Thai fishery producers want to hit back after US human trafficking downgrade

webfact

Gotta give it to the Thais, the lengths they can go to defend a blatant crime when caught out.

They do love a good whine of how unfair being caught is and after pretend theres some kind of uncalled for insult to their reputation when its slapped all over the place evidence and all its been going on for years. And we are supposed to feel sorry for the fishing vessels or captains doing it ? tough luck should have thought of that while buying and selling and/or killing these slave labourers then, couldnt care less if they go out of business, its nothing to what some have done to their workers.

I hope they make a real big deal over it, the bigger the better..... go on strike, refuse to supply prawns or fish chum see how that goes, the world and media is watching and running out of patience with hearing excuses.

Well said! it is time Thailand cleaned up its act in a lot areas that are rather unsavoury! extend this to low paid workers working in factories for pittance and BAR BOSSES who pimp out ladies! low lifes the lot of them

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

typical thainess, blame the countries that have pointed out the truth about what they are doing, the fact that it is all true is beside the point because they are losing face and money because of it. Maybe if they cleaned up these illegal industries it would not happen but that would remove a lot of their profits and money comes before illegal activities that they are doing. Corruption is simply too rife in a lot of areas here and the laws are not helping it.

To bad that you can't slap a defamation charge on the U.S and guardian to silence them and keep everything under the carpet. Must be really eating away at them.

Normally cleans up all the problems. Hit the critics and non believers with a writ and there is silence and it's life back to the way we like it. Money, money, money.

typical thainess, blame the countries that have pointed out the truth about what they are doing, the fact that it is all true is beside the point because they are losing face and money because of it. Maybe if they cleaned up these illegal industries it would not happen but that would remove a lot of their profits and money comes before illegal activities that they are doing. Corruption is simply too rife in a lot of areas here and the laws are not helping it.

.Defamation laws are corruptions best friend.
  • Like 2

The Thai military government should step in here in the Thai fishery trade. It's not a public relations problem. It's a criminal activity and racketeering issue. The Thai military should step in and clean it up. Put a few Thai generals in charge of each association and plant and figure out what they are actually doing to hide activity and traffic in humans. The Thai military should be talking to workers as well. Get at the truth. Stop the crime in Thai fisheries.

For now the Military rule appears to be attempting to 'clean up' many things. And I currently am one of their biggest fans. However, this being Thailand, how long will these things actually stick?

I am feeling that it will be only a matter of time before various high ranking individuals will slowly come to figure out how to once again circumvent authority and line their pockets, as has been going on for so many years, decades, etc. You can't change the nature of Thai.

What is Thainess?

;)

Edited by Travel2003

Too bad when your business is in the shrimp industry (hatchery) like my company. Nothing to do with slaves, i use all Thai people and they are paid and treated properly. So yeah I agree with all the reports but punish those who commit crimes not the industry. How would you feel if you were punished because your nefew commited a crime??

• Like 1

At the risk of continually repeating ourselves here on TVF, if Thailand wishes to compete on the world stage, it must comply by the rules set by the international community , not Thailand's rules , Thailand continually breaches international standards on all levels from People trafficking , refugee's, environmental, drug trafficking, international labour requirements etc, it is not good enough to apply Thai logic, this is not exceptable and it is time for Thailand to step up, be counted and show some maturity.coffee1.gif

While I agree with you, a thought comes to mind. Why cannot Thailand do these things? China is doing many of these things and look what fine economic progress it is making.

Edited by wwest5829

At the risk of continually repeating ourselves here on TVF, if Thailand wishes to compete on the world stage, it must comply by the rules set by the international community , not Thailand's rules , Thailand continually breaches international standards on all levels from People trafficking , refugee's, environmental, drug trafficking, international labour requirements etc, it is not good enough to apply Thai logic, this is not exceptable and it is time for Thailand to step up, be counted and show some maturity.coffee1.gif

While I agree with you, a thought comes to mind. Why cannot Thailand do these things? China is doing many of these things and look what fine economic progress it is making.
Because it takes hard work, planning and a strong work ethic. In other words, it's not 'sanuk'.

To bad that you can't slap a defamation charge on the U.S and guardian to silence them and keep everything under the carpet. Must be really eating away at them.

They can sue in America just hire a good Thai lawyer.

Also they should teach American a lesson and never sell them their fish products

America needs them they do not need America they can sell it Africa India and China

Image Image Image, that's all that matters. Time to grow up if you want to play in the "Real World"

Maybe the RTN could help with ensuring standards are met, oh, forgot they are busy elsewhere.

The RTN!! The only image they have is the flag of the Templars! (I have to be careful!) thumbsup.gifwhistling.gif

Can we vote to have Ameriiiiiccccaas removed from this earth... Peace for everyone.

Typical kill the messenger if you don't like the messenger. You want peace. If you were slave on fishing boat would you have same opinion? I doubt it. If you want peace, work for justice.

Also they should teach American a lesson and never sell them their fish products

America needs them they do not need America they can sell it Africa India and China

Yeah that's gonna teach America a real lesson - We aren't gonna sell your our shrimp. Maybe Al-Qiada should have thought of that? Would have brought America to its knees overnight!

"We [Thai seafood manufacturers] need to convey correct information to the public after the British newspaper 'The Guardian' and the US accused Thai food and related industries of employing illegal workers," he said."

I think you mean exposed rather than accused.

How are you going to explain the murders committed on these boats? Yes,MURDER!

How many workers had seen one of theirs being murdered? Because throwing someone overboard is also murder.

