Why Go To Harvard When You Can Opt For An Asian Ivy League?

Utley

As published in Forbes, the following is a list of the top 6 Asian Universities:

National University of Singapore - Singapore
University of Hong Kong - Hong Kong
Seoul National University - South Korea
Peking University - China
University of Tokyo - Japan
Tsinghua University - China
You will notice that ASEAN member countries are noticeably absent from the list with the exception of Singapore.
If Thailand is working toward a prosperous and productive future, this list should act as a wake-up call that the country most noted for its welcoming "vertical smiles" needs to work on education reform ASAP before history passes it by.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utley, I can partly understand what you are on about but, I would offer up an alternative … are the Thai people interested in actually learning English?

My thoughts are generally NO.

Indeed, why should they?

Why would they wish or want to be on a Forbes list?

There is a huge disconnect between your OP and your first post.

So, what is your take-out message.

Thailand needs better Universities so one can make it onto a list somewhere?

or

That retired folk in Thailand can do something to pass their idle time by conversing with the natives in English?

Not that the Thais don’t have an eye for the future.

The Thai niece is currently learning Chinese … Thailand’s largest and growing potential trading partner.

• Like 1

A good place for Thailand to start in regards to education reform (IMHO) would be to emphasize and facilitate the learning of conversational English. Thailand has a unique opportunity to do just that by tapping into its pool of native English speaking retirees living in the Kingdom. Many of the retirees would jump at the chance to teach conversational English on a volunteer basis in their local schools; however they are prevented from doing so by Thai immigration regulations.

Foreigners, who want to work in Thailand, be it for financial remuneration or on a volunteer basis, need a work permit. Foreigners in Thailand on a non-immigrant O visa with an extension of stay based on retirement are prohibited from obtaining a work permit.

A classic case of Catch-22; I am retired with time on my hands, English is my first language, I would love to help out my local Thai community – no I cannot because of immigration regulations. Can someone please explain the logic in that?

I am serious so no troll responses please but rather constructive, informative comments. (I know, I am asking a lot.)

The logic is thus, the purpose of your stay in Thailand is for retirement, hence the reason they don't want you working, if you really wanted to do this it could be done

I know of quite a few guys in Thailand who are on "retirement " visa's who have done work in Thailand, by changing over to a b visa get their WP and once job is complete go back onto retirement visa

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

A good place for Thailand to start in regards to education reform (IMHO) would be to emphasize and facilitate the learning of conversational English. Thailand has a unique opportunity to do just that by tapping into its pool of native English speaking retirees living in the Kingdom. Many of the retirees would jump at the chance to teach conversational English on a volunteer basis in their local schools; however they are prevented from doing so by Thai immigration regulations.

Foreigners, who want to work in Thailand, be it for financial remuneration or on a volunteer basis, need a work permit. Foreigners in Thailand on a non-immigrant O visa with an extension of stay based on retirement are prohibited from obtaining a work permit.

A classic case of Catch-22; I am retired with time on my hands, English is my first language, I would love to help out my local Thai community – no I cannot because of immigration regulations. Can someone please explain the logic in that?

I am serious so no troll responses please but rather constructive, informative comments. (I know, I am asking a lot.)

The logic is thus, the purpose of your stay in Thailand is for retirement, hence the reason they don't want you working, if you really wanted to do this it could be done

I know of quite a few guys in Thailand who are on "retirement " visa's who have done work in Thailand, by changing over to a b visa get their WP and once job is complete go back onto retirement visa

I find your claim rather difficult to believe. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand, the following is required for a Non-Immigrant B visa (note that the application has to be submitted to a Thai Consulate outside of Thailand):

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Business Visa) is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom to work or to conduct business.
(1) Foreigners who wish to work in Thailand must provide the following documents:
- Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months.
- Completed visa application form.
- Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.
- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).
- Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labour. To obtain this letter, the applicant’s prospective employer in Thailand is required to submit Form WP3 at the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour Tel. 02-2452745, or at the Provincial Employment Office in his or her respective province. More information is available at www.doe.go.th/workpermit/index.html
- Copy of Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Labour and alien income tax or Por Ngor Dor 91 (only in the case where applicant has previously worked in Thailand).
- Corporate documents of hiring company in Thailand such as:
1) business registration and business license
2) list of shareholders
3) company profile
4) details of business operation
5) list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions
6) map indicating location of the company
7) balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30 of the latest year)
8) value-added tax registration (Por Por 20)
- Document indicating the number of foreign tourists (for tourism business only), or document indicating export transactions issued by banks (for export business only).
- An alien who receives a Non-Immigrant visa can work in Thailand once he or she is being granted a work permit. An alien in violation of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning taking up employment without work permit or the Royal Decree B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning holding employment in certain restricted occupations and professions shall be prosecuted and imprisoned or fined, or shall face both penalties.
- It is recommended that the applicant should apply for visa at the Thai Embassy/ Consulate in the country where he/she has the residence
Nobody in their right mind would jump through all those hoops just to help out at their local school.

