The Hired man

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here, things take on a new dimension as you slowly realise that most of the yokels think they know better than you. Refusal to use a wheel barrow, a shovel, a concrete mixer, a concrete vibrator, any concrete that isn't of the consistency of soup. And I do mean outright refusal. I can just about work with the son in law but at the age of 66 have recently realised that when I get to an age where I can no longer do heavy work, everything will grind to a stop here

I really identify with this. I have had the same experiences. I had a guy who had simple job of moving a dirt pile. I gave him a new wheel barrow, and he tried it once and then told me it was no good. He then went got some sacks and hauled dirt by sack, in the afternoon he brought a friend to help. It was probably a one hour job, that took them all day.

I brought home a cement mixer and my inlaws were very happy to see it because they were about to build a house on the same yard. But when time came to build the all concrete house an older relative was brought in to do the job and he said the cement mixer wouldn't keep up. So they built the whole house mixing concrete with a hoe. With a brand new mixer 15 feet away.

I have had one success that relates to your list however. My father in-law has finally discovered the benefits of a proper western style shovel/spade and he uses it frequently. Although I have taken to using a hoe for many jobs. it can be a remarkable tool as well.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

Now that is a fine shovel.

I have bought a couple of wheel barrows that were pretty fair, The last one I bought was cheaper that the other ones it was standing with because it had an inflatable tire. Apparently that shop saw it as a negative. Fine with me. To be fair thought that particular one falls over backwards if you don't keep the front loaded. I have never had one at home do that. The supports are too far forward.

They used to sell some very nice ones at Home Pro, I bought two for 700 baht each. I have never seen their equal in Thailand since.

I sawed the handles off two and brought them with me. Definitely not for sale!

I could go on for hours about the fact that most shovels have handles that are too short forcing people to bend over and get back ache. I could never teach English employees to use them properly either, if we're getting into Thai bashing, they just grab the handle half way down and insist on getting back ache. Shall I start on wheel barrows that fall over? Next thing that I bring back with me will be a proper masons' barrow. I'm not surprised that most Thais dislike them.

[/quote

I was back in the uk a while ago ,top of my shopping list this time was a shovel,I had an old builders one with a wooden handle,will not get hot left in the sun,used it last week to shovel out a load of cow muck from the back of the trailer on to the Napier grass,what a pleasure to use compared to the Thai ones, the job was almost effertless,3 years ago I brought a spade back another good idea.

The misses has looked at them,but never used them ,only uses the hoe, but as canuckamuck said the Thai hoe can be a very usefull tool,

• Like 1

Most of the problems us farangs have with the way things are done here are really ours not "theirs"

We pay ridiculously low wages so cannot really complain when things are done their way and may not be as efficient as in the west where their labour would cost 20 times as much.

Living here we need to trade a little inefficiency for the much lower cost - it is still a great deal. My house was built in stages over many years but overall the labour came to less than 5000 UK Pounds.

Back home it would have been over 100k so I really don't care that there was no cement mixer on site.

It can be tricky to stay cool when things are not the same as back home but if you want to be happy just go with what happens and just occassionally put your foot down to show you are no mug.

Never pay in advance for anything and get a price for each job and you can't go far wrong as long as you understand that you are paying a pittance so can get things redone if needs be without losing anything but a bit of time.

When in Thailand do as the Romans do??!!??

By the way if you showed a pic/drawing of the shovel above you could have them made up for 100-150 Baht. The Thais are brilliant at making those sort of things
  • Like 1

Most of the problems us farangs have with the way things are done here are really ours not "theirs"
We pay ridiculously low wages so cannot really complain when things are done their way and may not be as efficient as in the west where their labour would cost 20 times as much.
Living here we need to trade a little inefficiency for the much lower cost - it is still a great deal. My house was built in stages over many years but overall the labour came to less than 5000 UK Pounds.
Back home it would have been over 100k so I really don't care that there was no cement mixer on site.
It can be tricky to stay cool when things are not the same as back home but if you want to be happy just go with what happens and just occassionally put your foot down to show you are no mug.
Never pay in advance for anything and get a price for each job and you can't go far wrong as long as you understand that you are paying a pittance so can get things redone if needs be without losing anything but a bit of time.
When in Thailand do as the Romans do??!!??
By the way if you showed a pic/drawing of the shovel above you could have them made up for 100-150 Baht. The Thais are brilliant at making those sort of things

The above pictured shovel is made from tempered steel, not from metal taken from a biscuit box. Just fixing the handle is a job of work, ฿150? That is an insult to this tool, can't be done. The two I have have lasted me 30 years.

