90 Day Borderbounce: 'Denied' Exit in Ranong despite non-B

Drove the car to Ranong pier yesterday to do a border bounce and some shopping in Myanmar.

I am a German national, 42 years and currently staying in Thailand on a non-B visa expiring on tuesday, with a stamp allowing me to stay here until August 20, which exactly 90 days after my last entry into the Kingdom. Since my next flight to Europe is on the 27 of August and I had some business to do in Ranong anyway, I was looking into getting sorted for those extra days.

When exiting Thailand, the officer looked at my passport page by page and asked for a work permit which I do not hold as I do not work here. When asked inside the office I explained about my business in Germany and my money coming entirely from abroad. I had to answer questions on where I live and if I rented a home and about my address, plane ticket, etc.

The officer told me he will not let me exit as I will have a hard time coming back from Myanmar, where the Myanmar border officers will want to see a return ticket (that I did not bring) to let me exit into Thailand. This was the same story I heard from the boat touts at the pier btw. The officer said, he turned down all previous foreigners today for the same reason as he will have to go to Myanmar himself and sign a lot of papers to have anyone stranded there come back to Thailand. He was very friendly though but his words were: Try it somewhere else.

Anyone has any idea what happened there? And what are my best options now?

Does it make sense to go to Satun before tuesday, the last day of my non-B visa?

Will I be able to get a 7 day extension in Samui to not overstay without having to change my flight date?

At the moment I certainly not want to overstay a single day as I intend to come back on a non-B next year.

Should I make a border run sometime beginning of August to get a waiver that will last until my trip to Europe?

Thanks for any input!

It seems strange to me that they are saying a person would not be allowed to leave Myanmar. I think the are just saying that instead of saying that they would not let you re-enter. There have been reports before of people being asked for a work permit when they had a non-b visa.

You can apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave.

You could try another crossing but take the ticket with you for the next trip.

Anyone has any idea what happened there? And what are my best options now?

My theory: On that particular border, Thailand made a problem to Myanmar because some visa-exempt did not had a return ticket, or whatever reason.

Now Myanmar retaliates going by their strict interpretation of Thai, rules, that everyone needs a ticket out (obviously not true).

Since one can't stay in Myanmar without a visa, its really stuck in no man water until the Thais, moved by who knows which reason, has come to get you in, with great satisfaction of the Burmese.

All that assuming the Thai office told you the truth, who knows.

Does it make sense to go to Satun before tuesday, the last day of my non-B visa?

Not unless you really feel like

Will I be able to get a 7 day extension in Samui to not overstay without having to change my flight date?

Yes, 1,900 Bt

At the moment I certainly not want to overstay a single day as I intend to come back on a non-B next year.

Should I make a border run sometime beginning of August to get a waiver that will last until my trip to Europe?

That or the 7-days extension, whatever you like better.

Thanks for your help! Should go by the extension then.

Reckon you are right by Myanmar officers playing it safe after all whats happening at the borders recently - especially as this was what the touts said, too.

Sent from Karon Beach

quote]

It seems strange to me that they are saying a person would not be allowed to leave Myanmar.

Agreed. The immigration at Kawthaung are very 'laid-back' and just stamp you in and out again for your 5-minute stay in Kawthaung. Why would they want the hassle of denying you exit back onto the long-tail back to Ranong? You have not broken any Myanmar immigration/visa rules, so if there is any problem then it's a problem for Thai Ranong immigration, not Kawthaung.

I'm sure the long-tail boat touts at Ranong Fish Pier have been instructed to make these comments by Ranong Immigration.

I would like to ask...

He says he has a non-imm B. Based on what? B is for business. Can you just get a B visa for no reason other than you want one?

Did he have a re-entry permit? His only reason for going to Myanmar was for shopping? Other than "business in Rayong" he does no work here?

I am playing devil's advocate here to try and get a feel for the actions of the imm. officer. On being presented with the documents of a person who didn't actually need to leave, maybe he felt he was doing a favor.

'nuff said

~

My take on this is that the Thai officer was saying that if he let you enter Myanma they would not allow entry as they would need to see a return ticket or they could be stuck with you if they allowed you to enter and Thailand would not allow you back. Thailand under no circumstances will allow entry without a departure stamp from the other county hence it was easier to say you could not leave. Probably better for you too.

I would like to ask...

He says he has a non-imm B. Based on what? B is for business. Can you just get a B visa for no reason other than you want one?

