Harley-Davidson unveils its first electric hog

bazmlb

harley-davidson-electric-bike.jpg

Harley-Davidson unveiled its first electric motorcycle Thursday, and promised it will still sound really cool.

The sound is a distinct part of the thrill, chief marketing officer Mark-Hans Richer said in a news release. Think fighter jet on an aircraft carrier.

The electric Harley, dubbed Project LiveWire, isnt for sale yet. The iconic motorcycle manufacturer kicks off a promotional tour next week to give customers a chance to test the bike, which it says will have all the edge of a gas-guzzling hog.

Harley-Davidson (HOG)plans to incorporate consumer feedback into the final version of the bike.

The promo tour will kick off on June 23 at a Manhattan dealership, where the company will launch its entire electric fleet.

We will have 33 LiveWire motorcycles riding the streets of New York next Monday, a company spokeswoman said.

The tour will stop at 30 Harley dealerships around the United States. Its slated to continue into 2015 in both Canada and Europe.

The bike runs on batteries that can be recharged by plugging into an electrical outlet, she said. The company plans to eventually establish docking stations around the country.

The spokeswoman would not say when the bike will go on sale or how much it would cost.

Read more: http://www.automotivefocusgroup.com/harley-davidson-unveils-its-first-electric-hog

[afg][/afg]

Too funny.

What are they going to do? Clothespin playing cards against the spokes like a kids bicycle ;-)

The most aggressive model will have authentic audio recordings of "Grunt" Klutzwitz, of the Hell's Angels, Altamont Chapter, warning other road users to "get the <deleted> outta mah way", at 120 decibels.

Middle range models will have recordings commensurate with more modest pricing.

However doubt if the HD old guard will accept a bike that is fast can go around corners and doesn't make a lot of noise.

cheesy.gif

Quite hum saves lives?

#1 complaint about the new electric Harley? "It sounds like a tattoo machine"?

Does it need on of these to get it started?

AIGUILLON-COURT-MES-01.jpg

Edited by VocalNeal

However doubt if the HD old guard will accept a bike that is fast can go around corners and doesn't make a lot of noise.

cheesy.gif

Quite hum saves lives?

#1 complaint about the new electric Harley? "It sounds like a tattoo machine"?

Does it need on of these to get it started?

AIGUILLON-COURT-MES-01.jpg

Neal that's another million dollar idea you've blown. A Harley with a built in tattoo machine.

Serious performance but limited range I suspect. But, a step in the right direction environmentally although an analysis of the benefits of near zero emissions to the environmental cost of providing electrical recharge should be provided along with battery final life and replacement costs.

Serious performance but limited range I suspect. But, a step in the right direction environmentally although an analysis of the benefits of near zero emissions to the environmental cost of providing electrical recharge should be provided along with battery final life and replacement costs.

Since gaskets were never HD's forte just think of all the gearbox and engine oil that won't be spewing out all over the World.

• Like 2

Too many questions to form an opinion... How many kw for the motor, is it geared or direct drive, amp hours and voltage for the battery packs? Price point will probably be between $25k - $30k USD...

High energy density batteries don't last forever as Prius owners are finding out. Not so sure they are any better for the environment than good ole gas-gulping.

If a Harley with it's trademarked sound bleating "look at me! listen to me! (please.....)" starts sounding like ear hair trimmer, what's the point? Then just be like any other too large, clumsy unfit for Thai roads overpriced toy for guys who dream they are still young and foolish. Got it half right.

I thought the whole point about owning a Harley was the noise it makes, the way it shakes and the big exhausts and all that. None of that with an electric version, nobody wants it....

Yes the noise factor, burning of passengers leg on exhaust, not impressed on Harley Davidsons, reliability factor...seem more accidents and deaths on Harley...Heavly Dangerious..new term. Bikes that can not turn in traffic, while I have my PCX easly passing them..oh yes my SilverWing 600cc leaves them in the dust...sure they catch up with the whole frame of bike shaking, while I set in comfort..slowing down to let them pass....oh how they like the old technolgy, carburators and oil leaks...they live in pass..

Not sure how Harley Davidson present owners will look towards electric..or in days pass why would anyone want a computer..portable phone..what..ok look back 15 yrs and see what people thought as odd is present day acception...Time will tell and long before we leave this state of existance... Lets jump forward 20 years and here is the talk of the day....flying helicopters for personal journey. Harley Davidson introduced first Nucular fuel cell bike.....oh yes last weekend went to visit the space station on Virgin space shuttle...great experience...Ya see we change with the times do not let you think your not changing...everyday brings you closer to the end of the begining of life's journey...

All you typical nay sayers are really showing your age. Time to reinvent yourselves.

With age comes wisdom lad, knowing that the whole concept is total crap, let alone this particular execution.

If you are right and this is the future, I can image how Hollywood will update.... BIG BAD e-BIKERS "A 50-strong Hell's Angels gang terrorise quiet suburbia, while they wait for their bikes to be charged up.

I have a question HerbalEd...."Why?"

And all the same old same old statements from people who have never owned or ridden an HD.. all the old stereotypes.

Where is any other companies - like Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Ducati, BMW - electric bike?

Give it a rest.

Maybe the makers you mentioned don't find it financially viable.

As 30 k usd maybe more is a big price to pay and you need to change that huge battery after a while so combination of all these might deferred some makers you mentioned.

Anyway it looks like a show bike and no hard core Harley rider buy this sure apart from young moviestars.

But I liked the idea and fully support Harley on doing different things.

Edited by ll2

Yes I agree with the positive replies, nice from Harley to make something completly different than the ever lasting V-Twin.

Just wait and see what will be on the market 10-20 years from now, well I off-course don't know for sure but I doubt it will petrol engine driven bikes/cars.