Jomtien - My Experience with First Extension Based on Retirement

I have been visiting Thailand for a 4-5 month stay for the last few years. I usually get a multiple entry Tourist Visa from an Embassy or Consulate in the US and then exit the country to re-enter on the second and/or third Tourist Visas. This works fine but don't like having to leave as in Pattaya area and van trips can be dangerous and flights are also not convenient as might need to go form Don Muang. Decided to get Retirement extension which allows me to stay in country the entire time if I want and then re-enter next year on the existing retirement extension so avoids getting a tourist visa in the US. Also will attempt obtaining Thai drivers licenses for car and motorbike which will make staying here easier in the future.

The following is my experience which may be of interest to others who are making their initial application for extension based on retirement. No idea how this Jomtien experience compares to other locations in Thailand as have only used this office in the past for any Immigration needs.

First step was to get income verification declaration from the US Embassy during their visit to Pattaya today. Went early and had many people ahead of me and the were not due to start for about an hour. Waited around and they started 30 minutes early and went relatively quickly. Different people for each step from checking declaration for completeness, calculate fee, paying the fee and then having notary stamp and sign the paper. There was no checking of supporting documents for the declaration but you had to state it was true and correct. Out the door with my paper and straight to Jomtien Immigration. Went to the visa support agency just to the left of Immigration and we filled out the necessary forms, made copies and put together the packages. Note as I was on Tourist Visa I first had to apply for a Non-O visa and then extend that visa on the basis of retirement. A two step process but all done at one time with one submission. The only documents provided by me were income declaration, letter from condo that I live there on their letterhead signed by Jurastic Person, pictures and various copies of passport main page, original visa and landing card. Cost was 40 baht but was so easy for me that I gave the young man a decent tip as they were fast, thourough and overall efficient. I have seen people mention about other locations requiring medical certificates and/or lease agreements but this was not the case in Jomtien. Waited for a while and they took my papers just before lunch and said come back at 3:00pm to collect passport along with many others. They were busy but seemed efficient and came out to see who was waiting as I noted the number for the retirement desk was not being updated like other stations. Cost was 3,900 Baht for the Non-O and Retirement Extension.

Came back at 2:30 and went to collect passport and went to the retirement area. Gave them my red claim check and they could not find passport and looked around a few desks. Finally located and it had not been fully processed so said wait 10 minutes and they immediately completed the work and handed to me with instruction to do 90 day reporting. Officer pointed out that my end date is 15 months out which seems to be the 90 day Non-O followed by 12 months extension for retirement so October, 2015. A nice bonus. As the renewal next year does not require the conversion to a Non-O step it would then only be 12 months so October 2016 and less expensive as well since only pay for extension.

Walked out and directly to visa support agency again to do application for multiple re-entry (just in case I need them) while already there and saves the need for future visits or stopping in the airport. Seemed like an easy option for me. Also had them prepare two Residency Certificate applications for me to take when applying for driver's licenses. Needed picture for the re-entry application along with copies of the new retirement extension stamps. Also needed pictures for residency certificates along with letters from condo Jurastic Person stating I lived there with address, etc. Another 40 Baht charge for copies and another well deserved tip for the assistance. (note they also take pictures there if you do not already have them) Back into Immigration and got two numbers as these are done at different desks. Called first to do the multiple re-entry and had to make some additional signatures and pay 3,800 Baht. They take and make appropriate stamps and you collect in about 10 minutes. The number counter for Residency Certificates did not advance the entire time which was odd as it would seem to be an easy process with limited numbers of people needing such assistance and the number was about 20 lower than mine. Went over and they just take paperwork, review, have you sign some spots and then gave 500 Baht for the two certificates. Said wait 10 minutes and they handed the completed documents to me.

The day was busy with Embassy paperwork, visa and retirement extension, getting multiple re-entry and two residency certificates. Did not expect I would get all done in one day but did and was happy to save additional trips and waiting. Have to admit the process was overall efficient and without drama. The visa support agency people were a bit help for me as this was my first time and they made it painless. No complaints other than just a lot of paper shuffling but professional work by Immigration staff.

I hope the driver's license process goes as smoothly.

• Like 1