Work Permit for Condo Foreign Board Chairman and Members

If they are doing any kind of work then they require a work permit. Even if they are doing volunteer work for no money.

SDM

This thread I s about a co-owners committee of a condo. The rules are set out in the condominium act under Thai Law. It is neither work for payment or volunteering for no payment.

They do NOT require a WP. Your post is out of context and nonsense!

“Your post is out of context and nonsense!”

I don’t agree, let have a look at the facts. SDM

“This thread is about a co-owners committee of a condo”.

In general terms I agree, however to be more specific, the title of the thread is “Work Permit for Condo Foreign Board Chairman and Members” and “Do the foreign national Board Chairman and two foreign national Board Members need work permits.”

“The rules are set out in the condominium act under Thai Law.

Once again I agree, however I can see no mention of exemptions for the requirements to have work permits.

Although you disagree that this is work in saying “It is neither work for payment or volunteering for no payment.

However Chief Jeeraphan Sookhwan, who in 2012 was the Work Permit Division of Phuket Employment Office would seem to disagree with you. He said

“…………….Normally, being on a committee involves attending meetings to make decisions and signing papers. In this case, you would need a work permit.”

I did notice it has been pointed out that this office is now closed, however the last amendment to The Condominium Act was in 1999 and last amendment to The Alien Working Act was in 2008. My point being that whether this office is either presently open or closed is irrelevant. The relevant Laws as they were 2012 are exactly the same in 2014, so clearly the same rule applies.

“They do NOT require a WP. “

Hopefully I have illustrated that this claim is wrong, it’s not my opinion but has been proven with the evidence that I have given.

“Your post is out of context and nonsense!”

It would seem not.

If you disagree, please tell us why.

SDM

Sources;

The Condominium Act 1979 (Amended 1999) http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0336.pdf

The Alien Working Act 2008 http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0366.pdf

Chief Jeeraphan Sookhwan http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1329

Good post but next retort will be "I have spoken to numerous legal firms who say you don't"

Its a stock line some people drag out when they don't have a basis for their argument

The proper course of action should be for some who intends serving on a committee is to visit their local DOL and ask, and preferably get it in writing if they say you don't need a WP, then that person is coveredf , there is no come back

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are doing any kind of work then they require a work permit. Even if they are doing volunteer work for no money.

SDM

This thread I s about a co-owners committee of a condo. The rules are set out in the condominium act under Thai Law. It is neither work for payment or volunteering for no payment.

Your post is out of context and nonsense!

I dont agree, let have a look at the facts. SDM

This thread is about a co-owners committee of a condo.

In general terms I agree, however to be more specific, the title of the thread is Work Permit for Condo Foreign Board Chairman and Members and Do the foreign national Board Chairman and two foreign national Board Members need work permits.

The rules are set out in the condominium act under Thai Law.

Once again I agree, however I can see no mention of exemptions for the requirements to have work permits.

Although you disagree that this is work in saying It is neither work for payment or volunteering for no payment.

However Chief Jeeraphan Sookhwan, who in 2012 was the Work Permit Division of Phuket Employment Office would seem to disagree with you. He said

.Normally, being on a committee involves attending meetings to make decisions and signing papers. In this case, you would need a work permit.

I did notice it has been pointed out that this office is now closed, however the last amendment to The Condominium Act was in 1999 and last amendment to The Alien Working Act was in 2008. My point being that whether this office is either presently open or closed is irrelevant. The relevant Laws as they were 2012 are exactly the same in 2014, so clearly the same rule applies.

They do NOT require a WP.

Hopefully I have illustrated that this claim is wrong, its not my opinion but has been proven with the evidence that I have given.

It would seem not.

SDM

Sources;

The Condominium Act 1979 (Amended 1999) http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0336.pdf

Chief Jeeraphan Sookhwan http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=1329

It would appear you have never sat on a condo management committee. I am well aware of the ONE official's interpretation translated into English in the link you have mentioned. I prefer to respond to this as follows..... that the facts were lost in translation, mis-reported and he was probably referring to the JPM.

You show me an example of a committee member being forbidden, prosecuted or deported for sitting on a management committee which is designed under Thai law to oversee the maintenance and accountable management of his freehold property!

• Like 1

SDM

In general terms I agree, however to be more specific, the title of the thread is Work Permit for Condo Foreign Board Chairman and Members and Do the foreign national Board Chairman and two foreign national Board Members need work permits.

Although you disagree that this is work in saying It is neither work for payment or volunteering for no payment.

