Got a ticket today 1000 baht

yankee99

Returning to pattaya after picking up my bike in bkk which was loaded in the back of my isuzu. I was exiting the first toll on 3 where a flock of bib were working.

He showed me a bunch of pics of loaded trucks and my style truck had a red circle. Not sure if it is ok to load with a net on it but he spoke zero english. He also pointed out my tax sticker ran out on the 15th. Originally he said i need to go get my license at the station but i told him i lived in chonburi they conveniently had a crew of money takers inside.

I noticed a thai lady inside also paying a summons started to take a pic and they got really angry at her...

1000 baht and i was on my way.

I drive BKK to Samut Prakan 3 times a week. Cops always pull trucks and bikes but in 4 years doing this route regularly I have never even been stopped in a sedan, let alone fined.

A farang in a truck carrying a bike must be like a dream come true for these muppets. 3 birds, 1 stone. Was tea money not an option?

Do you know , or can you find out , why you were done ?."Fine for no tax is 400 Baht , so the other 600 Baht ?.I intend to carry my road legal dual/sport and enduro bikes in the rear of a pick-up (Ranger) and the tail-gate will need to be down due to the bikes length. They will be "ratchet strapped" down and a cargo strap net (not the elastic ones!) will be across their rears. Rear lights and no-plate of truck will still be visable. No fillet steak for you this week ! 555. EDIT I typed too slow - just saw new posts !.

Edited by nigel jeffrey

Do you know , or can you find out , why you were done ?."Fine for no tax is 400 Baht , so the other 600 Baht ?.I intend to carry my road legal dual/sport and enduro bikes in the rear of a pick-up (Ranger) and the tail-gate will need to be down due to the bikes length. They will be "ratchet strapped" down and a cargo strap net (not the elastic ones!) will be across their rears. Rear lights and no-plate of truck will still be visable. No fillet steak for you this week ! 555.

I cant read thai but can post a copy of the ticket here.

It's my understanding that the load needs to be covered and the tailgate up. Apparently you can't carry people in the bed either...have even seen them pull over a truck with a cap that had people in the back. Can't guarantee that was the actual infraction in that instance though.

It's my understanding that the load needs to be covered and the tailgate up. Apparently you can't carry people in the bed either...have even seen them pull over a truck with a cap that had people in the back. Can't guarantee that was the actual infraction in that instance though.

Where you can seat people also depends on the color of your number plates.

If you have green plates, you can't even have passengers on a rear seat inside an 'extended' cab pickup.

It's not a weird law it's to stop fridges, fans, mattresses and all other sorts of crap flying off the back of pick-up trucks into your windscreen whilst the locals are traveling up and down the Country. Nets I believe are not allowed but why would you use a net when it could rain.

• Like 2

It's not a weird law it's to stop fridges, fans, mattresses and all other sorts of crap flying off the back of pick-up trucks into your windscreen whilst the locals are traveling up and down the Country. Nets I believe are not allowed but why would you use a net when it could rain.

We are talking about a load which is secured by ratchet straps. Now we need to worry about a tarp blowing off and blinding a following car.

• Like 1

We are talking about a load which is secured by ratchet straps. Now we need to worry about a tarp blowing off and blinding a following car.

I know but it's the law. Difficult to make a law that covers all eventualities. Thais always have loose stuff laying around in the back of their trucks.

Not difficult at all. My law would be if your load is oversize or improperly secured you get a violation. If all is secured properly you are on your way.

Define properly and how will the BiB decide if there are enough tie downs of sufficient tensile strength?

Not difficult at all. My law would be if your load is oversize or improperly secured you get a violation. If all is secured properly you are on your way.

Define properly and how will the BiB decide if there are enough tie downs of sufficient tensile strength?

A valid question!

But hey, we all know this is not about laws and road safety.

If it was about laws and road safety, the drunk / helmless / overloaded would not be allowed to drive on after paying the "fine".

• Like 1

My question is ? If you have a net are you ok? Also is a net cover required for all cargo of a certain height?

First cover the load with a tarp....a cheap blue and white striped one will do. Then cover that with an elastic octopus net.

I have 2 elastic octopus net which can come in handy for higher loads.

The one in the pix isn't exactly what I have.....but I couldn't get a a pix of the ones I have!

post-63954-0-20367200-1403139194_thumb.j

My question is ? If you have a net are you ok? Also is a net cover required for all cargo of a certain height?

First cover the load with a tarp....a cheap blue and white striped one will do. Then cover that with an elastic octopus net.

The one in the pix isn't exactly what I have.....but I couldn't get a a pix of the ones I have!

attachicon.gifCropperCapture18.jpg

The reason i ask is a tarp will rub and possibly damage nice paint when flapping in the wind.

Do you know , or can you find out , why you were done ?."Fine for no tax is 400 Baht , so the other 600 Baht ?.I intend to carry my road legal dual/sport and enduro bikes in the rear of a pick-up (Ranger) and the tail-gate will need to be down due to the bikes length. They will be "ratchet strapped" down and a cargo strap net (not the elastic ones!) will be across their rears. Rear lights and no-plate of truck will still be visable. No fillet steak for you this week ! 555. EDIT I typed too slow - just saw new posts !.

I didn't think carrying a motorcycle on the back of a pick up was permitted on the elevated toll-roads.

Is that true?

Been stopped on the 359 between Sa Kaow and Wattana Nakhon for having the tailgate down and NO red rag/cloth. Paid the 200 baht tea-money. Then was stopped again about 5 minutes later on the same road for the same reason. No receipt so it looked like another 200 baht but to my surprise, we told the BIB we had just paid 200 baht to his mate back down the road and he let us go. I now have a red t-shirt in the back stowage bin ready for if and when.

Another occasion I was stopped on a back road in Lahan Sai. Tailgate down but with red flag/warning cloth attached. BIB said 200 baht for having the tailgate down. No my misses replied, we have our red cloth and he let us go.

Amazing Thailand !

This man is correct. On the motorway what he said. Covered load and no passengers in the back. Often I see the motorway police cars pulling over people in pickups before they get to the toll booth. I mention this just in case some here may think that the police do not do their jobwhistling.gif

attachicon.gifCropperCapture18.jpg

The reason i ask is a tarp will rub and possibly damage nice paint when flapping in the wind.

OOOH DIDDUMS-------- If its going to damage your lovely paint,why not tie the F*%ing I mean flapping thing downcheesy.gif