90 day reporting 'fee'

LivinginKata

Was there a number to call the Army and report any Civil Servant who is corrupt? The residence certificate is free of charge. This is a scam that is been going on far too long. I was in there once when 2 Russian guys need the residence certificate for their driving licence. The took a 1000 baht for 5 mins work. Disgraceful. Always ask for a receipt then look at the officers face! You will get it free then

That's true, ask for a receipt and they will grumble and make a blatant lie about having to " check with the boss " Which entails passing it back to the secretary's desk who types it up as usual and you get it free.

I am so tempted to make a You Tube video of this scam.

One drawback to not playing their game is not getting a one year extension ... Which has driven this formerly 4 worker ( now 2, soon 1, then ... none ) business owner out of the country come October.

Good example how corruption affects everyone, 4 people lose a good job and will be getting no severance 'cause I'm sick of the petty official's BS

Please make the video before October and upload it to Youtube. Also, please send the following email to: [email protected] for the attention of Khun Apidet Kongkhayan of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) Phuket office, who stated:

"You can report any trouble you have, especially when it involves corrupt officials abusing their positions of power.", as reported here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Coup-leaders-invite-corruption-complaints-Phuket/31090#ad-image-0

Dear Khun Apidet Kongkhayan

Are you aware that Phuket Immigration has been charging for the document known as the "Address Certificate"?

This certificate is needed as proof of address when renewing a driving license, for obtaining Internet service and for many other reasons.

According to the Bangkok Immigration web site, this document is free. So why is Phuket Immigration charging 300 baht?

Now that the military is in power and General Prayuth Chan-ocha is trying to eliminate corruption from Thai society, is it not time that Phuket Immigration was brought into line?

I would do it myself if I was 100% sure they couldn't trace me. After over a decade here, I don't want to risk being refused another yearly extension by being a hero.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done ( I changed it to " Residency Certificate" and added this conversation...)

July 23, 2014

Dear Khun Apidet Kongkhayan

Are you aware that Phuket Immigration has been charging for the document known as the " Residency Certificate"?

This certificate is needed as proof of address when renewing a driving license, for obtaining Internet service and for many other reasons.

According to the Bangkok Immigration web site, this document is free. So why is Phuket Immigration charging 300 baht , and I've read, sometimes more?
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/740919-90-day-reporting-fee/page-3

Now that the military is in power and General Prayuth Chan-ocha is trying to eliminate corruption from Thai society, is it not time that Phuket Immigration was brought into line?
I feel my last request to have a year extension on my B visa was refused as I have made myself noticed by officers for not paying this Certificate of Residency, as I insisted upon a receipt, which the officer at the desk will not provide.

Regards

Signed ...

So if I disappear.....

• Like 2

<snip>

So if I disappear.....

Well done! You are my hero!

Maybe I can take out an anonymous email and do the same... but all these services tend to eventually link back to you. There was an article in PC World about it recently.

If you want to make a complaint you have to be a real person, that's how it works. If you won't then many would say you have no right to complain- you won't stand up to it, but asked others to...so... ask yourself, are you part of the problem?

• Like 1

<snip>

So if I disappear.....

Well done! You are my hero!

Maybe I can take out an anonymous email and do the same... but all these services tend to eventually link back to you. There was an article in PC World about it recently.

I read the link you provided, and agree with the information contained in the article, however, it would be quite simple to just go to an internet cafe, do noting else but make your alias email address, and then send the email.

Very hard to trace. They would have to look at CCTV, if there is any, etc etc. They wouldn't bother.

I read the link you provided, and agree with the information contained in the article, however, it would be quite simple to just go to an internet cafe, do noting else but make your alias email address, and then send the email.

Very hard to trace. They would have to look at CCTV, if there is any, etc etc. They wouldn't bother.

I read the link too. HideMyAss email allows only receiving emails, I didn't see a way of sending them. If you can find a free service that allows sending an alias email, I'd do it.

If you want to make a complaint you have to be a real person, that's how it works. If you won't then many would say you have no right to complain- you won't stand up to it, but asked others to...so... ask yourself, are you part of the problem?

