Why are the clubs closing at 2am?

tribalfusion001

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The General is open to personal requests. The OP should send him an email stating he is not happy that he has to finish partying and go home at 2am rather than his regular sunrise hour. I'm sure he'll change the laws of the land and inform all the police etc. to accommodate your good self being able to stay out a couple of extra hours getting pissed and dancing. Good luck with that. You do realise a military coup has recently taken place in Thailand ?

I do realize there was a coup d'etat, I was here! And I will send him an email, when I'm back in England on Thursday 555

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe you should stay in England then as the bars/nightclubs can get a 24hour licker license there and here they can only stay open until 2am legally...

No, I prefer Thailand, for all its faults and positives. I just like a drunken rant every so often, thanks for your replies.

Khob khun khrab

The General is open to personal requests. The OP should send him an email stating he is not happy that he has to finish partying and go home at 2am rather than his regular sunrise hour. I'm sure he'll change the laws of the land and inform all the police etc. to accommodate your good self being able to stay out a couple of extra hours getting pissed and dancing. Good luck with that. You do realise a military coup has recently taken place in Thailand ?

I do realize there was a coup d'etat, I was here! And I will send him an email, when I'm back in England on Thursday 555

Maybe you should stay in England then as the bars/nightclubs can get a 24hour licker license there and here they can only stay open until 2am legally...

There are a few Bangkok clubs with "licker licences" too! tongue.png

Don't know, don't care, ruined my night, sod the law!!!

that's what you get when you try to wait around till things close and get a deal...

I was in glow bar in soi 23 with my wife, just dancing and drinking, walked down cowboy when we got kicked out of glow bar and cowboy was closed too! It's hardly encouraging people to come to Thailand when you close everything at 2am...

Oh I don't know about that. Getting away from this entitled attitude of my Country-men here is what is drawing me there.

Edited by Ittabena

There are a few Bangkok clubs with "licker licences" too! tongue.png

I'm sorry but sometimes auto spelling give you some fun and interesting words in a conversation... Sometimes it's just wrong... Like last week when I send and sms to my student about her project. It's about ducks and a dog had killed one of them so I just asked if she wanted another duck but the d got exchanged...
  • Like 1

You will get over it mate. Just drink faster next time....wink.png

Don't blame the law because the scene in which such clubs operate does not find it trendy to start a wee bit earlier. And don't blame the Army because from what I can tell they are doing a stellar job cleaning up the whole place..

.A few weeks ago if you remember we were under 10pm curfew so 2 am must seem like a big improvement.

It's been a long time, and my memory isn't what it used to be, but after Thaksin was first elected, didn't Interior Minister Purachai enforce a 1:00AM closing time? I also recall he was trying to restrict all "night life" to Rachadapisek Road and Patpong. There was a third venue I don't recall, RCA maybe?, but Soi Cowboy wasn't on the list and I don't think Nana Plaza was either. There have been times when I remember the Thermae being open until 7:00AM, but I think that changed after the 2006 coup.

You should have been here 20 years ago before Thaksin regime changed everything, Thailand was the best place in the world for entertainment. The smile then was real. He changed the law on closing hours, buying hours at 7-11, taxes on alcohol etc. Now we see hookers every 5m on Sukhumvit sidewalk, they cannot afford the drinks in the bars...

that's what you get when you try to wait around till things close and get a deal...

I was in glow bar in soi 23 with my wife, just dancing and drinking, walked down cowboy when we got kicked out of glow bar and cowboy was closed too! It's hardly encouraging people to come to Thailand when you close everything at 2am...

Be grateful you don't live in Tokyo it's illegal to dance in clubs after midnight even if it's just to a bit of Elvis.

Hang on a minute

I was in a club in Tokyo in 2010 and by the time it was midnight my friend and I were already pissed, but I do remember a big sign "NO DANCING" in both Japanese and English. I thought it was just a joke sign. Are you telling me this is a real law? And is it even enforced?

Edit: just googled. Holy shit, you're right. What a nut house japan can be sometimes

Edited by Grindting

I'd pefer a more liberal law too. But look on the bright side - all those BIB who can no longer collect tea money to turn a blind eye to the law being broken; my heart bleeds for them smile.png

• Like 1

Personally I think start early finish early is the way to go. 8 pm 1 am is much more civilized than 11 pm to 4 am.

The reason people start late is the bars don't get busy till then but if bars closed at 2 am in short order

people start there nights early from bar staff to patrons. All good. coffee1.gif

This thread would be more appropriate many moons ago when the rules were changed or for an uninformed tourist.

