Thai Police to crack down on street vendors in congested spots from August onwards

webfact

Police to clampdown on street vendors in congested spots from August onwards

BANGKOK, 1 July 2014 (NNT) – The Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) said that measures aimed at reorganizing street vendors will be carried out next month instead of this month due to logistical issues.

Street hawkers were initially assigned to set up their stands only in zones designated by police officers from July 1 onwards in order to ease commuting problems.

MPB deputy chief Pol. Maj. Gen. Adul Narongsak explained that the operation has been pushed back to August 1, as the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is in the process of securing new locations for vendors who need to relocate from congested hotspots in Bangkok.

Eight critical areas previously occupied by vendors include Soi On Nut, Ratchadamnoen Klang Avenue, Pratunam, and roads near the Central World Shopping Complex. Pavements in all five areas are densely packed with street vendors, leaving little room for pedestrians or vehicles to move around.

The move is in line with the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)’s efforts to regulate taxi services and street vendors in Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-01 footer_n.gif

It happened about my 3rd year in a major city in China.

The place went from eclectic and interesting, to boring and sterile (well, not sterile like "clean", but you know what I mean).

I hope they don't overdo it in BKK, and I hope the displaced vendors can find other places and/or other ways to feed their families.

• Like 1

I have talked to street vendors, and they told me they all pay money directly to the police.

And no , this money does not go to install better street lights.....

So this will be another dent in the income of the " Royal" Thai police. Go Prayuth !!!

Careful what you wish for.

Mamma still needs new shoes and if they ain't getting it from the locals in a long established, stable (and yes, brutal) hierarchy, I fear an increase in random pee-in-a-cup stops, or even worse.

• Like 1

I have talked to street vendors, and they told me they all pay money directly to the police.

So this will be another dent in the income of the " Royal" Thai police. Go Prayuth !!!

Mamma still needs new shoes and if they ain't getting it from the locals in a long established, stable (and yes, brutal) hierarchy, I fear an increase in random pee-in-a-cup stops, or even worse.

Hahaha yes someone else mentioned that concept, that they hoped the " Royal"

Thai police would not turn to kidnapping like police do in South America. So if you

are walking along the street, and a police car comes slowly up along side you, turn

the opposite way and run like hell !!!!!! At the last big raid on walking street in Pattaya,

they did drug tests on a lot of people there, Thai and farang. All the people who failed

the test were.............................the Thai staff of the club.

Soi 11 is one giant roadblock of vendors...VW bars and Taxi Mafia clowns. Go get em General.

Just a thought

The VW bars are the best part of soi 11. Drinking outside in the open air gives it a very festive feeling and Soi 11 feels empty when they're not there.

Have you anything to fear from peeing in a cup?

• Like 2

Soi 11 is one giant roadblock of vendors...VW bars and Taxi Mafia clowns. Go get em General.

Just a thought

The VW bars are the best part of soi 11. Drinking outside in the open air gives it a very festive feeling and Soi 11 feels empty when they're not there.

Try staying in any of the hotels that front on the street when they are up and running. I won't stay there any more as it is impossible to walk on the side walk. So you end in the street as a target for the motorbike guys and taxies

• Like 1

Just a thought

Well - then head out to Sukhumvit :)

The VW bars in soi 11, totally clock up the soi - they, AND the parked Taxis has to go, for that soi to be worth a visit again! The "traffic" there is so bad, that actually stopped moving at all.

On the bright side, another annoyance in Soi 11 -the Wolfs behind 60-80% of the nightlife there, seems to be on the run or close to doing a runner. One could hope karma finally caught up, with these bastards. Let's hope Khun K. finds someone better, to take over the master lease, in Soi 4 as well.

• Like 1

In fact, I do. A lot of us do. And many don't even realize it.

I'm on a perfectly legal prescription drug that my BKK doctor warned me would look like amphetamines on the first round pee-in-a-cup test. He said the more expensive detailed testing would later confirm that it's not, but I don't want to get banged up and wait in a cell for that test to be done.

Just out of curiosity, how confident are you that your ephedrine based allergy medicine, OTC opiate based pain pills, that strangely exciting food you ate last night, or that exotic drink they just served you won't get you an invitation to a few nights in jail while it's all sorted out?

And, just because you're innocent, doesn't mean you have nothing to fear from corrupt police.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Ya,, There IS a fear.. even though a person is, "clean",, DOESN'T mean the BIB won't taint the result in their favor!... So YA, there IS a FEAR!

Are we maybe, just a teeny bit, going off topic?

I was going to mention the fact that I can't use the police controlled pedestrian crossing in front of our kid's school because a 'restaurant' owner has blocked the pavement and we generally have to walk on the roadside of cars, sometimes double parked, to get there. Buriram.

Sukhumvit between soi 63 and 65 is totally out of control. It is difficult to walk as you have people playing music, venders selling food & drinks and lotto tickets, people waiting for bus, motorbikes running up and down the sidewalk, 7/11 traffic... This is all going on in 40 meters of sidewalk and only about a meter of space to walk as both sides of walk are blocked. Then in top of that you have the building aircons dropping water in that one meter walk space. .... I just laugh sometimes as it is totally unbelievable that this could really be happening. TIT

• Like 1

They should have a special phone number to call and report hot spots for them to check out. At the very least they should make the annoying vendors put their crap in the road so that pedestrians can walk where they are supposed to instead of being forced into the road to get around the idiots blocking the way....