Courier Service From Uk

naka

My brother recently tried to send my credit card to me in Thailand

by DHL who told him they do not accept credit cards in their mail.

I checked on their website but there was no mention of any such

restrictions, the only similar restriction was on sending cash.

Anyone have any experience with other couriers ?

Naka.

My comment is not quite on subject but I have a UK VISA card account. The registered address has changed several times as I have moved locations outside of UK but cards- to replace expired items -have always been sent to me. The last occasion was to Saudi Arabia by DHL.

Now my card has expired, and the credit card company has refused to send a replacement to Thailand because too many cards are being intercepted and used by fraudsters. They even wrote to me and said that they were closing my account which really peed me off since I have had the account for over 35 years and have been a model customer. Afetr some wrangling, they have agreed to keep my account live but I will now have to collect replacement cards from a designated bank the next time that I visit UK. I even tried to change my billing address to a valid UK address and have the cards sent there but, that was not accepted.

I am sympathetic with the need to guard against card fraud but this is at the expense of the customer. The same company claims that they will provide replacement cards in the event that the original are lost or stolen but I presume that does not include Thailand.

I do not want to commit to a Thai Bank credit card when I already have an account that I can use 'on-line'. What experience do other posters have on this vexing problem?

Naka.

leisurely:

Have it sent by recorded delivery,I've had 3 of mine arrive no problem.

If its a new ( unused) card then normaly you have to phone the credit card company to activate it before it can be used, so it wont be much good to anyone if it was stolen in transit.

If its not new then..... well your taking a bit of a risk but probably not much more risk than letting someone in a shop "swipe" the card with one of those card readers.

PS get the PIN number sent by email,sms or in a seperate envelope.

Edited by johng

Presumably, your statement applies to cards forwarded from a UK registered address? Why 'recorded delivery'? Do you mean Registered mail by UK Post Office (or whatever they call themselves now!)

My card is 'Chip and PIN' type, introduced by the credit card company to reduce fraud yet they still wont send it through the mail even though, as you say, activation is required.

Have it sent by recorded delivery,I've had 3 of mine arrive no problem.

If its a new ( unused) card then normaly you have to phone the credit card company to activate it before it can be used, so it wont be much good to anyone if it was stolen in transit.

If its not new then..... well your taking a bit of a risk but probably not much more risk than letting someone in a shop "swipe" the card with one of those card readers.

PS get the PIN number sent by email,sms or in a seperate envelope.

My comment is not quite on subject but I have a UK VISA card account. The registered address has changed several times as I have moved locations outside of UK but cards- to replace expired items -have always been sent to me. The last occasion was to Saudi Arabia by DHL.

Now my card has expired, and the credit card company has refused to send a replacement to Thailand because too many cards are being intercepted and used by fraudsters. They even wrote to me and said that they were closing my account which really peed me off since I have had the account for over 35 years and have been a model customer. Afetr some wrangling, they have agreed to keep my account live but I will now have to collect replacement cards from a designated bank the next time that I visit UK. I even tried to change my billing address to a valid UK address and have the cards sent there but, that was not accepted.

I am sympathetic with the need to guard against card fraud but this is at the expense of the customer. The same company claims that they will provide replacement cards in the event that the original are lost or stolen but I presume that does not include Thailand.

I do not want to commit to a Thai Bank credit card when I already have an account that I can use 'on-line'. What experience do other posters have on this vexing problem?

Naka.

I've had a very similar experience to Peter - probably with the same credit card company. They wanted to close down my account unless I could collect new cards in person. Curiously, they would NOT agree to send the cards to my UK bank but insisted that they be sent to a UK residential address - I used my sister's address. Even more curiously, I also needed to renew my bank debit cards and the bank (very similar name to the credit card company) was quite happy to send the cards to a UK branch (but not to LoS). Not too much consistency there!

In the event, as I was taking a break in UK anyway this was not too much of an inconvenience. There will have to be a repeat performance in three years however.

Maybe off-shore banks are a bit more flexible - after all they are there to service the needs of ex-pats. Anyone know if this is the case? Perhaps they could be persuaded to courier out credit cards as well as debit cards. Surely they must have some means of getting cards to foreign parts.

DM

I have always believed that you should send important documents of a small nature by ordinary post.

