New Indian Restaurant on Soi Khao Talo (Review)

pattayapete69

I don't often write reviews, but I noticed there are a lot of people searching for Indian restaurants on this forum. I have no material or monetary interest in the establishment, just wanted to share a review.

The restaurant is called Ram Indian Restaurant, half way up Soi Khao Talo on the left hand side heading up from the railway tracks. It is about 20 metres past the big Family Mart (formerly Tops Supermarket), and directly opposite Krung Thai Bank. A big neon yellow sign means you should not be able to miss it.

Not sure how long it's been open, but I went last week with 2 fellow expat brits - all of us fans of curry. The waitress is Thai, and the chef is Indian.

Very nicely decorated inside, and very reminiscent of Indian restaurants back in the UK, right down to the bland wallpaper. There is seating inside for around 25 I suppose... didn't do a count, and there are a number of tables outside.

We ordered 3 starters... 2 onion bhaji, and 1 mixed pakora. The starters were very nicely presented and cooked, and portion sizes were good. Dips were a chutney similar to mango chutney (not so good) and a mint sauce (quite nice). Main courses were a butter chicken, lamb rogan josh and a chicken korma. All 3 dishes were similar in taste and presentation to those that i would get back in the UK. Portion sizes again were good and the meat, all cooked in the tandoori oven, was tender and tasty. We also had plain naan and onion naan (nicely cooked) and pulao rice. The rice unfortunately was not like the rice back home, it was local hom mali rice so didn't have the texture that i'm used to but was still very tasty. We didn't pour any beer down our necks, as we just wanted to give the food a go, so 6 waters were ordered. The bill came to just under 1,900 THB, which I think was pretty good value.

If you like Indian food that's pretty similar to that back in the UK, this is well worth a visit. They are open from mid-day to 11pm (would be nice if they opened later, prefer a curry after beer, not before)

• Like 2

Too expensive! Just like all the others...

I picked up their take-away menu yesterday.

Here are a few examples. Chicken Korma 240 baht. Lamb roganjosh 320 baht. Prawn Madras 320 baht. Dal(!) 90 baht...it's lentils!! Mutter paneer(peas and cheese)240 baht. Butter naan 50 baht..

These are ridiculous prices for a hole in the wall resto in the 'burbs!

• Like 2

Air con? Good review. however, I wound consider 1900 baht for 3 for a feed with only water to be a bit pricey but everyone's perception of value is their own. Indian always seems to be expensive in Thailand...I guess it's good I only get a hankering for it a couple times a year.

• Like 1

.......i'm waiting till Jingy rocks up and gives two penneth............

Bloke down our way made the mistake of going to a recommended restaurant without getting the nod from Jingy and was sick as a dog all week.....

Why take the risk i say ?

Edited by properperson

.......i'm waiting till Jingy rocks up and gives two penneth............

Bloke down our way made the mistake of going to a recommended restaurant without getting the nod from Jingy and was sick as a dog all week.....

Why take the risk i say ?

To think and live for oneself?

Speaking of darkside Indians, here's a shout for The Fishermans Rest out on Mabprachan. We recently had a very nice meal there comprising;

Plain Popadums (8)

Masala Popadums (4)

(with mango chutney, onions salad, lime pickle and green gloop)

Chicken tikka

Beef Sheekh Kebab

Onion Bhajis

Lamb vindaloo

Chicken korma

another Lamb curry (name not recalled)

Tadka dal

1 plain rice

Keema nan

Garlicnan

Paratha

Total, including 4 or 5 beers (maybe more) THB 2180.00.

Everything was good (better than I have had in England recently).

Speaking of darkside Indians, here's a shout for The Fishermans Rest out on Mabprachan. We recently had a very nice meal there comprising;

Plain Popadums (8)

Masala Popadums (4)

(with mango chutney, onions salad, lime pickle and green gloop)

Chicken tikka

Beef Sheekh Kebab

Onion Bhajis

Lamb vindaloo

Chicken korma

another Lamb curry (name not recalled)

Tadka dal

1 plain rice

Keema nan

Garlicnan

Paratha

Total, including 4 or 5 beers (maybe more) THB 2180.00.

Everything was good (better than I have had in England recently).

Now that's a feed...for just a smidge more than the dry meal at Raj India.

As all ingredients including long grain/basmati rice are available in Makro etc. a chicken madras, vindaloo, rogon josh etc can all be made for appox 50 Baht. As world standards are 3x cost Indian food should be in the region of 150 Baht for main course and pilauo rice whereas all charge in the region of 270-320 hence not representing good value. 1,900 could eat all inclusive Hilton buffet so definattely shows it is expensive.

Not tried Fishermans, planning too and not heard anything bad about it.

I have tried Ram Indian and I agree with the OP, I was impressed with the food I ordered. Regarding the cost, most Indians here seem to be on the high side but I am ok with that. You pay for what you get.

I will be going back....only negative for me here with Indians is they don't have that kick of what I would get back home in Manchester.

As all ingredients including long grain/basmati rice are available in Makro etc. a chicken madras, vindaloo, rogon josh etc can all be made for appox 50 Baht. As world standards are 3x cost Indian food should be in the region of 150 Baht for main course and pilauo rice whereas all charge in the region of 270-320 hence not representing good value. 1,900 could eat all inclusive Hilton buffet so definattely shows it is expensive.

Indeed. Go to the Hilton on Thursday and they have Indian dishes in the buffet anyway, and very nice they are too. They should do more of them. Even Dicey Reilly used to do a good Indian buffet for 300B and I dont suppose they lost money on it.

Indian food in Pattaya is absurdly overpriced for no valid reason at all and the result seems to be that most Indian restaurants are empty most of the time, with the handful of rare customers having to pay for the entire day's running costs.

To cover the costs of imported things like lentils Indian dishes should be perhaps 10-20% more expensive than similar Thai dishes, but no more.

• Like 1

Tried a take away last night for the 2nd time, first time we were not not too impressed around 1,700 Baht for 2 adults and 1 child.

This time just me.

popperdoms x 2pc small and folded over, cost 40 Baht

Chicken Samosa x 2pc med size 70 Baht

Butter Chicken, plenty of chicken breast, bland 250 Baht

Plain Naan bread, good size, cut into slice, tasteless, 40 Baht

garlic naan, good size, tasty 60 Baht

Total 460 Baht, ok, but not great, especially for a take away on the darkside, a bit on the high size price wise. will try 1 more time some other dishes and if its the same, will stop.