Staying on topic: the Swiss peasantry 100 years ago were extremely poor, but they took great pride in their tools and the way that they were used. The scythe that they had for instance had probably belonged to granddad but was an extremely refined piece of workmanship that was looked after. Saws don't get used here much 'because they don't cut'... meaning it is difficult to buy the correct files for sharpening...not that they would be interested in learning how to sharpen and look after their stuff. I saw the SIL loading and unloading rice straw with a stick, I showed him how to use the pitch fork, 10 times quicker... you guessed it, he wouldn't even try.

It isn't the poverty, it is the attitude of a lack of pride in workmanship and ability to adapt to new technologies that disturbs many people. I remember various small innovations during my working life; I was always a bit suspicious at first but was also very interested and was at least enthusiastic about trying them out and experimenting, as were my employees, generally. Some of them turned out to be rubbish, but I tried.

I agree that the end result generally turns out ok, apart from the occasional road surface and rail road that deteriorates rapidly, the occasional Global house store that falls down and kills people in a high wind (5 killed was it? - family of my SIL by the way...), lack of safety consciousness. A lot of this is to be laid at the door of educational standards and attitudes but that is something that won't be changing in our time.

• Like 2

Thailand is indeed different to a lot of places. Getting frustrated because of those differences and trying eradicate them is self defeating and leads to further frustration. The answer is therefore clearly to found in a glass or two of cold beer. Laughing at how things are also helps plus muttering "mai pen rai" at least once an hour. Trying to change people and get them to think the same way as you do is not the way to go if you want to be happy here.

Yes you are right for the most part, but still we need to get things done sometimes, and my OP was partially an attempt to find some wisdom in dealing with the farm worker and having a somewhat satisfactory result. Currently it is either ignore all deviations from the plan and have a beer as you say. Or go out there and show them what they are doing wrong and then go look for another guy, because that relationship is shot.

I see that Thai bosses have little trouble getting the job done the way they want. Can I have the same expectation though? That is the question.

Ive found workers virtually useless in all aspects so ended up building two house alone and I mean everything alone, no help at all. I now have two houses I know are perfect with the correct concrete and blocks laid with cement all round not just a bit on the horizontal joints etc

It takes me about a year to build each one from footings to painting, its HARD work because of the heat more than anything else.

Edited by kannot

I own a small bungalow operation with a Thai partner and he is very smart. But he could just as easily be telling the same story! Farang boss. Thai boss. No difference. Especially in rural Thailand. The stories I could relate are endless, but basically the same.

• Like 1

Actually most of my Thai friends own businesses - hotels etc - and they constantly complain about the standard of Thai staff, equally difficult for them. My friends prove that there are plenty of very savvy, westernized and forward thinking Thai folks around, but not, seemingly, at the lower end of the wage spectrum.

• Like 2

I am just about to hire new staff and it's the same <deleted> nightmare every time again. Can confirm all stories posted here.

Just waiting for 2015 to get labor with a different mentality to work. In the meantime: Go nuts or deal with it ( and go nuts ).

• Like 1

I can suggest one thing.

Quote: "But it turns out I still don't get it. For example if you give clear instructions for something to be done and they do something else, or don't do it at all. How do you tell them they got it wrong without embarrassing them and having a big pout session."

This is a cultural issue I experienced in Africa. If you give a set of instructions and ask if they understood, they will always say "yes" as it is considered disrespectful to say "no".

The answer is to request them to repeat your instructions back to you, to ensure they have understood!

• Like 1

"How do you tell them they got it wrong without embarrassing"

The only way this culture is ever going to progress is if they DO start feeling embarrassed. Embarassment is a great teacher and a great motivator.

@canucamuck

The problem is a cultural one.

Thailand is a free land.

A hot country.

In spain they have siesta (they sleep in the afternoon because its too hot to work)

"only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday sun"

You think because you provide employment everyone will just obey and work? No chance!

Thai people are proud and care free!

They also do not jump when a "ugly farang" tells them to do so.

If you want to find a jumpy jumpy obidient people who can do anything for money and obey any order.

You have to move your business operation to sub saharan africa