Yet another rant!

thaibeachlovers

And part of being in Thailand is understanding that it is a feudal society, hence sh*tty wages. And with the Association of S.E. Asian Nations ASEAN coming next year. With free movement of labor across borders, guess what is going to happen to wages.

OK I'll guess. Since wages are lower in Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam; Thai wages will go down?

Am I right?

you are not right and need reading glasses. what part of

Facilitate the issuance of visas and employment passes for ASEAN professionals and

skilled labour who are engaged in cross-border trade and investment related activities.

is it you don't understand?

So do you think Thai wages will go up? See I said they would go down. If you disagree with me I think that means that you think they will go up or stay the same. So? You needn't get angry I was only asking a question.

Edited by thailiketoo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the opening poster has got a bit of stick for his complaint ,when its 100% justified . i have a buisiness here and if i have a meeting with a builder or tradesman they are told if they are late they will not get the work ,i explain farangs hate waiting in just for the job to be done. guess what they are never late,

if those of you saying this service is accepable to just turn up late saying this is thailand ,its you who has lost the plot , instead send them away explain why and when it hurt their pockets they will soon learn ,

besides that most times they are late is when you have already paid ,dont pay until the job is finished ,i lose count at the number of times some one has paid then 75-80% of the final price when it not even started

if your paying for a service you should get the service

Edited by ste860

Well I just informed myself on this subject ASEAN 2015 The issuance and facilitation of visas for professionals and skilled labor may not be so tidy and compartmentalized as your

"informed" reference suggests. ASEAN Predictions : Less professional mobility than expected. More low skilled migration than expected - beware of low skill migration hump.

Thailand and Malaysia will be engulfed

Edited by morrobay

And part of being in Thailand is understanding that it is a feudal society, hence sh*tty wages. And with the Association of S.E. Asian Nations ASEAN coming next year. With free movement of labor across borders, guess what is going to happen to wages.

OK I'll guess. Since wages are lower in Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam; Thai wages will go down?

Am I right?

So do you think Thai wages will go up? See I said they would go down. If you disagree with me I think that means that you think they will go up or stay the same. So? You needn't get angry I was only asking a question.

i did not get angry but stated a reason why Thai wages will not go down based on the wrong assumption that foreign labour from ASEAN countries can freely move to Thailand. because this is not the case your question and your mentioning lower wages in Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam was irrelevant.

Well I just informed myself on this subject ASEAN 2015 The issuance and facilitation of visas for professionals and skilled labor may not be so tidy and compartmentalized as your

"informed" reference suggests. ASEAN Predictions : Less professional mobility than expected. More low skilled migration than expected - beware of low skill migration hump.

Thailand and Malaysia will be engulfed

there is no such thing like "my informed reference" but the official ASEAN agreement.

ASEAN%20Movement%20of%20Natural%20Person

I think these hundreds of thousands of Burmese and at least Cambodian workers who have been working in Thailand have been paid less than minimum wage. I think it caught the Junta by surprise and they will want them back. They are illegals, so the minimum wage law is being circumvented in a big way with the undeclared blessing of the government.

Many say they do jobs that Thais don't want. I don't know if Thais would want then for true minimum wage. I can't say what will happen but the minimum wage isn't the real minimum wage.

I don't know.

And in your home country you never did this??

Jerry

Never. The companies understand earning repeat business and referrals by word-of-mouth.

They do need to give a window of time because they can't guess how long jobs that are ahead of me will take, but they will be there.

It works like this. Initially they tell me they will be there "Thursday between noon and 4:00." I say "OK."

At about 11:00 AM Thursday, I get a robocall reminding me and asking me to "press 1" if I will be there. I press 1.

If they aren't there by about 2:00 I get another robocall telling me they will be there by 4:00 and again asking me to press 1.

Perhaps a 2:30 I get a robocall telling me they are on their way and asking me to press 1 if I will be there. I press 1.

Within a few minutes they are there with bells on fully equipped to make me happy and do it right the first time.

Part of being in Thailand is understanding that it's not first world, and seeing why, and accepting it.

part of being in Thailand is also understanding if you pay sh*tty wages or squeeze prices too much you can expect sh*tty companies and even these make you wait. that applies especially to expats married to Thai ladies who are proud to post in Thaivisa how their wives achieved the best deal.