Clean up and take action. Stop crying like a kid that's not allowed to bully anymore.

You have been warned for many years and did not do enough. You did not take it serious. Now your industry has to action, and fast. Otherwise you will feel it.

It is not that difficult. It's a question of will.

Answer is Easy!! To enable your Catch to be sold... You must be a "Certified" Member of Thailands Fishing Industry. Where your required to show Documentation relating to the Status of your Vessels Crew. (It must be on file that your crew is legal and each and everyone has a Current Working Permit!!

Those Boats and Crews that are not Members would be Barred from Selling their Catch to Any of the Registered Thai Seafood Manufacturers. Unless they have followed the steps to file the status and proof of Current Working Permits being issued to every member of their Crew.

Any of these Vessels would be required to produce proof if Boarded at anytime to check Status. If in non-compliance existing Catch or what ever is in the Holds of the offending Ships be scuttled ASAP! on the spot and Nets be conficated.

Would completely voice Directives and Deem message would be heard clear across S.E. Asia. In every industry!!

This is a big PR opportunity for the junta. Acknowledge that under the previously corrupt but democratically elected administration this practice was allowed but that the new administration will ensure it is stopped immediately.

And thanks awfully for bringing it to our attention. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Too bad when your business is in the shrimp industry (hatchery) like my company. Nothing to do with slaves, i use all Thai people and they are paid and treated properly. So yeah I agree with all the reports but punish those who commit crimes not the industry. How would you feel if you were punished because your nefew commited a crime??

I feel for you and yours, sadly an industry has many parts and innocent people in it will feel the pain. When an industry has to change for any reason there are always casualties I hope your not one of them.

Maybe look at it this way, your industry has a real problem mainly in the fishing fleet. some in packing no doubt but less so. If it were me id be writing and lobbying whoever you need to bring about change and regulation checks and put these elements that affect your industry in line.

Maybe you can use your position of fair wages and employment as an example of a preferred supplier if you get in front of the right people get that allocation ?

• Like 1

Poj Aramwattananont, president of the Thai Frozen Foods Association, said all associations agreed to show the truth of Thai shrimp industry and related industries today.

Wouldn't that be interesting... but I'm not sure the Thai Frozen Foods Association is the best source for the truth concerning labor conditions in the industry.

The Guardian report was not based on facts, he claimed, as the source of its article was a non-Thai fishing boat and not an association member.

By this logic, because the article reported on a non-Thai, non-association member, the article could not have been factual. What sense does that make?

Edited by DeepInTheForest

Mongkol Sukcharoenkana, deputy president of the National Fisheries Association of Thailand, said the association would reorganise the fishing boat and fishing system soon to prevent illegal labour problems.

My question is, why wait until now? If the industry has been supporting slave labor and abuse of refugee labor for decades, why all the concern now? Why has this impotent man all of a sudden become very concerned? Is his wallet being affected? Are his abusive clients now feeling the brunt of international outrage? What gives here? Get a life. Do something, and stop jabbering. Man up. Do the right thing for once in your life.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And next they could also sue the EU and refuse to do business with them as the EU is doing essentially the same thing.

As America is the world's #2 buyer of Thai exports, and a major provider of civilian and military items to Thailand, and has a major manufacturing presence in Thailand,

I think it would be a very could idea for Thailand to cut of all economic activity with America (and The EU.) Thailand would turn into another Bangladesh in about 72 hours.

• Like 2

"We [Thai seafood manufacturers] need to convey correct information to the public after the British newspaper 'The Guardian' and the US accused Thai food and related industries of employing illegal workers," he said."

I think you mean exposed rather than accused.

How are you going to explain the murders committed on these boats? Yes,MURDER!

How many workers had seen one of theirs being murdered? Because throwing someone overboard is also murder.

Clean up and take action. Stop crying like a kid that's not allowed to bully anymore.

You have been warned for many years and did not do enough. You did not take it serious. Now your industry has to action, and fast. Otherwise you will feel it.

It is not that difficult. It's a question of will.

Answer is Easy!! To enable your Catch to be sold... You must be a "Certified" Member of Thailands Fishing Industry. Where your required to show Documentation relating to the Status of your Vessels Crew. (It must be on file that your crew is legal and each and everyone has a Current Working Permit!!

Those Boats and Crews that are not Members would be Barred from Selling their Catch to Any of the Registered Thai Seafood Manufacturers. Unless they have followed the steps to file the status and proof of Current Working Permits being issued to every member of their Crew.

Any of these Vessels would be required to produce proof if Boarded at anytime to check Status. If in non-compliance existing Catch or what ever is in the Holds of the offending Ships be scuttled ASAP! on the spot and Nets be conficated.

Would completely voice Directives and Deem message would be heard clear across S.E. Asia. In every industry!!

I can think of only about 15 ways the illegal catches could be laundered through legal producers. The problems are corruption and a complete disregard for human rights.

This is a law enforcement issue which should be handled by the Navy at sea. Now lets see how corrupt the Navy is, and if it's really possible that the Navy actually delivers slaves to the fishing boats and collects a fat bounty for it.

This is a big PR opportunity for the junta. Acknowledge that under the previously corrupt but democratically elected administration this practice was allowed but that the new administration will ensure it is stopped immediately.

And thanks awfully for bringing it to our attention. thumbsup.gif

The world already knows that the Junta are involved in human trafficking and making money off the human flesh. The world knows that the Junta are suing people for making this public.

Hardly a PR opportunity for them more like their dirty laundry.