Police nab suspect in killing of anti-Thaksin activist

webfact

K just for curious sake... suspected weapon used ? blink.png a video camera footage evidence as to what actual weapon was used wouldnt stand up in any court surely without any other evidence...... no forensics mentioned either... please tell me theres more than footage from vid camera to identify the exact gun used as the murder weapon ... please.

• Like 1

K just for curious sake... suspected weapon used ? blink.png a video camera footage evidence as to what actual weapon was used wouldnt stand up in any court surely without any other evidence...... no forensics mentioned either... please tell me theres more than footage from vid camera to identify the exact gun used as the murder weapon ... please.

Erm... Where in the report does it say that the video footage was what the police used to identify the weapon?

They did however say the video footage was used to identify THE SUSPECT.

'The investigators said they were confident that they had nabbed the gunman after viewing footage from security cameras more than 20 times'

Do you not understand that sentence????

Ballistic fingerprinting is going to be the obvious evidence to identify the gun. The suspect also admitted to owning said weapon.... I think this one is signed sealed and delivered.

Good try to embellish doubt into it though. Pity we saw through it quickly.

BTW.... tough luck about it not turning out to be PDRC on PDRC murder on the orders of Suthep.

That's what the red heads were praying for... unfortunately, logic and truth prevails and so far it is all looking like 28 UDD to 0 PDRC in the murder stakes.

Can't wait to hear the name of the politician this tosser is connected with.... I doubt it is Suthep.

What planet are you on ? whos we saw through what ? give over son and stop getting hysterical.

The investigators said they were confident that they had nabbed the gunman after viewing footage from security cameras more than 20 times. They said the killer was 20 metres away.

Surakrit was three metres from Suthin while he was shot.

So the killer was 20 meters away yet they also say Surakrit whos admitted owning the gun allegedly used was only 3 meters away... yup ballistic forensics will be able to say theres a difference of 17 meters for sure. There is no mention of that proof as yet, just a supposition. You do know the difference right ?

Seeing as critical thinking seems not to be your strong point heres the point you missed

Surakrit cant have been both 20 and 3 meters away at the same time... so which is it Einstein 3 ... 20 ....or .... which is entirely possible here.... just another bad and self contradicting newspaper report...

Do me a favour and drop your football scorecard rubbish...I couldnt care less who the murderer is/was playing for... i do like to see logic used though and this news article just contradicted itself rather widely.

Now had you tried to point out that its possible that Surakrit may have been the owner but clearly another used it being at a different distance away and they could be connected, I may well agree thats very possible, in fact id say its highly likely... IF its proven to be the weapon used ...but as usual ya forgot to use critical thinking and logic and went straight for the political rant... nice one son facepalm.gif

Edited by englishoak

if 3 meters away, it really begs a lot of questions. There is a ring of Sutin's body guards;how he get that close unless he is a familiar face. When lifted his pistol to aim, why was he not stopped and after the shooting, where was he not arrested by Sutin guards. Will see what comes out from the interrogation.

• Like 1

Read the blasted article for starters. A little reading goes a long way! They did use the footage, found the gun in his home, was 3 meters away- admitted its his gun. Denial, for whatever reason? Or inability to read and or piece the basics together? What is going on with you?

Read the blasted article thanks, im not sure how your reading it though.

THE GUNMAN suspected of killing Suthin Taratin, who led a rally against advance voting in January, was arrested on Tuesday at his home in Samut Prakan's Phra Pradaeng district, police said yesterday.

Surakrit Chaimongkol denied the charge of conspiring to commit murder but admitted that he owned the gun that police suspect was used in the crime, police said.

So hes the gunman or he isnt, 3 meters or 20 away cant be both, if the former its not him, if its the latter it could well be. any mention of a second person there ? nope just the headline alluding hes one and the same... with glaring contradictions.

Found A gun in his home. admitted it was his, currently thats it. How exactly do you identify a gun used in a crime by video ? Answer you dont, you use ballistics to link it. You can maybe identify a person though, so was it him at 20 meters or 3 ?

You dont say the killer is 20 meters away and the same time say the guy they arrested was 3 meters away, its not even close and it cant be both.