I already said I wouldn't do it unless I was certain they couldn't trace it back to me. You are leaving in October, so you have little to worry about. I'm here for ever.

I already said I wouldn't do it unless I was certain they couldn't trace it back to me. You are leaving in October, so you have little to worry about. I'm here for ever.

"When good men do nothing..."

I read the link too. HideMyAss email allows only receiving emails, I didn't see a way of sending them. If you can find a free service that allows sending an alias email, I'd do it.

Is'nt [email protected] an "alias" email? If you were to send an email, using that address, from an internet cafe, it would be difficult to trace back to you.

Seriously doubt any email will ever get read. I have never had any Thai govt authority respond to any email. It simply is a black hole to suck up complaints and keep the phones line clear.

True, that's why You Tube clips to the media seem to be the only way to at least get some reply to an issue.

• Like 1

Is'nt [email protected] an "alias" email? If you were to send an email, using that address, from an internet cafe, it would be difficult to trace back to you.

Yes, it is an alias but how do you send it? Whenever I've tried to create a new email address, they want my mobile phone number.

5 minutes later update:

OK, it appears to be different now! biggrin.png I just created a new account and although they asked for a Mobile number AND an alternate email address, I could still create the account without completing those fields. Amazing.

Internet shop tomorrow. thumbsup.gif

Yes, it is an alias but how do you send it? Whenever I've tried to create a new email address, they want my mobile phone number.

5 minutes later update:

OK, it appears to be different now! biggrin.png I just created a new account and although they asked for a Mobile number AND an alternate email address, I could still create the account without completing those fields. Amazing.

You should have created the alias email address from the internet cafe as well, not from your own computer and your own IP address, but still, quite difficult for them to identify you.

Then, you only check that email address from an internet cafe, not from your on computer and your own IP address, and also from a different internet cafe to where you set the address up, and emailed from.

You might find this link and interesting read. :)

https://www.torproject.org/

Edited by NamKangMan

5 minutes later update:

You should have created the alias email address from the internet cafe as well, not from your own computer and your own IP address, but still, quite difficult for them to identify you.

Then, you only check that email address from an internet cafe, not from your on computer and your own IP address, and also from a different internet cafe to where you set the address up, and emailed from.

You might find this link and interesting read. smile.png

https://www.torproject.org/

Thanks Iceman - good suggestions.

(TOR? Never heard of it. wink.png)

• 2 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This can't be true - we're complaining about a measly 40 Baht?

If the 40 bht is so measly, as you put it,

then why do the Immigration team want to charge for it?

If it means so much to them, then it should mean something to the giver, no?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This can't be true - we're complaining about a measly 40 Baht?

So where do you draw the line on corrupt civil servants? 40 Baht? 400 Baht? 40,000 Baht? 4 million Baht? The powers that be are trying to change the culture of corruption in Thailand and the backhanders aren't helping.

Especially with all these ass kisser, who don't realize that Thai's charge a little,

so we not supposed to care.

They say we are stupid, and don't care,

while they care so much about every satang.

We wonder why they do what they do, because we let them.

In the end we are naive to just consider it what they want us to...just a little bit,

here and there, but in the end we are already paying daily for the right to reside here,

with all the extra fee's around each & every corner throughout the day.

If the deep pocket wantabees wish to give their money away,

there are always great government schools that would gladly appreciate any and all donations.

I think for most of us, the bottom-line is we want to choose how we spend or throw away our money,

not have someone cheat us out of it,

and smile about it, as to just how stupid we can be with it.

For that it our willingness that make this all possible,

with the thinking that they instilled in us,

as it's better to live for another day,

so we can just freely give even more.

When I was teaching, they were rounding up foreigners to volunteer English lessons,

and then back charging the Government for the lessons rendered,

so they could put the money in their own pockets.

I was amazed at how a High School Director could afford a huge house,

and also have a beautiful guest house to rent to foreigners,

while driving a new car after he retired.

Now I would certainly be happy for him,

if his school was in good order,

and the kids had all that was allotted to the school each year.

Though that's hardly the case, isn't it.