.Normally, being on a committee involves attending meetings to make decisions and signing papers. In this case, you would need a work permit.

Hopefully I have illustrated that this claim is wrong, its not my opinion but has been proven with the evidence that I have given.

It would seem not.

SDM

Sources;

Good post but next retort will be "I have spoken to numerous legal firms who say you don't"

Its a stock line some people drag out when they don't have a basis for their argument

The proper course of action should be for some who intends serving on a committee is to visit their local DOL and ask, and preferably get it in writing if they say you don't need a WP, then that person is coveredf , there is no come back

With respect, absolute nonsense !

SDM

It would seem not.

SDM

Sources;

It would appear you have never sat on a condo management committee. I am well aware of the ONE official's interpretation translated into English in the link you have mentioned. I prefer to respond to this as follows..... that the facts were lost in translation, mis-reported and he was probably referring to the JPM.

You show me an example of a committee member being forbidden, prosecuted or deported for sitting on a management committee which is designed under Thai law to oversee the maintenance and accountable management of his freehold property!

Ok see if you can find the thai version then, plenty of people on TV can read Thai and get them to interpret what it says

Just because someone doesn't cite a case, doesn't mean it hasn't happened or makes it legal for that matter

SDM

It would seem not.

SDM

Sources;

With respect, absolute nonsense !

Please tell why its absolute nonsense that some one query this question with their local DOL, as to their legal position ?

You state something is nonsense, but don't state why

Further the same question has been asked by the OP on the "ask the lawyer" section, and Somsak lawyer has stated a WP is required

Edited by Soutpeel

You intend to interpret law for folks who are keeping their buildings maintained when you live in a house and call yourself "a condo committee of one?" Are you Thai sir? You do not own that house. You are lucky if you own the company that owns your house.

As stated in the previous post, the same question from the op was posted on "ask the lawyer" and even Somsak lawyer says a WP is required

If you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion, no need to start trying to take cheap shots at posters, because they don't agree with your very weak points, rather just don't say anything

Actually my house is not owned by a company as that is illegal as well, if it was set up for the express purpose of circumnavigating land ownership laws ;)

Edited by Soutpeel

It would appear you have never sat on a condo management committee.

Quite so.

I am well aware of the ONE official's interpretation translated into English in the link you have mentioned. I prefer to respond to this as follows..... that the facts were lost in translation, mis-reported and he was probably referring to the JPM.

An argument I have also used myself in the past but, and this is my opinion, I would say something “ lost in translation” would be something subtle. What I am looking for in The Condominium Act would be a line that says people on the committee are exempt from requiring a work permit, or in the The Alien Working Act a line containing an exemption for serving committee members in Condominiums registered under The Condominium Act. But I can find neither. I willing to concede that the Thai official may have been in error, they sometimes are, but the Laws are specific. Although a Court would only be interested in the native Thai version, a clever lawyer would argue that the Law is translated in a language that the defendant understands and is very clear they could easily have understood it, but still chose to ignore it.

You show me an example of a committee member being forbidden, prosecuted or deported for sitting on a management committee

It’s not really relevant and not the subject of the thread. However your point seems to be, and many people seems to make this point, that because no action has been taken against anyone, and I am also unaware which bearing in mind I am in the property business, is relevant. However I could also point out perhaps ten people who drive their cars drunk, but not a single one has been caught, this doesn’t mean it’s right or legal. Different situation, but same principle.

“designed under Thai law to oversee the maintenance and accountable management of his freehold property!”

To repeat myself, I have quoted The Condominium Act and put a link to the full act. There is not a mention of allowing a foreigner to serve on a committee without the need for a work permit.

Let me conclude by saying I doubt there would ever be a problem for a foreigner serving in the capacity. But that wasn’t what the OP asked. The important thing to consider is if ever action was taken against someone, they would lose and any lawyer would pull out all the evidence I have. You may say it is unlikely but if you upset the wrong person they have all the ammunition they need to create a lot of trouble.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

Those who have not been condo committee members are expert on the subject. I will leave the landed gentry to their own preoccupations. Those who have performed the task for two terms can not contribute as we do not know enough to keep up with your brilliance.

So now he can rewrite Thai land law......wonderful.

Those who have not been condo committee members are expert on the subject. I will leave the landed gentry to their own preoccupations. Those who have performed the task for two terms can not contribute as we do not know enough to keep up with your brilliance.

Have you even looked at the ask the lawyer section ? Or even presented a rebuttal based on a reference from the condo act or thai law ?