Look this is Thailand Ive heard more versions of stories in Thai newspapers than you get chinese whispers in a market. Im sure your happy to believe the first article that coincides with your wishes unfortunately I prefer due process and hard evidence other than a half baked badly written article. So im using simple logic assuming the article is correct, If the guy is found to be the killer i'll be more than happy but I cant see how this article proves a damned thing but highlight theres a 17 meter difference in its claims... not exactly a small distance and easily checked with ballistics.

Whats going on with me ? just sick to the back teeth of crap reporting article headlines and people who prefer to see what corroborates their own presumptions rather than say hey thats a bit of a weird article with a 17 meter variation of a supposed arrested suspected Killer. In fact to me it looks like hes involved and may well be yes but if he wasnt 20 meters away he cant be the killer as Police has said can he ?

Edited by englishoak

The bullets fired matched the gun ( Lab test ) read in the BP

• Like 1

Erm... Where in the report does it say that the video footage was what the police used to identify the weapon?

'The investigators said they were confident that they had nabbed the gunman after viewing footage from security cameras more than 20 times'

Ballistic fingerprinting is going to be the obvious evidence to identify the gun. The suspect also admitted to owning said weapon.... I think this one is signed sealed and delivered.

BTW.... tough luck about it not turning out to be PDRC on PDRC murder on the orders of Suthep.

That's what the red heads were praying for... unfortunately, logic and truth prevails and so far it is all looking like 28 UDD to 0 PDRC in the murder stakes.

Can't wait to hear the name of the politician this tosser is connected with.... I doubt it is Suthep.

What planet are you on ? whos we saw through what ? give over son and stop getting hysterical.

The investigators said they were confident that they had nabbed the gunman after viewing footage from security cameras more than 20 times. They said the killer was 20 metres away.

So the killer was 20 meters away yet they also say Surakrit whos admitted owning the gun allegedly used was only 3 meters away... yup ballistic forensics will be able to say theres a difference of 17 meters for sure. There is no mention of that proof as yet, just a supposition. You do know the difference right ?

Seeing as critical thinking seems not to be your strong point heres the point you missed

Surakrit cant have been both 20 and 3 meters away at the same time... so which is it Einstein 3 ... 20 ....or .... which is entirely possible here.... just another bad and self contradicting newspaper report...

Do me a favour and drop your football scorecard rubbish...I couldnt care less who the murderer is/was playing for... i do like to see logic used though and this news article just contradicted itself rather widely.

Now had you tried to point out that its possible that Surakrit may have been the owner but clearly another used it being at a different distance away and they could be connected, I may well agree thats very possible, in fact id say its highly likely... IF its proven to be the weapon used ...but as usual ya forgot to use critical thinking and logic and went straight for the political rant... nice one son facepalm.gif

1. the killer shoots the victim from a distance of 3 meters

2. then he runs away (as killers are fond to do) and the security camera records him at 20 meters distance, when he passes.

3. the OP never says that the security camera recorded the killing.

(btw. this is just the way I interpret this thing, take it or leave it)

The bullets fired matched the gun ( Lab test ) read in the BP

yup have just done thanks for post and it makes the nation article look like an amateur comic. thumbsup.gif within 20 meters is a lot different to 3 or 20 in the forensics game, stupid muppet nation article.

Heres a couple of Q im now asking myself,

A what idiot ( police ) finds a guy armed at the time and dosnt take the weapon away for forensic match up at the time of original arrest ?

B what idiot keeps the same gun after already being caught with it allowing it to be seized later at his home ? blink.png

k dont answer that its rhetorical.

yup have just done thanks for post and it makes the nation article look like an amateur comic. thumbsup.gif within 20 meters is a lot different to 3 or 20 in the forensics game, stupid muppet nation article.

A what idiot ( police ) finds a guy armed at the time and dosnt take the weapon away for forensic match up at the time of original arrest ?

B what idiot keeps the same gun after already being caught with it allowing it to be seized later at his home ? blink.png

The idiot.. red shirts.. they are not called red buffalo for nothing. I just cant figure out educated foreigners supporting them.

Either they are persuaded by their Isarn darling.. or paid to post or just not bright.

First defending the rice scheme.. then saying the deaths had nothing to do with reds.. while the smarter posters on Thaivisa always said this.

Without a coup all of this would have stayed hidden.. and they still question why a coup was needed.

