colonised as opposed to invaded…? Nana is invaded on a nightly basis, never very successfully!

i thought the quote was something about never being colonised as opposed to invaded…? Nana is invaded on a nightly basis, never very successfully!

Invasion followed by voluntary withdrawal after a short time is regarded as successful.

Enlightening thread. Been on my mind for some time to look up about Thailand's WW2 involvement. Thanks to those who have provided wikipedia links & to KevinB.

My Dad (An RAF volunteer - aircraft mechanic) was served in WW2. In Italy & Egypt IIRC. Sadly I lost him when I was just 22. He used to tell me stories but of course at under age 22 most lads aren't very interested in that kind off stuff. Boy do I wish I'd listened more now 30+ years later.

The only thing about Siam/Thailand never having been colonized is probably white westerners would be treated with more respect as we/they are in the Philippines - assumed to be American until they know otherwise.

If you get the airport link train from Phaya Thai, sit on the left side & look out the window. Those rail yards & sheds cover a huge area. Lots & lots of old rolling stock completely grown over with ivory.

Some posters here should have more respect for their elders. Its not so many years back that the elders were the guys who fought in WW2.

Ahhh so that's where the long lost Elephant graveyard is whistling.gif

Thailand essentially "capitulated" to the Japanese under Field Marshall Phibul, establishing a wartime occupation relationship with Japan somewhat akin to the Vichy State in France.

Thais will never say that they've never been "invaded." The past 500 years of Southeast Asian history is all about the Thai, Khmer, Burmese and Lao kingdoms overrunning each other and sacking conquered cities.

What Thailand can claim is that unlike the vast majority of developing countries - and every one of their neighbors - Thailand was never colonized by a European power.

my husband told me the same as you..we were not taught the real facts,just what they wanted us to know thank you..wai2.gif .i never believed him before..thought he was thai bashing.

History is written by winners! Lot of "facts" are pure bs. War crimes done by winners are twisted or forgotten etc...

• Like 1

What was the history?

SIAM was.

Oooops Jonnie99! According to "wiki answers.com" Siam changed its name to Thailand on the 23 of June 1939! It changed its name later to Siam and then in 1948 changed it back again to Thailand! This means that Thailand was invaded/invited the Japanese (therefore colonised) in during WWII, More to the point the Japanese introduced Thai occupation money, stamps and other financial instruments so any claim by the Thai's that they have never been colonised is just so much hogwash!

so there!! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

What was the history?

SIAM was.

Oooops Jonnie99! According to "wiki answers.com" Siam changed its name to Thailand on the 23 of June 1939! It changed its name later to Siam and then in 1948 changed it back again to Thailand! This means that Thailand was invaded/invited the Japanese (therefore colonised) in during WWII, More to the point the Japanese introduced Thai occupation money, stamps and other financial instruments so any claim by the Thai's that they have never been colonised is just so much hogwash!

so there!! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Certainly an interesting concept in twisted logic. So if my name was John Smith, and I go

out and kill Adam, then I change my name to Big Bowser, that means I did not kill Adam ??

You are referring to the Makkasan Railyards for some reason which is unclear to me, not the Bang Sue railyards where the bomb was found.

Yes, Makkasan is huge , nearly 2km long and will be completed redeveloped into a new inner city site in the next 10-20 years. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679228-bangkok-makkasan-chong-nonsi-land-talks-begin/#entry7003039

(The Bang Sue Railyards are also being completely redeveloped) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/653268-bangkoks-mo-chit-2-bus-terminal-to-be-relocated-ahead-of-aec/page-2

You are referring to the Makkasan Railyards for some reason which is unclear to me, not the Bang Sue railyards where the bomb was found.

Yes, Makkasan is huge , nearly 2km long and will be completed redeveloped into a new inner city site in the next 10-20 years. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679228-bangkok-makkasan-chong-nonsi-land-talks-begin/#entry7003039

(The Bang Sue Railyards are also being completely redeveloped) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/653268-bangkoks-mo-chit-2-bus-terminal-to-be-relocated-ahead-of-aec/page-2

Your posts are well written and informative. With the redevelopment of the Bang Sue yards and shops, where will the marshaling of freight trains and servicing of SRT's large loco fleet take place under these new plans? Udon Thani?

As for HST, that's still fantasy land stuff at the moment, since the NCPO has determined double tracking the existing system is more viable for Thailand.