How will the August Crackdown affect my ability to get a tourist visa?

My wife and I sailed to Thailand on our little sailboat and we're living on our boat while waiting for a good time to cross the Indian Ocean (probably shove off in January). We are not working and, in fact, are spending money as if we had lots of it. We are tourists but staying here longer than any tourist visa will allow.

This whole thing is a little confusing. So far, we have found the most economical method of extending our visas is to fly from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur and back on the same day, where we get a 30-day visa-on-arival. This is ok and not too expensive but I have heard that this won't be possible after August 12. Can anyone confirm this? If this is true, what is our next best option? Fly to KL, spend a couple of days getting a visa?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You should be able to get another 30 day entry by air. But you will need several more before you leave which will soon be more difficult.

You should get a tourist visa. A single entry would give a 60 day entry that can be extended by 30 days at immigration.

You can get a 2 entry in Vientiane Laos that would give you about 6 months total by doing just one trip out to use the 2nd entry.

This whole thing is a little confusing. So far, we have found the most economical method of extending our visas is to fly from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur and back on the same day, where we get a 30-day visa-on-arival.

From Phuket the quicker and most economical option for a 30-days visa exempt entry, or to activate a 2nd TR visa entry, is Ranong to Myanmar.

For a single entry visa, to Penang in Malaysia, via land.

Both types of trips have many reports in this forum.

You could even consider an ED visa that doesn't require any trip after issue. Just make sure you pay as you go as opposed than for 1 year.

Edited by paz

What nationality are you?

I would have thought going outside Thailand and getting a tourist 60 day visa would help. It is hard to tell how draconian the 12th August will be.

If you don't sail - are you in Phuket? - to Malaysia you could use Penang

Why oh why can't you guys just let it go? We all know you're brilliant and know everything. When someone talks about a 30 day visa....ok they mean a visa exempt entry. Let it go!

It's a very important distinction and so is the difference between a visa and an extension of stay. Mixing the terms leads to confusion.

TVF would do well to include a header pointing out the correct terms on the visa forum, or a reminder when posting.

For OP, a double entry TR visa and two extensions of stay look like the obvious and correct solution.

Edit: TR is abbreviation for tourist.

Edited by DrTuner

I'm amazed that the airline has been allowing you to board at kl to come into Thailand without proof of an onward flight or a visa

Airline ? Read again.
Sorry maybe I'm a bit stupid but I assumed if you fly from kl to Thailand an airline company would supply the aircraft ?

Maybe you could explain to me the bit I read wrong

Never mind, my mistake.

BTw I also flew many times into Thailand w/o a return ticket.

So far, we have found the most economical method of extending our visas is to fly from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur and back on the same day, where we get a 30-day visa-on-arival. ? Quote

I also have flown into Thailand many times without an onward ticket but I HAD A VISA ,not just hoping for visa exempt on arrival

What nationality are you?

I would have thought going outside Thailand and getting a tourist 60 day visa would help. It is hard to tell how draconian the 12th August will be.

If you don't sail - are you in Phuket? - to Malaysia you could use Penang

Yes, it hard to tell the future and how "Draconian" (Excessively harsh or severe) things may become.

The Thai government seems to be in the same predicament as other countries, in that they are dealing with a group of people that either ignore immigration law or try to circumvent it for their convenience, whatever the reason.

Numerous countries do not have a visa exemption "On arrival" program and have rigorous requirements for long stay or don't allow it all-together. Others have very short and limited tourist visas.

Draco would have had his work cut out for him here. With the abundance of scofflaws, the punishment system would indeed be busy.

Why oh why can't you guys just let it go? We all know you're brilliant and know everything. When someone talks about a 30 day visa....ok they mean a visa exempt entry. Let it go!

It's a very important distinction and so is the difference between a visa and an extension of stay. Mixing the terms leads to confusion.

TVF would do well to include a header pointing out the correct terms on the visa forum, or a reminder when posting.

For OP, a double entry TR visa and two extensions of stay look like the obvious and correct solution.

Edit: TR is abbreviation for tourist.

Thanks to everyone who has posted an answer or comment to my question.

For what its worth, my wife and I are American citizens.

Can I obtain a double-entry TR visa in KL?

Taking our boat to Langkawi is an expensive option for us. Since there is usually very little wind, we would probably have to motor the entire way there and back, using several hundred liters of diesel. Then we have to clear our boat out of Thailand, then into Malaysia, then clear out of Malaysia and then clear back into Thailand on return. We were hoping to keep the whole process as simple as possible.

Thanks again.

KL only does single entry tourist visas.

You can only get a 2 entry tourist visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos unless you are willing to travel further.

Nok Air offers fly/ride service to Vientiane via Udon Thai from Bangkok. Air Asia has flights to Udon Thani and then you can get a van from the airport to the bridge in Nong Kai.