5-year driving licence renewal - what time do you have to arrive at the transport office?

pete66

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows what happens if you're late applying for a 5 year renewal driving license? Mine expires this Friday but I can't get over there renew it this week. Will that mean I have to start from scratch and be issued with a new 1 year license?

Thanks in advance,

Stubby

No problem. You can be up to a year late applying with no penalties.

P.S. not so sure how the police will deal with you if caught with an expired DL and driving sad.png

Thanks DS, that's useful to knowt. At least I have a bit of breathing space now.

I won't drive without a license though. It's my guess it would just be another small fine if caught, but I doubt the insurance would be valid if I got into an accident so it's not worth the risk.

Thanks once again,

Stubby

Hi Folks,

Just a quick warning to Brits who might be thinking about getting their Residence Certificate from the British Consulate, in Chiang Mai. It's a convenient 10 minute in-and-out procedure, but it comes at a cost!

A few years ago I paid a whopping 1,900 Baht for this 2 Baht piece of paper with a stamp on it. I remember complaining about how outrageous the profit was for such quick and minor service. The lady behind the counter said that almost everybody complained about that. In fact, they had received so many official complaints over time that administrators were looking into revising the fee. Well, they did that alright!

I've just been to get another one this morning in preparation for my driving license renewal next week. To my shock, that fee is now 3,080 B.

It seems that rip-off Britain follows us no matter where we UK nationals end up living.

I only went there because I can't stand queueing at the immigration department that processes a residence certificate for 500 Baht, but I will grin and bear it if ever I need another one!

I wonder be surprised if British Consulates and Embassies provide the most expensive services in the world?

Cheers,

Stubby

And you can renew up to 3 months before expiry.

With all due respect, the paper I am looking at right now that I received from that wonderful woman at the information desk

says renew up to 60 days before expiry.

Last month they told us 3 months as the Mrs was renewing hers. The notice board there said 6 months, doesn't surprise me if it is now 60 days.

Hi Folks,

Just a quick warning to Brits who might be thinking about getting their Residence Certificate from the British Consulate, in Chiang Mai. It's a convenient 10 minute in-and-out procedure, but it comes at a cost!

A few years ago I paid a whopping 1,900 Baht for this 2 Baht piece of paper with a stamp on it. I remember complaining about how outrageous the profit was for such quick and minor service. The lady behind the counter said that almost everybody complained about that. In fact, they had received so many official complaints over time that administrators were looking into revising the fee. Well, they did that alright!

I've just been to get another one this morning in preparation for my driving license renewal next week. To my shock, that fee is now 3,080 B.

It seems that rip-off Britain follows us no matter where we UK nationals end up living.

I only went there because I can't stand queueing at the immigration department that processes a residence certificate for 500 Baht, but I will grin and bear it if ever I need another one!

I wonder be surprised if British Consulates and Embassies provide the most expensive services in the world?

Cheers,

Stubby

Stubby, You haven't been paying attention. wai.gif For a residence letter you go to the Thai Immigration Dept opp Promenada.There is no waiting providing you have all the docs and photo (listed on many threads discussed on here) Go in the morning and you can pick it up next day, after lunch, for 500 b or if you are like me, a cheap charlie, pick it up in in 2 weeks for FREE.Repeat there is no waiting unlike the cattle yard in town.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Cheers,

Stubby

Stubby, You haven't been paying attention. wai.gif For a residence letter you go to the Thai Immigration Dept opp Promenada.There is no waiting providing you have all the docs and photo (listed on many threads discussed on here) Go in the morning and you can pick it up next day, after lunch, for 500 b or if you are like me, a cheap charlie, pick it up in in 2 weeks for FREE.Repeat there is no waiting unlike the cattle yard in town.

Seems like Stubby has been drinking far too many stubbies.

Hi Folks,

Cheers,

Stubby

Dam! We live and learn Sparkles.

The reason I didn't go to the Immigration Dept was because I read on TV only yesterday that this department has queues that have to be seen to be believed, and that you should prepare for a long wait. I didn't bother reading past that, hence my decision to go to the Consulate this morning :(

Oh well, if nothing else, at least my update, and yours, might help others make better informed decisions.

Stubby

Picked up Residence Certificate from office opposite Promenada (free) went straight to Licence centre...traffic light test...pay 600 baht..issued licence...20 mins ..job done.

Two tips was late afternoon and let your old 1 year expire and your new 5 year licence is for 6 years...

What type visa are you on?

Hi Folks,

I now have two new Thai Driving Licenses so thought I'd post my experience of the procedure.

Actually it was quite painless, even though a tad tedious.

• Got there are 12:30 and registered at window 23
  • Then had to wait in another area at the far end of the building with a bunch of others until 13:10.
  • We were then lined up and took it in turns to read 4 colours at random from the colour chart.
  • After than we were ushered into a room and had to sit through an hour long cartoon about road safety.
  • After the video, more waiting as each person was called one at a time (ticket system) to have their photo taken and licence issued.

I think that was the long and short of it. The video had no subtitles and was incredibly boring.

I think I was there a little over 3 hours all told. As I say, it's a pretty painless procedure, but I'm glad it's not a yearly thing!

Stubby

Edited by Stubby