Retail chains peg their food items at 35 to 40 baht

webfact

BANGKOK, 6 June 2014 (NNT) - Big C, Tesco Lotus, and Tops supermarket have agreed to peg the prices of ten ready-to-eat meals at 35 to 40 baht until the end of November 2014.

Ms. Srirat Rastapana, the Commerce Ministry’s Permanent-Secretary, has consulted with the three major retailers about reducing food prices to help alleviate the cost of living. A total of ten ready-to-eat meals would be sold no higher than 35 to 40 baht per dish for until November under the “Blue Flag Campaign,” which aims to sell food items at discounted prices.

Some of the food items that would be pegged include fried rice, a dish of rice with curry, pork or chicken stir-fried with basil leaves, and chicken curry with vermicelli. Fried egg prices will also be capped at around 7 to 8 baht.

Big C hypermarket has already joined the “Blue Flag Campaign” since May 31st until June 30th by selling most of its meals at 30 baht. Tesco Lotus and Tops are also set to follow suit on July at an unspecified date.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-06 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

I am sure the prices at Mall food centers are already more than

35-40 bht, so much for pegging the price then, IF they do you

can bet they are smaller dishes,you are going to need 2 .

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Ready to eat food ??????????????? bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif just wonder who is buying those ...

What a strange comment. This is Thailand.

People who cannot afford to eat at restaurants or buy food at Foodland, TOPS or Villa Market.

Can we assume you are not in the ready to eat food market?

If it weren't for the food in a plastic bag system, many Thais would go hungry.

You may not know but it is still possible and cheaper to cook your food yourself. There are countries which don't offer ready to eat food on every corner and still people survive, some even get fat.

• Like 2

I never know whether to laugh or cry at these pronouncements from the "Commerce Ministry".

So the price of "a dish" of 10 popular food items will be "frozen".

Any fule kno that the total contents of the "Dish" will be immediately be reduced in proportion - unless you order "piset" which MAY contain the same overall same content of the former but will probably cost you Baht 15 or more extra.

So eventually everyone has to either orders 2 Dishes or 1 "piset".

Simply feeding price inflation.

Idiots all.

Patrick

I recently got 1/3 (yes not 1/4) boiled egg on a dish instead of 1/2.

I still wounder how could they cut a 1/3?

• Like 1

I never know whether to laugh or cry at these pronouncements from the "Commerce Ministry".

So the price of "a dish" of 10 popular food items will be "frozen".

Any fule kno that the total contents of the "Dish" will be immediately be reduced in proportion - unless you order "piset" which MAY contain the same overall same content of the former but will probably cost you Baht 15 or more extra.

So eventually everyone has to either orders 2 Dishes or 1 "piset".

Simply feeding price inflation.

Idiots all.

Patrick

Patrick, you're right to a certain extent that the food quality and quantity would probably be reduced. However, it all depends on where you eat and how big your appetite is. At the Terminal 21 food court, there are several shops that sell their meals at 25-30 baht per dish and the quantity isn't too bad either. Most ordinary Thais (especially office workers) don't earn that much nor do they eat a lot, so I guess a number of them would feel relieved with the price drop.

Ready to eat food ??????????????? bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif just wonder who is buying those ...

What a strange comment. This is Thailand.

People who cannot afford to eat at restaurants or buy food at Foodland, TOPS or Villa Market.

Can we assume you are not in the ready to eat food market?

If it weren't for the food in a plastic bag system, many Thais would go hungry.

You may not know but it is still possible and cheaper to cook your food yourself. There are countries which don't offer ready to eat food on every corner and still people survive, some even get fat.

i cook for myself, but i would hardly say it is cheaper than eating out, but then i cook western and im a bit of a food snob as well.

cooking aint cheap especially if you are shopping at villa ore one of the gourmet marts

Most Thais don't who work, don't cook. They buy a food pack/pouch from a stall at lunch, and buy another at dinner. Many Thai apartment. buildings don't have kitchens. They may have a portable electric burner, but they don't want them cooking with that bottle of cooking gas. The cost of take away food items is a big factor.

This is true, it is cheaper for most Thais to buy the little bags.

But whatis 30B and of a higher quality at Chao Lao Beach is 50-60b in Bangkok now. Prices have dramatically risen in Bangkok.

Given that they'll have to shrink the portion sizes, maybe include free eye glasses with each purchase?

Or just use smaller plates, forks and spoons.

The wholesale price of most basic commodities is tightly controlled/monitored throughout the country, including eggs - there are many different types/sizes, pork, chicken, et al.

Chao Lao BeachLush and Green All Year, Tropical Fruit Bowl of Thailand, Amazing Beaches With Clean Air, Lack of Whore Bars & Close To Good Hospitals, 2.5 hrs to BKK, Why Live Anywhere Else smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Did they build a high speed rail line to Chantaburi? Even Google maps which is horribly optimistic says 3hrs.

These 10 ready-to-eat meals now pegged at 35 to 40 baht are probably the same meals that recently cost to 25 to 30 baht. Easy to peg the cost of meals for another 6 months or so especially if you just recently raised the prices.

And much smaller portions.

100bht is enough to cook 5 chicken curries with potato, onions and carrots.

Cook once, keep in the fridge and re-heat as requited.

Microwave doesn't cast much.

So, what if you don't have help buying, cooking, washing dishes, etc. It is not worth it.blink.png

So, what if you don't have help buying, cooking, washing dishes, etc. It is not worth it.blink.png

Not capable of shopping or housework!

Sorry to hear you are disabled in some way.

You should have your own cooking show, you could call it "Rachel Roi".

Hopefully you've got more than that one Chicken Curry recipe?

i cook for myself, but i would hardly say it is cheaper than eating out, but then i cook western and im a bit of a food snob as well.

cooking aint cheap especially if you are shopping at villa ore one of the gourmet marts

I bet you cook some tasty meals. Thais would probably spend the same amount on food for their daily needs as you spend on your vegetables for your home cooked meal.

Being a food snob and shopping at Villa Market is nice, however, most Thais have never entered a Villa, Foodland or Tops store.

Many foreigners in Thailand can afford to eat what they like, many Thais are forced to eat that which they can afford. Fortunately for you and I we fall into the first group but I sympathize with the second group.

Sounds like you live in a different country.

I live in one of the largest cities in Thailand. It's a very peaceful, beautiful place with loads of

historical and cultural attractions.

Counting the tourists, farang comprise about 25% of the population. What amazes me most

about living here these last 3 years is -- most of the Thais here seem to have a much higher

standard of living than the farangs. And it's not just a few rich hi-so Thais.

Most of the Thais here drive newer, more expensive cars. When I eat in a nice place, like Fuji

restaurant, I see Thai families of 6-8 persons who are very likely spending 1,500-2,000 baht

for their meal. And I've noticed that Thais typically eat more than I do.

This city has a hundred or so nice sub-divisions (and many more under construction) where

3-4 bedrooms are most common. I happen to live in an upscale sub-division. But not many

farang living here. In my sub-divisions, I have one neighbor (Brit) who bought his house here

7 years ago. Have seen only 2-3 other farang in this sub-division of 253 houses.

The bottom line is -- the city where I live reminds me a lot of Japan, poor folks are very few.

Most of the vehicles on the road/street are in the 1-2 million baht range.

I see so many folks on TV talking about how most Thais are so poor. Not where I live.