I find your claim rather difficult to believe. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand, the following is required for a Non-Immigrant B visa (note that the application has to be submitted to a Thai Consulate outside of Thailand):

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Business Visa) is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom to work or to conduct business.

(1) Foreigners who wish to work in Thailand must provide the following documents:

- Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months.

- Completed visa application form.

- Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).

- Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labour. To obtain this letter, the applicant’s prospective employer in Thailand is required to submit Form WP3 at the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour Tel. 02-2452745, or at the Provincial Employment Office in his or her respective province. More information is available at www.doe.go.th/workpermit/index.html

- Copy of Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Labour and alien income tax or Por Ngor Dor 91 (only in the case where applicant has previously worked in Thailand).

- Corporate documents of hiring company in Thailand such as:

1) business registration and business license

2) list of shareholders

3) company profile

4) details of business operation

5) list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions

6) map indicating location of the company

7) balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30 of the latest year)

8) value-added tax registration (Por Por 20)

- Document indicating the number of foreign tourists (for tourism business only), or document indicating export transactions issued by banks (for export business only).

- An alien who receives a Non-Immigrant visa can work in Thailand once he or she is being granted a work permit. An alien in violation of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning taking up employment without work permit or the Royal Decree B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning holding employment in certain restricted occupations and professions shall be prosecuted and imprisoned or fined, or shall face both penalties.

- It is recommended that the applicant should apply for visa at the Thai Embassy/ Consulate in the country where he/she has the residence

Nobody in their right mind would jump through all those hoops just to help out at their local school.

Believe it dear boy

• Like 1

If you are living in a small village you can teach English on an informal basis with the help of the village headman and maybe the local Temple. No one is going to report you if they endorse your activities.

If you are in one of the larger Cities there are plenty of orphanages you can help out in. I know what the law says but you really don't need a work permit in practice.

• Like 1

Utley, I can partly understand what you are on about but, I would offer up an alternative … are the Thai people interested in actually learning English?

Indeed, why should they?

or

That retired folk in Thailand can do something to pass their idle time by conversing with the natives in English?

The Thai niece is currently learning Chinese … Thailand’s largest and growing potential trading partner.

My take-out message is this. "Life is tough. It is even tougher if you are stupid!"

If Thais want an easier life, one of the best ways to achieve it is through education. The Kingdom has a free, ready and untapped resource at its fingertips that it is not using; namely English speaking retirees.

If you are living in a small village you can teach English on an informal basis with the help of the village headman and maybe the local Temple. No one is going to report you if they endorse your activities.

If you are in one of the larger Cities there are plenty of orphanages you can help out in. I know what the law says but you really don't need a work permit in practice.

Agree. Or if you don't want to teach everyday you can go to most any public school and ask if you can

come "visit" a classroom one or two afternoons a week....I often have lunch with a bunch of kids in the

cafeteria at the public high....just sit at a table with a bunch of kids or walk around and try and get

them to speak English with you. Go to the public school and ask to meet with the head of the English

department and I would bet you will be invited to help out on a volunteer basis and there will be little or no concern about work permits. As said, nobody is going to report you unless you are some kind of

pervert or piss all the thai teachers off.

• Like 1

Agree. Or if you don't want to teach everyday you can go to most any public school and ask if you can

come "visit" a classroom one or two afternoons a week....I often have lunch with a bunch of kids in the

cafeteria at the public high....just sit at a table with a bunch of kids or walk around and try and get

them to speak English with you. Go to the public school and ask to meet with the head of the English

department and I would bet you will be invited to help out on a volunteer basis and there will be little or no concern about work permits. As said, nobody is going to report you unless you are some kind of

pervert or piss all the thai teachers off.

It only takes one pi**ed off Thai teacher to report you to immigration. That is why I stopped my volunteer work at the local school; not because I was reported but because I could be reported.

Walk around a school cafeteria and try to engage the children in a conversation? Really? Remember it only takes one suspicious parent to report you to the local authorities. Do you really want to be picked up on suspicion of pedophilia in a country where you have no civil rights?

Walk around a school cafeteria and try to engage the children in a conversation? Really? Remember it only takes one suspicious parent to report you to the local authorities. Do you really want to be picked up on suspicion of pedophilia in a country where you have no civil rights?

I think you are being a bit paranoid but I know you can't even say to a western woman she has a beautiful baby nowadays without her freaking out. It's sad. But you can be picked up on a pedo rap with a work permit. Go and talk to a school or whatever they'll put you straight and there are plenty of civil rights here believe me.