Sorry dont agree with coups and never will. They allow the cycle to repeat again and again and are a fundamental core part of the ongoing problem and cycle of corruption, idiocy and subsiquent violence, hence the history of the place and where it is now.

Just my uncoloured opinion take it or leave it

I see you as partly red so its not uncoloured.

Anyway you seem to be ok with the cost of lives and economy just to avoid a coup because its the price to learn democracy.

You seem to be ok that ppl like Charlem railroad innocent opponents into murder suspects because democracy needs to solve it.

Once democracy fails like it fails here you want it to go on failing and hope it will get mature no matter the cost a civil war ect.

I on the other hand don't like coups and would see them as only in extreme cases (like here where people died and got accused of things they did not and a rice scam that could not be exposed without a power change). Guess I am more for pragmatism and your more an idealist theorist.

All because this is called a democracy. Lets call the junta a Democracy without voting then you can support it too. The label is not important its if it really is a democracy or not. I can assure you with all the problems it had it certainly was not a democracy and more and more checks and balances were destroyed by the PTP so it was even heading in the wrong way.

• Like 2

I am at a loss for words for the disgusting behavior of Chalerm and the other PTP scum for having Thawatchai arrested for a murder that he clearly did not commit, nor had any motive at all.

Now the PTP have been booted out we see that, yet again, it's another violent red shirt committing a murder, and I'll take a wild guess here, when the truth comes out in the wash, he will have been paid for the assassination by a politician linked to the Shin clan. Time will prove me right, no doubt at all. As a logical thinker, there are precious few surprises in Thai politics

• Like 2

if 3 meters away, it really begs a lot of questions. There is a ring of Sutin's body guards;how he get that close unless he is a familiar face. When lifted his pistol to aim, why was he not stopped and after the shooting, where was he not arrested by Sutin guards. Will see what comes out from the interrogation.

If you can stop spinning long enough to do so, try watching the video of the murder again, maybe it will answer your questions.

A personal attack on another member has been removed:

7) Respect fellow members by posting in a civil manner: do not launch personal attacks, or be hateful or insulting towards other members, ie No flaming

The idiot.. red shirts.. they are not called red buffalo for nothing. I just cant figure out educated foreigners supporting them.

Either they are persuaded by their Isarn darling.. or paid to post or just not bright.

First defending the rice scheme.. then saying the deaths had nothing to do with reds.. while the smarter posters on Thaivisa always said this.

Without a coup all of this would have stayed hidden.. and they still question why a coup was needed.

Sorry dont agree with coups and never will. They allow the cycle to repeat again and again and are a fundamental core part of the ongoing problem and cycle of corruption, idiocy and subsiquent violence, hence the history of the place and where it is now.

Just my uncoloured opinion take it or leave it

I see you as partly red so its not uncoloured.

Anyway you seem to be ok with the cost of lives and economy just to avoid a coup because its the price to learn democracy.

You seem to be ok that ppl like Charlem railroad innocent opponents into murder suspects because democracy needs to solve it.

Once democracy fails like it fails here you want it to go on failing and hope it will get mature no matter the cost a civil war ect.

I on the other hand don't like coups and would see them as only in extreme cases (like here where people died and got accused of things they did not and a rice scam that could not be exposed without a power change). Guess I am more for pragmatism and your more an idealist theorist.

All because this is called a democracy. Lets call the junta a Democracy without voting then you can support it too. The label is not important its if it really is a democracy or not. I can assure you with all the problems it had it certainly was not a democracy and more and more checks and balances were destroyed by the PTP so it was even heading in the wrong way.

Well thats a shame because im no more partly red than my current sun tan im not getting at home atm but anyway thank you for at least not calling me a lair. wink.png

hmmm lets see if i can answer this without sounding callous. Im not ok with it at all no, but im also not an idealist either. so lets get down to what i think you really wanted to know ( I think and correct me if im wrong please )

Is it a price worth paying ? well that depends on the final longterm outcome and peaceful cohabitation. admittedly its not been great of late. Let me pull out a few rough figures and try to put things into perspective if i may.