But please carry one trying to insult people all you want

Edited by Soutpeel

Why would they be experts in Thai Law, which is what this is concerned with, surely the lawyer would be the expert? Or is it the assumption that because they have never had a problem re work permits etc that makes them expert. Perhaps it just makes them lucky.

SDM

Oh you got me, I did not read the source you chose to quote from. Did you read mine?

Well as a starting point my dear boy go and read the post on ask the lawyer section and see their opinion and if wish send them email disputing what that saying then do so obviously citing you are right cos you have served on a committee and I am sure if they agree with you, they will withdraw their remarks Edited by Soutpeel

""Even in the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami disaster, foreign volunteers working in the relief effort were warned to get work permits or risk facing penalties of three years in jail, a 30,000 baht fine, or both.”"

"One of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. I do not contest the statement, but the stupidity of the policy."

What do you think is so stupid about it?

I assume you weren't here then and don't know about many of the problems some volunteers were causing.

Way more trouble than they were worth.

What were they doing that was so bad exactly?

""Even in the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami disaster, foreign volunteers working in the relief effort were warned to get work permits or risk facing penalties of three years in jail, a 30,000 baht fine, or both.”"

"One of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. I do not contest the statement, but the stupidity of the policy."

What do you think is so stupid about it?

I assume you weren't here then and don't know about many of the problems some volunteers were causing.

Way more trouble than they were worth.

What were they doing that was so bad exactly?

Hurting Thai pride of being self-sufficient and able to look after themselves. Having receives donations was enough for Thailand.

Why would they be experts in Thai Law, which is what this is concerned with, surely the lawyer would be the expert? Or is it the assumption that because they have never had a problem re work permits etc that makes them expert. Perhaps it just makes them lucky.

SDM

It made myself and the rest of the committee the recepient of legal advice from the legal department of a management company that operates 100 condo buildings all over the kingdom. http://www.qpm-co.com/page/aboutEN.php

SDM

It made myself and the rest of the committee the recepient of legal advice from the legal department of a management company that operates 100 condo buildings all over the kingdom. http://www.qpm-co.com/page/aboutEN.php

Ok very nice website, but i missed the bit on there as to any statements about work permits can you direct me to this section please ?

Further why no comment about the post on the ask the lawyer section ?

Ok very nice website, but i missed the bit on there as to any statements about work permits can you direct me to this section please ?

Further why no comment about the post on the ask the lawyer section ?

I have a couple of observations;

1. I also cannot see any reference to the necessity to have, or not have, work permits on that link and it wouldn't matter if there was, I have posted the Law which would take precedence over anything else.

2. The lawyers you mention do not represent the committee members, they represent the condominium company and since the committee members are not their clients they have no duty of care or responsibility to the them.

3. In a normal situation an employer would be fined for employing a non-Thai without a work permit, but as I understand it the committee members would not be employed by the condominium company and therefore the company is protected. Therefore any advice given by the Condominiums lawyers to third party committee members cannot be depended on or used in Court by committee members as a defence, and the lawyers actual clients remain protected.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712
  • Like 2

Department of Land boys! Go ahead, run yourself in circles looking for daddy to approve your involvement in management oversight of a building of which you are a percentable owner (aka your home and property). I am certain you will find someone to drive a fee for you. Meanwhile, you who do not live in condos, presume to tell others what common practice is. A system that works flawlessly with 100 large condo building around Thailand does not expose the committee to risk and further no liability can come to a committee member who has acted in the best interests of the building. That last bit saves any committee from frivilous lawsuits from the senile or others with too much time on their hands.

Department of Land boys! Go ahead, run yourself in circles looking for daddy to approve your involvement in management oversight of a building of which you are a percentable owner (aka your home and property). I am certain you will find someone to drive a fee for you. Meanwhile, you who do not live in condos, presume to tell others what common practice is. A system that works flawlessly with 100 large condo building around Thailand does not expose the committee to risk and further no liability can come to a committee member who has acted in the best interests of the building. That last bit saves any committee from frivilous lawsuits from the senile or others with too much time on their hands.

As said before the department of land has nothing to do with work permits, the department of employment does.

Edited by FritsSikkink

......................Meanwhile, you who do not live in condos, presume to tell others what common practice is.

A system that works flawlessly with 100 large condo building around Thailand does not expose the committee to risk and further no liability can come to a committee member who has acted in the best interests of the building. That last bit saves any committee from frivilous lawsuits from the senile or others with too much time on their hands.

