Trying to upgrade SUV - Frustrating

tczack

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kia in Chiang Mai has a large workshop attached - never seen anyone in there though.

It's a little disconcerting when the official Kia Thailand website is basically a Facebook page; and that the Kia Sorrento looks suspiciously like a Chevy Capiva in drag.
The Chevy isn't fit to wipe the Kia's butt.

No idea only seen one on the road

Is the Toyota 'TR' Transformer an upgrade ?

Yes the New Subaru Forester, [just under 1.9 million] also the New Subaru Outback [just under 2.6 million] both 4x4 both also have side airbags and curtain airbags

Edited by ignis

No idea only seen one on the road

Is the Toyota 'TR' Transformer an upgrade ?

Yes the New Subaru Forester, [just under 1.9 million] also the New Subaru Outback [just under 2.6 million] both 4x4 both also have side airbags and curtain airbags

So does top-spec Isuzu MU-X for about 1.5M.

A new Fortuner will be way different with stuff than the ride you have now......thumbsup.gif

Like what?

The ride no longer used a limited slip differential, traction control is controlled by a completely redesigned braking system, in other words wheel spin is stopped by the brake on that wheel. Also now has VSC, vehicle stability control. Many user controls have been moved the the steering wheel, so making stuff more user friendly. The auto box now has 5 gears and the HP is up a bit.

I've seen couple of nice looking Toyota Harriers on the road recently in Thailand. Not much info available on the internet and the info that is available suggests it's only a 2L version for Thailand. Even though I've only caught quick glimpses of this model, it looked quite nice and similar to the larger Mazda and Lexus SUVs. I will be hoping to buy another motor myself later this year - so this thread is quite useful. I think the largest Mazda SUV is only available via import and is maybe above 3L, but the price seems disproportionate to the other Mazda Models ?

I've seen couple of nice looking Toyota Harriers on the road recently in Thailand. Not much info available on the internet and the info that is available suggests it's only a 2L version for Thailand. Even though I've only caught quick glimpses of this model, it looked quite nice and similar to the larger Mazda and Lexus SUVs. I will be hoping to buy another motor myself later this year - so this thread is quite useful. I think the largest Mazda SUV is only available via import and is maybe above 3L, but the price seems disproportionate to the other Mazda Models ?

The CX-9 is an import, and also in the worst excise tax bracket. The Harrier is also an import, but in a more favorable excise bracket due to it's smaller engine.

Note that the Harrier is not an official import though - it's more luxurious brother the Lexus RX is however, but as an import still gets 80% duty applied.

Had an out of body experience today when I went to the Isuzu dealer in Pattaya (Second Road) and the salesgirls were actually friendly, spoke decent English, and seemed genuinely interested in selling me a vehicle. At most dealers in the area, they just stare at the farang and are either terrified of speaking the English they have supposedly learned all those years in school or completely disinterested and can't be bothered to break away from their Line conversation to assist a customer.

Anyway, after getting over the shock of a warm greeting, I had a look at the MU-X that they had for test driving. It was the top spec navigator model and I wanted to look for overall interior size and appointments. I was very sorry to learn that even this 1.4M model doesn't come with cruise-control (as the Oz model does). The friendly lady said Thais don't want to pay extra for that feature, which they aren't' familiar with and don't use. I was unfamiliar with it and didn't use it much either, until I bought a car that had it like 30 years ago! In any case, the MU-X was a bit of a disappointment to me. The interior materials looked really cheap, especially the leather/pleather or whatever seat material they were using on this 1.4M vehicle. Of course, the interior plastics were mostly hard as well, though the center console and temp controls are well done. Even with the 17" wheels on this top-line version, they look tiny in the MU-X's huge wheel-wells. I said I will come back next year at model upgrade time, when maybe the cruise-control will be on offer.

The CX-9 is an import, and also in the worst excise tax bracket. The Harrier is also an import, but in a more favorable excise bracket due to it's smaller engine.

Note that the Harrier is not an official import though - it's more luxurious brother the Lexus RX is however, but as an import still gets 80% duty applied.

Do you know how much duty is applied to the Harrier - and if there are any plans to produce it here ? Surely, at some stage, there must be a new SUV Model from Toyota.....the Fortuner must be 7 years old ++ already - right ?

Do you know how much duty is applied to the Harrier - and if there are any plans to produce it here ? Surely, at some stage, there must be a new SUV Model from Toyota.....the Fortuner must be 7 years old ++ already - right ?

This old post is still current info:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/435479-taxes-on-cars-in-thailand/

The excise tax system is due for revamp in 2016, but nothing yet passed in legislation.

As far as I know, there are no plans for Toyota to produce anything other than the Fortuner SUV in Thailand.

http://www.one2car.com/TOYOTA_HARRIER/E22140587

That's a pretty gaudy interior...should fit right in with the Louis 14th Empire furniture the Thais who buy these cars fit out their living rooms with. Of course, being grey market, they're also no official maintenance, parts, or repair services.

