90 day reporting 'fee'

LivinginKata

It looks to me like these guys are trying to provide a great time-saving service. They are failing to sell the sizzle. If they promoted it as an official new service for 40 baht which saves you time you might have been delighted to pay that 40 baht.

You were happy years ago to pay for a copy service, but this time really offended to be asked for an offer you felt was shady.

I would be really very happy to pay a 40 baht fee to do a 90 day report without making copies or fill out paperwork. Still, I do know how you felt today.

Although I'm not quite clear exactly how much service the provided for the 40 baht fee.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. In the past copies of your passport were required. If I did not bring those copies then I was wrong and I should go find and pay for copies. If the immigration officer offered that service for a fee then fine by me.

The new reporting system does not require copies. It requires immigration to scan the bar code on my old form and print. This is a free service. End of story.

I am astonished that these officers think they can scam a long stay resident. Might get away with it with a casual tourist. I still cannot believe the brazen charge, and just for 40 baht. In 15+ years of reporting there has never been a hint of a charge.

Yes 15 + years that's how long we have been doing this 90 day reporting, amazing. Started when they tried to keep tabs on the riff raff in Pattaya chap called Ulrich was involved in something shady as I recall.

• Like 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, another good reason to live where most farangs do not. I have been doing 90 reports for seven years. My wife used to fill out the forms and do the copies at immigration for no charge. Now, the officer has one of his trainees fill out our forms using out passports and go do the copies for us. All we do is sign the forms. Never a charge, or even a hint at one.

• Like 1

This can't be true - we're complaining about a measly 40 Baht?

It is the principle.

90 day reports are free and if they fleeced every reporter for 40 Baht it will give them a nice little earner.

"It is the principle."

That's farang-speak for a fear of losing face.

Some people have such fragile egos. Remember the guy who went on and on about his electric bill or whatever when he paid at 7-Eleven because they ended up with something less that 25 satang extra since they couldn't make change? He, and he's not alone, will spend days fuming over a few satang because of the "principle." That means he fantasizes about everyone at 7-Eleven (or the immigration office or the market) meeting in the back room to laugh at the farang they "took" for a few satang. Saving face can truly be a debilitating obsession for some farang.

Absolute Rubbish.

90 day reports are free and that is the end of it. Fact. No argument.

• Like 2

This post is an absolute disgrace. Need I say anymore.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes indeed!

You need to say more.

You need to say which post you are commenting on, there are 29 posts, including yours.

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

• Like 2

In Phuket town there is no need to give the TM47 form anymore, it's all computerised (maybe not in patong). So not only were you scammed but it was also to make a copy of a now useless form biggrin.png

Edited by pistachios

It is the principle.

90 day reports are free and if they fleeced every reporter for 40 Baht it will give them a nice little earner.

"It is the principle."

Some people have such fragile egos. Remember the guy who went on and on about his electric bill or whatever when he paid at 7-Eleven because they ended up with something less that 25 satang extra since they couldn't make change? He, and he's not alone, will spend days fuming over a few satang because of the "principle." That means he fantasizes about everyone at 7-Eleven (or the immigration office or the market) meeting in the back room to laugh at the farang they "took" for a few satang. Saving face can truly be a debilitating obsession for some farang.

Absolute Rubbish.

So is the Certificate of Residence - but 300 baht is demanded for one of those on Phuket, and I, like others, pay it.

• Like 1

Why did the OP complete a form TM7? Which is a the form for Application For Extension Of Temporary Stay In The Kingdom and not a TM47, which is the form For Alien To Notify Of Staying Longer Than 90 Days?

It appears that the officer done the OP a favour by printing out the correct form TM47 for the OP. It is not the duty of the officer to complete forms on the applicants behalf and it appears asked for a small amount of money for his favour and to help towards the cost of administrative charges, paper and copying charges.

My advice to the OP is; check your facts first and ensure all is correct when visiting Immigration, then there should be no problems and misunderstandings.

And you obviously can not read properly....

"I had my TM47 and passport copies ready in my bag"

My bad, OP now corrected first post, where's that bloody delete button....

Edited by Jip66

No charge for the 90-day report in Kap Cheown (Surin) either. Now computerised, no need for competed TM47, passport scanned and new 90-day report attached to passport within a few minutes. Its been free for the past ten years, even when TM47's were required.

In Phuket town there is no need to give the TM47 form anymore, it's all computerised (maybe not in patong). So not only were you scammed but it was also to make a copy of a now useless form biggrin.png

Did you read the OP?

This post is an absolute disgrace. Need I say anymore.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes indeed!

You need to say more.

You need to say which post you are commenting on, there are 29 posts, including yours.

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Sorry about that. I don't know what happened, I was using my smartphone. The post was about a poster boasting about how fast he drives, and carries 1000 Baht in change with him at all times, for when the police pull him up. I'm sure you know which post it is. Again, I'm sorry.

• Like 1

hey; u dont need ever do 90 day reports.

just head to the closest border every 89 days thumbsup.gif

Well for me to do that I would need to get a multi re-entry permit, a snip at 3,700 thb, the drive 180 km each way in my truck (10km/ltr) 36 litres at say 30 thb per litre, 1,080 a time, 4 times a year = 4,320 thb PLUS the 3,700 thb = 8,020 baht plus about a day travelling time 4 times a year, lunch etc.

