Robbed by landlord - what should I do?

skyhi

Hi all,

Two weeks ago my landlord came into my room here in Chiang Mai to fix the bed. A few days afterwards I discovered approx 8 grand had been taken from an envelope in my drawer - leaving 4 grand behind. For various reasons (visa run and ill health of my partner) I postponed asking them about it until 2 days ago, when I took a very softly softly approach, hoping to give them a chance to blame it on someone else, and give them the opportunity to 'discover' the money and return it. This did not happen. The landlord got very angry when my boyfriend questioned him about what might have happened and claimed that anyone could have picked the lock. Yesterday I had a long talk with the landlady woman to woman and she claimed it was totally impossible that it could have happened..stating clearly that she did not believe it had happened, and stating that the fact that not all the money was taken means it couldnt have been a robbery, but must be a mistake on my part.

I really don't know if it is worth going to the police, when clearly it will be denied completely and I can't prove anything. Does anyone have any advice for me about this, whether to just let the thing go completely, or make plans to move out and then go to the police. Just not sure if it will achieve anything except a lot of stress.

By the way, I am a young farang woman and I speak Thai well enough to walk into a police station and explain the situation. Don't think the landlord's family is 'connected' but of course can't be sure.

Would be grateful for any comments you might have, I'm really not sure if the police will even give me the time of day....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, probably best to ask the mod's to change the title of this thread. If for any reason the owner wants to persue this, 8000B will be the least of your problems.

Please make sure before you accuse someone that you are accusing the right person, it will save you a lot of headache afterwards

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for the comments, it helps to remove any doubt that anything can be done about it. As for accusing directly - not something I would ever think of doing, no matter how sure I may be. Yeah - schoolboy error leaving cash in the room at all, should know better by now!

PS are you serious that this post can be seen as an allegation CMSteve? - i'm assuming it's under conditions of anonymity/hypothetical question. I guess you mean if the guy himself was to see it, right?

Ok, thanks for the comments, it helps to remove any doubt that anything can be done about it. As for accusing directly - not something I would ever think of doing, no matter how sure I may be. Yeah - schoolboy error leaving cash in the room at all, should know better by now!

PS are you serious that this post can be seen as an allegation CMSteve? - i'm assuming it's under conditions of anonymity/hypothetical question. I guess you mean if the guy himself was to see it, right?

CMSteve is normally pretty sensible. perhaps he missed something in the post or was in a hurry. no names have been mentioned....no worries skyhi......

but seriously....move on. nothing can be done. don't leave cash around in the future....

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Your landlord is right, anybody could have done it.

What should you do? Do not leave large amounts of money in a drawer, try to find a better place. Do not go to the police accusing your landlord. Write it off and move on.

Open a savings account, if you don't already have one, with an ATM card

and the facility to deposit at any time in a cash deposit machine anywhere.

So easy

• Like 2

If you cant prove anything, then how are you so sure that it was the landlord who stole it? He may argue that it could have been your partner. If it was 8000 Baht and not usd or euro etc the best is to write it off as a lesson learned

"CMSteve is normally pretty sensible" Thats an outright lie!

It's highly unlikely that your landlord will ever see this... But there is always the chance that a friend of a friend...etc will talk about seeing a farang complaing that their landlord came in and stole 8000B... Just best not to put any direct accusations in writing.

CMSteve is normally pretty sensible. perhaps he missed something in the post or was in a hurry. no names have been mentioned....no worries skyhi......

but seriously....move on. nothing can be done. don't leave cash around in the future....

• Like 1

really sorry to hear that anotheroneamerican. trust is everything. i've also seen family robbery (in the thai side of my family).

and amykat - awful experiences. my partner and I did business in India for a number of years, so I've been through similar.

to contextualise, the BF is British and brings in more income than I do, so it just doesnt make sense that he would be a suspect, even if I didn't trust him

• Like 1

really sorry to hear that anotheroneamerican. trust is everything. i've also seen family robbery (in the thai side of my family).

and amykat - awful experiences. my partner and I did business in India for a number of years, so I've been through similar.

to contextualise, the BF is British and brings in more income than I do, so it just doesnt make sense that he would be a suspect, even if I didn't trust him

If you have shared finances and can see how much he is spending and on what, Thailand would provide him reasons for wanting money you can't see him spending.

