Buffet Staff Attempt to limit me to Three Plates?

deknoiJT

i was at as bbq buffet with a group of thais one never finished what was on her plate so they made me pay double for her after taking p;ate away cheers allan

wifey and I know not to pile my plate too high, so that I always am handy to finish what she cannot.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think yes unless limits (portions, times, etc.) are clearly posted. The penalties for food wastage (also clearly stated) can be considered a limitation on unlimited food as well.

So, would you consider yourself free to act like a glutton at a wedding buffet? If not, why is an hotel buffet different?

They are not the same thing at all so I won't waste my time even bothering to answer such an irrelevant question.

That's a pity, because I'd like to understand why some people think it's OK to stuff their faces at a restaurant/hotel buffet but not at a wedding buffet - even if held in the same restaurant or hotel. The only difference I can think of is that at a wedding buffet the bride's parents pay, whilst at an hotel it's the customer. Why should that difference mean that one can acceptably become an antisocial glutton at one venue, but not at the other?

In either case, if someone takes all the foie gras, smoked salmon, caviar, lobster leaving others without then that person is an antisocial cad, beyond the pale, and deserves to be cast out.

• Like 2

They are not the same thing at all so I won't waste my time even bothering to answer such an irrelevant question.

That's a pity, because I'd like to understand why some people think it's OK to stuff their faces at a restaurant/hotel buffet but not at a wedding buffet - even if held in the same restaurant or hotel. The only difference I can think of is that at a wedding buffet the bride's parents pay, whilst at an hotel it's the customer. Why should that difference mean that one can acceptably become an antisocial glutton at one venue, but not at the other?

In either case, if someone takes all the foie gras, smoked salmon, caviar, lobster leaving others without then that person is an antisocial cad, beyond the pale, and deserves to be cast out.

Ooh, pick me, pick me. I know the answer...

I know everyone at the wedding. I know not a soul at the restaurant buffet. Where do you think I give a rat what they think about my eating habits?

Edit: to be fair, you had part of the answer. Some wedding caterers charge by the plate, others charge by the (for example) shrimp. Not sure it's good sport to pound down a plate stacked high with shrimp at $5 each, and I'm not crass enough to ask the father of the bride how the food was priced out. So I eat before the wedding, or after the wedding, and just nibble at the wedding.

Edited by impulse

a Mr Creosote in the making w00t.gif

...but I've always been prompted by my close Thais, to not eat like a farang.

A farang fills plate to overfilling and gorges in bursts ( I am visualising Homer Simpson's tactics here)

A Thai puts a bit on their plate, and comes back again, again, again, and... again, and again...

Do it the Thai way, and your eating experience won't be questioned wai.gif

Another Thai way is to order the cheapest dish that includes unlimited salad bar and take the main home untouched after 20 trips to said salad bar.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

At Sizzler you can get just the salad bar ( unlimited ).

geez BBT, I look at that junkf bah.gif , and wonder if at least the coleslaw, just the coleslaw, can be made edible, converting it into a somtum w00t.gif

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

This thing started downhill from the beginning and went worse from there....could belong in the - you know you've been in Thailand too long thread....insulting one another - strangers all day long because there is nothing better to do....pretty soon you'll run out of measuring sticks......the topic was killed a long time ago......

• Like 1

geez BBT, I look at that junkf , and wonder if at least the coleslaw, just the coleslaw, can be made edible, converting it into a somtum

Seriously? That's the food of the Gods. That's what they served on special occasions on Mt Olympus back in the old Greek days. Or was it the Romans? I forget.

To make one truly homesick, here is a pic of said food.

I'm long overdue a kilo of craw-daddies and Andouille sausage from Bourbon Street. http://www.bourbonstbkk.com/

A little off topic, but I doubt it can hurt this thread the direction it's been going: Do they fry up catfish and hush puppies there at Bourbon Street?

Yes, download the menu from the weblink even better than that pic. Been going there for years.

• Like 1

mmmh - seeing some pecan pie made me want to curtail my wallpoling activities and partake of a bit... ...as i just came over ratherr peckish...licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

you have seen nothing about buffet till you go to islam wedding i have attended many wedding in malay past years

you sit around drinking red cordial till finish vows etc then allowed to hit buffet

if old will get downed in rush like pigs to trough

manners never heard off cheers allan

ATF, do you suck the heads of said crawdads?? Some folk say that is the best part with all of the fatty brain tissue.

Mrs ATF eats the heads I just eat the tails.

geez BBT, I look at that junkf bah.gif , and wonder if at least the coleslaw, just the coleslaw, can be made edible, converting it into a somtum w00t.gif

JUNK FOODw00t.gif , that my dear man is southern food at it best. A piece of pecan for dessert.

pecan-pie.jpg

Junk food :P

Those 3 breadcrumbed, things next to what appears to be revolting coleslaw are over cooked, well certainly the crumbing is

No I am not a chef, but I do watch Gordon Ramsey on occasion and have picked up the technical terms like "F off you useless pri**k". :lol:

You seem to have lumped all people together who attend a buffet under the one banner.

Whether you are an 'innocent invited guest or an 'insidious' paying customer of a buffet, by your reckoning you become a gluttonous pig.

Clearly you avoid buffet restaurants but how do you avoid Weddings?

ATF, do you suck the heads of said crawdads?? Some folk say that is the best part with all of the fatty brain tissue.

I really don't know what to make of this post ^_^ are you taking about food or some kinky southern perverted sex game here between the good ole boys ? Edited by Soutpeel

OP,

Whats the point of your thread?

To show that you are rude and a bully to wait staff who are just trying to keep a job?

You have to be American...wouldn't be surprised if you have some kind of camo clothing or hat right now.

There are plenty of boorish British and Aussie balloon chasers as well as Americans. Don't be a twit.

I hope CC gets his wish, all Americans depart and the Aussies, Brits, Ruskies and Chinese are quartered in Pattaya. Man, that could be the basis for a great reality TV series smile.png We could even call it BARC Town Buffet Blues; BARC= Brits Aussies, Ruskies, Chinese...

Back on topic, the staff were clearly being over zealous. They would never try this with a Thai...

Edited by Lancelot

you have seen nothing about buffet till you go to islam wedding i have attended many wedding in malay past years

you sit around drinking red cordial till finish vows etc then allowed to hit buffet

if old will get downed in rush like pigs to trough

manners never heard off cheers allan

usually the food is brought out to your long table, and the red rose petal drink certainly is an acquired taste if you aren't familiar with the dry-dusty taste similar to a guava

I've had an Indian wedding buffet though, and it is more like the real thing - right down to your plate being a big real banana leaf