I had this building project and the driver was always late and would have the order wrong. Farang neighbors said all these negative things about the Thais not being on time and why don't they have a check off list? Next time, I gave the driver a 100 baht tip. Problem solved. On time with the right order from then on.

• Like 1

Had a Hitachi fridge slight damage during the 2011 flood. The ice making apparatus broke down. Technician came after 2 months appointment, checked and said he will come back with spare part. Waited till 2012 and sold it and change to Mitsubishi.

I found a very very reliable repair place Air con and plumping This sort of thing I call or email the problem to them and with a they say they will be their they are . And on top of that stand behind their work as well. I had a real problem with an air con they came back 3 times and finally fixed it . Was a short in the wiring .And did not charge for the 2 times extra they came

I will use them all the time Very reliable

Am I right?

i did not get angry but stated a reason why Thai wages will not go down based on the wrong assumption that foreign labour from ASEAN countries can freely move to Thailand. because this is not the case your question and your mentioning lower wages in Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam was irrelevant.

You wrote, "you are not right and need reading glasses. what part of is it you don't understand?" That was an unnecessary insult about the reading glasses. I think it is a common assumption that labor will move freely after ASEAN takes effect.

You wrote, "Facilitate the issuance of visas and employment passes for ASEAN professionals and

skilled labour who are engaged in cross-border trade and investment related activities." Which I don't think is very clear.

Personally I have found service people here more reliable and punctual than in Western countries. Usually it takes me a couple of days to round them up and get them over, rarely more than a week. Whereas I have a friend in Paris still waiting for his internet upgrade after 9 months.

Oh yes today I had someone not turn up at 9 am but I have already sent their office an email and will follow up with a phone call later. I am pretty certain they will be over in the next couple of days

If they are repeatedly unreliable change to someone else. However there is the rub. The main difficulty is actually finding the service people in the first place rather than getting them to turn up

I think these hundreds of thousands of Burmese and at least Cambodian workers who have been working in Thailand have been paid less than minimum wage. I think it caught the Junta by surprise and they will want them back. They are illegals, so the minimum wage law is being circumvented in a big way with the undeclared blessing of the government.

Many say they do jobs that Thais don't want. I don't know if Thais would want then for true minimum wage. I can't say what will happen but the minimum wage isn't the real minimum wage.

I don't know.

How do you know what Burmese and Cambodian workers make?

I know they make the same as Thai workers. The difference is Thai workers don't want to work construction or whatever particular job the foreign labors are doing. Thais can work inside in a factory and have free lunches and other benefits in addition to the hourly wage.

You make an error. It is not the wage that is important it is the kind of work. Thais don't want to do it Burmese will.

I have no idea what you mean by, "real minimum wage." 300 baht per day is the minimum wage as far as I know. Am I wrong?

Edited by thailiketoo

Bought a gas stove and from day one it didn't work properly, making the pots all black and sooty. Wifey rings the stove company, and they say they will send someone to fix it.

After two weeks, I got sick of it, googled the symptoms and a fix, fixed it myself in 2 minutes. Literally half an hour later, the service guy turns up. I said mai pen rai, I have fixed it. He said he came all the way from Bangkok. Ok, would you like a drink of cold water before you go back?

2 things struck me. 1. If they were sending a guy, especially so far, a phone call to keep us updated. 2. such an easy fix (adjusting the air flow with a lever that is there just for that purpose), they could have explained over the phone and made us happy immediately and save themself organising the technician.

Personally I have found service people here more reliable and punctual than in Western countries. Usually it takes me a couple of days to round them up and get them over, rarely more than a week. Whereas I have a friend in Paris still waiting for his internet upgrade after 9 months.

Oh yes today I had someone not turn up at 9 am but I have already sent their office an email and will follow up with a phone call later. I am pretty certain they will be over in the next couple of days

If they are repeatedly unreliable change to someone else. However there is the rub. The main difficulty is actually finding the service people in the first place rather than getting them to turn up

When the appliance is under warranty, you don't have a choice of service company.

