Owning a Gun

media

Does anyone know how a Thai person can legally own a gun for protection at home?
how to apply for a licence, where to buy the gun, anyone have a friend who legally owns a gun?

A friend of my wife lives alone in a large house out near HuaYai, a nice area but also known for burgulary/crime

I suggested that she should have some sort of protection at home after hearing that a friend of hers was sitting at home in her bungalow at 1am (sitting at her desk using the internet) a foot came through the roof just next to her and she sat there and watched a Thai man break through the roof and jump down to the floor in front of her! the cheeky burglar did not even check if the home owner was home/or asleep, luckily for her the guy (probably high on drugs) just ran straight out of the door and ran away after coming face to face with the very shocked woman..
I would appreciate some sensible info if anyone has any

I would also be very interested to hear the answers to this topic.

I would like to have a gun, but not to shoot people, burglars or not.

Just want to use it on the bloody dogs that they won't let me sleep all night, barking and howling and barking and howling.......going mad soonw00t.gif

• Like 1

Just want to use it on the bloody dogs that they won't let me sleep all night, barking and howling and barking and howling.......going mad soon:w00t:

You don't need a "gun" for that. A BB Gun or airgun would be enough...

but some people have been condemned for shooting on dogs or on pigeons for reason of cruelty on an animal...

• Like 2

Just want to use it on the bloody dogs that they won't let me sleep all night, barking and howling and barking and howling.......going mad soonw00t.gif

How about a paint ball gun?

Farang neighbour was having a whinge about a similar situation and voiced his thoughts about getting a paintball gun. Quick search on the internet and we found rubber balls with no paint.

He's very tempted.

Next trip back to blighty and I might bring one for him. Or are they available here?

PS Although we are on the same street, he's on a corner where the dogs like to get together and howl. Hundred yards away I can hear it, but nothing like the volume he gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Side weapons are not cheap due to taxes. 9mm auto starts at just over 100k for east European such as CZ. Colt, Beretta, Glock etc are 150K upwards.

You need to obtain permit to purchase from Tessabhan, this allows you buy, then you register the weapon at Tessabhan

Licence takes upto 6 weeks and cost is approximately 7K, this is for home use and allowing travel.

Ammunition isnt cheap, 9mm rounds 15 Baht each

Area close to Khao San in BKK has around 30 shops.

50% discount if purchaser is military, police etc. Some Thais have a friend purchase for them however ownership cant be transferred for 5 years

• Like 2

The Thai folk know how and where to get guns, both legally and otherwise. It is relatively easy to get a gun legally if they have a reason that the police will believe.

As to falang getting a gun, that is a different kettle of fish, very difficult.

Remember all guns are treated the same, so the BB gun has the same legal status as a rifle. Yes I know they are easy to get, but that does not make them legal.

The Thai folk know how and where to get guns, both legally and otherwise. It is relatively easy to get a gun legally if they have a reason that the police will believe.

As to falang getting a gun, that is a different kettle of fish, very difficult.

Remember all guns are treated the same, so the BB gun has the same legal status as a rifle. Yes I know they are easy to get, but that does not make them legal.

BB guns with metal pellets are illegal. Airsoft guns which use plastic balls are legal and can be legally imported as well.

Yes she can own a gun subject to the correct criteria, tell her to talk to her local amphur office to get the full rules and regulations, my wife was granted a license for a 5 shot pump action shotgun as we have 32 Rai in a village location.

Yes she can own a gun subject to the correct criteria, tell her to talk to her local amphur office to get the full rules and regulations, my wife was granted a license for a 5 shot pump action shotgun as we have 32 Rai in a village location.

How much a pump action shotgun goes for in Thailand ?

I'm not a gun nut though I admit I do own a gun in the US. However a gun of any size or caliber in the hands of one that's never handled or taken weapons training is not a good idea. I suggest installing a good burglar alarm with emergency call out capability. The perception being the harder the target the less likely the home will be invaded.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

1. Would she have found the gun before the burglar had legged it?

2. After pointing the gun at the burglar would she have pulled the trigger?

3. How would she feel after shooting a policeman who feel through the roof chasing a burglar?

Keeping a gun in the home carries a murder risk 2.7 times greater than not keeping one, according to a study by Arthur Kellermann. The National Rifle Association has fiercely attacked this study, but it remains valid despite its criticisms. The study found that people are 21 times more likely to be killed by someone they know than a stranger breaking into the house. Half of the murders were over arguments or romantic triangles. The study also found that the increased murder rate in gun-owning households was entirely due to an increase in gun homicides only, not any other murder method. It further found that gun-owning households saw an increased murder risk by family or intimate acquaintances, not by strangers or non-intimate acquaintances. The most straightforward explanation is that the presence of a gun increases the possibility that a normal family fight or drinking binge will become deadly. No other explanation fits the above facts.
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-kellermann.htm

Most of the things in the kitchen drawer can be used to kill even golf clubs have been used, even an empty booze bottle has been used in the past, do not trust anti gun people to ever give the true facts.

If you carry on down the report to the criticisms you can see what a bullish-t study this is designed to only give one outcome

Edited by pitchag

Obviously some TV members missed the edict of the junta demanding all registered or unregistered guns in the community be surrendered by June 10, 2014.

Therefore the entire discussion is moot.

Obviously some TV members missed the edict of the junta demanding all registered or unregistered guns in the community be surrendered by June 10, 2014.

Must have missed the announcement where they demanded registered guns to be surrendered.

Does anyone know how a Thai person can legally own a gun for protection at home?

how to apply for a licence, where to buy the gun, anyone have a friend who legally owns a gun?

A friend of my wife lives alone in a large house out near HuaYai, a nice area but also known for burgulary/crime

I suggested that she should have some sort of protection at home after hearing that a friend of hers was sitting at home in her bungalow at 1am (sitting at her desk using the internet) a foot came through the roof just next to her and she sat there and watched a Thai man break through the roof and jump down to the floor in front of her! the cheeky burglar did not even check if the home owner was home/or asleep, luckily for her the guy (probably high on drugs) just ran straight out of the door and ran away after coming face to face with the very shocked woman..

I would appreciate some sensible info if anyone has any

You must be an American to suggest such a thing to this woman. You know , she could buy a pepper spray to protect herself , other weapons to defend her could work as well, but no, you Americans can't live without a gun . No wonder why you have that many gun "accidents" in your land of "freedom".

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by balo

There is probably a female dog on heat, when this happens outside your house its a very noisy affair and can go on all night! bloody annoying

Side weapons are not cheap due to taxes. 9mm auto starts at just over 100k for east European such as CZ. Colt, Beretta, Glock etc are 150K upwards.

You need to obtain permit to purchase from Tessabhan, this allows you buy, then you register the weapon at Tessabhan

Licence takes upto 6 weeks and cost is approximately 7K, this is for home use and allowing travel.

Ammunition isnt cheap, 9mm rounds 15 Baht each

Area close to Khao San in BKK has around 30 shops.

50% discount if purchaser is military, police etc. Some Thais have a friend purchase for them however ownership cant be transferred for 5 years

Thanks for sharing this info..

The prices must have gone up a lot, a friend of mine paid 70,000 for a Glock 14 years ago (maybe he had a Thai cop to buy it for him..)

Must have missed the announcement where they demanded registered guns to be surrendered.

I guess that this topic is going to have to wait for the Junta to re allow guns.