Did he have a re-entry permit? His only reason for going to Myanmar was for shopping? Other than "business in Rayong" he does no work here?

I am playing devil's advocate here to try and get a feel for the actions of the imm. officer. On being presented with the documents of a person who didn't actually need to leave, maybe he felt he was doing a favor.

'nuff said

~

Ranong not Rayong dear boy

As I posted in another thread, I heard a rumour not so long ago that people arriving in Thailand on non imm B visa where going to be required to have a least a temporary WP sponsored by the host entity in Thailand, and it seems at least in this case, the rumour may have some foundation

I would like to ask...

'nuff said

~

The way I understand it is the OP has a multiple entry B visa, issued based on the intention of his German company to do business in Thailand. That's all acceptable. I do wonder how easy it will be to get another one for next year if one can't show any actual done business with Thai companies and passport shows the person stating near all time in Thailand. (Not saying this is the case with the OP).

Then because his visa was about to expire, he decided to make one last exit/entry that allows him 90 more days in the country.

Now one has to understand what that Non-immigrant in the non-imm B or O actually means. It means you are not an immigrant. You do not intend to live in Thailand. You reside in a different country but would like to visit Thailand (several times per year in case of multiple entry) for reasons of business, employment, visiting family or whatever accepted by a consulate abroad. If you wish to stay long time (meaning live in the country) one needs permission from the immigration inside Thailand, either via an extension of stay, permanent residence or citizenship.

Edited to add; I was on multiple b visa for several years while having a WP. Since 1.5 years ago consulate won't give it anymore. They say (and rightfully so) that I can only stay inside Thailand long time if immigration in Thailand allows it. Thus consulate only issued single entry non-imm B, which I got extension on in Thailand based on employment.

Edited by Gulfsailor

Maybe he is doing business in Thailand?

Did he have a re-entry permit?

How would he need one as the holder of a valid non-B multiple entry visa?

His only reason for going to Myanmar was for shopping? Other than "business in Rayong" he does no work here?

How is that not a valid reason as is sightseeing or being a tourist etc? Business in Rayong reads family business but thanks anyway

Sent from Karon Beach

Edited by alex_4000

I would like to ask...

'nuff said

~

OP must have a Multiple Entry Non immigrant 'B" Visa, if he says it is still valid for entry until next Tuesday, so a re-entry permit wouldn't help.

A 7 day extension will get you from the 20th August to the 27th when you fly out of Thailand.

Trip to Malaysia would cost more in fuel than the 1900 THB for a 7 day extension.

Guess with the border regulations being tightened up, for your next trip you will need a more appropriate visa than a non 'b' if you don't work or have any business reasons to be here in Thailand.

I would like to ask...

'nuff said

~

The way I understand it is the OP has a multiple entry B visa, issued based on the intention of his German company to do business in Thailand. That's all acceptable. I do wonder how easy it will be to get another one for next year if one can't show any actual done business with Thai companies and passport shows the person stating near all time in Thailand. (Not saying this is the case with the OP).

Then because his visa was about to expire, he decided to make one last exit/entry that allows him 90 more days in the country.

Now one has to understand what that Non-immigrant in the non-imm B or O actually means. It means you are not an immigrant. You do not intend to live in Thailand. You reside in a different country but would like to visit Thailand (several times per year in case of multiple entry) for reasons of business, employment, visiting family or whatever accepted by a consulate abroad. If you wish to stay long time (meaning live in the country) one needs permission from the immigration inside Thailand, either via an extension of stay, permanent residence or citizenship.

Edited to add; I was on multiple b visa for several years while having a WP. Since 1.5 years ago consulate won't give it anymore. They say (and rightfully so) that I can only stay inside Thailand long time if immigration in Thailand allows it. Thus consulate only issued single entry non-imm B, which I got extension on in Thailand based on employment.

Penang issues a 1 year non b multiple entry visa. My Cambodian gf just got one on the 26th last month

Perhaps the Thai immigration officer felt that the multiple-entry non-B visa was not the correct visa for living in Thailand long-term with back-to-back border runs.

But the boat touts were saying the same thing, and I doubt they exercise any judgment about which visa is right. They just know "everybody needs ticket now".

Maybe other people will come with reports.

I did the same border crossing last week and also had problems. I have done it many times before without any issue both at the smelly port and at the Andaman Club. I had read about the fact that tourists were being told they could not exit and come back but I was confident that this didn't apply for business visas.