I dont see any outrage nor anything being done about 10,000 + annually killed on the roads here yet it would be in the publics interest to tackle that too with thousands of families lives destroyed along with them but it hasnt resulted in a country under lockdown yet. That figure in itself absolutely dwarfs the deaths in this political conflict and all the rest put together here since the end of WW2 . Many nations have it far harder and both bloody and violent at times without said coup only to go on and shine, its often not dozens in most other developing democracies but far far worse from time to time, there is no help or knight charging in to rescue them is there ? in fact many move on and learn a lesson and make sure the high price paid is not in vain. Callous it may sound but then again the useless deaths in this country by design, ( murders ) negligence ( pointless and preventable accidents ) and imo sheer lunatic unenforcement of laws and lack of others is imo far far worse as its totally needless and yet it goes on year after year. There is no ban on transport, there is no serious change to enforcing regulation and there is no public outcry of similar proportion. No junta enforcing road sense...

Why ? because where death is concerned humans have to usually be able to identify with something horrific and personal before they sit up and take notice. Politics is designed to seem personal and political deaths even more so. Imagine if the news carried outrage all the time and demos of the same scale over road accidents and deaths ? you think then there may be a reaction and action ? You bet there would, but we cant live on a diet of everything bad and there wouldnt be room in the papers for anything else daily if road deaths were covered to the same extent. Besides that it also becomes boring in the sense that people become desensitised to it.... whereas political violence is much more rare and seems that much more personal, its how we are brought up and educated, indoctrinated. Its also that politics is sold so people feel it is highly personal and central to their well being. which in a way it is but no more than getting from A - B alive and safe yet the reaction is im sure you can see very different. There is also that little thing called intentional intervention and participation. ie an accidental death is a tragedy but a planned murder is planned... this is part of the importance we separate the two by. The reality though is both end up with the same finality.

i dont subscribe to civil war theory here im afraid, I believe that to be scaremongering from both sides of the divide and a tool to both their own ends by fear and scaring the uninformed. a disaster with the economy would id hope shake people out of their malaise to the error of their ways. economic collapse isnt something id wish for but it wouldnt bother me much, Ive been through it at home and as likely we will again at some point and lessons will be learnt ( i hope )

I cant help my opinion its tempered with a knowledge of history and social interaction within society, ive wrestled with and the paradox of it over the years, idealism and jumping in to intervene is what the gut says to do in political incidents that touch a chord, no scratch that, it is what some, usually the academic educated demand. the more moral and fair educated also include less personal deaths as also unacceptable Ie typically the west.Thing is there isnt many examples of lessons in history being learned by others mistakes, usually it must be learned first hand even the most tragic and bloody of lessons such as social revolutions and or fundamental changes to a society. That is the ( sad ) reality as opposed to idealism which is the human id and sense of selfish importance we put upon what we perceive as one style of death being more important over and above another.

I try not to take into account personal names and examples of individuals into the mix as at that point it tends to become personal, so forgive me for not talking about chalerm or whoever I just look at the numbers and am at a loss why 10,000 + can be allowed to die per year through road accidents that are mostly easily preventable yet in come the military when its people using other than a car to kill say dozens or even hundreds. I guess people need a villain to point at but dont feel outrage at road deaths, even if the end result is still the same. All life is sacred but it seems humans only identify with certain types of death with enough outrage to act, although the manner isnt irrelevant they are all still just as dead.

So saying all that is 1 or 28 or a few hundred political deaths a price worth paying when there has been over 100,000 killed on the roads here in the past decade ? well youd have to decide that, personally if it burns it into the physic as often it does when a high enough price has been paid with a lasting peace and move forwards, then yes it is a price worth paying.

I will go with simply this, it will take as much as it takes, until the lesson is learnt the price isnt worth paying when it has learnt then when that happens the price has been worth it... if it never does then the deaths are forever worth nothing, and that is a real tragedy.

It is most perplexing how spin or difference in the manner of a death can make to people, Im still pondering the massive cost paid in some ways even wars have lack of concern let alone appropriate outrage and action yet one incident or death can galvanise a nation,

Humans are most complex things.

We went through the rest on another thread i believe, lets not call the Junta a democracy lets leave it at what it really is, there is no such thing as democratic military occupation, only Portugal has managed to convert a coup to lasting democracy without bloodshed of any notable amount. history will decide here like it decides everything.

im really tried not to sound callous though no doubt some will choose to see it as that, im just trying to answer your question is it worth it with some perspective other than sheer emotion.