I had a friend in our condo go 10 weeks with no air/con. The compressor gave up the ghost. The repair company told him a generic compressor would work. After 3 days it went kaput. It took them 8 weeks to find a matching compressor and he finally had cool air as the hot season started to wind down.

I just had the most pleasurable experience trying to decide between two companies to install some air con and heating at my place here in farangland. First company took the specs down and told me "If no one calls in 2 days" for me the customer to call. Two and a half weeks later no one called so I called them and the sales person said he didnt even receive the specs from the tradesman. Second company the serviceman was 2 minutes early to agreed appointment time, was very professional, wrote up quote on the spot and was even cheaper. In fact even if he was more expensive I would have gone with them for one thing. SERVICE. one thing that is non existent most of the time in LOS.

Can you believe it: $6500 worth of work and the serviceman didn't even give the specs to sales to call me - Have to question are some companies out there to make a buck or not? unbelievable

I just had the most pleasurable experience trying to decide between two companies to install some air con and heating at my place here in farangland. First company took the specs down and told me "If no one calls in 2 days" for me the customer to call. Two and a half weeks later no one called so I called them and the sales person said he didnt even receive the specs from the tradesman. Second company the serviceman was 2 minutes early to agreed appointment time, was very professional, wrote up quote on the spot and was even cheaper. In fact even if he was more expensive I would have gone with them for one thing. SERVICE. one thing that is non existent most of the time in LOS.

Can you believe it: $6500 worth of work and the serviceman didn't even give the specs to sales to call me - Have to question are some companies out there to make a buck or not? unbelievable

Let me get this right. You are saying, "SERVICE. one thing that is non existent most of the time in LOS." because you cant get an AC installed in the West?

• Like 1

Had my share of idiots over the years in Chiang Mai.

But now have some local guys that can fix basic water pumps and electrical stuff that come immediately.

Pool guys have been some of the worse at keeping appointments, but now use a larger company and have the top guys phone number. They are reliable.

Air con company is on monthly service fee, so when something needs attention, guaranteed same day fix, even weekends. Good guys.

Aquarium guys know that my wife will feed them, so they are usually on time.

It takes time, but when you find a good guy, reward them with tips or food/drink. It saves frustrations later...but it still happens occasionally.

I do struggle with pre-booked taxis, however. Always seem to forget or cannot come at the last minute. Hate taxi guys.

reading all these complaints makes me feel a very lucky man (which i think applies also if i had not read them). 8½ years ago we hired a driver for my wife (after firing two before him). no English besides "yes" and "no" but as a former taxi driver he knew the ins and outs of Pattaya like i know the derrière of my wife after nearly 35 years of marriage. we sent him twice for an intensive English course and learned that he was a car mechanic, did three years of military service in the Thai Navy (general maintenance) and had an extremely extensive general allround technical knowledge (thank you Thai Navy!).

there's virtually no maintenance or repairs that we both can't handle ourselves in my crazy high-tech home except the dirty job of thorough foam cleaning and pressure washing of 19 airconditoners. haven't had a service man in my home for at least 6 years! that he earns an excellent salary and enjoys princely fringe benefits for not more than 30 working hours per week goes of course without saying. but he is worth every single Satang and the fact that i am the self-appointed great-grand-godfather of his adorable little daughter and little son.

• Like 2

I've been waiting for the phone company to come reattach their line to the pole in front of my house, instead of letting it fall into my front gate. I've been waiting since January of 2012. Right now, their line is wrapped around one of my veranda's balcony columns, where it will probably stay until I move or die.

I have had much success by explaining beforehand that I would normally be going out but I will wait for them and if they cannot come for some reason to call me… otherwise, especially in the countryside, there is an expectation that osmeone is always home, which for our family is true, but I still want to be there when work is done.

part of being in Thailand is also understanding if you pay sh*tty wages or squeeze prices too much you can expect sh*tty companies and even these make you wait. that applies especially to expats married to Thai ladies who are proud to post in Thaivisa how their wives achieved the best deal.

After reading this 3 times, I'm still trying to figure out if that last part is a bad thing and you're scolding us -- or if its a good thing and you're jealous. ;)