The officer asked me for my work permit which I did not bring. I had never been asked for it before. I had to get my accountant to send it by email. They made me wait more than an hour and then after talking with my accountant on the phone said that this would be the last time I could do this border crossing. The officer then said that I should get an extension in Phuket and I wasn't going to tell him that I was one of the people who pays to avoid the requirement of 4 imaginary Thai staff and the extra expense this entails.

I will be seeing my accountant next week and I assume we will be "hiring" 4 Thai staff which will result in considerable extra expense.

As I understand it the visa run is required for those with a Non Imm visa B who have paid to avoid the 4 employees rule. So once you have 4 real or imaginary employees the visa runs are no longer required.

I am not sure whether this only applies in Ranong or if the same thing would have happened if for example I had flown to Singapore for the day.

As many here will know Thai Law and implementation of Thai law are often completely different.

• Like 1

I did the same border crossing last week and also had problems. I have done it many times before without any issue both at the smelly port and at the Andaman Club. I had read about the fact that tourists were being told they could not exit and come back but I was confident that this didn't apply for business visas.

The officer asked me for my work permit which I did not bring. I had never been asked for it before. I had to get my accountant to send it by email. They made me wait more than an hour and then after talking with my accountant on the phone said that this would be the last time I could do this border crossing. The officer then said that I should get an extension in Phuket and I wasn't going to tell him that I was one of the people who pays to avoid the requirement of 4 imaginary Thai staff and the extra expense this entails.

I will be seeing my accountant next week and I assume we will be "hiring" 4 Thai staff which will result in considerable extra expense.

As I understand it the visa run is required for those with a Non Imm visa B who have paid to avoid the 4 employees rule. So once you have 4 real or imaginary employees the visa runs are no longer required.

I am not sure whether this only applies in Ranong or if the same thing would have happened if for example I had flown to Singapore for the day.

As many here will know Thai Law and implementation of Thai law are often completely different.

Thanks for sharing your experience and honesty.

• Like 1

Your understanding is incorrect, one suspects your accountant/legal company appears to be misrepresenting your reasons for being issued either the B visa or WP, visa running on a B visa has nothing to do with avoiding the 4 employee requirement

They would have needed to show Thb 2.0 mil capped Ltd company and 4 employees for you to be issued the WP in the first place or if your married to a Thai national, half the amount of money and employees

For a new business, you will not be able to get the extension of stay anyway for at least 2 years of operation because they want to see audited accounts and if the salary they are stating is below a certain amount for your nationality you will not be issued your extension either

You need to find out exactly what they are up to

Your understanding is incorrect, one suspects your accountant/legal company appears to be misrepresenting your reasons for being issued either the B visa or WP, visa running on a B visa has nothing to do with avoiding the 4 employee requirement

They would have needed to show Thb 2.0 mil capped Ltd company and 4 employees for you to be issued the WP in the first place or if your married to a Thai national, half the amount of money and employees

For a new business, you will not be able to get the extension of stay anyway for at least 2 years of operation because they want to see audited accounts and if the salary they are stating is below a certain amount for your nationality you will not be issued your extension either

You say it has nothing to do with. to having the four employees? Regarding the work permit it is still issued with zero employees for a fee. I know a number of people who do this.

Do you therefore know why holders of non imm B without employees need to do the visa runs? I have several friends in the same situation.

You say it has nothing to do with. to having the four employees? Regarding the work permit it is still issued with zero employees for a fee. I know a number of people who do this.

Do you therefore know why holders of non imm B without employees need to do the visa runs? I have several friends in the same situation.

There is no provision in the rules for limited companies to be issued a WP without the required 4 or 2 employees dependent on whether married to a thai for a fee

The only exception I am aware of is setting up a representative office which requires no Thai employee, but requires repatriation of Thb 5.0 mill in to Thailand, the first 3 mil in the first year, and under those circumstances its an extension of stay that's issued

The only two reasons why some in your case would be visa running with a WP is:

1 business has not been in operation long enough

2 WP holder does not meet the salary requirements for his nationality for extension to be issued

Or the 3 option, the legal company/accountant is playing silly buggers somehow, and you had better find out what exactly it is they are doing

You might be better explaining what legal structure you have set up to be issued a WP to comment further

Edited by Soutpeel

Correct me if I am wrong, a non I'm B is only valid for 3 months, after that it's extension of stay with a WP and in country 90 day reporting?

