Thailand Tourism Confidence Index dips to lowest level

webfact

Tourism confidence index dips to lowest level

BANGKOK, 24 June 2014 (NNT) – The Thailand Tourism Confidence Index has plunged to a new low at 87 points in the second quarter of this year, the lowest since 2011.

Tourism Council of Thailand (TCC) President Piyaman Techapaibul said the drop reflected an increase in concerns by business operators over the political situation. The council had expected that the index would continue to decline in the second quarter from the first quarter.

Ms. Piyaman expressed confidence that index should rebound to 95 points in the third quarter as measures and reforms implemented by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) are set to improve the business sentiment in the country. Some of these measures include the crackdown on illegal business operators and reorganization of public vans and buses.

The council is hopeful that by the next quarter, the tourism sector could expand by 5 percent and foreign tourist arrivals can reach 6.84 million. The TCC forecasted that overall tourist arrivals this year could stand at 26.84 million, up from 26.6 million last year.

The council noted, however, that the European Union’s travel advisory for Thailand can significantly impact the European tourist market, which accounts for 17 percent of total tourist arrivals in Thailand. For this reason, the council is coordinating with the Tourism and Sports Ministry in holding more talks with EU representatives to let them better understand Thailand’s political situation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-24 footer_n.gif

Thai tourism likely to pick up in 2nd half of year
By Digital Content

140360140450-640x390x1.jpg

BANGtKOK, June 24 -- The Tourism Council of Thailand expects growing tourism in Thailand in the third and fourth quarters of this year and the number of foreign visitors to the country should nearly reach the target of 27 million.

Council president Piyaman Techapaiboon said that tourism operators' confidence was low in the second quarter because the survey on their opinions had taken place before the national administrative takeover by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

She now believes that tourism will start to improve in the third quarter as the Peace and Order Council is restoring confidence among foreign tourists and investors.

Ms Piyaman said if restoration of confidence continued, 6.84 million foreigners would visit Thailand in the third quarter, rising by 5.23 per cent, and 7.85 million would come in the fourth quarter which would be the peak period of arrivals.

Consequently overall foreign arrivals would reach 26.84 million this year, increasing by 1.09 per cent, and Thailand should generate Bt1.26 trillion from their visits.

The Tourism Council of Thailand head said Thai authorities should boost foreign visitors' confidence regarding safety in the country and take special care of tourists from China, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia and India who formed a big group of foreign visitors. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-06-24

For this reason, the council is coordinating with the Tourism and Sports Ministry in holding more talks with EU representatives to let them better understand Thailand’s political situation.

Might be a bit hard when they are now barred from coming here whistling.gif

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-junta-disappointed/1195754.html

With the press Thailand is currently receiveing in Europe rest assured there will be no dramatic improvement anytime soon in numbers.

• Like 1

For this reason, the council is coordinating with the Tourism and Sports Ministry in holding more talks with EU representatives to let them better understand Thailand’s political situation.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-junta-disappointed/1195754.html

With the press Thailand is currently receiveing in Europe rest assured there will be no dramatic improvement anytime soon in numbers.

Expect they meant Thai officials would go to the EU (good reason for a trip to Europe) versus EU representatives coming to Thailand. But regardless, any visits by Thai officials will fall upon deaf ears in the EU.

I chatted with some of my German hotel guests just now who had been visiting Phi-Phi islands. I assumed that the islands would still be very busy with tourists.

Apparently not so. The 20-room, beach-front hotel was running at about 20% occupancy. That was a surprise to me.

I think you would be quite surprised to learn how difficult it is to book seats on flights to Thailand later this year.

I have just booked up and my choice of seats was very limited but I have no hesitation in going to Thailand and feel as safe if not safer than visiting America or many European Countries.

I do believe the Junta is giving people more confidence to travel, not less.

No way. I went to three online booking sites for September, October and November and half the seats for a huge number of flights were available, What posh airline are you booking on?

Edited by FangFerang

For this reason, the council is coordinating with the Tourism and Sports Ministry in holding more talks with EU representatives to let them better understand Thailands political situation.

I think you would be quite surprised to learn how difficult it is to book seats on flights to Thailand later this year.

I have just booked up and my choice of seats was very limited but I have no hesitation in going to Thailand and feel as safe if not safer than visiting America or many European Countries.

TAT need you as a spokesperson.

I guess you have been here a few times before?

Not quite sure why a military occupation would inspire confidence?

Just being honest with MY opinion and yes I have been to Thailand many many times over the last 30 years.

In 2010 when the Red Shirts were blocking streets etc I still visited 4 times.

If Suthep was still causing problems on the streets of Bangkok I may have decided against going this year.

The military occupation make me feel safe from him and his crowd of rioters

I travel TG 916/917 once a month and its been empty for months now. Often less than half full.

What do you mean choice of seats? Are you seriously suggesting that the amount of seats available was limited or simply they were expensive? (theres a big difference in the two) perhaps you could name the dates so we can see you are talking nonsense.

Glad you feel safe yourself, but most tourists are giving it a bye ball, particularly as travel insurance issues still remain.

• Like 1

So what is the truth. One day truism is good and another day miserable. these guys really have no clue what is going on

Do they really forget what they said only a day or two before then come out with another statement which, no doubt, they expect to be believed ?

• Like 1

I think its more complex than just the coup, external factors really need to be taken into consideration, world economy, its not as it was , people all over the world have been hit with higher costs of living , and the first industry to be affected in thailand is tourism 10% of gdp.

• Like 2

". . .the Tourism and Sports Ministry in holding more talks with EU representatives to let them better understand Thailand’s political situation".

They understand it very well. That's the problem.

• Like 1

Still seems to be fair number of confidence men and women operating here, some are even on tourist visas, so I don't quite understand. They can talk with all the ministers in EU they want (and get to go on nice junket to boot!). But the "boots on the ground" tourists make up their own minds to come or not.

Yes apparently the EU would prefer the political turmoil and killing to peace.

I thought just yesterday their were articles in the paper saying that tourism had rebounded in the last 7 days....

It has.

This report was based on the second quarter and has nothing to do with today's tourism. Governments are bound by their own prejudices. They can not sanction a military take over no matter how good it is for a nation. Travel agents are not bound by these restrictions.

Fundamental changes need to be made. Unfortunately, those changes cannot be mentioned here. Such a disconnect with reality. If you do not have access to international news, how can you plan on improving the situation. So perhaps, these announcements are only meant to lull you into thinking - "Everything is Alright... Everything is Aaaaaall right...." Repeat after me...