So now ppl know, just party accordingly.

Just saying

Some of you people are just so up your own bum!

Wow what a gem of a comeback.

It's just very old news and the way it is.

Like mentioned, just alter those plans next time and you"ll be fine. No use getting all bent out of shape over this.

Next time will not be for a while, hence the frustration, mai pen rai

The Wimbledon final is quite good, I was watching the game in The Crossbar and headed back after the 4th set ended, got my go go bars in early!

This has been the beef of many but there are a few after hours places but I guess it was more a generalized statement as to why and not where.

In 9 months things might be very different. The coup government is changing the way things are done. Here in Pattaya, bars and discos are being raided and closed down every night, some for days (one bar sign said closed for renovations. Ha!) , for being open after 2 am, including iBar, Insomnia, Flex, Lucifer and others. For the first time in 10 years, I've been witness twice to drug arrests in the middle of a soi by plainclothes and uniformed cops. For the first time I or others can remember, Soi Buakhao was blockaded by police and Thai Navy soldiers and everyone, Thai and farang, were stopped, questioned, and some arrested. For the first time I've ridden into a huge police/military inspection stop on a small subsoi. I was waved through but no Thais were waved through. For the first time, I'm seeing cops on active duty on nighttime streets in Pattaya, not just out collecting for the boss.

If you think things will just go back to "normal" after the recent heavy enforcement activity, you'd better keep your eyes open from now on. Please don't read this as "I love the military" statement. Open your bloody eyes. Remember what Gen Prayuth said recently about changing Thailand's sordid image around the world. Most of you won't want to believe the coming chagnes but I think he was serious and it seems as though he will be around for a long time.

The military made it quite clear that one of their priorities was to crack down on drug use. They are just doing what they said, by focusing on after hours clubs where drugs are routinely taken.

It's just controlling people, no freedom, no choice, no vote, nothing, now cannot even party into the small hours!

Why you don't moving to another country, when you don't like these rules.

I just wonder what is your nationality most of the ppl who complaining should first looking at their own country.

By the sound of your whinging post you probably ought to be in bed at that time. What do you do all day,sleep?

I agree with you ppl who whining about these rules not getting up before noon.

They should be happy that they don't having other problems as this bullshit.

You will get over it mate. Just drink faster next time....wink.png

Don't blame the law because the scene in which such clubs operate does not find it trendy to start a wee bit earlier. And don't blame the Army because from what I can tell they are doing a stellar job cleaning up the whole place..

Oh don't be so bloody naive. Start thinking for yourself.

Had it occurred to you that there might be a reason for that? As in, what they SAY they're doing isn't what they're doing at all?

They've censored the press and the media, banned protests, and have just declared - wait for it - that populist policies will be outlawed in future. Then in the next breath, they've announced that in order to get the conomy moving again, they're asking banks to slacken their criteria to make it easier to extend loans to those who currently don't qualify for them. Laughable

Remember subprime by any chance?

My Thai wife has started to think for herself, she questioned the soldier why the club was closing at 2am, although she was drunk and enjoying herself dancing to the music.

I was in Hanoi two weeks ago and the police come along at midnight and closed all the bars, this is not much different and Vietnam is a communist country, wake and smell the roses, this is not freedom!!!

It is common practice worldwide to close bars at some point .... 2:00 am being a common closing time. So, BKK bars closing at 2:00 am is not the end of the world.

You need to March round and stomp your little feet in front of the Military Supreme HQ Building.

They will let you in and listen to your opinion with interest and may even change or modify the law for you!

Cowboy is always closed by 2am as were/are majority of the bars anyway around sukhumvit..except the street bars which then pop up.If you know the area you could have gone up to Thonglor for the thai clubs or RCA for the serious night club dance scene instead of being a <deleted> drama queen on here!!

100% WRONG. I live on soi 23 and up until recently, the gogo bars regularly opened until 3am while the Penny Black & Corner bars opened till well past 5am every night.

Levels, Oskar, Insanity, Q Bar etc went until 3am.

RCA shuts dead on 2am

Thonglor shuts at 2am but after hours joints like WIP 168 and Safe House usually go until 6am.

Get your facts straight before piping up, eh?

Typical BS response form the more self-righteous hypocrites who never have and never WILL break a law.

I wonder how many of them have bribed a Thai police officer after being breathalysed or greased a palm to make an immigration issue disappear.