Hope your day went well.

There was also video at the time of the police 'escorting' several of the reds away from the scene of the shooting, surely this gent couldn't have been one of those, could he ?

Ko tee was the leader of the reds on that day although he denied he was there at the time of the shooting, said he had left before it happened.

Could be true as the red leaders made a habit of being way in the background, but then again he has been known to lie.

• Like 1

@englishhoak

Thing is deaths on the road are accidents and don't differentiate between political color, but the killing here was mostly one sided meaning that the anti government protesters were getting killed by reds (as we now know). Also now we know that the current government intentionally wanted to convict and imprison people because they were against them even though the people on their side committed the crime. They could keep in power almost indefinitely by buying votes with state money (that is what the rice scam was buying votes) and hide all these things. This is actually worse as military rule because the goverment is breaking the law on purpose to frame opponents. Once that is happening and once they are so bias to their own side its no longer a democracy.

The difference between the kills on the road is not only the political allegiance but also the intent, the deaths on the roads are accidents while the killing of political opponents by groups aligned (and protected as it now seems) by the government totally invalidates the democracy. They allowed terrorism and even went for scapegoats as long as they could stay in power. That is worse as a military government that has no deaths. By breaking the rules of law themselves they outlawed themselves and then its not a question of democracy but of justice to dispose of them. Now they need to be convicted and locked up.

I used road death as an example in numbers I could have used the south where its both political, deliberate, wilful and continuous but felt unqualified to really go into it in depth. And it goes deep, very deep.

i take your point yet still do not see the need for military intervention over electoral process. They will still be there and still be a part of this country when some from of system resumes. Democracy has a way of balancing things far more than any other system to date Nor should you be in doubt there are some nasty characters on any opposing sides. ( as you have pointed out ) there will always be innocent persecuted here that is just a sad part of life in Thailand. As will corruption on large scale, its as ingrained in society as many other foibles.

I dont agree that there would be perpetual bribed wins by PTP for that long, a few terms max maybe but it was coming to an end on its own imo by sheer incompetence and greed. Populist subsidy schemes are world wide they can be called bribery if you like and they happen nearly everywhere, bad ones nearly always bring down the government anyway in time either by exposure or economic disaster, to suggest that alone returns a party to power indefinitely is untrue and fanciful. People arnt that dumb forever

i can see whatever is said you have your opinion on how you see things and I can respect that, perhaps ive been here too long to be solely blaming one side when I see far more than corruption ( moral or financial ) in just one set or as a sole reason for discontent, its more than that but that cannot be gone into nor the water melon contingent or many other things id like to say about your military savoir. Talking here is often like having a fight with two hands tied behind your back, not easy.

As for locking up im happy to see whoever gets caught locked up I care nothing for any of them and I do mean any of them, I will also not be surprised if its paraded to be all one particular slant and thats it with maybe a few token exceptions. Theres nothing like all the villains being in one gang and the good guys on the other to make society feel all warm and fuzzy, strangely enough thats exactly how it usually goes with whoever holds the power throughout history, its always out to paint itself white and the other totally dark. unfortunately reality isnt like that, it really isnt as incidents have shown things are a lot more grey but alas there are many factors involved that cannot be discussed. I wish I could say more but I cant.

I can accept that many like to keep it as simple and classic as possible and for most that is enough and probably always will be.

@englishhoak

Thing is deaths on the road are accidents and don't differentiate between political color, but the killing here was mostly one sided meaning that the anti government protesters were getting killed by reds (as we now know). Also now we know that the current government intentionally wanted to convict and imprison people because they were against them even though the people on their side committed the crime. They could keep in power almost indefinitely by buying votes with state money (that is what the rice scam was buying votes) and hide all these things. This is actually worse as military rule because the goverment is breaking the law on purpose to frame opponents. Once that is happening and once they are so bias to their own side its no longer a democracy.

The difference between the kills on the road is not only the political allegiance but also the intent, the deaths on the roads are accidents while the killing of political opponents by groups aligned (and protected as it now seems) by the government totally invalidates the democracy. They allowed terrorism and even went for scapegoats as long as they could stay in power. That is worse as a military government that has no deaths. By breaking the rules of law themselves they outlawed themselves and then its not a question of democracy but of justice to dispose of them. Now they need to be convicted and locked up.