Why advertise the fact that it is important, and not just Aunt Fanny's weekly letter, by registering/recording etc the post?

I bank with Lloyds in the UK, I have never had a problem with them sendnig me cards (replacements when expired, replacements when lost or replacements when I had my card cloned).

I've had cards sent to Thailand serveral times, Singapore, Japan and recently Italy. Why should it be a problem? The card is inactive until you receive it and confirm receipt by answering a string of security qestions over the phone.

In the past I had a card issued in Switzerland. Instead of mailing them to me, the card company just gave all details to their Bangkok-office who in turn issued the card locally (with all original detils, of course) and hand delivered to me.

Presumably, your statement applies to cards forwarded from a UK registered address? Why 'recorded delivery'? Do you mean Registered mail by UK Post Office (or whatever they call themselves now!)

Yes that's what I meant...have your cards sent to a trusted person in the Uk who then forwards them to you in Thailand via registered/recorded delivery.

I have had the account for over 35 years and have been a model customer

If they treat you like this then they deserve to loose your custom...please let us all know what bank it was so we can avoid them. :o

I bank with Lloyds in the UK, I have never had a problem with them sendnig me cards (replacements when expired, replacements when lost or replacements when I had my card cloned).

I've had cards sent to Thailand serveral times, Singapore, Japan and recently Italy. Why should it be a problem? The card is inactive until you receive it and confirm receipt by answering a string of security qestions over the phone.

Lloyds wants me to pay 30 pounds for courier delivery of cards due to 'high levels of lossage' or some such twaddle. Thankfully I can wait to pick them up next time I'm in the UK. I've yet to lose mail here, including several parcels with highish declared values from mail order purchases. I wonder if postage problems and theft occurs in the last leg and it depends on where you live?

have your cards sent to a trusted person in the Uk who then forwards them to you in Thailand via registered/recorded delivery.

The Royal Mail can only track registered items in the UK, once they arrive at their destination, ie - Thailand, it's up to the local postal service to treat that item as registered. But sometimes the foreign service don't because of the costs. So they get treated as normal post.

But if something gets stolen, then they (RM) will be responsible for paying the compensation. Then they'll get the money back from the foreign postal service, hopefully. :o

Lloyds wants me to pay 30 pounds for courier delivery of cards due to 'high levels of lossage' or some such twaddle. Thankfully I can wait to pick them up next time I'm in the UK. I've yet to lose mail here, including several parcels with highish declared values from mail order purchases. I wonder if postage problems and theft occurs in the last leg and it depends on where you live?

Abbey National Offshore will courier credit cards to Thailand (will not mail) as i did it myself but the charge is USD 50.

American Express will issue your replacement overseas card through the Bangkok office. I collected mine personally.

Is there any reason why no-one's willing to mention the names of these banks?

Ok, it was Barclays and Barclaycard that were giving me the problems. I have banked with them for more than 40 years and have had visa and mastercard accounts for a very long time. It's only inertia that's stopping me from ditching them both as I don't consider that I'm getting a particularly good service from either organisation.

Anyone had any relevant experiences with HSBC? I do hear some good things about them.

DM

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that's what I meant...have your cards sent to a trusted person in the Uk who then forwards them to you in Thailand via registered/recorded delivery.

I have had the account for over 35 years and have been a model customer

If they treat you like this then they deserve to loose your custom...please let us all know what bank it was so we can avoid them. :o

Sorry, I've been off-line for a while so I'm late in replying.

The card company is BARCLAYCARD (VISA) run by Barclays Bank UK. They will not send cards (to replace expired items) to Thailand. They have refused to send them to my UK address. I bank with HSBC not Barclays.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

If you have an offshore account with HSBC they post it via registered mail but the UK branch won't do it.

Best way I've found is to get it sent in a CD case, I get the junk ones from computer mags sent to me with the card inserted under the levered up bit between the insert, no problems.

We use Lloyds. Now have the card which is chip and pin. Thailand seems to be lagging behind a bit with it though. We were in a restaurant in Silom and I paid with the card, the woman asked me what my secret number was. I said I'll put it in the machine, she said no just tell me and I'll do it. Not on your nelly was my reply. She really couldn't (or wouldn't) see that 'secret' meant secret :o