Given what the OP says, he would have been better off with a 60 day double entry tourist visa.

Either way immigration certainly seem to be scrutinising passports at present.

Edited by mrtoad

Perhaps the Thai immigration officer felt that the multiple-entry non-B visa was not the correct visa for living in Thailand long-term with back-to-back border runs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting, but as a matter of fact I do have only one back-to-back stamp in my passport within the last 5 years ... I did go to Satun one time this year but other than that I went to/from Prague, Düsseldorf and Berlin within the last 12 months and it was not for one day. Of course they will not show in my passport as I am EU citizen an do not get stamped there.

The Thai immgration stamps however do not go back-to back as I did stay in Europe for a period of time every time.

Actually that is where I am living, where I have my main income and business (workshop and showroom, staff and markets, so no internet business either) and pay taxes. This is also what I explained to the officer.

Does this still fit your theory?

Edited by alex_4000
  • Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong, a non I'm B is only valid for 3 months, after that it's extension of stay with a WP and in country 90 day reporting?

Given what the OP says, he would have been better off with a 60 day double entry tourist visa.

90 days yes, but the extension depends on whether meet that stated salary requirements (excludes teacher's) and whether the business has had audited account for a couple of years

If your salary is not up to snuff or business doesn't have the audited accounts they will not issue an extension with 90 day reporting, you have to visa run every 90 days on a multi entry B

But the above doesn't change the number of employee rules to be issued a WP in the first place

And yes they are scrutinising passports, mine was looked at for only the 2nd time in 14 years as regards my work status (WP/extension) not two weeks ago at swampy

The problem with a tourist visa is that I am not allowed to do business here in Thailand as a tourist. Therefore it is hardly the right visa. As I have stated before, I do business in Thailand but I am not employed.

And to correct you: A non-B is valid for one year, but when you enter the Kingdom, you are allowed to stay up to 90 days. After that you can leave and come back for another time up to 90 days within that year again and again if it is a multiple entry visa. Once you get a work permit, you can get an extension (of more than 7 days), which you will have to renew every year (at least that was still the case when I had mine a few years back before returning to Europe)

There is no provision in the rules for limited companies to be issued a WP without the required 4 or 2 employees dependent on whether married to a thai for a fee

The only exception I am aware of is setting up a representative office which requires no Thai employee, but requires repatriation of Thb 5.0 mill in to Thailand, the first 3 mil in the first year, and under those circumstances its an extension of stay that's issued

The only two reasons why some in your case would be visa running with a WP is:

1 business has not been in operation long enough

2 WP holder does not meet the salary requirements for his nationality for extension to be issued

Or the 3 option, the legal company/accountant is playing silly buggers somehow, and you had better find out what exactly it is they are doing

You might be better explaining what legal structure you have set up to be issued a WP to comment further

Well actually I think we are in agreement. If you read again what I have said ...I didn't claim that such work permits were LEGALLY issued. They are issued by way of a payment to staff in the local Labour Department. This is common and those who can afford it take the next step of putting 4 imaginary employees on the books pay their social security and avoid the need to do the visa run.

So as I understand it, someone who has through their advisors/ accountants achieved this stands in the same position as a person who has a non immigrant B visa without a work permit, and is therefore required to do the visa runs.

Happy to be corrected on this.

90 days yes, but the extension depends on whether meet that stated salary requirements (excludes teacher's) and whether the business has had audited account for a couple of years

If your salary is not up to snuff or business doesn't have the audited accounts they will not issue an extension with 90 day reporting, you have to visa run every 90 days on a multi entry B

But the above doesn't change the number of employee rules to be issued a WP in the first place

And yes they are scrutinising passports, mine was looked at for only the 2nd time in 14 years as regards my work status (WP/extension) not two weeks ago at swampy

What you are saying sounds correct. So I don't understand why they would ask me for my work permit and say that I cannot do the border run in future. If for example I did not have a work permit why would I not be permitted to depart and renter every 90 days during the validity of my 12 month visa?

What you are saying sounds correct. So I don't understand why they would ask me for my work permit and say that I cannot do the border run in future. If for example I did not have a work permit why would I not be permitted to depart and renter every 90 days during the validity of my 12 month visa?

Er based on your previous post what your doing is illegal by your own admission, yours has been obtained under false pretenses so I would be bleating on too much to immigration