I think I wil give that a miss and do it the easy way and report every 90 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone just clarify this for me. I understand that all I have to do is report to the Immi office with my passport and hand it over!! No paperwork at all from me. What about arrival card and previous 90 day report?

Why do we have to report to Immigration every 90 days?

I always thought it was to regularly tell them, in writing, your current address so they can keep tabs on you.

As they now just print out a copy of your previous form, and you are not even asked if the address is still current, what's the point of the exercise?

Can someone just clarify this for me. I understand that all I have to do is report to the Immi office with my passport and hand it over!! No paperwork at all from me. What about arrival card and previous 90 day report?

Your arrival card and last 90 day report should already be clipped into your passport.

I always thought it was to regularly tell them, in writing, your current address so they can keep tabs on you.

As they now just print out a copy of your previous form, and you are not even asked if the address is still current, what's the point of the exercise?

"what's the point of the exercise" - the point of the exercise is so they can ask you for money. :)

"what's the point of the exercise" - the point of the exercise is so they can ask you for money. smile.png

90 day reporting is free. They can ask but they ain't getting anything from me. In 16 years of reporting I was only asked for money this recent last time.

"what's the point of the exercise" - the point of the exercise is so they can ask you for money. smile.png

90 day reporting is free. They can ask but they ain't getting anything from me. In 16 years of reporting I was only asked for money this recent last time.

When I use to go to Patong Immigration years ago for my 90 day checkin, they always said they need a copy of the front page (ID page, which I know is not needed for a 90 day checkin) of my passport, then asked me to pay for it. How much? Up to you. I'd give them 10 Baht and walk out. That office is full of scam artists and it sounds like nothing has changed even after the remodel of the office, even after the army has taken charge. Paid for positions everywhere here in Phuket it would seem...

Edited by Jimi007

Did what is now my 7th Retirement yearly extension yesterday in Phuket Town. Got there at 1 p.m. for the doors reopening. Very busy, and I was 10th in the queue for 'long' extensions.

Other than the waiting (1 hour 20 minutes from walking in to walking out) completely hassel free, and other than the 1900 baht fee (receipted) no monies asked for or given.

Couple of new forms, one for who is the owner of the property you live in (doesn't have to be signed by anyone), the other a table of consequences for overstaying your visa, which you have to sign.

An observation, the 2 'volunteers' do a very good job, making sure that your paperwork is correct and you have the required copies before you are in front of the Immigration Officer. They also give good advice to people on what their visa options and timeframes are.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by pagallim

Ha Haa. Just back from doing 90 day parade in Phuket. They took ALL my copies of passport cover page, visa extension, entrance stamp and departure card. You really never do know do you.

Good thing was in and out in about 5 mins and no tea money. I did see an old German guy next to me get stung for 500 for a proof of residence certificate though.

Was there a number to call the Army and report any Civil Servant who is corrupt? The residence certificate is free of charge. This is a scam that is been going on far too long. I was in there once when 2 Russian guys need the residence certificate for their driving licence. The took a 1000 baht for 5 mins work. Disgraceful. Always ask for a receipt then look at the officers face! You will get it free then

• Like 1

Now I know why we Farang are really not liked here.

Catweasle, you said it. Miserable bastard

Just pay it with a smile, job done

100 posts so far Mr natway09.

Somehow, I don't think you'll make it to 200.

So is the Certificate of Residence - but 300 baht is demanded for one of those on Phuket, and I, like others, pay it.

My thoughts exactly. I even asked in the Phuket Gazette's "Issues and Answers", but it didn't get printed.

I'll ask them again now.

Edit:

Just did:

I would like to know why there is a special section in the "Issues and Answers" first page that is coloured in red and states:

"If you have a comment or complaint about the Immigration Department in Phuket, click here and we will forward it to the Head of Immigration, Col Sunchai Chokkajaykij."

Does this mean that all questions related to the Immigration Department are treated differently from other questions?

If the answer is "Yes", please state the reason.

If the answer is "No", then I have a question regarding an Immigration Department practice:

Why are we charged 300 baht for an address certificate when the service is supposed to be free?

Edited by JetsetBkk

It is the principle.

"It is the principle."

<snip>

I can only assume you really are Thai and have no concept of "principle"

Ha Haa. Just back from doing 90 day parade in Phuket. They took ALL my copies of passport cover page, visa extension, entrance stamp and departure card.

<snip>

They need scrap paper for totting up their income from the address certificate and other scams.

• Like 1

Was there a number to call the Army and report any Civil Servant who is corrupt? The residence certificate is free of charge. This is a scam that is been going on far too long. I was in there once when 2 Russian guys need the residence certificate for their driving licence. The took a 1000 baht for 5 mins work. Disgraceful. Always ask for a receipt then look at the officers face! You will get it free then

That's true, ask for a receipt and they will grumble and make a blatant lie about having to " check with the boss " Which entails passing it back to the secretary's desk who types it up as usual and you get it free.

I am so tempted to make a You Tube video of this scam.

One drawback to not playing their game is not getting a one year extension ... Which has driven this formerly 4 worker ( now 2, soon 1, then ... none ) business owner out of the country come October.

Good example how corruption affects everyone, 4 people lose a good job and will be getting no severance 'cause I'm sick of the petty official's BS

Edited by EBlair48