The Laws have been posted in full and are clear.

An opinion of a senior Thai official has been posted and is quite clear.

Laws take precedence over "common practice", and "common pratice" has never been a successful defence for mitigating Law breaking.

Lawsuits, if there are any will not be from the "senile ", they will be from Thai officials acting In their official capacity and performing their duties.

For all you chaps acting on committees the chances of you ever being prosecuted are remote, but don't kid yourselves, you are supposed to have a work permit and that has been shown beyond doubt. But I'm afraid there is no point in discussing this reasonably with anyone who feels that "common practice" makes it OK. It's akin to the excuse my 7 year old often gives when being caught out, " because he told me to do it"

" does the defendant have anything else to add ? "

"Well Your Judgeness I thought is was ok to do because everyone else does it, and they never had a problem"

SDM

Why are you getting all hysterical ?......this is actually an interesting debate, to date you have not posted or linked to anything which indicates a WP is not needed.

As requested previously please show where it says in the condo act or a department of land document which indicates a WP is not needed

Hysterical, no. Just impatient with the nonsence. Unless you wish to start a thread about how the Department of Land is breaking the law by recognising co owners who have been elected by an AGM in compliance with the 2008 Thai Condo Act to be on a condo committee. I say "heads should roll" at the Department of Land for this oversight. After all anything that is published in a newspaper somewhere must be the truth right?

• Like 1

Hysterical, no. Just impatient with the nonsence. Unless you wish to start a thread about how the Department of Land is breaking the law by recognising co owners who have been elected by an AGM in compliance with the 2008 Thai Condo Act to be on a condo committee. I say "heads should roll" at the Department of Land for this oversight. After all anything that is published in a newspaper somewhere must be the truth right?

I don't understand what point you are trying to make. I am attaching an English translation of the Condominium Act, updated until 2008. With your mention of the Department of Land "recognising co owners who have been elected by an AGM in compliance with the 2008 Thai Condo Act to be on a condo committee", to which section of the Condominium Act are you referring? What oversight should cause heads to roll at the Department of Land?

Condominium Act - 2522 1979 - updated until 2008.pdf

I see that the member qkd888, who started this topic, asked the question also in the forum Ask the Lawyer and got this answer:

Yes they require work permits to function in this capacity as it is considered employment, not having a work permit for this is considered illegal and you can be arrested.
  • Like 2

I don't understand what point you are trying to make. I am attaching an English translation of the Condominium Act, updated until 2008. With your mention of the Department of Land "recognising co owners who have been elected by an AGM in compliance with the 2008 Thai Condo Act to be on a condo committee", to which section of the Condominium Act are you referring? What oversight should cause heads to roll at the Department of Land?

attachicon.gifCondominium Act - 2522 1979 - updated until 2008.pdf

I guess if you need to understand better you had best re read the thread. It was the insistance of an individual who believes that he.....living in a house.....knows all about condo law. I tell you that the practice of co owners working in their own homes on benefitial items for their common residence do not require a work permit. Lawyers have been asked. Your lawyers do not agree with our lawyers. Our lawyers get paid by us and the lawyers you quote are looking for someone to pay them. It is the same with farang visa offices insisting that your passport is in violation to sucker you into a needless fee. How wide a net an attorney will cast to collect a fee is pretty wide. Committees are registered with the Department of Land and I do not care what any local ambulance chaser (or official who's office is now closed) might say in English to the media. English is not a legal language here. I did two terms of four years total on a condo committee.

Edited by Justanotherpassword

attachicon.gifCondominium Act - 2522 1979 - updated until 2008.pdf

I guess if you need to understand better you had best re read the thread. It was the insistance of an individual who believes that he.....living in a house.....knows all about condo law. I tell you that the practice of co owners working in their own homes on benefitial items for their common residence do not require a work permit. Lawyers have been asked. Your lawyers do not agree with our lawyers. Our lawyers get paid by us and the lawyers you quote are looking for someone to pay them. It is the same with farang visa offices insisting that your passport is in violation to sucker you into a needless fee. How wide a net an attorney will cast to collect a fee is pretty wide. Committees are registered with the Department of Land and I do not care what any local ambulance chaser (or official who's office is now closed) might say in English to the media. English is not a legal language here. I did two terms of four years total on a condo committee.

You can't help some people, just keep doing it and be so kind to let the head of the work permit office know (the office was closed 5 moths ago for a while because of the the actions against the then ruling government)

Edited by FritsSikkink