I have had five work permits from 3 provinces while on an extension of stay (retirement) so you can get a work permit if you apply for it and have all the paperwork.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As said but not read...check with the head of the English department FIRST....of course you don't just show up

without permission. Maybe have a thai teacher sit with you and the kids in the cafeteria if you are concerned about appearances. It's always easy to find excuses NOT to do something like visit the school, volunteer to help the kids practice speaking English etc. It's also easy to figure out how to contribute by getting to know the head of the

English department and following her suggestions. If YOU do see or suspect someone of being a pervert than all the

better that you are there to bring it to the attention of the thai teachers.

• Like 1

Indeed, why should they?

or

My take-out message is this. "Life is tough. It is even tougher if you are stupid!"

If Thais want an easier life, one of the best ways to achieve it is through education. The Kingdom has a free, ready and untapped resource at its fingertips that it is not using; namely English speaking retirees.

Thais don't want to learn and speak English. Why do English speaking people believe than being able to speak English is the be all and end all to everything

• Like 2

Indeed, why should they?

or

Thais don't want to learn and speak English. Why do English speaking people believe than being able to speak English is the be all and end all to everything

Perhaps they realize that they won't be taught Chinese in their life time?cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Naa...the Chinese language is too hard even for the superior beings!thumbsup.gif

-snip-

And, the Chinese conduct world trade in English. How else can they do trade with dozens of countries unless there is a common language?

No child in China can graduate from secondary school and enter uni without mastering English.

Can Thais then speak Chinese and Chinese speak Thai?

English is the language of world trade. Much of the world's knowledge is available in English on the internet. Anyone who doesn't know English, and who wants to come off of the farms and out of the mines will need English.

The Chinese can't do international biz in Chinese and they know it. If you go to China you'll do biz in English just like the Germans and Italians and Spanish and all others do.

• Like 1

Now, on a more serious tone, it's hard to get into any one of these, not any easier than into Harvard!

Some of my old high school classmates in Thailand got turned down by Harvard because their parents were not alumni though they had academic excellence. For the above-mentioned institutions, there are long queues, not as easy as you think!

-snip-

And, the Chinese conduct world trade in English. How else can they do trade with dozens of countries unless there is a common language?

No child in China can graduate from secondary school and enter uni without mastering English.

English is the language of world trade. Much of the world's knowledge is available in English on the internet. Anyone who doesn't know English, and who wants to come off of the farms and out of the mines will need English.

The Chinese can't do international biz in Chinese and they know it. If you go to China you'll do biz in English just like the Germans and Italians and Spanish and all others do.

Speaking Chinese makes it a lot easier to do business. There are so many Chinese everywhere that it is often a hassle for them to do business with non-Chinese speakers. I know you will point of how they are stupid for behaving this way etc but it does not change reality. Depending on what industry you are in, speaking Chinese can be a hude advantage.

-snip-

Oh, don't we all know this already? Certainly, in your and my life time, we won't see international dealing done in any other language other than English. But, who knows in decades or centuries to come. But, one thing I do know is English-speaking people think no other language is necessary to learn while at the same time other people, like the Chinese, can master your language than many of the so-called native English speakers. Superiority complex doesn't help any culture especially it's in a decadent mode! Look at some other threads!

-snip-

The vast majority of people from mainland Europe don't speak English, yet they are not stuck on farms or in mines.

Utley, I can partly understand what you are on about but, I would offer up an alternative are the Thai people interested in actually learning English?

Indeed, why should they?

or

Not that the Thais dont have an eye for the future.

The Thai niece is currently learning Chinese Thailands largest and growing potential trading partner.

But you know as well that ANY thai who can speak read and write good english has alot more opportunities available to make way more than an average salary. Tourism, business, education etc......if that Thai person would as well study about the does and donts of, i know it is a generalisation, of western people, the oyster becomes even bigger. This can even be applicable for other languages. I think thais like money so i wonder still why not many make the effort, as it seems to me.

-snip-

The vast majority of people from mainland Europe don't speak English, yet they are not stuck on farms or in mines.

Oh yes we do!

How do the Spanish communicate with the Greeks you think?

But yes, we wish the British would put in some effort to learn other languages too, like the rest of us.

-snip-

And yet ironically, the vast majority of folks from mainland Europe or anywhere in the world do speak English to each other on this forum. Why is that? I don't see anyone positing an arrogant 'English is the superior language' stance. What has been said in reference to learning English giving one an advantage in Business and Academia (and science also for that matter) is true. It's just the way it is, to deny it is laughable, and if you have kids it's also denying them opportunity.

• Like 1

-snip-

Oh yes we do!

How do the Spanish communicate with the Greeks you think?

But yes, we wish the British would put in some effort to learn other languages too, like the rest of us.

I would suggest that most Spaniards never have a need to speak with Greeks or other people that use a different language. I would suggest that you yourself are in a job or grew up in an area where you were exposed to English language users, maybe a tourist area even.

How many of your friends or relatives that are not from a tourist area, or never worked in a company where English is required can actually speak English ?