The Harrier and Fortuner are completely different animals.

The Fortuner is a pickup based vehicle. Any new model is likely to be around about the time of a new Vigo. (Originally the Fortuner was actually the first of the Vigo/innova/Fortuner range to be announced)

The Harrier and Fortuner are completely different animals.

The Fortuner is a pickup based vehicle. Any new model is likely to be around about the time of a new Vigo. (Originally the Fortuner was actually the first of the Vigo/innova/Fortuner range to be announced)

That's a pretty gaudy interior...should fit right in with the Louis 14th Empire furniture the Thais who buy these cars fit out their living rooms with. Of course, being grey market, they're also no official maintenance, parts, or repair services.

The Harrier is being advertised by Toyota in CM so I doubt there's no support for it.

The Harrier is being advertised by Toyota in CM so I doubt there's no support for it.

I don't see it listed on Toyo's website so I doubt any official service. Maybe the dealer took one in for trade so has a model for sale.

Had an out of body experience today when I went to the Isuzu dealer in Pattaya (Second Road) and the salesgirls were actually friendly, spoke decent English, and seemed genuinely interested in selling me a vehicle. At most dealers in the area, they just stare at the farang and are either terrified of speaking the English they have supposedly learned all those years in school or completely disinterested and can't be bothered to break away from their Line conversation to assist a customer.

Anyway, after getting over the shock of a warm greeting, I had a look at the MU-X that they had for test driving. It was the top spec navigator model and I wanted to look for overall interior size and appointments. I was very sorry to learn that even this 1.4M model doesn't come with cruise-control (as the Oz model does). The friendly lady said Thais don't want to pay extra for that feature, which they aren't' familiar with and don't use. I was unfamiliar with it and didn't use it much either, until I bought a car that had it like 30 years ago! In any case, the MU-X was a bit of a disappointment to me. The interior materials looked really cheap, especially the leather/pleather or whatever seat material they were using on this 1.4M vehicle. Of course, the interior plastics were mostly hard as well, though the center console and temp controls are well done. Even with the 17" wheels on this top-line version, they look tiny in the MU-X's huge wheel-wells. I said I will come back next year at model upgrade time, when maybe the cruise-control will be on offer.

Yeah I was also disappointed in lack of CC and cheap plastic. I did like the seating arangment however not enough to go back to a vehicle with no CC. Will wait for the fortuner upgrade.. thumbsup.gif

I don't see it listed on Toyo's website so I doubt any official service. Maybe the dealer took one in for trade so has a model for sale.

Honda in CM had a billboard on Mahidol road not too far from Central Airport with a big 'Coming Soon' advertising them.

Honda in CM had a billboard on Mahidol road not too far from Central Airport with a big 'Coming Soon' advertising them.

Honda are now advertising new Toyota models? :P

• Like 2

I just visited the Isuzu and Mitsubishi dealers.
Isuzu - I had an Isuzu Rodeo in the US many years ago, and it was fantastic. The MUX looks good, but is made of thing metal, thinner plastic appointments, and just feels like it will fall apart in months.
Went to look at the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport. Much better build quality. Doors feel solid, plastic feels twice as sturdy as the Isuzu, and I walked away very impressed.
But am thinking I might wait for new Fortuner model, which may finally be a new design, in Q1 next year.
Still need to go see the Mazda, and look again at the Subaru, but I think both are too small for what I want.

Maybe the new Honda Odyssey? It would be nice if the Harrier was imported officially...what's the grey market price for a Harrier?

Sorry. I confuse the 2, now that they're as dull as each other. :)
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eb7VhTUheo#t=92 new xtrail off road test looks much smoother than how I drive my truck lol

Except for the log bridge, I think my drive from Foodland in Pattaya to my house on the Darkside is more off-road than this test track! Gotta say that the new X-Trail looks like a nice ride...like the styling much better than the CRV or CX5. I hope it gets to Thailand soon as I'm in the market for a new SUV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eb7VhTUheo#t=92 new xtrail off road test looks much smoother than how I drive my truck lol

Except for the log bridge, I think my drive from Foodland in Pattaya to my house on the Darkside is more off-road than this test track! Gotta say that the new X-Trail looks like a nice ride...like the styling much better than the CRV or CX5. I hope it gets to Thailand soon as I'm in the market for a new SUV!

Yes I know the drive from Chaiyapruek 2 to Foodland through the back roads well. Pot hole heaven! Btw have they managed to finish the left hand turn lane from Hua Yai onto Sukhumvit yet? That 2 week job was still not finished 7 months ago when I moved back to Bangkok and if one had the misfortune of taking the unfinished portion turning left, which looks and feels like it was hit by a B52 carpet bombing raid, one would be lucky to come out of it with their sedan in the same shape as it was before entering it.

CX 5 is nice. Never been a big fan of the CRV.