Yet another rant!

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Are all Thai companies so rubbish?"

No, they are not, but there is a serious shortage of skilled workers and engineers.

They are trying to please, but they can't find the manpower to do so.

Sorry for a slight thread spinoff, but the lack of skilled workmen is really an issue.

It seems commonplace to assume that any poor farmer automatically qualifies as a builder, plumber etc., simply because he/she is "used to manual labour"...

Also, they don't even get proper tools to use. Cost cutting madness...

Ideally Thailand should increase the capacity of vocational schools for educating workers (can be ex-farmers) in these sectors. But as usual, who would pay for that.. Perhaps the tax base has to increase first.

Edited by Globalist
  • Like 1

Its how it is get used to it an appointment to me with this kind of thing is like a approx give or take a day. If they come they will call then just get them to wait if you are out.

They will eventually come......eventualy.

Sent from my c64

And in your home country you never did this??

Jerry

Never. The companies understand earning repeat business and referrals by word-of-mouth.

They do need to give a window of time because they can't guess how long jobs that are ahead of me will take, but they will be there.

It works like this. Initially they tell me they will be there "Thursday between noon and 4:00." I say "OK."

At about 11:00 AM Thursday, I get a robocall reminding me and asking me to "press 1" if I will be there. I press 1.

If they aren't there by about 2:00 I get another robocall telling me they will be there by 4:00 and again asking me to press 1.

Perhaps a 2:30 I get a robocall telling me they are on their way and asking me to press 1 if I will be there. I press 1.

Within a few minutes they are there with bells on fully equipped to make me happy and do it right the first time.

Part of being in Thailand is understanding that it's not first world, and seeing why, and accepting it.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 2

Ideally Thailand should increase the capacity of vocational schools for educating workers (can be ex-farmers) in these sectors. But as usual, who would pay for that.. Perhaps the tax base has to increase first.

Thailand has a lot of so called vocational schools. But in between shooting at others from a different vocational schools they don't seem to spend much time learning.

And when they do get work, basically they are getting paid to smoke cigarettes. In all the Family Marts and 7/11's the males are outside smoking and the girls inside working.

This is obviously your first visit to Thailand. When you're new and Fresh Off The Boat, you're easily shocked. As noted by posters above, you'll get used to it. Experience is such a great teacher--unless you just can't learn anything. The more you accept the Thai attitude and adopt it yourself, the happier you'll be in Thailand.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Thailand has a lot of so called vocational schools. But in between shooting at others from a different vocational schools they don't seem to spend much time learning.

hey it takes a lot of skill to do that!

It just takes time to find the right people. We eventually had a small list of AC, Pool and Electrical guys who were on time 80% of the time. It takes awhile but ask around it's all word of mouth.

Jerry

Never. The companies understand earning repeat business and referrals by word-of-mouth.

They do need to give a window of time because they can't guess how long jobs that are ahead of me will take, but they will be there.

It works like this. Initially they tell me they will be there "Thursday between noon and 4:00." I say "OK."

At about 11:00 AM Thursday, I get a robocall reminding me and asking me to "press 1" if I will be there. I press 1.

If they aren't there by about 2:00 I get another robocall telling me they will be there by 4:00 and again asking me to press 1.

Perhaps a 2:30 I get a robocall telling me they are on their way and asking me to press 1 if I will be there. I press 1.

Within a few minutes they are there with bells on fully equipped to make me happy and do it right the first time.

Part of being in Thailand is understanding that it's not first world, and seeing why, and accepting it.

You wrote, "Never. The companies understand earning repeat business and referrals by word-of-mouth."

USA repairman.

A Chicago cable repairman was found guilty of raping and strangling a young woman who let him into her southwest side home to fix her Internet service.

Service technician Byran Koji Uyesugi shot at eight people; seven fatally (six co-workers and his supervisor) and one more fired upon during escape. This was the worst mass murder in the history of Hawaii.

Home repairman charged in New Hartford thefts

Chicago Repairman-Charged-With-Swallowing-Diamond Ring

Google "repairman charged" Too many to list.

I don't know where it went. I had the water bill in my pocket. I was going to Lotus to pay it with a cashier. You can pay the water bill almost anywhere; Lotus or a bank or 7/11. I reached in my pocket and the bill was gone. I don't know where it went. I wrote my name and address and phone number on a piece of paper and gave that and 200 baht to a motorcycle driver and she paid the bill for me at the water office a couple of miles away. No problem.

Gas went out. I called the gas company and they dropped off a new bottle of gas 230 baht including delivery charge. It took them 10 minutes to get here from the call. No problem.

It must be karma.wai.gif

Jerry

part of being in Thailand is also understanding if you pay sh*tty wages or squeeze prices too much you can expect sh*tty companies and even these make you wait. that applies especially to expats married to Thai ladies who are proud to post in Thaivisa how their wives achieved the best deal.

And part of being in Thailand is understanding that it is a feudal society, hence sh*tty wages. And with the Association of S.E. Asian Nations ASEAN coming next year. With free movement of labor across borders, guess what is going to happen to wages.

Edited by morrobay

part of being in Thailand is also understanding if you pay sh*tty wages or squeeze prices too much you can expect sh*tty companies and even these make you wait. that applies especially to expats married to Thai ladies who are proud to post in Thaivisa how their wives achieved the best deal.
And part of being in Thailand is understanding that it is a feudal society, hence sh*tty wages. And with the Association of S.E. Asian Nations ASEAN coming next year. With free movement of labor across borders, guess what is going to happen to wages.

nothing will happen because the "free movement of labour" only exists in fairy tales posted by uninformed people in Thaivisa. read and learn:

Facilitate the issuance of visas and employment passes for ASEAN professionals and

skilled labour who are engaged in cross-border trade and investment related activities.

servicing a washing machine or a fridge does neither qualify for cross-border trade nor is it an investment related activity.

wai2.gif

• Like 2

OK I'll guess. Since wages are lower in Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam; Thai wages will go down?

Am I right?

"Are all Thai companies so rubbish?"

No, they are not, but there is a serious shortage of skilled workers and engineers.

They are trying to please, but they can't find the manpower to do so.

Give them a little time, they will come at the end.

Yes, they made an appointment, but you don't know the problems they encountered in the previous jobs.

You sound like a tradesman.

It only takes seconds to place a phone call, most of us are reasonable people, we understand delays.

OP, It's not a race thing, service is slipping everywhere in the world.

Years ago I got so sick of waiting for yet another service visit from a certain company, so I uninstalled the device myself, threw it in the Vigo and drove it to Bkk HQ and later that day I left HQ, with a shiney new company cheque and no air. con unit. LOL, I only had to tune up 6 or 7 people before I discussed the situation with the right man. Two days later, their competition fitted a new unit to the wall and haven't had a problem since.

Flaming Alexander Graham Bell invented a fantastic little device, people should use it when providing service and dealing with delays. It also use to be common courtesy to call me Sir and listen carefully when being spoken to, all those things have gone by the wayside. S h I t ful attitude these young people ! Nothing to do with Thailand, it's a world wide epidemic.

OK I'll guess. Since wages are lower in Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam; Thai wages will go down?

Am I right?

you are not right and need reading glasses. what part of

Facilitate the issuance of visas and employment passes for ASEAN professionals and

skilled labour who are engaged in cross-border trade and investment related activities.

is it you don't understand?