We can all love this country,

and especially so,

if we could just be left alone to live in it,

and follow the laws, but as often is the case,

it's just not that easy.

We must continue to pay as we go,

and jump through all sorts of obstacles each day/week/month/year.

Never realizing that we live in a country that depends so heavily on our money,

extra money that is. Just paying the norm isn't good enough...for we must set the bar much higher,

and go with the flow.

Yet these same people who say, Oh it's just a little bit, are the ones holding up the line,

asking for a silly discount, not because they need it, but because they think it's fun to haggle,

for that I have no patients.

I could careless about getting a discount,

and simply show appreciation for when one is offered.

• Like 2

Went to Patong Immigration office this morning.

90-day reporting THB 100 service fee (no receipt)

Residency Certificate THB 500 (no receipt)

Pas photo's THB 200 (no receipt)

Thank you very much.

Went to Patong Immigration office this morning.

90-day reporting THB 100 service fee (no receipt)

Residency Certificate THB 500 (no receipt)

Pas photo's THB 200 (no receipt)

Thank you very much.

correct, what ever you do there they got a service fee at least 100 baht, they don't even shy about it haha =)

Well, on my next driver/rider licence renewal, when I will require a new Certificate of Residence, regardless if I'm still in the country at the time, or it's a late renewal, because I have just been allowed back in, I'm going to ask for the receipt.

I have always paid the 300 baht, but as someone most probably soon to be ejected from the country, I'll stand my ground, after all, what are they going to do, not give me a "back to back visa?" biggrin.png

It's not about the 300 baht, i don't even care about the 500 baht - it's time to play the game.

I have a new found freedom in the fact I have absolutely nothing to lose here now. :)

My father in law went to Phuket town yesterday for his 90 day reporting. The immigration officer made a sign to him that he wanted money by rubbing his thumb and index finger together but didn't say a word.

My FIL took out what was in his pocket at that time (180) and put it on the table, the officer pushed it back at him but then accepted it when it was slipped between the documents.

I on the other hand was not asked for anything when I did my 90 reporting about 3 weeks ago, the lady who served me was very nice and friendly.

Seriously doubt any email will ever get read. I have never had any Thai govt authority respond to any email. It simply is a black hole to suck up complaints and keep the phones line clear.

Never got a response no surprise.

The reason they get away with it.... well, lets be honest-because sex sells. How many expats, who are overwhelmingly male, would stay in the country if not for the sexual aspects?

The authorities know it- they know what they have and they use it and the guys put up with it.

The reason they get away with it.... well, lets be honest-because sex sells. How many expats, who are overwhelmingly male, would stay in the country if not for the sexual aspects?

The authorities know it- they know what they have and they use it and the guys put up with it.

Many of us actually have families here… And I don't put up with it. I've always know there were scams at Patong Immigration, so I don't go there. I only deal with Phuket Immigration, they give me a receipt for everything I do. I still don't have any problems with my visa extensions...

• Like 1

Many of us actually have families here… And I don't put up with it. I've always know there were scams at Patong Immigration, so I don't go there. I only deal with Phuket Immigration, they give me a receipt for everything I do. I still don't have any problems with my visa extensions...

Make a family with a bargirl!? well well it's always interesting listen to the chatter when these families come and make extension together at immigration it's not really many positives tones, they don't really like us here..

I went to town immigration office to do my 90 day report today. Paid 9 baht for 3 photocopies downstairs.

Upstairs got a good service from the volunteers and exchanged few words in Swedish. Got the queue number.

No other fees. In and out in 15 or so minutes.

Make a family with a bargirl!? well well it's always interesting listen to the chatter when these families come and make extension together at immigration it's not really many positives tones, they don't really like us here..

Piss Off! Unbelievable! Do you know me? NO! Do you know my wife or her family? NO! We were married in California, as if it is any of your lame assed business! I already had my non immigrant visa long before I met my wonderful wife. Get a life as it seems you don't have one! I doubt you'll ever find even a GF that you won't pay to go away at the end of the night or morning here or anywhere else with an attitude like yours… Good luck with your buying a condo to acquire a long stay visa. Best way to lose money in Thailand, next to your bar girlfriends… jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 2