Thai Air Awards and Tax

citizen33

Can't resist a grumble about our favourite airline. I needed to use up some air miles that are about to expire and booked an economy single from KKC to BKK for 9000 miles. I was expecting to have to top up with cash, but was surprised to see that tax on this journey was charged at 805 baht. Two comparators to put this in perspective are ( a )Thai's own hot deal on the same flight (B1300 + 50 baht tax) which I booked for the wife, and ( b ) Air Asia, which I booked the week before at around 700 inclusive each way. So a Thai freebie costs more than a typical Air Asia fare! It isn't so much that I am left fuming, as with a feeling of 'is it worth bothering with Thai air miles?'

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1

Well, you should use all your miles now as, from September the 1st, the number of miles needed to buy a seat or an upgrade is shooting up: e.g. Return Bkk-J'burg business class today can be redeemed with 130,000 miles whereas it will cost you 200 K in a few weeks time.....

Actually kind of upset about it as I miscalculated the miles I was going to get to reach the 130,000 and bought an unrefundable 30,000 miles for 36 K....well, I will be short 20,000 miles....and I am the only one to blame

The irony is that instead where TG should be come more competitive in the aviation

market against all those LLC airlines that biting a big chunk of business out of them

they go and make things even more harder and expensive,... way to go TG....

• Like 1

Yep, had the same redeeming a domestic biz class one way arriving BKK from BRU with 40kgs.

Just made silver and had expiring miles.

September 2014 trip booked Bangkok Airways to BKK 1150B 30kgs and Nok air on return 1612B 40kgs

Booked trip for family to BKK and Krabi Air Asia and NOK traveling November.

No immediate plans to fly Thai nor domestic nor internationally.