Oh dear. A typical response from someone who thinks laws don't apply to anyone has self important as themselves. Considers it macho.

All there to be broken. So you won't be complaining when someone robs you or breaks into your property because they decided to break a law they didn't like; or maybe smashes into your vehicle whilst pissed or high.

What a breathtakingly stupid comment.

Let me see if I understand what you're saying here - people steal or drink drive because they don't like the law that says it's illegal, right?

Dunno who's worse; you or the 3 eejits who liked your post laugh.png

BTW if the junta decides to enforce the law that says prostitution is illegal and arrests your freshly-barfined companion for the night before she can accommodate you, I take it YOU won't be complaining either, right?

you are not one of these hipper than hip DJ types by chance?

• Like 1

Soulbundy, no one is going to be fit for any sort of work after about five hours if he staggers home drunk the previous night.

precisely and yet he maintains that he does work, i tremble to think what at. A clerical assistant at the British Embassy no doubt,they are always so 'on the ball' and helpful..........not.

• Like 1

On Saturday morning we were turfed out of Levels on Sukhumvit Soi 11 at about 3am. We went to try Climax but that had also been closed.

We ended up at Spicy until they closed (no idea what time, but it was one bottle of vodka later so could have been an hour or more), then across the street to Swing (or whatever its called....)

I would estimate that most of the crowd that had been in Levels turned up at Spicy.

I could be wrong here Baerboxer, but is it possible to be drunk and guarantee you will not be a danger to yourself as well as others?

Depends on how you classify drunk and how that particular drug effects you.

Being a little merry - maybe not as bad as being totally whacked out. Being a quite drunk - maybe not as bad being the "in your face wants to be friends with everyone" drunk or the violent drunk.

The problem is, as you probably know, alcohol works on your central nervous system. Your ability to control your actions, ability to reason and motor neuron skills are all affected. Different people also have different tolerances to alcohol.

If you have worked in a bar or night club, and observed, the physical and personality changes on people who consume alcohol can be quite dramatic and very noticeable; and not always predictable.

So, when under the influence of alcohol, most people can't really guarantee anything. That said, the proportion of incident % wise compared to those out drinking is relatively small.

Before drink driving, my late father used to drink 6 pints of beer on a Sunday lunchtime, and then we would drive home. Never had an accident, or involved in anything like. Was he a bigger risk though - absolutely. He complied with the drink driving legislation as soon as it became law; but because it was the law and not because he necessarily accepted the wisdom behind it.

• Like 1

Cowboy is always closed by 2am as were/are majority of the bars anyway around sukhumvit..except the street bars which then pop up.If you know the area you could have gone up to Thonglor for the thai clubs or RCA for the serious night club dance scene instead of being a <deleted> drama queen on here!!

100% WRONG. I live on soi 23 and up until recently, the gogo bars regularly opened until 3am while the Penny Black & Corner bars opened till well past 5am every night.

Levels, Oskar, Insanity, Q Bar etc went until 3am.

RCA shuts dead on 2am

Thonglor shuts at 2am but after hours joints like WIP 168 and Safe House usually go until 6am.

Get your facts straight before piping up, eh?

Typical BS response form the more self-righteous hypocrites who never have and never WILL break a law.

I wonder how many of them have bribed a Thai police officer after being breathalysed or greased a palm to make an immigration issue disappear.

Oh dear. A typical response from someone who thinks laws don't apply to anyone has self important as themselves. Considers it macho.

All there to be broken. So you won't be complaining when someone robs you or breaks into your property because they decided to break a law they didn't like; or maybe smashes into your vehicle whilst pissed or high.

What a breathtakingly stupid comment.

Let me see if I understand what you're saying here - people steal or drink drive because they don't like the law that says it's illegal, right?

Dunno who's worse; you or the 3 eejits who liked your post laugh.png

BTW if the junta decides to enforce the law that says prostitution is illegal and arrests your freshly-barfined companion for the night before she can accommodate you, I take it YOU won't be complaining either, right?

Breathtakingly stupid comment - were you sober, drunk or hungover when you thought that one up? Or is all just blurred now. Don't see anyone liking your ramble.

It must be hard to understand logic through the haze. The point is that you can't chose which laws you want to abide by and then complain if someone does some thing to enforce a law which you happen to be breaking at the time. Inconveniencing your piss up isn't a good excuse for not enforcing the law.

I wouldn't mind if the authorities decide to strictly enforce the laws on prostitution. I don't go tarting and whoring or use girlie bars and leave that subject to the experts like yourself.