90 day reporting 'fee'

LivinginKata

10.15 this morning I rolled into Patong immigration. 2 officers on duty, 3 Burmese and 2 farangs sitting. Officers were friendly and efficient. Quickly processed people in front, less than 10 minutes. I had my TM47 and passport copies ready in my bag. But one officer keyed my details (think he just scanned the bar code on the old slip) in the computer and printed completed form, I signed, everyone all smiles. Then officer asks me for 40 baht fee for printing out the form. I looks him in the eye and tells him there is no fee. He completely ignores me, acts like I don't exist and I walk out out with my passport in hand. Jeez, how desperate are these guys for money. 40 baht. Years ago when I did not bring copies, I was happy to pay Patong office to make the copies for a 20 baht charge, fair enough. But when they have to print the official form then no way.

Edited by LivinginKata
corrected form number
  • Like 2

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks to me like these guys are trying to provide a great time-saving service. They are failing to sell the sizzle. If they promoted it as an official new service for 40 baht which saves you time you might have been delighted to pay that 40 baht.

You were happy years ago to pay for a copy service, but this time really offended to be asked for an offer you felt was shady.

I would be really very happy to pay a 40 baht fee to do a 90 day report without making copies or fill out paperwork. Still, I do know how you felt today.

Although I'm not quite clear exactly how much service the provided for the 40 baht fee.

Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

On your next 90 day report he will wise up and say, "You pay 40 baht for express lane reporting." biggrin.png

"Jeez, how desperate are these guys for money." - as the extended families of the "big" ten families on the island start to see their income significantly dropping, mainly due to the new demographic of tourist coming here, we can expect to see new money making ideas pop up on Phuket, to make up for their loss of income.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

I have been through with the computerized reporting twice already (in Patong). I have never been asked for any money. When I came the first time with the copies and the filled in form, the lady told me proudly, "No need any more, we use computer.". Whole procedure took about 2 minutes, both times.

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot: Last time I was explicitly asked to jump the queue and hand my password over to enter the data. About 4 others were waiting for their visa extension to be processed.

Password ?? What password. Never ever heard of a password for Immigration.

Although I'm not quite clear exactly how much service the provided for the 40 baht fee.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. In the past copies of your passport were required. If I did not bring those copies then I was wrong and I should go find and pay for copies. If the immigration officer offered that service for a fee then fine by me.

The new reporting system does not require copies. It requires immigration to scan the bar code on my old form and print. This is a free service. End of story.

I am astonished that these officers think they can scam a long stay resident. Might get away with it with a casual tourist. I still cannot believe the brazen charge, and just for 40 baht. In 15+ years of reporting there has never been a hint of a charge.

It wasn't clear to me. It is now.

I would love to have seen the reaction when and if you paid the fee and asked for an official receipt.

It's because of stuff similar to this that I don't do Phuket anymore. I haven't been back more than once since they lengthened the runway to allow for wide bodied charter flights.

Oh, I forgot: Last time I was explicitly asked to jump the queue and hand my password over to enter the data. About 4 others were waiting for their visa extension to be processed.

Oops! The password is XYZZY, and nothing happens... biggrin.png But being polite is almost as good! And yes, it was a Freudian Error.

This can't be true - we're complaining about a measly 40 Baht?

It is the principle.

90 day reports are free and if they fleeced every reporter for 40 Baht it will give them a nice little earner.

"It is the principle."

That's farang-speak for a fear of losing face.

Some people have such fragile egos. Remember the guy who went on and on about his electric bill or whatever when he paid at 7-Eleven because they ended up with something less that 25 satang extra since they couldn't make change? He, and he's not alone, will spend days fuming over a few satang because of the "principle." That means he fantasizes about everyone at 7-Eleven (or the immigration office or the market) meeting in the back room to laugh at the farang they "took" for a few satang. Saving face can truly be a debilitating obsession for some farang.

Interesting psycho-analysis of all farangs - except yourself, I take it.

Where did you do your doctorate?

A poll published recently showed that over 80% of the Thai population condoned or participated in corruption. It should, therefore, not come as a surprise that some members of Thaivisa feel the same way.

Why did the OP complete a form TM7? Which is a the form for Application For Extension Of Temporary Stay In The Kingdom and not a TM47, which is the form For Alien To Notify Of Staying Longer Than 90 Days?

It appears that the officer done the OP a favour by printing out the correct form TM47 for the OP. It is not the duty of the officer to complete forms on the applicants behalf and it appears asked for a small amount of money for his favour and to help towards the cost of administrative charges, paper and copying charges.

My advice to the OP is; check your facts first and ensure all is correct when visiting Immigration, then there should be no problems and misunderstandings.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

I haven't used any form or made any copies for over a year now.

I hand my passport over, they punch some crap in the computer, I'm off in about 3 minutes.

They don't print anything just put a new departure thingy in the passport.

In Chiang Ra

p.s. If you know downstairs charges 2 baht a copy, why are you letting Immigration doing it for you at 20 baht?

I believe for some reasons this has been a big misunderstanding.

I do not except that all the Immigration officers are corrupt and most give a super service up against the odds of being low on resources, minimum staff and ultra low budgets, but everyone is entitled to their opinions and this is mine and as you say, it`s up to our own discretion.

Edited by Beetlejuice

This can't be true - we're complaining about a measly 40 Baht?

It is the principle.

90 day reports are free and if they fleeced every reporter for 40 Baht it will give them a nice little earner.

"It is the principle."

That's farang-speak for a fear of losing face.

Some people have such fragile egos. Remember the guy who went on and on about his electric bill or whatever when he paid at 7-Eleven because they ended up with something less that 25 satang extra since they couldn't make change? He, and he's not alone, will spend days fuming over a few satang because of the "principle." That means he fantasizes about everyone at 7-Eleven (or the immigration office or the market) meeting in the back room to laugh at the farang they "took" for a few satang. Saving face can truly be a debilitating obsession for some farang.

Interesting psycho-analysis of all farangs - except yourself, I take it.

Where did you do your doctorate?

Anyone who has spent some time in Thailand has acquired an honorary doctorate degree in 'saving face'.whistling.gif