• Like 1

HI skyhi,

Thanks for you post. I have to say, I expected your b/f was a local guy. So, yes, this makes it more unlikely, I suppose? I hope!! LIke AOA, I also was married to an American man, a very successful guy, and he did also steal from me/us, and plot and plan a lot of sleazy things, that I would never have expected, and 10 years later, still am totally amazed/shocked.

So, I guess I wouldn't rule it out, but I would think it is less likely if he is British. I want to say something more, but afraid I will get in trouble here, so I will leave it at that.

Lucky it was a relatively small amount of money, and maybe you should just get a safe, and keep your stuff there anyway. I find it good for important papers, any jewelry I brought to Thailand, so it isn't just sitting around for any person to take, including a casual burglar, it is good to keep some amount of cash here, (I think, in case, you lose your ATM card, or the network goes down, or floods, or coups, or whatever) or when I vacation I lock even more things in there ...someone can take it, but it is a lot of effort, as I have one that takes 4 men to move ...I have always had this even in the US, and have been successful this way.)

If you have shared finances and can see how much he is spending and on what, Thailand would provide him reasons for wanting money you can't see him spending.

Yes, like my American husband, had a secret apartment to pay for and furnish, and the most SHOCKING to me, he had a THIRD car ...a total EXTRA car that he drove around, while living his "other" secret life, parking that at his apartment, driving his g/fs around in it, so they couldn't leave any evidence in one of our cars, etc. And the story only gets worse from there!!

I thought I woke up in a movie one day, when the cards started to fall. A very bad, bad movie!!!

• Like 1

Sorry about your loss. Also sorry I don't have a tale of woe. I have never been stolen from here in Thailand. Other than probably paid to much a couple of times.

I have and still do keep[ money in the room where with a minimum of effort a burglar could get it. Never had it happen. I do however have it in a locked cabinet that would take a few minutes to break into.

I would just wright it off. You have made the landlord aware of the fact that you suspect money was taken and if it was him he would be very hesitant to do it again. If I really believed it was him I would be looking for a new place to live. If you paid a deposit that might be hard to get back. Which in turn would show you the kind of people they are.

What ever you do I wish you the best.wai.gif

hi anotheroneamerican,

yeah interesting, he has been a bit flush recently.....

just kidding, we have shared finances anyway ;-)

My wife of 20+ years stole money from me. We also had shared finances.

My children have stolen money from me.

Not to mention my accountant, cashier, etc.

Don't dismiss it as an option.

Gambling, drugs and just plain greed do funny things to people.

Throughout my life I have found the only people that haven't tried to steal from me (excluding my parents) are those that didn't have the opportunity.

If I were to order the people most likely to steal money from someone,

no.1 would always be the lover.

no. 2 other family members.

A landlord would be way down the list for theft, but high on the list for hidden cameras..

One time, my wife sent our son to go with me into the safe deposit vault. It look me a while to figure out why. Earlier, she said a Buddha amulet embroidered in gold frame with studded diamonds and a set of gold coins were missing in the pile. Yeah, she didn't want me to have private money beside OUR money!

yes indeed a very out of pocket school GIRL error

• Like 1

About 2 decades ago, more than 10 ounces of gold disappeared from home after my wife showed her nephew some of our jewelry. Her nephew was on drug then. What lost were gold necklaces, pendants, bracelets, etc given to her by my parents. Yes, the bulk of the pile was left untouched including a jade bracelet from the Han Dynasty. My gold Corum watch was also gone. All the glittering stuff!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

yes indeed a very out of pocket school GIRL error

I spotted that as well, she also said she is a farang girl and her husband is British, yet she has a Thai side to her family that stole from her. Very strange

Bank account with ATM and a safe deposit box for rarely used heirlooms, house book and maybe even a wad of greenbacks just in case. If you want some easily available cash around the house I'm sure one can find a good place to hide 10 thin 1000 THB bills.