I used road death as an example in numbers I could have used the south where its both political, deliberate, wilful and continuous but felt unqualified to really go into it in depth. And it goes deep, very deep.

i take your point yet still do not see the need for military intervention over electoral process. They will still be there and still be a part of this country when some from of system resumes. Democracy has a way of balancing things far more than any other system to date Nor should you be in doubt there are some nasty characters on any opposing sides. ( as you have pointed out ) there will always be innocent persecuted here that is just a sad part of life in Thailand. As will corruption on large scale, its as ingrained in society as many other foibles.

I dont agree that there would be perpetual bribed wins by PTP for that long, a few terms max maybe but it was coming to an end on its own imo by sheer incompetence and greed. Populist subsidy schemes are world wide they can be called bribery if you like and they happen nearly everywhere, bad ones nearly always bring down the government anyway in time either by exposure or economic disaster, to suggest that alone returns a party to power indefinitely is untrue and fanciful. People arnt that dumb forever

i can see whatever is said you have your opinion on how you see things and I can respect that, perhaps ive been here too long to be solely blaming one side when I see far more than corruption ( moral or financial ) in just one set or as a sole reason for discontent, its more than that but that cannot be gone into nor the water melon contingent or many other things id like to say about your military savoir. Talking here is often like having a fight with two hands tied behind your back, not easy.

As for locking up im happy to see whoever gets caught locked up I care nothing for any of them and I do mean any of them, I will also not be surprised if its paraded to be all one particular slant and thats it with maybe a few token exceptions. Theres nothing like all the villains being in one gang and the good guys on the other to make society feel all warm and fuzzy, strangely enough thats exactly how it usually goes with whoever holds the power throughout history, its always out to paint itself white and the other totally dark. unfortunately reality isnt like that, it really isnt as incidents have shown things are a lot more grey but alas there are many factors involved that cannot be discussed. I wish I could say more but I cant.

I can accept that many like to keep it as simple and classic as possible and for most that is enough and probably always will be.

The reason the PTP is the villain now and not the other party is not difference in morals but the fact that they were in the position to abuse power, the other side was not. That is an explanation for the one sided thing of it. I am against all corruption no matter what side.

I have been here 8 years so i too have seen my fair share only I see other parties as less corrupt. People like Korn and Abisith are far better as anyone in the PTP side. That does not mean they dont have bad apples in their ranks.

In this case I see the military as a saviour, but we will have to see how things develop so far they seem to do all the right things though of course I don't like the fact that they pressure the media.

• Like 1

I was confused as well at first but looking again this is what I think it means.

The first sentence refers to the video and the cameras. The killer was 20 metres away from the camera. I assume this was at the time the shot was fired.

The next sentence relates to the crime and those involved. The suspected killer was 3 metres from the victim when the shot was fired.

That would make sense and not be contradictory.

I would hope there is more evidence however. Did they find the bullet? I'm not a ballistics expert but if the shot was fired upwards that would fit with a shot at close range. I don't know how far the bullet would travel after leaving the head.

@englishhoak

The reason the PTP is the villain now and not the other party is not difference in morals but the fact that they were in the position to abuse power, the other side was not. That is an explanation for the one sided thing of it. I am against all corruption no matter what side.

I have been here 8 years so i too have seen my fair share only I see other parties as less corrupt. People like Korn and Abisith are far better as anyone in the PTP side. That does not mean they dont have bad apples in their ranks.

In this case I see the military as a saviour, but we will have to see how things develop so far they seem to do all the right things though of course I don't like the fact that they pressure the media.

Careful Robb im beginning to like you, by far one of the best reasoners ive had to chat with. Yes those in power must be held to account as they like any CEO hold the ultimate responsibility. problem with any military intervention is the nature of those in the military. i believe in civilian rule and ill admit your savours long self appointed role and immunity from everything has always been one of my main concerns here.

Edited by englishoak

................."No progress had been made in Suthin's case in six months under the Yingluck government."......................

Att' all you losers out there who support the PTP / redshirts / Shin regime...................Is this the sort of country you would have us all living in ?

Are you so blind you cannot see what is going on here ? And you wonder why some people say that certain TV posters are either not too bright, paid to post, or are just plain nasty people.